season iii - ep1

HEROES

Title: HEROES Season 3 {1/?}
Pairing: Onewx Key ; Taemin x Minho ; Jonghyun x OC
Rating: NC-17
Summary: With the Battle of the island done, our Heroes are faced with troubled times and decisions that will decide that fate of many. A quest to find the answer to bring down the resistance is underway and all must keep their loyalty in check to be victorious. But with Key losing his memory, Onew battling his inner demons and the covenant falling into pieces will they ever find a way to save the earth?




Episode One – Confusion

His voice is quivering and as much as he wants to utter more than a word or two, he knows that it would not matter. What would he say really? He feels like all those words saved in his head could no longer get out. It was another thing to actually think of the words and a whole nother level to actually say it out loud. Saying it out loud meant admission. Saying the words out loud meant defeat. He can’t hear the truth from his lips. He must stay silent. It was better this way, it always was.

The noise of the hallway is all too familiar and strange at the same time. Like he could not afford to be given the luxury of being who he was. It was done. That night he chose to forget. He remembers fragments, almost like memories from a life borrowed from someone else. The scenes are different everytime but the feeling is the same. He could feel the love and sorrow, battling its way into his heart.

As he looked around, he can’t help but feel like there is something missing. A blank page that he can no longer recover. He pegs it as time-travel, but that is just wishful thinking.

“ Key?”

He could hear his name being called and he knew the person is fairly close. He can recognize the concern and urgency of the voice but he could not care right now. His walls are up and that meant one thing- spend his day just free falling.

“ what’s wrong?”

He feels someone tug at his sleeves and that was it. He snaps back to the present and turns around. Taemin is looking at him, with concern in his eyes.

“ do you remember anything?” Taemin asks him for nth time since last week. Moments when he spaces out and the younger one thinks that he remembers something. This confirms his theory, on that dau he wokr up from the hospital. He indeed forgot something. Amnesia? The doctor was vague in his explanation and there was like an unspoken rule that no one should tell him anything. Even his family acted like nothing happened.

Perhaps, nothing really happened. 

But how can you forget an emotion as strong as that? He could feel it under his skin. A love that is almost visceral.

And that is the problem, he cannot remember anything. He remembers the bruises and all those days at the hospital. He remembers the sorrow in the pit of his heart but he could not remember for who. It was like the memorires for one night were all erased. Everyone around him told him it was for the better and there are times that he feels they are right. Whatever thepain he feels for a certain man who died is horrible and he can’t even remember it.

“ No. Not now Taemin.” The indifference is thick in his tone but Taemin smiles genuinely at him.

“ we must go shopping!”

He grins at the invitation and his friend's excellent diversion skills. he feels grateful that there are people willing to put up with his mood swings.

“ we can ask onew to come with us,” Taemin offers and Key feels a familiar pull in his gut. Onew. He is enamored with the man but he is with Luna. All he knows is that, they are friends, he met him the other day. But something tells him that Onew knows alot about him. Unlike the others who puts up a decent face around him, this man is different.

Not to mention he is attracted to the man, I mean, who wouldn’t. Really. And its just his luck that he is taken by someone who is equally wonderful.

He hates how they look at him, like he is fragile. He is Kim Kibum for sake. He can see Taemin’s mood dropping. .

“ projecting again?” the young man complains, There it is. His power. His ability to control emotions.

“ im just stressed out.” he replies and tries his best to smile.

They have been over this. He talked to people at the covenant and even a shrink. Repressed memory is what they say because he could not handle the trauma. The covenant, he knew the company too well but there are blank areas, which he knows are forgotten memories. He remembers seeing a girl who glared at her but he cannot place her. What her name is.

He knew them, a week ago, he was introduced to Minho, Jino, TOP, GD, Luna among others that are all from the covenant. It’s the first time they met, but to him, ite felt like something important was kept from him.


“ that’s why i told you, we should get out- Minho said he can come along.”

He notices the blush spreading across taemin’s face and he realizes how [pathetic he had become. The world would not stop just because of his misery. He should come out of it, he should fight to regain his memory- no matter how wrong it is.

“ Minho? Really?” he snaps back and gave a sly grin.

“ yah! Key! You can;t do that! One moment, you are brooding and now, you’re teasing and all.”

He laughs out loud and taemin immediately brigthens,

“ I want the old you back Key, please come back to us.” His voice is solemn and hopeful and Key decides for the first time in a month.

He is coming back. Whatever that means. 


Onew’s Point of View. 

Why did i even sign up for this?

I wonder. Then i remember what TOP told me.

“ stop acting like a grandpa. You have done well for the covenant, and now, you must find who you really are inorder to fight well. ”

I remember rolling my eyes at him and saying something equally scathing but i chose to shut up. After all i did with the confrontation in the island, you’d think they will treat me like a proper human being. A decent leader or anything, but no. They classified me as a volatile subject. I understand their fear and the revelation about my Father.

My father. I chose not to think about him but focus more on how to control my power. And if that meant i have to climb mountains and be a hermit, like TOP said, i might even go. But i know they have another motive, they want to keep their distance for fear that i might explode.

“ you deserve it you git.” I hear Jino curse from behind me and i throw him a glare. He’s been like this eversince that night on the island. He was not indifferent, he did not approve of my choices- more specifically, my choise to let Key forget everything.

I push that memory at the back of my mind and grow silent.

“ yah! Jino, stop doing that! You are not helping.” Jonghyun called him out in between his bits of salad and gave me an apologetic look. I don’t get it. They shouldn’t feel sorry. For all its worth, they should just leave me alone. If they only knew what i would become.

“ I know he needs us, and in here. I will be here for his quest, but im still pissed about what he did to Key.” Jino says and minho steps in.

“ it was not his decision alone, remember- we used the oracle for that. The covenant would not let them use it and erase key’s memory without deliberation” he explains and i have to agree. But they do not realize the truth behind everything and i refuse to tell.

“ deliberation? It was done in a few hours, the covenant is terrified of Onew and Key did not give his consent, we just-”

“ stop it Jino, you swore your allegiance to the covenant so keep your mouth shut.” TOP suddenly entered the room and Jino closed his mouth. There are people that you tend to fight, but TOP is not one of them. He is now our Leader and with Eric gone, we have to stick to our teams.

After the incident in the island, the council is at its troubled times. Betrayal and Lies are everywhere and no one is to be trusted.

“ You should all think about the Quest and not linger on the past.” TOP advises and i stand up. I need to get out. I need fresh air and i want to be alone. I look at my phone and see a message from Luna. Telling me that she needs to talk to me. That we need to talk about the quest. I close it and i do not reply. She is better off without me.

I don’t understand why the council decided it will be better if we re-oriented Key to the council. It will only make it harder for him. But they all decided that him and taemin are valuable assets for us. But it’s weighing down on us. It’s hard to act like everything is fine when one of us just want to to burst into a rant and tell him everything that happened in his past.

“we are going to the mall.” Minho said coolly and i almost burst in laughter with the irony of it all. I see jonghyun smile. With our lives in a perpetual state of planning and fights, who knew we can still enjoy being human. TOP nods as if saying we can go. That we can enjoy ourselves just this once. Jino seems to perk up as he hears this and comes along with us.

“ taemin and key will be with us,”

I stiffen at his words and realize that i should stop being uptight and guilty about his situation. I remember being introduced to Key last week. He was nice enough but he clearly avoided me. It was all to new to everyone. The oracle removed his memories about us and the covenant. It was unsettling to see him like that- like he doesn’t even remember any memory io us, no matter how strong it was.

We arrived at Camden Plaza right on time. I immediately spot Taemin who was running towards us with Key in tow. Unlike Key, Taemin remembers it all. I doubt that he will if we tried, after all- Taeyeon is still within him. But he keeps quiet. Aside from me, he is the only one who knows the truth. I did not know he was watching. That he found us. His eyes immediately sought mine as he enveloped me to a hug. This baffles everyone, they do not understand why we are so close. He then proceeds to take Minho’s hands in his and the older boy’s eyes light up.

After all of this. We can still find love. Or, THEY can find love. 

“ let’s watch a movie!” Jino suggests and stands beside Key. Even if he forgot what happened in the past, i can say that his spirit did not forget the connection it had. Key and Jino became fast friends like they were before.

“yah! But in hungry.” Jonghyun protested and we all gave him what we want. It’s hard to say no when he pouts like a lost puppy. Everyone decided on a chinese place and i fall behind, not noticing that Key is right behind me.

“sorry,” he says is surprise as he bumps into me. I feel his indifference, like he is almost afraid to come near me. Well, he should be. But i give him a smile and walked with him. I see Jino look back at us and i raise my eyebrows at him, telling him that its okay and i won’t kill Key.

“ so, how’s your studies?” i ask lamely.

“ killing me, but i manage. I have joined a study group, so that might help.” He relaxes and the awkward silence between us is unbearable.

“ you can come to our place to study,” i offer and he stops short.

“ are you serious? ”

“ yes. I am, we have to stick with each other. ” i explain to him and we finally arrive at the restaurant.


I could get used to this, really. A normal life. I can choose to not go ont he quest and let everything play out. But i swore on my bloodline. To eric. To every single member of the covenant. I cannot bring them down. Key is talking about an upcoming project of the student council and i flinch as i rememebr what happened to us the last time we joined a council project.

Key ended up getting kidnapped.

I willed the thought away.

“ you are going away?” i hear taemin’s voice directed to minho and silence fell on the table.

“ it’s training,” minho replied nonchalantly. Taemin proceeded to eat and i could feel the tension in the air. I glance towards jonghyun who just shrugged and pushed the dumplings over to me. Jino on the other hand was too busy taking pictures with Key.
They do not know about the quest. This mission we have to do. As the semester ends and the summer comes, we have to keep going. We do not have much time.

After the movie, it was decided that we will all spend the evening at our place. With Jino suddenly planning a sleepover as he put it. Minho was happy and Key looked mortified. I kept my distance as we came at our house, trying my best to act like i had alot of work to do but i don’t.

“ so, where are you all going then?” the voice startled me and i turned around to see Key on my doorway. “oh, sorry, i did not mean to just come here- im sorry- ” he rambles but i stand up and open the door for him this time.

“ we don’t really know, we need the oracle- ”

“ oracle? But that’s taeyeon- taemin.” He says, clearly confused. 

“ yes, but the oracle is not a person anymore. Its an object- its hard to explain.”

I tell him this but i know that if anyone in this world knows what the oracle is, he will be the first one. He is the first person in history who was granted by the oracle. His wish to forget everything was granted. I thought i was dreaming, when the water turned an emerald shade.

No. I must not think about it.

“everything about the covenant is hard to explain, really. It makes all the things we study like child’s play.” He explains and i motion for him to sit right next to me.

“ why did you ask anyway?”

“ taemin grew quiet when he learned about it. I gather you will be gone for a while, ” he tells me and i nod my head.

“ minho is important in this mission, and so are we. We are a group, you know that right?? ”

He does not answer me back. Instead, he stands up and looks at the pictures. He studies them closely and i realize that this is his first time to actually come here after all that happened.

“ when was this?” he points at a picture of us. At my engagement party with Luna. It was a casual shot, i don’t even know why i posted it here.

“ at a party,” i reply and he looks at it closely, like, he is afraid to close his eyes cause the photo might disappear.

“can i have it?” he asks me and pulls the photo from the wall. “ i know you understand that i have lapses in my memory, so i want to keep this. This looks like a good memory, and i want to keep it.”

His words are too sincere and i cannot deny him this. I tell him yes and he jumps up, like he won something special. Let him remember the good. I hope he won’t remember what happened to him that night.

“ i will look for more pictures of you with us,” i tell him but he shakes his head.

“ its okay, Jino already provided me with those. As well as taemin.”

“ but why do you want that?” i ask him and he lowers his head. Suddenly, he cannot look straight into my eyes. Then, after a minute or so, as if he finally gathered up the courage, he looks up.

“ i am terrified of you.”

I take a step back and he swallows hard.

“ look, i didn’t mean- what- did-” i was at loss for words. I know that he is distant and that he seems to be slef conscious when i am around. The complete opposite of who he was before. But what do i say? Really?

“ why? ” was all i could muster up in the end and he walks away from me, but before he opened the door i could hear his words.

“ cause you make me remember,”

The door shut with a click and i collapsed on my bed.

The memories are coming back. 


The night at the island
Onew’s POV. 


“wake up! you! Wake up!” someone is shaking me and i feel the sense that i need to get up. But i cannot. I am too weak. I try to open my eyes but i am afraid of what i will see. I remember it now. Everything that happened. That masked man and the feeling that something came over me. An evil spirit, almost something foreign but the power surged. It felt like i can do anything.

And my father.

He was the traitor.

I don’t want to wake up.

“ just wake up! Please. Please. Please.” Tthe voice pleased and i opened my eyes to be greeted by Key who was crying. We were outside the island and his eyes are filled with tears. He looked like he could die from crying, if that was even possible.

“ hey” i manage to croak out.

“ we must find the others, we must get out of here.” He pushes me to stand up and i comply. I can feel my power come back to me and i followed him. Soon, we were rescued by other members of the covenant and i held onto Key. I would not let him out of my sight again.

It was a tragedy. seeing this one beautiful island reduced into smoke and ashes and destruction. I can see the members of the covenant looking at us like we were lost kids. but we are not. I know i'm not. after all of thism i doubt that i will ever be the same again. This was one of those moments that defined you. 

As we sailed across the water and back to the castle, i look over at Key who was looking at the sun rise like it was the most magnificent thing in the world. his eyes are blank and he did not blink. I want to reach out and tell him that it's okay. but i guess we are all tired of hearing that over and over again.NO. everything is ed up. it's not fine. but we weill deal with it. 


“ we must brief you.” Jessica tells us as soon as we arrive. trust her to be all business-like in moments of crisis. and i refuse.

“ i will not let Key talk to any of you alone,” i tell her firmly but she would not budge.

“ i won’t be too confident if i were you. Right now, half of the covenant worships you and half thinks that you are dangerous and must be eliminated.”

I paled at the truth of her words. Ofcourse, i migth self destruct and kill everyone. This new power, i cannot control it.

“ it’s okay.” Key said solemnly and i reached out to his hand. And i felt it. I could not explain what it was, but in that moment I knew that things will never be the same again. That this will be the last time that i will see him again. I held on tightly and he stopped. He embraced me tightly and i shivered as he kissed me slowly. I was stunned to say the least. What was more surprising is that i did not pull away. Like, i needed this. It’s as if all i need was to kiss him and everything in the world will fall back into place.

He tasted like honey and all those flavors that i did not know existed. He bites my lower lip lightly as he pulls away and his eyes bore into mine. Jessica looks like she wants to stab something as we both pull away and Key walks away from me.

//

“ you can’t do this to him” i say out loud but TOP was calmly answering my question,

“its his decision, look, if the oracle thinks that its not fit- it will not grant him-”

“ he cannot lose his memory!” Jino argued and i grow impatient as the moment passed.

It was complete and utter nonsense . why did he even think about this? To forget? How did he even know about that option? Did the masked man tell him? Too many questions and the one who has all the answers is not here.

“ i need to see him.” I tell him finally.

“ Onew, the oracle. That place is sacred and- key is a special case- ”

“ the council is wrong! You know that! They are doing this cause Key is an outsider. They suspect him of being a traitor, that they led us to the island.” Jino is seething as he spoke. We all knew that this was true. Although the battle at the island tipped to our side, the council sees otherwise. They think that this battle should have been prevented if only Key stayed with us.

“calm yourselves, you should know where your loyalty lies.” TOP says in a stern voice but i won’t budge.

“ my loyalty is with the covenant. That we swore to protect each other and do what we see is right. And this- whatever this is – it’s completely against the covenant.” I reasoned out and we hear someone come in.

Jessica.

“ your dulcet tone is irritating my ear, ” she says coolly and she tosses me a key.

“what?” i ask,

“ a key to my room. You idiot! It’s a key to the cave – the oracle.” She rolls her eyes and i run to her, embracing her and wondering why on earth people in here call her an ice queen. I know that Jino , and most especially Taemin should go with key. I look over at Jino who seems defeated.

“ just, please save him onew.”

And taemin who just smiled nervously at me.

I made my wa towards the cave, located the bottom of the covenant’s palace. I have only been here once, with my father. Telling me about the oracle. Its words and the one wish it can grant you.

“ to forget.” I remember those words. At that time, i wonder why would anyone want to forget something. Memories are all we have. But after my parents died, i thought that people had the reason to want to erase a part of their past.

I see him seated on the edge of the river. The water is clear blue and the indication that the wsih is granted it that the water will be green when the person swims in it. No one succeded.

“ Key,” i call out to him and he turns to me, with a look of regret on his face.

“you are not supposed to be here.”

“and so are you,” he replies.

“ you cannot do this to youself. What happend to you, i can’t even imagine, but to lose a part of yourself.”

“ you don;t understand, i loved the memories. I really do.”

He stands up and faces me completely, “ i just don’t want to be reminded for the rest of my life of what i cannot have. ” he tells me and i am at loss for words.

“ were you inlove with the masked man?” i blurt out. that is the only logical explanation. And to think that i called him. Oh god! He must hate me. But what he did. He kissed me. Didn’t he?

“ you could say that,” he laughs.

“ it must be too strong to actually damn youself in a life of confusion, memory lapses and whatever.”

“ i can handle those. Its just like having a bad hangover, don’t you think?” he joked and i am irritated. Its like, he could not understand how serious this is.

“ stop it. Just. Please change your mind! I will help you, we will help you. You are not the only one who lost someone! Don’t be selfish!” i screamed at him but he is unfazed.

“ you don’t understand. I must forget. ” he tells me and he steps on the river. I run after him.

“ why? Why are you doing this to yourself?”

He closed his eyes and i see him chanting the words for the ceremony and a moment of silence. The water is still blue but he does not know this for his eyes are closed. I am about toget him out of the water but i hear him clearly say,

“ there are worst things than forgetting and those lapses you say, i am afraid to forget thoes too. The good memories i had, i am sking the oracle to erase all the memories i have of the covenant. ”

His words sink in. He would not remember me. I can feel something gnawing on my stomach and i want to vomit and pass out.

“remember, that night in the library.” Silence and he speaks up again. “it’s worst than death, feeling him right next to me. Hearing him laugh. Craving his touch and almost seeing him everytime i open my eyes.. and knowing full well that he will never be mine.”

He is broken and for a moment, i dipped my hand on the river. I hope you forget Key. Please forget me and all the horrible things that happened to you the moment that we entered your life.

“ and i swear, i thought i kissed him- but it was not going to last.” He says once again but i do not understand it.

What i did not realize until now is how much power Love had over all of us.to some, Love was sign of weakness but more often than not- that was wrong. Love is this all encompassing urban legend that sinked ships and killed many.

The water suddenly turned emerald and the tears stained my cheeks before i can even register what is happening.

The oracle granted him this gift. Perhaps he was fortunate or not. As he descends in the water and his body engulfed by the power of the oracle i watch him closely and close my eyes.

Goodbye.

Please do not remember me.