{2/8}

HEROES

Somehow, I knew that I shouldn’t even be living this life anymore. Well, I should not even be close to people. But my parents insist that I live a normal life. Normal? How can they even say that? Nothing about us is normal per se. The Covenant, the oath we swore eversince we came of age- 16. I can still remember that day, when I realized the changes that are happening to me. I am inhumanely strong. But the Council tells me that this is not my full capacity. That i have more in me, that everyone one of us is special. Till now, I haven’t found out what my true power is. 


“ I hate council meetings.” Jonghyun exclaimed loudly, just enough for the council senior, Seunghyun to hear. He shoots us a glare and Jino coughs wildly (and unwillingly). 

“IT WAS NOT ME! Stop doing that telekenisis thing with my throat! ” He complains and I chuckle. Jonghyun hides behind Minho, trying to avoid anymore of Seunghyun’s wrath. 

“ He’s here. ” Minho informs us and he is telling the truth. Professor Kim is here. The head of the council in this university. Not just the usual one, but the Covenant. We are posing as a special group that the professor is training because of our expertise in the subect of science. The university agreed, only because we funded this club ourselves. 

For years, our families have produced offsprings with extraordinary ability. And in secrecy, we swore that no one will find out who we are. That we will not turn against each other. We will live normal lives and be protected. We will look out for each other. 

But things went for the worst this past year, a resistance was formed. The professor clears his throat and the room goes silent. We are seated at the back. My friends from my childhood years are wit me . Luckily, our parents decided that we should all live in one property- A Manor. Jonghyun can stop time, Minho can be invinsible, Jino on the other hand can fly. Pretty cool huh? 

“ is this all?” He asks seunghyun and he nods. Seven of us in total in this school. The four of us, seunghyun, jiyong and yesung. 

“ very well, the las time i checked, there was around fifteen of you. ” I cringe, of course. Those who turned their backs from the covenant are gone. 

“ they are with that resistance.” Minho gritted his teeth. I understand, the resistance members killed his father. Last year, when he decided to start a massive campaign to end them. 

“ Choi Minho, am i right?” he asks and minho replies with a resounding yes. 

“ Your father was very brave, going for what he believed in. But you can do better, just stay calm and- ”

“ How are we supposed to stay calm? Every night- they are trying to kill us or the humans in this university just to send the message.” Jiyong complains. He is also a senior like seunghyun, I gather that his power is to read minds. 

“ Jiyong, I am taking care that. This school, i am trying to shield this place. ” he replies patiently. 

“ well, today’s meeting is all about the new assignment , as you know- our former member Tiffany is on the loose.”

My heart sank. Tiffany. She was one of us, a sophomore like us. She can drain energy, make you weak with her touch. And im not talking about that methaporically. But one day she came to us, telling us false beliefs like she was brainwashed. She said goodbye, with tears in her eyes. She is joining the resistance. 

“ her powers are out of control, seunghyun was able to subdue her but not for long.” Seunghyun stands up and explains to us, 

“ I kept her in a cellar, per instruction of professor kim. But she can’t be there for long, last night, she told me that they are looking for her. ”

“ they- who?” jonghyun asked. 

“ there is a strong resistance group in the university, they are trying to break the barrier that professor kim created. Tiffany let it slip that they are coming to rescue her. As she can weaken the barrier.”

“ her power, it can drain the barrier that was created,” I added. Who knew that Tiffany’s power can be that strong? If they get to her, the barrier will be lost and they can do anything with this university. With this town in general. I can see the frustration in the Professor’s eyes. For years, he worked hard to keep this place and this town safe. But now, all because of greed- it will all go to waste. 

“ so, tonight. In the library, i will let tiffany out and we must transport her to the palace.”

Seunghyun lays out the plan. The Palace, this is like the ‘white house’ of our kind. Our officials resides there and people like Tiffany, can be subdued. We must get her there, no questions asked. I am stationed in the library, I should be looking out for the people just incase someone tries to snatch tiffany in broad daylight. You never know. 

“ yah! I got the evening rescue!” Jino complained, he was given that task to go on the evening shift because his class schedule is full. 

“ Im assigned to go to the palace first- and I have soccer practice.” Minho tells us as he picks up his bag and Jonghyun turns to me. 



“ Im free – im off duty!”

“er.” I cursed at him. 

We make our way towards the school grounds, like normal people. Minho is a frontrunner to be the ace of the soccer varsity even though he is just a sophomore. Jino on the other hand, he is a Student Council member- his childish demeanor makes him easily close to others.

Jonghyun- he is more on the performing arts. I on the other hand, well, what do i do? Im a dork, a science geek. They tell me that my intellect might be my ultimate power. Photographic memory? Check. Maybe it is. Maybe its not. But i still know, that somewhere deep inside me is a power greater than anything else. More importantly, it scares me. To the point that I don’t want to know anymore. 

This university. West Bridges. This town. Its important to me. 

Making my way to the library, I sigh as I have to do this all alone without my friends. The place is almost packed but luck is on my side and im able to find a seat. Leafing through the pages of an encyclopedia. 

Then i feel someone’s eyes on me. I hate it when someone stares at me, it alarms my whole body. Turning towards the source, i see him. 
Interesting. He holds my gaze for a moment then I had to look away. I do not need to get side tracked, I have to keep my senses up if i want this mission to succeed. But curiosity won me over, turning around, I chance a look at him again. 

He is now listening to the girl talk, maybe he came here for a study group. I haven’t seen him before, or maybe we don’t go round on the same circle. Now, if I was a nomal person- I should probably ask Jino, ask around who he is. Maybe get to know him and ask him out for coffee. But that is another person, a life I will never have. Why would I risk being close to a human like him? I could almost hear Jonghyun lecturing me, 

Unlike me, he is unfazed of the whole thing. His motto is to live the life and be happy as long as you can. But that’s not me. 
I receive a message from TOP and i take a glance at it. 

“ I am in the cellar with tiffany, I need your help to restrain her. Meet me outside the library.”

Finally. I can get out of here, I cannot waste my time thinking of unecessary things. Making my way out, a junior, Choi siwon spots me and calls me over. 

“ Onew! You still up for the party?”

I groan. But ofcourse. 

“ can’t I pass? Im sure you will gather enough money - ” he easily cuts me off, 

“ No, you already said NO to being auctioned at the event. The least you can do is show up and play with your band for free”

“ did Jonghyun say yes? He is the vocalist after all, ” I make my way to the entrance, not wanting to talk anymore. I would love to play for that event of course, but this is the least of my worries right now. 

“ oh! He did! And Jino gave a big smile- minho on the other hand asked me to ask you.” He called out and was shushed by the librarian and all i gave him was a thumbs up sign as I went out the library. 

Maybe at some point, Jonghyun is right. I should stop worrying too much. TOP immediately walks beside me and he seems lax. Like nothing is going on. This is why i like TOP not only as a senior or a sunbaenim. I also admire him as a person, being our leader in this school and a candidate to be one of the leaders in the palace. He is strong, as soon as I learned that his power is telekenisis I was floored. And all of us were envying him. No two powers are alike you see. 

“ How is she? ”

“ she is restrained, she won’t be draining any of our schoolmates or people in this town.” He replies and blows his coffee then takes a sip. 

“ she goes out? -”

“ apparently, for the past weeks, she’s been draining people from town. Most of them tourists. ”

“ Why is she still strong? “

“ she drained in excess Onew, she disobeyed her limit when she was trained. That’s why she is going manic- ” 

How can Tiffany turn against us? I understand that she’s got an ambition. She doesn’t want to stay in secrecy and have power, that’s why The professor trained her to learn the meaning of her limit. As strong as she is, She is prone to insanity. To a power too much, that she won’t be able to control herself. That only happened once before and that made her realize. But everything changed when the resistance started. Everyone else started to question their stand on the issue. 

The war started when my father died. 

“ Onew? Are you ready? ” 

“ yes. Yes. ” He leads me to a staircase, just beside the library. Before, i thought that this was a storage room slash janitor’s closet. But apaprently, there is an opening. 

“ how did you find that cellar door? ”

“ Professor told me, this is owned by the palace. Incase some of us go astray, ”

We go lower and I could feel the cold encasing me. The darkness is permeating but TOP clicks open a switch and I spot her. Tiffany. She is definitely in her limit. Its like the last time that happened. She is pale. is dry. Her eyes are sullen. This is the phase just before she turns manic. One more person and she will totally lose control. Her eyes flicker open as I come close. We were close friends, we all are. Everyone of our kind in this town are close to each other. Like brothers and sisters. 

“ onew oppa, ” she greets me sweetly, like she always does. Like nothing happened. 

“ how are you feeling? You shouldn’t have done this, you know what will happen to you next.”

“ but oppa, i will be so powerful.” The innocence in her eyes are heart breaking. Its like, she really believes that what she is doing is true. That being out of control is a choice she must make. 

“ there is no use talking to her onew, they completely brainwashed her. ”

They. We do not know who they are. But the resistance has a face. His name is ‘ Z ’ A masked man who according to reports can push thoughts in your head. That is how he recruited his first followers. And now their force is threatening us. Threatening to come out in the public and bring about chaos. ANARCHY. 

“ tiffany, do you remember when we were kids? It was always us. With jonghyun, minho and jino.” She nods her head and continues. “do you really want to hurt us? 

“but oppa- i will be strong now. “ she holds my hand, cold. Sweaty. She grips me for dear life. “ we will all be strong, then we can rule this world. We will travel- we can have it all.” 

“ Tiffany, but this. You know what happens when you reach your limit, you might not be the same again. ”

“ doesn’t matter oppa, we will rule the world.” He tells me this over and over again. Like a mantra that she picked up. 
And i feel it again. I have failed. I always felt that I have to look out for them. We lived in my Father’s manor. My father, he is the leader of that manor and as his son the responsibility is passed on to me. I am not living up to what my father wanted. Did he die in vain? 
I slump on the chair beside Tiffany and TOP calls my attention. 

“ you need to go up, Professor wants to tell you something. We will meet up in here, at around 10. Inside the library. Palace guards will come there.” 

I say yes and my heels. Whatever happens today, I should be able to transport Tiffany safely. If its the last thing I do. 
Entering the professor’s room, I glance at him. He is currently grading papers and his brow is furrowed. He may seem like a usual biology professor but the truth is- the zone he creates. His power to create a protective zone is keeping all the civilians alive. It is taking a toll on him and he tells me this. But he is only 40 years old. 

“ i don’t think the zones you are creating doesn’t make you hair gray – its those papers you grade.”

He looks up at me and gives me a smile. 

“ well, i think so too. ”

Walking towards him, he moves the papers away from him and tells me to sit down. 

“ how is tiffany?”

“ she’s close to losing it, just one more person.” 

The dissapointment in his face is evident. As our mentor, he feels the weight of lose. The feelng that he failed to teach us the right path. But the truth is, there is nothing he can do. Even the strongest man fall. Everyone of us has a breaking point. 

“ Onew, do you know why your father died?” 

He asks me nonchalantly and i do not even know how to answer. All I know is that, my father was about to talk to some officials about our existence. Just to let them know and keep it as a classified information. But many disagreed. There have been rumors of a resistance but no one has really seen it; as far as the palace is concerned. That resistance, even if did not have any form that time was the one who shot and killed my father. 

My father was a very powerful Empath and feared by many.

“ because the resistance did not like him.” I say sternly. 

“ aside from that.” 

“ what do you mean?” 

“do you remember what i told you, about the legends from a long time ago. Death and Life?”

I smile at the memory, it is a common bedtime story among us, the story of death and life. Its the power that is non existent but according to legend it is. Two powers that will bring destruction when in the wrong hands. The power of death, a being who is immortal. Someone who will never die. And the Power of life, the person who has the power of healing. Two individuals that can change the earth. Change the human race. But for millions of years of our existence, No one with that power has resurfaced. 

“ ofcourse, the immortal one and the healer. ”

He nods and looks outside the window, 

“ Your father said he found one of them” 

“ he what?” 

“ Your father had no intention of talking to the officials about our existence. But he found one of the Life and Death and he had to expose us- so we will be regulated. So that the talks about the resistance will stop. ”

“ you mean, the resistance has one of them?”

“ NO. NO. They don’t have it, only your father knows who that is but he did not tell anyone.”

“” he didn’t tell me. “ I say this more to myself. Why did he leave that piece of information away from me? Did he think i am not to be trusted? 
“ Onew, I had to tell you this. There are rumors that the other half- the Light is in the hands of the resistance.”

My body went cold. If they have that, we do not stand any chance anymore. 

“ How can that even be possible? What happens to us now?”

“ I told you, im geting weaker and I have to tell you this. You have to find either one of them.”

“ How?”

“ I haven’t studied the specifics but i have been studying this myth for the past years now, I will tell you when its ready.”

“ BUT-” I am cut off as my phone rings. Its TOP. I should be getting ready soon. We have to transfer Tiffany. 

“ go. Just go Onew, i wanted to tell you thsi earlier than the others.”

“ and make me think more? ”

“ HAHA. Its not my fault that you think too much Onew,” I head for the door and he calls me once more. “ goodluck on that charity event ; everyone is looking forward to see your band.”

With everything else that is going on, how we manage to still look forward for this event is beyond me. I make my way to the dorm. I still have to finish some school work and study for an exam. Its almost funny, my situation. Jino is inside, he is already buried knee deep in school work and at the same time organizing stuff for the event. The thing with Jino is, he loves people. He loves meeting new people, leaving his impression to all of them. 

“ why are you still here?” he asks,

“ its only 8 and I have to finish school work first. You know, cause we are students.” I reply, sarcasm thick in my voice. 

Another school work. Damn essay once again. I pen the first line and my mind drifts to him. That boy I saw in the library. He might be a freshmen. Im not really sure. But there is something in him that made me think- for a second, that I can try again. I remember what happened the last time I fell in love. Not pretty. 

For hours, i delved into school work. Trying to finish this task. As the clock strikes ten i go out and Jino tells me that he will tag along a little later. 

“ just call me out when you need me!”

JUST GREAT. I come in the library and its dark. What the hell is TOP thinking? Are the palace guards here already? I made my way inside and i feel someone here. Human. 

“ don’t move.”

I move him towards the entrance and call out for Jino. Finally, some light! As soon as his light shines on the person beside me I am startled. Its him. 

“ Kim kibum!” Jino chimes in. That is the first time I heard his name. Such a nice name. 

I cannot get sidetracked and i head towards the sound. TOP is holding Tiffany and the the palace only sent one guard. 

“ they did not get the memo that we have company?” Jino whined.“we can take care of this- now let’s go! ” 

Tiffany is different now, her hunger is more intense. Add the fact that TOP does not want to hurt her.

“ how the hell did she get this strong?” her color has finally come back and she is able to fight back from my grasp. 

“some boy came here and she got some energy, but not all.”

“she what?” Jino ask, surprised. He hates it when civilians are hurt. 

The palace guard tells us that he will take care of it but then I noticed something off. He did not have the emblem. 

“ where is your emblem of the palace guards?”

“ the what?” he asks me, rather pissed and starts to get Tiffany away from us. “ the emblem, the emblem that you are a palace guard!!”

TOP and Jino catches on but its too late. He shoves TOP to the farthest corner and Jino flies towards Tiffany but misses. 

“damn! ”

We chase her down the hall but when she finally sees a light, she goes for it. 

“ kibum. ”

I tell her to quit it, to stop but she doesn’t. She does it again, tries to drain his body. I cannot let this happen. But he breaks free, I smiled at this. He was able to break free, then Tiffany brings out her sword and my body moved on its own accord. I pull him- I pull him away and I - . Pain. Excruciating pain. And his face is inches away from me, calling out my name. “onew. Onew. No!” 

Does he really want me to live? Is this person, this stranger who only met me once value my life this much? But Jino takes him away. This is how it should be. He should go away. I knew the moment I met him, its wrong for me to wish. To even hope that this can be possible. 
The last thing I see is him walking away from me. I do not understand why I had the urge to save his life and protect him.

That very moment, my life changed. I just didn’t know it yet. 

==================
A/N:
1. hohohohooh. i bet this kinda confused you. yah. ;______; but. this is really a supernatural themed story. 

2. PLEASE DO COMMENT. I WANNA KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. AND SUBSCRIBE TOO~