season ii - ep4

HEROES

 

Episode Four – True colors & Lead Toxic


No matter what angle he looks at it, the outcome might still be the same. Everything will turn out badly and someone or everyone will get hurt. He concludes that it is human nature. Humans were born to suffer and beauty alone cannot save them. As he stared at the morning sun, he realized how little and powerless he is. Of how, at any moment from now- everyhting can fade to dust. Well, not if he can help it. 

And he will. 

It is the last draw. He could not tell any of them the truth right now. All he could provide is guidance and the direction. The disc should tell them everything they need to know. The masked man remained seated in his room, watching all three heroes- minding their own business at a restaurant. Oh how he wished it was as easy as this. How he wished that the people he is watching now will remain the same and didn’t have to do a complicated task. 

Lifting his feet up to rest, he thinks about what might happen today and in the coming days. He will be able to stop it and direct things to how it should be. It will not be asy and his heart aches with what is supposed to happen. But it is inevitable. For the greater good, how can he deny that? 

He smiles at the thought of how trusting Key is. Of how he just took the disc without hesitation, not even questioning him. He was always like that, wasn’t he? Always the trusting one. He closed his eyes, he needed to rest- as the night will fall later, he has alot to do yet again. 

//



“wait, what? The masked man you were both talking about was here?” Jonghyun asked, perplexed that he missed the action. But spending time with Minah went surprisingly well that the dissapointment lessened. 

“he left us this disc, and i think we should all open it after breakfast, he said it will help.” Key explained and poured milk on Onew’s glass. They decide to eat at a local diner, with the locals giving them strange looks. It was known in town that they stayed last night at the goodwill place. A freak’s place ify ou were to ask them. Key caught the people’s indifference and shared it with the other two. 

“ the people in this town thinks we’re some lepers cause we stayed at goodwill.”

“aren’t we?” jonghyun replied, bacon and eggs still in his mouth. 

“ shut it jonghyun, im serious. This is not helping. We need information about goodwill, and they won’t help us if they think that way.”

A waiter halts their talk and gives the each their cup of coffee. He gathers that this one is curious more than afraid, so he takes his chance. He takes a glance at his nameplate, 

“ dongwoon, are you from around here?”

The man was startled but quickly recovered, “yes sir. Born and raised in this town. ”

Onew quickly asks, “ what do you know about goodwill?” Key wants to stomp onew’s foot, talk about discreet. He quickly saves all of them by taking charge.

“ i mean, we are here for charity work, and we chose goodwill.”

The boy’s eyes lit up, “ that is very nice of you lot, helping that old place- goodwill. That place- ive known it since i was a kid.”

“that long? It was not always that gloomy right?” key asked.

“ NO. It was actually like a palace before, all white and roses around it. It was not really a place for abandoned ill people before- it was more of a hospital ran by nuns and rich people- like you” he blushed and Key raised his eyebrow.

“what happened? How did it go downhill from there? ”

“not really sure, they said a new management came in here. ” he looked uneasy but continued. “ they came in and it was not the same, like they drained the life out of that place.”

“ what company?” onew inquired.

“ i think they call it, royalty- ”

Key noticed that Jonghyun choked with the mere mention of it and Onew clenched his fist. Dongwoon said goodbye, saying that he needed to wait the other tables. 

“why?”

“ROYALTY, its one of the companies owned by Resistance. ”

It dawned on Key. The girl , Minah is in the hands of resistance. But if so, why didn’t they attack them yet? What are they waiting for. 

“we should be careful and lets look at that disc the mystery man gave you.” Jonghyun suggested and they did just that. 

It was nothing special, just a whole lot of information about what the Goodwill looked like before. Dongwoon was not kidding, it looked like a palace. Well kept and lovely. Sister Maria was one of the main people running the place before, she looks so much younger. With all the people in that file, sister Maria was the only one who remained in Goodwill. 

“ so, the resistance runs it now?” jonghyun asks,

“ most probably, royalty is theirs. But why haven’t they attacked us yet? And Minah, why are they keeping her here? Anyone can quickly snatch her up, like us.” Onew voiced out and they kept on reading. All are files about Minah and they found out what they are looking for. 

Minah is linked to the Trigger, the immortal one. 

“it says here, her destruction core will be activated when the immortal one dies for the first time. “ Key read and immediately looked at Onew. This only means one thing, the day of destruction is about to come. 

“ what can trigger her?” Onew asked and the three of them schemed through the file once again. It only speaks about a moment. A switch inside that person. 

“ like a flood gate,” onew half whispers. 


Key’s point of view. 

Trusting the masked man is indeed a good move on our part. He practically saved our necks by giving us this information. There is also the question of WHY. But as we are in dire need of any lead, we will take anything. Onew tells us about a flood gate that is needed to activate Minah. I Do not understand something as complex as that but i think its like unleashing a lock inside your body to make your energy flow out freely.

I chance a look at Minah who is with Jonghyun again. They have grown fond of each other for a short amount of time. I smile to myself and i quickly let it go as onew eyed me. 

“what are you smiling for?”

“ ohh, minah and jonghyun seems to be getting along.” I answer back and he seems to agree with me.

“ he really has a thing for dangerous girls.”

“ what do you mean?”

Onew shrugs,”nothing- he is just attracted to people who can kill him if they want to. ”

“and you? Whats your type?” i blurt out and immediately regret what i said afterwards. 

“ stubborn ones. I like the push and pull- you see.” He explains and i only nod. Luna is a strong girl, and i think – she can put up a good fight. I sigh with this image and stop myself from longing that things would have been different. After all, it was just a kiss. Just a kiss. That has to be my mantra from now on.

“ How are you young gentlemen?” i turn to see sister maria approaching us. I feel a sense of calm in her. An emotion i haven’t felt for quite some time. 

“we’re fine, just lounging. ” i answer and she stands right next to me. 

“what are your plans for our dear Minah?” she asks, voice laced with concern. I almost feel bad for her. She spent so many years in this place, perhaps she does not even know that the money used here is from the resistance. She seems like the type who took care of Minah, she even taught her how to play the piano. 

Onew took the task of explaining our so-called plans. “for now, we plan to send a doctor here to examine her thoroughly so we know what help we can give.”

“ oh. When will that doctor be coming?” she asks. 

We originally asked Eric to play the doctor, but someone in his rank cannot go to these assignments anymore. Instead, we asked professor K to come but he won’t be here till tomorrow evening. 

“tomorrow evening.” I simply state and Sister maria smiled at us. A lady approaches us and gives us lemonade, a perfect way to lessen the heat from the morning sun. She leaves us two alone and i quickly pull out the paper i was holding awhile ago. Sketching once again as Onew proceeded to look at the files and read. 

For a moment, we kept quiet till he realized what i was doing. 

“ i didn’t know you could draw, ”

I chuckle at his observation, “ im not really drawing, its like- im just - ” i cannot complete my sentence and proceeded to shading. 

“ when did that start? I dont remember seeing you do that-”

So he remembers the things i did when he became my bodyguard? I find the information vital and amusing but i did not keep my hopes up. Ofcourse he will remember. He is as observant as they get. Military kind, right? 

“ after you died.” I replied flatly and his face fell.

“ you did this because of me?”

“well, not really” i stuttered my answer and he presses me on, “my counselor suggested i do art therapy” i realize this is not the right thing to say as it implied to much. Like, hey- i was so mental when you died i needed professional help. Or, i couldn’t stop crying and feeling guilty that i had to admit myself to a clinic and get better. I can see the shock in Onew’s eyes at my revelation and i put my head down, trying to concentrate on my drawing. He draws in a deep breath and speaks up again. 

“ im alive, why are you still sketching?”

“ive enjoyed doing it, it relaxes me when i feel nervous.” I explain and he seems to understand.

“ I know this is your first assignment for the covenant. But you have me and jonghyun, we’ve been on the field long enough. And this place, it seems serene and we have help.” I can sense his effort to reassure me and as much as i want to be grateful i can’t help but feel irritated. Here we go again. Perfect and protective onew. He really knows the right things to say to make me crawl right back to him. 

“ thank you. I will try to keep that in mind.”

// 

Jonghyun loved this feeling. Relaxed and noting to worry about- just the thought of keeping his voice in check when Minah is playing. He can actually do this, he thinks to himself. He can get used to the peace and quiet. Minah looks at him and asks him upfront. 

“ are you really gonna get me out of here?”

“ once the papers are done. Ofcourse we will.”

She genuinely smiles at his answer and opens up, 

“ the people in here are not sick. No . not really. ” jonghyun looks at her for clarification and she continues. “its like, they no longer have life in them.”

“thats not impossible, this place is draining.” He replied dramatically.

“i know, but still. I see no spark in their eyes. Sometimes, i feel like im the only normal person in here.” She chuckles.

“ ive noticed that too, it seems like you are the only person in this place who can still smile.”

“and im the worst of the bunch.” She jokes. 

“ i will get you out - ”

He promises and regrets that he could nto do anymore. They can take her out of this place if the resistance won’t intercept and as soon as they find out how she will be triggered. If she sets off at the wrong time, they could all die. Well, except for Onew. 

“whats it like outside, jonghyun?”

He comes back to reality, “a whole lot better than this, don’t worry. I will show you.”

At that very moment, he understands what it felt like. What it is to be someone’s hero. It was not bad after all. 

//



The night finally crept in and Key felt immensly uncomfortable. Everyone’s emotions are turning into something stronger. A strong intent. What once were passive and lonely people had evolved into something more. He is inclined to tell Onew about this but he seems genuinly happy that professor K will be coming here tomorrow . 

“ did anyone see sister maria?” Minah suddenly barged in the room and jonghyun immediately came to her aid.

“ no. Not really, after dinner- we did not see her anymore” i answer and there is fear in her eyes. 

“she was about to tell me something important, she was supposed to meet me in my room. But she did not come,”

Jonghyun placed his hand on her shoulder to relaxed her, “she might be on her way, just relax.”

“its past curfew, if you did not notice. She always comes to my room before that.”

“why are you so worried?” Onew asked simply. Key rolled his eyes at the boy, he clearly did not understand the bond between Minah and the nun. 

“ Let’s look for her then, ” Key offered. 

The four of them walked the stark hallways and they shivered in the cold. Jonghyun walked closely behind Minah who lead all of them. Key felt it again. They are in terrible danger. Just before he was able to halt Onew and tell him what he wanted, a piercing scream tore the silence of the night. 

“thats sister Maria!” Minah rushed towards the source of the sound and it came down to a small room down the hall. 

What greeted them is not the least bit what they expected. The nun was no longer in all white, rather it was terribly drenched in red. In her blood. Like someone stabbed her. The sole window inside the room is shattered and Minah immediately rushed to her aid. 

“what happened? ” she repeatedly shaked the elder woman in her hands and the other three looked around for anyone who might have caused this. 

“ you cannot escape Minah,” the nun’s voice echoed louder than usual and Onew’s head snapped up to look at her closer. The nun is not hurt. She is stronger tha before. Key felt it too. It all makes sense now, all that energy came from her. All the danger came from this nun and not everyone. It was just too strong that he assumed it was from alot of people. 

But so much hate from one person? 

“what are you talking about?” Jonghyun piped in and held Minah tightly. 

“you cannot escape HEROES.” The nun said slyly and soon, patients from the building slowly came in. Blank faces and all but chanting one thing : ‘no escape’

Key’s POV 

Its like a scene from t bad horror movie. One minute, I was so sure that sister maria was in trouble and the next, she is commanding this arm of zombies to come after us. Jonghyun and Onew are viciously fighting them off and im trying my best to calm them. But to no avail, they do not have emotions of their own. They feed off the anger inside the nun. Minah is in her hands. 

“ you can never take her away from us.” I shivered at her words, like she truly meant it. Onew is winning his battle but jonghyun is distracted as he is worrying about Minah. 

“ Key, can you get through her?” Onew asked and i tried. But her defense is strong. I can do this. I concentrated as hard as i can, and sent the first wave of calm. Her puppets weaken. But she is furious once more as she turned towards me. 

“ who the hell do you think you are? ”

I moved a step back, and soon. all her puppets are swarming over to me. Onew tried to come over and protect me btu he was shoved aside. There is no way I can do this. I close my eyes and prepare myself from the pain of my body being ripped apart. 

One.

Two.

Three. 

But it never came. Opening my eyes, i see the masked man fighting off all the puppets. He is agile and i have to say, much much stronger than onew or jonghyun. I stared, wide eyed and his head snap up to me. I hear his voice once more. 

“ what are you waiting for? Run now!” I stumble and find my way away from them. His voice is familiar and as much as i want to remember. I cannot. I see Onew and the masked man, fighting side by side and my heart clenches because of some odd reason. Jonghyun is aiming straight for the nun. 

The next thing I know,

Jonghyun was able to stab the nun. Perhaps, he stopped time to distract her. I do not know. Minah is wailing and her sadness is suffocating me. Atleast, she has Jonghyun embracing her and soothing her. I was so gullible to think that we can get Minah out of this place easily. I walk over to onew and the masked man. 

“ are you okay?” onew asked and i nod. The masked man looks over to me then back to onew. 

“ she is a a member of the resistance, Minah’s official guard. She would have informed the resistance headquarters about this. You need to flee this place or they will catch you.” He explains flatly and the voice i recognized was gone once again. Like he decided to speak this way to lessen my suspicion. 

“ let’s go- we are not fit to fight anymore-” Onew turned to his hell and walked over to jonghyun and minah. Explaining to them what happened. The masked man is slowly walkin away again, he si standing over the window- again, for his grand escape. But i stop him. 

“hey. Thanks.” I mumble and he stops and turns around to face me. I see his eyes properly for the first time. “thanks for helping me- and helping us out. ”

He does not move and only nods his head. Then he does the unexpected yet again. He walks over to me in one swift movement and pulls me to a tight embrace. It is not indifferent and embarassing but strangely familiar. It felt like coming home, only to a home i never knew. He is holding me like we have done this a thousand times before. I relax in his arms and it was over as soon as it started. Then he whispers to me. 

“i told you didn’t I? I will protect you.” Then he was back on the window ledge to leave me alone. All alone in that corner. I am startled as I hear Onew calling me. Frantically telling me to show myself so we can all go. 

I call out and compose myself. I am still trembling. 

“what happened?” onew asked me as he took my hand. 

“ nothing- no- nothing.” I stutter and follow him. 

With everything that happened to me today and in this mission. I know one thins is for sure. I have to know who the masked man is. Somewhere deep inside, I can feel that this is a chance for acceptance. That he is my hope. And maybe- just maybe. He just might be my chance for Love. 



3 days after. 


Key is furious at what the covenant decided on doing, sending Minah to the capsule. He understands how dangerous she is to everyone, but locking her up will not resolve anything. They promised her freedom but instead, she is condemned to be locked up. This is worst than her life in goodwill. Without her piano, no less. He could see and feel jonghyun’s anger without even trying. 

“we will come up with something,” onew offered to the blonde boy who was practically seething. Minah is now talking to the elder members.

“ it was a wrong move, i should have seen this coming.” Jonghyun spoke up and continued pacing back and forth. Onew looked over to Key, with a dismayed look on his face. Unless they will find out what will trigger her, they cannot change the covenant’s mind. The it dawned on Key, the masked man. He can help them. 

“we can ask the masked man, he helped us back there in goodwill.” He suggested and the other two seem to agree. 

“ where do we find him?” jonghyun quickly asked. 

“he seems to come out when we are in some kind of danger,” 

Key only looked outside the window. He wants to see him again even if that means they have to be in danger again. Even if he has to put himself in danger. 

// 

Taemin’s POV 

“and we’re done!” I hear the words i long to hear eversince this day started. Hara is practically treating us as slaves with all these practices. But i understand her. We have an upcoming competetion coming up. For a week, i feel like ive come back to my normal life. No black outs and hoopla about the covenant. But that is different from Key, he is refusing to talk about what happened to the roadtrip. I was introduced to Minah, who is apparently a walking nuclear bomb.

Bizarre. 

I need to find Key. I have been selfish with telling everyone to leave me alone to have a normal university life. But I cannot do that, even if im uncomfortable with it, Key needs to talk to someone. Im all he’s got. 

“taemin! Are you ready for the competetion?” Jaejin asks me as i pass by the hall. 

“ we have been practicing like crazy- so. YES. I think. ” i reply to him and he nods in the other direction, like he saw something interesting. 

“ so is there any particular reason why soccer superstar, choi minho is stalking you ?”

“ what?” i question him and turn to see Minho with his friends from the soccer team but his eyes are definitely trained on me.-I only look at him and my heart clenches. I curse myself for not controlling this feeling. This is Taeyeon reacting to Minho, not me. Definitely not me. All the things im feeling with Minho are not mine. Lets face it, if taeyeon’s influence is not in me, i would have dismissed minho as a mindless jock at first sight.

“ key looks unfocused these days, did you fight?” jaejin changes the subject and i feel even more guilty.

“you can say that- but im looking for him to sort it out. ”

“ i think he is at the science building- he seems to be hanging out alot with onew and jonghyun.” He voices out and i can only say yes. 

I jog towards the building and I know that they hang out at professor K’s creepy laboratory. I see Key outside, aiming to call someone but i shouted at him. 

“ Key! ” he looks surprised as he seems me approaching.

“ i was just about to call you.” He admits and i smile at him, 

“ look, im sorry.” I start and talk some more. “ive been selfish. But, i just really wanted things to go back – but they don’t. And im- can we be friends again?”

Key smirked at me , “ofcourse- you were such a git, you know that?”

I pounced at him and i immediately asked him to eat lunch with me, like we used too. We said our goodbyes and immediately headed to the cafeteria. 

“ so, what happened to that, Minah girl?” i ask non chalantly and Key’s mood shifted. 

“ horrible. They want to lock her up-” 

“ thats unfair you know. Its not like its her fault that she has that power.” I offered in consolation but Key seemed to be keen on avoising the subject by asking me about the classes he missed. I suddenly remmembered Jino told me something about the Masked man helping them. 

“ you saw the masked man again?”

Key seems to like this subject as his eyes lit up, 

“ yes. He helped us with the information and with fighting off resistance members.” He replies with a smile on his face the whole time. 

“looks like you are fond of mystery man.”

“i guess i am. ” he half whispers and i talk about what happened between me and Lina. It was horrible to explain everything in detail all over again, but i owe key the truth. He scolded me for being stubborn and was worried about the current state of my health. The bell rang and it was time for us to go to our english class. 

Key is fidgeting and i ask him why, he only replies with, 

“ i need some fresh air. ”

I do not follow him but the curiosity killed me and i quickly walked towards where he had gone. He is at the balcony of the building, looking around. Like he is waiting for someone to come. Then he dangerously sits on the edge , with his feet dangling. What the hell is he thinking? 

“distract him, tell him to get off,” i turn around and the masked man is right infront of me. Everyone are inside the classroom right now, so no one can see him but me. How convenient. 

“ you- he is waiting for you.”

“ he thinks that i will be by his side when he is in danger,” he explain and i raise my eyebrows, 

“and you wont?”

“ i will. Thats why im here.”

I nod at him and say my thanks, , 

“ thank you for saving his life, ”

I turn around to look at Key again and when i turn back, the masked man was gone. Walking over to key, i say my hello and he stands up beside me. 

“lets go, we’ll be late.” I tell him and he follows behind me. Whoever he is. No matter how good he seems to be for Key i cannot help but feel that the worst things are to come for him.

What did he do to deserve all of this anyway? He is the nicest, most talented person i know and he is destined for greater things. 

“ he was there, wasn’t he?? ” Key says before i open the door to our next class. Is stop for a moment and turn to him, i could not lie. Not anymore.

“yes.” I squeak and he smiles widely. 

He makes him happy. That is enough for now. 


Key’s POV. 

First, I fall in love with a guy who cannot die and has a girlfriend who can control the wind. And now, im fond of a masked man who won’t even show his face or use his normal voice around me. Was it a step higher? Did i choose better? I don’t have any idea. Perhaps I have the knack of choosing the worst people for me. I remember what my mother told me ; I was destined to suffer. That someone as pretty and gentle as me won’t be happy easily. 

She is proven right. Taemin and I finally patched things up and i feel like we are slowly trusting each other again. Our friendship runs deeper tha the secret of our power. Supernatural power or not, we would still be stuck with each other. Im sure of that. 

The Palace guards greet me and i only say a small hi. Its my time to meet Minah. I brought lots of food and dvds. She loves movies and she has alot of films to catch up to. 

“KEY!” She greets me warmly and i can only give my best smile. She quickly looked at the titles i brought and asked me what was the best. I told her the summary of each ones and she settled on watching Love actually. Its Onew’s favorite. I remember and quickly pull that away. 

“how are you??” i ask her and she asnwers honestly.

“im better. Its better in here,”

“but don’t you wish to get out? ” i press on.

“i do. Everyday, but you see. When i get around alot of people, i feel tense. And that tension might set me off,” she rambles. “i cant put all that people in danger, ”

“ but you can control your emotions Minah, ”

She seems to disagree and i feel like i know what she is talking about. She is afraid that she will harm the innocent ones she is walking with across the street. 

“let me help you- -- ” i offer and she hesitates but gives in. I hold her hand in mine and i calm her nerves. 

“ you have a wonderful power.” She comments and i do not break my concentration. She is different anyone. The others, i can only control them to a level and not completely. But Minah on the other hand, she does not have a wall around her heart. Like, I have complete access. 

I have never tried this before, but i give it a try. Testing the waters, i delve deeper and i break all the barriers. She is in complete relaxation. Her breathing is even and she does not talk. Then one final step. I feel the warmth in her hands and i open my eyes. She is glowing. Literally. 

“MINAH!” I gasp and she slowly opens her eyes, panic in her eyes as soon as she sees whats happening. 

“ im about to go off. ” the words escape her face and she snaps. Her emotion suddenly shifts to panic and the glow moments ago disappeared. 

“WHAT WAS THAT?” We say at the same time and somehow, i think i know the answer. But i don’t want to admit it. 

“ when i felt calm, and- i swear, i thought you are in control of my body- then- im about to set off.” Minah explained and i held her again. No more warmth in her hands,

“what do you mean??” i ask. 

“i think the feeing of panic will not activate whatever there is in me. I think- its you, what you did- ” she says to me, her eyes shifting. Then it dawned on me. Finally. 

“ i am the trigger.” It rolled off my lips and became the truth.