season ii - ep5

HEROES

 

 Episode Five – The Trick

“don’t tell this to anyone yet.”

Key finally spoke after ten minutes of mute silence. With as much control as he could muster, he tried to keep calm and look at the positive side of the situation but he found none. His life is all the more in danger because of this revelation. Minah on the other hand is delighted to know that her trigger is someone she knows very well. She always envisioned her trigger to be a rude and evil man who will force her to set off- but Key. Key is her friend. 

“ i promise i wont tell anyone, we are friends.” She reaches her hand out to his and he hesitates. 

“ maybe we should stop the calming exercise,” Key jokes and Minah chuckles. 

“ i agree, i can manage on my own. But Key, dont we have to tell atleast someone? Onew- maybe?” 

But he disagrees. He has other plans. 


“lets keep it to ourselves for now, i don’t want them to have more reasons to lock you up. Or even me.” Key choked at those last words and its like an unspoken rule was passed between them. They must keep quiet because as valuable information as it may seem ; no one must know. The freedom they have now is limited and they wont trade it for captivity. 

For Key its as simple as keeping their mouth shut and stop trying to influence Minah’s emotions. Simple and easy. 

“ look, i have to go. I still have to attend my classes.” He offers weakly and she does ot even question him. 

Making his way out of the palace, he feels the cool wind on his face and wonders if his destiny is really this. To be the trigger. To be part of the covenant and live in secret and most of all – to have no one that he can turn to. Independence is not that bad ; he contemplates. But there are moments like this when he wishes that someone will be there to cover up for him. Someone who will tell him thats its all going to be fine. 

Yes. He has Onew and his friends to help him. 

He has the masked man to save his life. 

But in reality, it all boils down to him alone. Every decision is his. Taking a sharp breath, he walks slowly to his car and is startled as his phone rings. 

“ Key! Its Jino-where are you?”

“ im on my way to the school,” he answers as he starts the engine. 

“ did you visit Minah? Jonghyun is on his way there, you might see him.”

“i dont think so, im in my car- ” 

The two continued to talk about random things when in truth, Jino just wants to talk to Key. The young man feels he is responsible for the other’s sanity. Unknown to others, Jino feels that Key is not fit to live their life no matter how important of an asset he is. Key had a good life and its all chaotic- now that he is with the covenant. So this is the least he could do- really. Just talk to him like nothing is wrong. 

Like ask him if he is okay and what subjects he is taking. Basic. 

Key finally makes his way out of the gates and failed to see that Jonghyun entered the Palace. He had been thinking from his way here, of what he could argue to keep Minah from being entered into the capsule. No one deserves the seclusion, add the fact that Minah had become a fast friend- or maybe, more than that. 

His steps are halted as he felt an unmistakable chill in the air. He felt this before, way too many times if you ask him. 

“ jessica” he breathed hard and he could feel her walking over to him. He did not have to turn around to make sure that he is correct. 

“ you’re kidding yourself, ” she quickly says and he snaps his head to face her. 

“ stay out of this. ” he responds and keeps on walking, but the chill in the air tripled and he had no other choice but to stop. Sooner or later, she will attack him. That is how stubborn she is, 

“ Jonghyun, she is dangerous. She can kill you- everyone of us, she will be better off in the capsule. Don’t be an idiot” she snaps and as much as he wants to fight back, he cannot blow off on jessica like that. After all, they are close friends. Lovers for a while. 

“ you don’t understand, Minah needs friends, she needs us to help her and not to be imprisoned again,” he reasoned out but Jessica smirked at him. 

“friends? Don’t think i see the way you look at her? Your judgement is clouded. Clearly.” Her tone is laced with irritation and jealousy but jonghyun did not back down.

“ think what you want, but im doing my best to keep her out of the capsule.” 

Jessica watched him walk away and could not stop herself from keeping the cold intense. No matter how many times she told herself that what happened between them is over- she can’t just hand him over to danger like this. Jonghyun kept on walking towards the hall where Minah is supposed to be staying and she followed suit. 

“ you’re here!” Minah practically tackled jonghyun to the ground. She loves his presence more than she should, like no one can come to her anymore. He is holding a box of her favorite chocolates and handed it over. 

“ as promised.” He says and Minah offers him a small smile. 

“its a bit cold.” Minah said out loud and Jonghyun imeediately picked it up. He looked over to the door to see Jessica opening it with a smile on her face, directed to Minah. 

“you’re mina, right?” she greeted sweetly and Minah immediately relaxed. Jonghyun knew this. This is how Jessica gets them all. With her sweet smile, plus- she looks like a barbie doll a girl never had. Girls all envy or adore her. Jonghyun gave her a pointed look but she dismissed it. 

“yes, thats me.”

“im jessica, a friend of jonghyun.” He did not miss the sarcasm in her voice and he noticed that she is holding a bag of clothes.

“ i got you some clothes,”

She offered and Minah’s eyes lit up. She quickly took the bag and Jessica suggested what clothes will fit her well. Jessica is practically dangling her manipulative power to jonghyun. 

“ thank youu- ” minah kept on saying and jonghyun just smiled, atleast she is having fun. Minah excused herself to try on the clothes and a small smile played on Jessica’s lips.

“ you’re an evil witch.” Jonghyun complimented and Jessica seemed unfazed, 

“ well thank you very much Mr. Time stopper, i try my best.” 

“ what re you up to?” he inquires and Jessica looks at him,

“ nothing, i just want to see whats so special about her.”

And he finally catches what this is all about. This is more that Jessica’s duty as one of the elements. This has something to do with what they shared. 

“ jessica- look,” he starts but he is cut off.

“dont be so full of yourself, this is not about us anymore. As much as i hate you- i don’t want to see you die. No. Not yet. ”

Jonghyun wanted to reach out and embrace her but he knows thats not an option right now. Maybe jessica is an ally after all. 

// 

Taemin’s POV. 

I open my eyes and immediately felt a strong sense of panic. I don’t know where i am but as a i let my surroundings sink in- i remember that i am at my room. But how did i get here? The last thing i remember is being in practice, all drenched in sweat and tired. Then i went for a quick shower and was about to head back to my room. And nothing. Apparently, bolting upright was a bad idea. My head hurts- like it will crack open. But there is nothing more taxing than seeing minho right next to me. So- he was lying right next to me? 

“what are you doing here?” i ask and i found it kinda rude as Minho looked hurt. “i mean, id on’t really remember , how i got here.” 

“ you were-” minho started but i know better and my stomach sunk. 

“. Another black out.” I walk over to the mirror and look at myself and slap myself. Why did this have to happen again? I hate blacking out. I HATE Taeyeon taking over me. Minho walks over to me and places his hand on my shoulder. 

“ i know you don’t like it when it happens, but- ”

I cut him off, i don’t want him to think that i don’t understand any of this. “ i get it, its important to know the future. Its just- i don’t think anyone would want to share their body or consciousness with anyone.” I reply bitterly and minho gives me a small smile. “so, what did she say?”

“ Tiffany, she is tiffany talking to one of us.”

“ maybe we should just keep out and alert others,” I offer and he seems to agree. I walk over to my desk, seeing that i have not much homweork for the week and i find my phone. Minho is pacing back and forth and i offer him a drink. As he sits down on the couch, he notices the invitation on the floor. Damn. 

“ you going?” he asks and i wish i cleaned up. Its a party hosted by Hara and it will be on the beach. Like a send off before our big dance competetion. But i don’t have anyone to go there with. Key cannot go as well as Jino who i practically begged to come. But it dawned on me, Minho will definitely be invited as well. 

“ not sure, i have no one to go with.” I say bluntly but minho was quick to answer,

“i will go with you- its supposed to be fun. I went to one of hara’s party last year- its really fun.” Oh. Maybe it won’t be that bad at all. After about a minute a say a quick OKAY. At the time it seemed like a good idea but if we are talking about my masterplan of not caring about minho. For my plan to ignore my feelings for him, then the decision is a complete failure. 

“ Hara seems to be too busy to give me hell, all thanks to the party” i exclaim cheerfully and fix myself. I seriously need to eat now, Minho seems to catch my predicament and helps me get my things. 

“ lets go our for lunch?” i nod to him and we walk down the halls. I see jaejin giving me a pointed look and i just shrugged. 

Maybe i have been going about this the wrong way. I should not ignore him at all. Probably, my feelings will just wither away. But seeing him walk beside me, with his dishiveled hair that is not offending at all. With his confident stride and that sweater just hugs his body in the right ways and- WHAT THE HELL AM I THINKING? 

“where do you want to eat?”

He asks me, i guess for the second time and i can only weakly reply, “you choose- im too hungry-” shoot. Nice, just the prefect answer to sound like a malnourished kid. As much as i don’t want to do it. I always find myself wanting to impress Minho. I may not be the all important Taeyeon- but I am Taemin. 

He leads me to a breakfast place and i raise my eyebrows. 

“i love breakfast food.” He explains and i follow him. 

As soon as we ate, we fall into a comfortable conversation. But it took a wrong turn when i brought up the subject of minah. 

“im with jonghyun on this one,” he tells me and i admire his loyalty. 

“i guess you’re right, and i think the girl trusts him.”

Minho sniggers at my comment and i throw a tissue at him. 

“what was that for you git? ”

“i dont think trust is the right word.”

“you think she’s inlove with him?” i press and he nods. Minho is much more perceptive than i thought. 

“how bout you?” he asks me and i am dumbfounded. Before i can even control myself, i immediately reply,

“do i love you?” i say and Minho almost chokes at his orange juice. Then i realize he was talking about a different thing. My face flushed but Minho is so kind that he rides along the conversation. 

“ I know you love me, thats a given.” He jokes and I keep my eyes steady- trying to sell the fact that this is all but a usual banter between the two of us. 

I smile at him and i continue to eat, i suddenly feel like throwing up. 

//

Taemin’s POV
Hara’s beach party 


Minho was not wrong. This party is the best one ive ever been to. Its common knowledge that Hara’s father is a politician and was probably the one who gave us the permit to trash this place. Drinks are everywhere and the local band sounds so good. I even had the time to get to know alot oe people from the university. Surprisingly they all seem to know me. 

“ told you.” I was handed by a beer and i looked up at Minho. 

“key will kill you if he finds out you’re handing me beers.” I joke and he does not seem to care. 

“ you’re legal, and this is the party-” he reasons out and i agree. The others start to gather at the dancefloor and maybe its the alcohol that made me falsely confident. I took minho’s arms to drag him towards the dance floor. He started to complain and reason out that he cannot dance but i dismissed it immediately. 

“ you’re crazy, im just gonna step all over your foot.” He warns me but i don’t care, 

“ its not the waltz or something, just casual dancing.” I smile at him and probably even winked. I can sense his discomfort but i quickly danced with the rest of the guests and soon, Minho loosened up as well. 

There is something about this moment that does not seem all real to me but i grasp it anyway. Minho can dance, thats for sure. 

“ Liar.” I spat at him and he only shrugs, 

“ what? Im just so perfect,”

I stick my tongue out and he laughs. Hara calls us out, its time to hit the beach. Everyone rushed to the water but i , along with minho decided to stay in the land. We both laughed as we saw the people we know go absolutely crazy. Good thing no one was drowning. Or probably they will, with a bottle of alcohol and more. 

“lets take a dip, ” he whispers in my ear and i know for a fact that it is an honest invitation but my brain is in the gutter and i cant help but blush. Damn him. 

“sure.” Is almsot stutter and i run towards the beach, particularly avoiding the crowd who are obviously trashing around and not doing actual swimming. The water is cold and bearable, i swim further away and minho is beside me. 

“its crazy, ” i gesture towards the others, apparently starting a game of sorts. 

“ it is, but its the only way they can let loose.” He replies and we swim a few more till we couldn’t feel the ground anymore “ Look, i know you don’t like whats happening to you” i seriously hope he will stop this speech but then again, there is no stopping him. Once he launches is guilt trip. “its impossible, what we are asking of you- but please understand.”

The chill of the water is starting to make me feel colder than usual and my mouth started to open and i spoke what i thought. 

“ofcourse i don’t like it. But i know how important taeyeon’s ability is- not only for you but for everyone. If that means i have to spare a few memories- then maybe, its worth it.” I heave a sigh of relief as i finished and Minho just looks at me then breaks into a wide grin. 

“ i could kiss you right now, ” he exclaims and i know that he means he is so happy that i accept, but there is some hope in me. 

“what’s stopping you?” i answer him and i notice his mood shift, 

“don’t you ever stop? ”

“ no, i don’t. It seems like i have no boundaries with you. That is. ” i smile to him and he looks up in the sky. 

“do you have any idea how that sounds?”

“ its the truth.”

We both stared at the starry sky the rest of the party and swam when we felt like it. I guess we are back to what we used to be, even more. But as much as I like what we have now, i am still longing for more. Wheter it will be good for me or not- i just need more. 

// 

Key’s Point of view 

I am granted one quite afternoon for that day. No worries and issues about the covenant. Its a good thing as i need to finish up on my reading. My thoughts suddenly are straying towards the masked man and i know that what i feel for him is irrational. Maybe im just thankful that he saved our lives and he seems to genuinely care for me. But there is something in the way he held me that made me feel otherwise. 

Smiling to myself, i take out another book and answer some of my assignments. This is funny, we are in the midst of a war and here i am, asnwering my psychology homework under the tree. Suddenly, there is rustling in the bushes and i turn around only to find a kid. Not just any kid. 

“Yoogeun - ” the name escapes my lips and he walks over to me. I take him in my arms and he seems to tighten his grip in me. “Yoogeun, what are you doing here?”

He looks at me and looks behind him, only to reveal someone. Tiffany. I shiver as i see her. I remember what sha can do and what she did to me. And most of all, what she did to Onew. How can she come out in broad daylight like this? I tighten my grip towards yoogeun and tiffany gives me a smile. 

“ hello Key, its been a while, dont you agree?”

“what the hell are you doing here?” I hiss at her and look around. I can call anyone but tiffany is quick and she will surely stop me from any movement. So i stand my ground and try my best to access her emotions. She is calm, i sense no threat. 

“ im sad that you don’t want to see me , after all – why are you son angry. Onew-oppa did not die.” She replies innocently and i feel irritated. How can she talk like this? 

“don’t even speak his name. You killed him, as far as im concerned.”

She smiles at me once more and yoogeun lets go of me. I try reaching out to him but he escapes and goes to tiffany. I gather that he is fond of her. 

“what do you want?” i demand and distance myself away from him.

“ i know your secret Kibum, i know what you can do.” I stop short of her words and kept my face calm. There is no way im going to show any weakness. 

“ KEY- YOU ARE THE TRIGGER.” She smiled slyly and i suddenly wonder if they knew all along. Did the resistance know the truth about me even before the incident with Minah? I kept quiet for moment and tried to figure out what i will say. 

“you have no business with that,” i snap back but she walks towards me.

“ oh yes, i do. The resistance wants you. ”

“ im never going over to your side.” I said finally but tiffany seems unfazed by this. 

“ okay, then why don’t you look at it this way. You, in exhangce of yoogeun’s life.”

“what are you talking about??” i practically shout at her. 

“I mean, if you don’t come with me. I will kill Yoogeun.”

I look at Yoogeun and his face is now drained of color. At a young age, he surely understands what tiffany said. 

“ you wouldn’t do that.”

“watch me.” She moves quickly and places a knife right infornt of yoogeun’s chest. 

“ OKAY. OKAY. I will come. ” i reply and its the dumbest thing ive done. Falling blindly into this tarp, but i can’t juts let that happen to yoogeun. “if i come with you, you will set yoogeun free and send him directly to the manor. ”

“DONE DEAL.” She tells me finally and they both walk away from me. 

I need to find someone. Taemin and Minho haven’t returned from their party and i don’t blame them. They need the time to detach themselves from all the trouble. Jonghyun is in the palace with Minah and Jino is with professor K in the manor. Which only leaves me with one person, Onew.

Contemplating what I will tell him, i make my way towards their apartment. The door is open and i make my way inside, only to be greeted by Luna.

“ Key! How nice of you to visit.” My heart plummets as i see her, all domesticated and . She is wearing an apron and is obviously cooking for Onew. In a normal situation, i should be happy for him for finding such fine woman to be with. But this is not a normal situation. NO matter how many times i try to tell myself to quit thinking like this- i could not even stop. 

“ i just passed by- and i thought of dropping a visit. Is Jino here?” I lied but someone answers for me. 

“ he went with professor K – he is in the palace.” Onew emerges from his room, fresh from the shower. I swallow hard as i take him in and i look away as fast i could. I suddenly act like their countertop is the mos interesting thing in the world. “Key?” he walks over to me as he puts his shirt on. How can an innocent and usual act affect me this much? 

“ uh- yeah- i passed by.” I mumble and he looks at Luna. 
“ i guess we will be having a guest for breakfast then? ”

I am mortified by his invitation and the more alarming thing at hand is thrown at the window. 

“ no. You don’t have too. Im going, really.” But Luna wouldn’t hear my side and she quickly dismisses my denial. 

“ No. Its okay, i cooked too much and besides, the more- the merrier.” She smiles sweetly, like she means it. And thats what irks me the most, she seems genuinely interested and welcomng. 

So this is how i found myself in the most awkward breakfast i ever had. I want to blurt something about what happened and what i am about to do. But it seems inappropriate at the moment. I mean, how can i both tell them that tiffany wanted an exchange for yoogeun? How dod i tell them that i will go over the resistance and pray that i am strong enough to escape or im just counting on the masked man to help me out. Well,t he latter is what im really hoping for.

“eat up,” Onew says brightly. Its painful to see him this happy and obviously, im not anywhere near his happy list. Luna is. Luna is on the motherin top. Im so glad GD is not here, i don’t need anyone reading my mind. 

“ y-y-yes.” I asnwer and try to chews and swallow. My heart sinks as i realize that the food is delicious. 

So this is what hopeless feels like huh? I wouldn’t wish this feeling for anyone. No matter how eveil they are. I could not take this anymore and i bid them goodbye, but Onew is too perceptive for his own good that he follows me outside. 

“is there something you want to tell me?”

This is the time i should tell the truth but i don’t. Somehow, im going to do something so dumb and i am aware of it. But i cannot stop. I need to do this on my own. Now i understand what Taemin felt like.

“no, nothing. I just passed by.”

He tugs at my hand and i try to keep myself intact. 

“ are you sure?” he asks me once more and i speak up. “can you promise me one thing? Please don’t be angry at me.” He raises his eyebrow and i smile at him. 

“ Key, its not like you to be this cryptic. ” he jokes and i smile even wider, 

“well maybe you don’t know me that well. ”

// 

With every step i take, my resolve is always proven wrong. But i need to do this alone. Once, i went with jonghyun and minho to VI and that did not go well as they were hurt. But now, whatever happens- it will only be me. Plus i gather that this is for the better. If i die, Minah will never set off. Though i think the resistance won’t kill me. But its better for the covenant to have someone like Yoogeun. A healer. Rather than me, an emotion meddler and a nuclear trigger. I almost laugh at the irony of it all. 

I am greeted by Tiffany who offers me a smile. 

“ Yoogeun is on his way to the manor.”

I only nod. I dont think i can question him right now. But i asked Jino to stay at the manor and sned me a message once someone comes in.i spare him the details. 

“we are not really that bad, we just want you on our side. ”

My eyes take in the surroundings and its nothing but a nice home. Tiffany is there as well as the man who can step on shadows. I also see a woman with orange hair, studying me closely. 

“ yah! He is so pretty! ”

“ hyuna, he is not a plaything.” Tiffany snapped. This seems surreal. They look just like us, normal people living together. I can even see textbooks and a calculator. 

“G.O! FIX YOUR THINGS!” Tiffany scolded and the shadow-stepper looked nothing but a boy in his track suit, gathering his things. Tiffany leads me to a quaint room, telling me that i will stay their for the night. 

Surprisingly, they did not take my phone and check me for anything. I look and see almost a hundred missed calls from almost everyone. But i only checked jino’s message. Yoogeun is indeed in their hands. I fell asleep faster than i anitcipated. 

“ ssshhhhh.” I hear it in my ear and i open my eyes to see that the toom is dark. How long have i slept? The lamp is opened and i see the msked man infront of me. I sigh in relief. Atleast my plan is working. He came to save me. Now isnt that so dependable of me? 

“what are you doing here?”

“save your .” He replies smugly and i sit up. We both look around and he pushes the window open but before we can even move, a light went off. I am momentarily blinded. 

“going somewhere?”

Tiffany calls out and i know just what this is. G.O is stopping us from moving. Hyuna comes to the room, clearly sleepy. 

“ what is this? Im sleepy.” She complains and I look at the masked man. But he seems to be confident, somehow. 

“ Key, we had a deal.” Tiffany says coldly and i only look away. 

“ i cannot stay here- And i cant let you kill Yoogeun.”

The masked man takes my word as his cue. He is incredibly quick and invinsible to G.O’s power. The other three looks stunned as he moved freely away. Tiffany and Hyung lunges at him but like some shield i cannot see- they cannot touch him. And just like that. My great escape. 

He whisks me away and I can feel the shiver in his body. 

“stay still.” He tells me and everything goes into a blur. He is moving really really fast. Like flash. How can someone have these abilities?

Who is he? All the more, what is he? 

// 

Waking up, i realize that i am again, on another place. Then i remember what happened. My escape. Well, more of, the masked man showing off how unibelievably powerful he is. And it dawned on me that i shouldn’t have done that. The resistance will now track him down as well. 

I expected a grand escape of blood and violence, but no. This man took me out of there grasps way too easily. is he a member of the covenant? 

“ aaaaaaaahhhh!” i shout in frustration. Why did I even think that getting him involved was good. 

I sit up, trying to look at the my surroundings. Its a large empty room. Well, except for the bed and another door. The walls are lined with maps, articles and pictures. I walk over to them, all of which are connected to the covenant and the resistance. Stalker? I hear the knob turning and i brace myself. So. I get to see him. 

The door opens and the one that comes out is the last person i want to see right now. 

“ Onew?” i say, in a state of shock. He looks up at me and i realize that it is indeed him. But- not really. This Onew is different. Older. But how can that be possible? He is taller. His muscles are more defined and his skin is a bot- just a bit darker. And his aura is definitely different. 

“ you- you can’t be-” i stutter and i back away.

“can’t be what? Hello key. I am Onew.” He offers me his smile and that alone answered my question. He is onew. 

How can this be? 

“but you can’t be onew. You’re different.”

“let me rephrase that- I am onew, Onew at 28 years old.” He replies non chalantly and it all made crazy sense to me and i couldn’t even move for the life of me. He takes initiative and moves closer. Suddenly, the room seems so much smaller as he backs me on a wall. 

“i missed you,” he says earnestly and my breathignis becoming way too erratic. His hands travek down my cheeks and he seems in awe of everything. Of me. “its really you.” He whispers and i can only nod. 

Then he does the last thing I expect him too. Past or future or even present Onew. 

He leaned into me and kissed me, his eyes closed as his sweet mouth opened. My hands pulled his face to mine and my spine tingled and my knees went weak when my tongue tasted his.

I pulled away from him and almost fell against the wall. "I don’t even know you," I groaned.


"When can I see you again?" I was trying to catch my breath. There was no way I was going to leave without knowing when I'd see him again and have my questions answered.

"later this evening, you need to go back to the manor. They are worried about you. I am worried. " He offered eagerly. I nodded, and catch his words. Oh hell. They will all hate me for the stunt I pulled, I don’t’ even want to go back right now. He hands me his jacket for warmth and I take it. 

I wished him a day, opened the door, and was almost out into the hallway when I heard him close behind me. " it , just one more."
I spun around, dropping my jacket with a thud onto the hardwood floor. We crashed into each other, fingers in hair, lips parted, tongues dancing against each other. I couldn't breathe, and I didn't care.

ing best kiss. Ever.