season iii - ep3

HEROES

Episode Three – Darkness is Home

The light emanating from the center of the room gave hope to those who are standing around it, hoping that maybe, if it glows just right- they can all burn. Burning was not really a horrid state to be in. Burning meant, feeling the skin come off, getting the warmth they so longed and feeling the power. Fire was their friend, Fire represented who they are and the pain was secondary. But the fire did not grow, it remained nothing but a small flicker. What they did not want to admit was Fire is Hope. And hope was a dangerous addiction, the constant longing and wishing for better days was deadly. For no one will come and rescue them, they are all damned. No one cares. No one will ever listen.

“ finally, ” his words echoed and her grip tightened on the rose she was holding. She was told to hold onto it, it was a simple task really.

“ Tiffany, you have it with you? ” she moves forward and only then did she recognize where she is. This was the same damp cell she was held in, the first time the resistance got her. It was a mission, from the covenant- for her to go inside and retrieve a file they needed. But she got no back-up. She remembers it well, really. The thought of losing all hope and wishing that you will die. Where are her friends?

“ yes, i do.” She hands it over and the man catches her eye and smile. He was powerful, she knew that. No one has any record of him and his power- they didn’t even know such a thing existed. The power to control dead souls and bodies.

“ I am the Necromancer . ” he announced to them all, the first time he stepped inside the walls of the resistance. “ or, Heechul if you like to be friends.” He adds after that.

The task was simple enough. He should resurrect the Dong Youngbae. The one who holds the lands. Tiffany wanted to close her eyes. She had seen alot of horrific things, but seeing someone roll over from their grave and be controlled was too much. In her eye view, there are about 10 people in this room but the only ones alove are her and the necromancer. The others, they are his puppets. She looked around and there was a middle aged woman who looked like his mother, or maybe she really is. A kid. A young lady. Two men , her eyes widened with every information she got but her thoughts was cut off.

“ they are my dolls, you want to be one? ” he asked.

“ no thanks, i want to die peacefully. ”

“ is death really peaceful?” he comments, as he drew blood from the corpse. Where did he even get the blood, tiffany asks hersefl but decided against it. His hands are emanating a strange strand and its as if, he is tying them up to every bone. Every piece of his soul. To an outsider, it looked like a craft to be reckoned with. But she knows better.

“ i mean, death is tragic and sad and completely uncecessary. Why do we look down on our physical body when all a person remembers is the “physical. ”. NO one remembers how you laugh or how you think- they remember your blonde hair, sweet smile and that scar on your left knee.”

He was still putting the pieces together. If he can do this, then this man will be his prize. For quite some time, he heard stories about the elements and he was devastated when he found out that two of them are dead. If it were up to him, he wanted to raise VI as well. But the man said NO. NO. For now. He must first show his loyalty.

Finally, finally. He had him already.

Tiffany saw the rose she was holding start to bloom and he gazed in awe at the corpse infront of her. It was not a corpse anymore. It was livign flesh. But there was something in his- no, its eyes that held nothing. That told you, he could not see you. His empty eyes were an explanation : I am dead, i am a puppet. Stop looking at me like that.
“ you did it. ” she spoke.

“ ofcourse, now, what should we do? ”

“ we have to talk to - ”

“ onew’s father,” he says lightly.

“ you know Onew?” she asks, intrigued. They don’t much about this guy, but him knowing onew made her question his motives more.

“ ofcourse i do. ” he answers and stops his ministrations towards his new doll.

“why?” she asks innocently.

“ why not? I want to collect him you know, ive heard that he is immortal.”

“ he is,” she pauses and speaks up again, “what do you mean, collect? ”

He sits down as one of his puppets fetches a drink for him.

“ every one of my puppets, are very dear to me. Really. I love them all and they are my trophies. And that kid, Onew. Someone immortal, i would love to control him.”

“but he won’t die,” tiffany argued.

“ i doubt that, everyone is indestructible”

Tiffany huffed. He knew this man was different, so she was told. But the darkness in him was too much. He saw these people as toys, as trophies and no more. She shuddered visibly and bowed her head- signalling her leave.

“ i scared you, didn’t i?”

“ NO.” She snapped, clearly irritated.

“ okay, just playing. I really wish we will be good friends miss tiffany. Along with Hyuna, Mir, GO-”

“ SHUT UP. You are evil, pure evil. don’t come close to us.” She hissed, but it only made heechul smile wider. He loves the chase. Really.

“ its not my fault, i was born evil.”

With one more glare, she walked away. That man was pure evil and will harm anyone without reason or just because it makes him smile to hurt others. People like him, who hasno conscience are the ideal members for the resistance but can extremely volatile. He is one of a kind, as they say but she doubts he will be their willing member for a long time. She cannot think about this, they will all be flying outside the country soon. They are headed for a quest and she heard that her former group, with top and the others will be there too. It will be hard to outwit the group and face them, but she has her ace.

Lee Taemin. The boy must say yes. He will, say yes. They are his only hope and Heechul will clearly love to get Taeyeon’s soul. She is a “trophy” the one and only seer of the covenant.

The air grew colder and the lights went out. she was not scared. Darkness is home.


“ yah! Stop being heartbroken!” Jino protested over breakfast of bacon and eggs. He liked eating breakfast, he was one of the few college students who did not put ‘coffee’ and ‘noodles’ in the category of breakfast. He liked his with the usual bacon, eggs, hotdog and orange juice. He needed it. But seeing Jonghyun, playing with his bacon and not really paying attention made him snap.

“ you can’t tell him that, try and understand” Key defended. He knew why the man was acting that way. Minah is in a safe house and he can only see her a few times. Add the fact that their group will go for a quest the whole summer.

“ i can! Look, Minah would not want you to look all lovesick and- ”

“ you are giving me a headache.” Jonghyun complained.

“ you – don’t you dare stop time to ignore us!” Jino threatened.

“ No. Im not wasting my powers for that,” Jonghyun explained and proceeded to eat his breakfast just to shut the two up. He wished that minho and onew was here for backup. But he is stuck with the tag team of Jino and Key. Good thing, Key has the common sense to side with him. He still could not believe that Key lost his memories. He always wondered how that felt like.

“ you have any idea where we’re going for this quest?” jino asked,

“ we will be on a meeting this evening, TOP will say everything we need to know. But i heard, its overseas.”

Jino beamed. They will have their summer vacation after all.

“ why are you smiling like that?” key asked,

“ oh. nothing, atleast we can enjoy a little right? We can’t suceed in this if we are all dark and broody like some-” he turns towards jonghyun who frowned at him.

“ its not good Jino, i heard we have to negotiate and im not really good at those.”

“ me too.” He whispered back.

“yah! Lets not talk about that now, save the serious stuff this evening but for now, we have to pack and go to the mall.” Key supplied. He really did not want to think about it . a part of him was excuted for this journey, and he feels like he will know more about himself. But a part of him is scared as well, of what might happen. And he heard of the RESISTANCE, what if- they were stronger than them.

“ minho and taemin will be waiting for us,”

“ oh, those two- i envy them!” jonghyun whined and the three laughed. It was a good brekafast after all.

//

Taemin could not get up. No. He feels better actually, like he could do anything he wants. It was his heavy heart that was weighing him down. He could not even sit up. It was a sad addiction, a sad disease, he was addicted to Hope. Like a kid who never grew up, his eyes always go all starry with promises of better days and no more problems.

He had to get up. They will be packing, hanging out and will be on a meeting. He wished that taeyeon will just leave. He can handle the quest if he was healthy and without this problem nagging his brain and taking up all his time.

Why can’t he be normal?

Why can’t he just settle down with Minho. But it was his resemblance and connection to Taeyeon that brought them together. The irony was not lost on him.

Closing his eyes, he hear something land on the floor and look over and see the window wide open. he remains there, waiting for something. For someone. His bed shifts and he knows that its him. His scent. The warmth of his body right next to him. He is too tired of fighting this. If he will die or if pray tell, he accepts tiffany’s offer- he will not spend it on ignoring minho. He had come to the conclusion long before, that he cannot stay way from this man anymore.

“ i know you’re there.” He says out loud and he hears someone chuckle.

“ key is not here, or if he is- he won’t mind.”

“ no more nightmares then?” Minho asks and becomes visible again. He really wanted to surprise Taemin, but apprarently, the younger one knew him so well. He can’t say he does not like it.

“ none. Its getting better, really, i can have the visions and its not like im blacking out or passing out.” he exclaims and motions to sit up, minho is still on his bed.

“ why? Don’t you want to cuddle?” minho teased.

“ we have alot of things to do today, im sure jino will be pissed if we turned up late.” Taemin reasoned out and placed a kiss on his lips. It was supposed to be soft. Just a pass. But like all other things in his life that he cannot control- it drifted into something more . the kiss was insistent and begging for connection. Minho bit his lower lip and he could not hold it anymore. He pressed his body toward Minho, with him on top and he let himself free.

“ i thought we had alot of stuff to do,” Minho smiled in between kisses.

“ this will be first on my list.” Taemin replied.

“ really? I thought you’re not feeling good,” minho looked concerned and taemin frowned at him.

“ seriously. I want this, okay? Just- you can’t leave me hanging in here- being all hot and bothered. ”

“ shower, maybe?” Minho offered.

“ shower kink!” Taemin spat.

“ NO! ”

But taemin laughed. It was minho’s fantasy, really. Shower. He chuckled some more but was silenced with another kiss. He could really get used to this and the thought of leaving them all alone made his resolve all the more hard. He did not want to die.

Maybe when its done. He can escape.

Perhaps, he can tell them about and they will help him.
But he cannot risk it. They all have something better to do and that is his problem alone. He will not weigh them all down.

“ how about that shower then?” minho finally stops and taemin stands up and races towards the bathroom.

//

Key’s POV.

I was so close to panicking and going to our dorm. Taemin and Minho are supposed to be here an hour ago but they did not show up. Thankfully, i spot them coming towards us, with silly grins on their faces. Thoroughly ed. Im sure.

My stomach lurches as i see them and jonghyun sniggers.

“ atleast we know your lateness if for a good cause!” jonghyun hollers, shameless. I smile at this and Taemin blushes almost purple.

“ oy! He overslept! ” minho defended but i can see the glint in their eyes. This should be awkward and all but we all find it incredibly cute.

“ let’s go! ” Jino pulls me but i resist, i tell him that i need to talk to taemin first. Its been quite some time since we talked.

He looks over at me and i walk towards him, smiling.

“shut up.” He quips,

“what? Im not saying anything! You’re guilty.” I tell him this and he turns to look at some clothes on the stores.

“ so, you two okay now? How about your health?” i ask him and he sighs,

“ imfeeling better, and really- i don’t want to waste all my time wallowing in this weakness.”

He smiles at me and i feel confident with his decision. It is true, but i have a feeling that he is keeping something from me. I want to ask him what, i want to pester him into telling me but just seeing the content look on his face makes me decode otherwise. I will let it pass today. I have all the time, this summer to ask him.

“ so, how about you? ” he asks me as we enter the department store.

“ im okay, i really think we should stock up on food and- ”

“ not that, about onew being your secret keeper.” He says lightly as he picks out a blue towel from the racks.

“ oh. that.”

I haven’t actually been thinking about that lately. Not thinking about it made things easier but he is the key, isn’t he? It was not my fault that my memory got erased, it was ana ccident after all. Onew seems indifferent towards me, i wonder why i trusted him back then to be my secret keeper. I thought it would be Taemin, or Jino. But him? And it does not help that i have a strange attraction towards him. And it is all the more dreadful that he has a girlfriend that he loves so much. Maybe it was better to stay like this?

“ don’t OH THAT me, from the start, i was reluctant-” he started to babble but he stopped himself.

“ you were saying?”

“ nothing, i just said, i was reluctant about- getting your file, i can tell you what you like, you can ask- ”

I felt like he wanted to say something. I hated this feeling of knowing that they everyone around me has the key to my truth but me. The fact that they hold my past and they refuse to give it back. It was not really my past, i can remember everything, my childhood and all those years ago. But there was a blank, a black space that spanned in my life that i cannot remember. It is important. I have a feeling and im almost sure that it is.

“ well, i haven’t got a master plan yet. I just want to get to know onew, really. Get a feel of him, and maybe, he will grant me access.” I reply, it was a lame plan. But its all ive got.

“ do you think its a good idea, i mean- getting close to onew.” He looks at me pointedly. Is my attraction for that man really that obvious?

“ i don’t know what you’re talking about.” I lied.

“ i know, okay. Don’t bother lying. Are you sure? Onew is-”

“ onew is immortal. He has a girlfriend, he is a friend and im ing it all up by having a stupid crush on him. ” I recite it again and Taemin smiles at me.

“ oh, you’re good. ”

Jino is now motioning for us to come over and get some food. It has only been 3 hours but we are getting food again?

“ its minho, he’s hungry,” he explains and i look at taemin who readily lines up to get his food as well. I snigger.

“ those two are shameless are but cute, how is that possible?” Jonghyun asked as we sat down.

“ no clue, i guess its because they are totally inlove with each other. ” i supply,

“ so, taemin is looking good- i take it he’s not affected by taeyeon.”

“ please, let’s not talk about that now.” I pleaded. No. Really. I want a day with no talk about the supernatural. I want a simple day, but i don’t tell him this.

“ i wish we will go overseas for this summer, i don’t mind going on a quest if we get to go to beautiful places and have some fun.”
He whined and i can only smile at him .

“ trust you to find a club and have us party .”

He nods at this and scoots away,

“ where is onew?” minho asks in between bits and i have to bite back a laugh as i see him eyeing taemin from the counter- like he will dissapear if he won’t stare at him.

“ back at base, talking to top and god knows who. I mean, he has to relax.” Jino said,

“ he has alot on his plate,” i defended him.

“ i understand, but i think he forgets that he has us. That he still has the chance to live his life. Like tonight, after the meeting, he plans on going back to the manor and get his stuff.”

Jonghyun caught on and commented as well, “i cant go back to the manor for awhile its still under renovation right?”

Minho said yes,

“ someone should come with him.’ I said, almost to myself.

“ why don’t you come with him then?” Taemin supplied, without looking at me, he was too busy sitting down and eyeing his food.

“ maybe i will.” I smile.

This is a start.

//

“ The Cure. ”

TOP says as we start the meeting at the covenant’s base. I am reading a file folder filled with information about a cure. My body shivered as i realized what it was.

“ the cure to rid the world of the human race and let the ones like us reign.” He says automatically.

“that’s sick.” Jonghyun spat.

“ i know, its our job to get it then destroy.” TOP answered back.

“ we have information that this cure is on the blackmarket. We have to track it down and take it. ”

“ so, we’re stealing now. ” i almost jumped in my chair, i did not realize that onew finally came in to join us. They said he was at a meeting with leeteuk, i pray to god he didn’t mention that i went there and i might pursue him. He sits right next to me and it does not help my sanity.

“ i said that, so, we will need a sponsor- and he is the first part of this quest.”

“ really? ” jino says, interested.

“ we will go to las vegas to meet with someone--”

TOP couldn’t even finish his sentence. I squeaked. Jonghyun and minho gave each other a high five. Jino flew up in the air and danced. Taemin was laughing and even Onew was smiling like crazy.

“vegas! Vegas! Vegas!” jino chanted.

“ if we could all act like grown-ups, we can all shut up.” GD Commented as he stood up. “don’t get too excited. We will be dealing with this man , JYP.’

Everybody’s mood went down, i don’t know why. Onew suddenly whispred on my ear,

“he’s filthy rich, but he’s a prick.”

I nodded and tried not to remember what it felt like to feel his breath fannning over me. Intoxicating. I had to grip my chair tighter.

“ not so happy now?”

“ that’s okay, i can handle that guy and go to parties.” Jonghyun said, confident on his solution. Jino seems to agree.

“ yeah, i mean. Going on a quest? Dealing with JYP will go under that,”

“ what is his power?” taemin asks,

“ aside from being a total douchebag most of time,” GD said, which earned snickers from everyone. “the man has a good ear. Wheter for music, or electronics, or people.its crazy.”

“that’s interesting,” i say and everyone agreed.

“ we need him for the auction, if this cure is really there. He also confirmed that he has information about the cure being in a black market in vegas- but he wants to see us personally. This group, this team, personally. He chose us. ”

“ oh goody!” minho mocked cheered.

I feel like they have some history with this man but no one said a word.

The meeting ended with everyone trying to think for themselves what they should do once we go to las vegas. I catch Onew saying goodbye to everyone and Taemin almost ran me over.

“ go now! Go! He will be going to the manor. Just, go! ” he says quickly and goes back to minho’s side.
I say a lame goodbye to all and stalked onew. He was talking to someone and was truning to leave when i caught up with him.

“ hey!”

He turns to look at me and it was simple really, he just turned toward me and i was floating. It was this ridiculous feeling that i could not shake off.

“ uh- i heard you’re going back to the manor, alone.” I ask,

“ yes, i need to get some stuff and actually look at the place. The contractor told me he will be working to restore it this summer. ” he explains this to me and stops.

“ that’s good! The manor seems like a great place,” i offer, and there is sadness in his face when i mention this.

“ it was. So, i’ll be going then.”

I cannot let him go,

“ i will come with you,” i almost shouted at him. He quirks an eyebrow as he looks at me. “ i know that the others are uncomfortable going back there. And you need someone there, with you. I don’t really remember anything about it, so, “

And as if he lose his resolve, he only nods at me and i happily follow him towards his car. The drive was filled with silence and asking each other about school and what we plan. We both agreed that Las vegas would be fun but at the same time, the mission there was dangerous. We have no idea what its like to deal with he black market and JYP sure has his ulterior motives.

Finally, the manor came into view. It was a lovely- house? No. It seems like a mansion, like a castle. On the outside, it was almost perfect, but the inside was in shambles. Except for the west wing. I can see the look on Onew’s face as he walked and looked at the walls and lights.

“ he seems to be doing a good job, after summer- this will be good as new.”

“ i think so too, why don’t you live here? The four of you?”

“ as you see, its far from uni and at the same time, this is used as quarters for our family.”

Family. I don’t know their family. Shoot. I don’t even know if Jino has a brother or a sister. I keeo quiet as we went to the west wing and he opened a door for me. A bedroom.

“ this will be yours.”

I looked around it and it is intimidating. Gorgeous walls, painted in dark blue. A simple yet elegant chandelier overhead, a four poster bed with a white theme. Plus, a couch that i don’t want to seat in cause i might ruin it.

“ thanks. You didn’t- ”

“ you came here with me, its the least i could do.”

I drop my bag immediately and followed onew. He will be packing his things and i wonder how anyone can do that. I have been packing for a week. We enter his room and i realize that it is almost similar to the one in their apartment, but twice as big with its own bathroom.

“ let’s get packing!” i say this and he chuckles.

We readily picked out his clothes and other things that he needed. The room is silent once more and i don’t know how to bring it up, its not like i can tell him: “ this shirt looks nice and oh, can you grant access to my file? Please? ”

I shove the thought at the back of my head and continued folding his clothes.

“ Leeteuk told me you came to him. ”

RUN NOW. GO. My mind tells me this but i stay rooted.

“ yeah. I did. ”

“so, what did you ask?”

In relief, i answer him back quickly, “ just, if he knows anything about me. But he won’t tell. He said its classified information” i tell him, trying to test if his conscience will kick in.

“ do you really want to remember?” he asks me as he zips up his bag and proceeds to return the other clothes not included.

“ i do, sometimes i think i want to fill that void. You know. But other times, i feel like- maybe it was meant to be. For me to forget. Taemin let it slip one time that it was horrible for me. So maybe, this is post traumatic stress disorder and i can’t remember. Or, selective amnesia and all that. I’ve read about it. Even seen therapists- ” i babbled but onew is listening. “ then i realize, most especially now, that i need it back. Im not stupid you know. Those memories, those black spots in them- they were of you. They were of the covenant. I just knew, when we were introduced. When Taemin told me about it, then i saw you all- you were familiar and i could not place it.”

“that happens,” onew whispered.

“ so, yeah. That’s it. I just want to know. Maybe i was not ready before, but i am now. ” I tell him with conviction but i can see in his eyes that he does nto believe me. Not at all.

“ im sleepy.” I lied and he takes me to my room. He opens the door and i step in, waiting for him to come in for awhile or say something. But he turns around to leave. Here i am, thinking we can be friends and now we are back to square one. I had to say something. Its probably the blasted freudian slip or the universe generally hating on me but i found myself calling out to him.

“ no goodnight kiss?” Oh . Oh . I should probably just jump out the window and never talk to him. But he turns to me and stares?

“i mean-” i try to take it back, but not really.

“ you want me to kiss you.” He states and i blush. I blush like a 13 year old schoolgirl.

“ its a joke, a-”

“ im not a bad kisser, you know.” He supplies and i look at him with wide eyes. This guy is serious, either seriously trying to play me or seriously wants to kiss me. Im hoping its the latter.

“look, its a - ” i come close to him to explain but its not a good idea cause i am now inches away from him and it does not help. He is painfully beautiful and can never be mine. The perfect combination if you ask me.

“ so, you don’t want me to kiss you?” he asks, clearly enjoying my discomfort.

“ No. I mean Yes- I mean, why are you teasing me? ”

He laughs at this and he moves forward. Thankfully, i stay rooted to the ground as i feel his breath fan across my cheek as he kisses, just a small peck on the cheek. Next thing i know, i close my eyes and i see it. A memory? It was of me and him, liplock. Kissing like our life depended on it. Like his kiss will bring me back to life if we tried hard enough. And for a moment, i believe that if he just inched closer and our mouth connected- i will remember it all. Like in those fairytales.

He moves away and i open my eyes to see him looking at me.

“ we kissed before.” I tell him and he looks down. I am pissed at this. Is he going to deny this? “i saw it. I remembered, we kissed. We did. Don’t deny it. Why-”

He cuts me off, “ trust me. You don’t want to remember anything Key. You don’t, don’t make this hard for the both of us. ” he looks defeated and i am momentarily guilty. Its not his fault that i cannot remember anything. I chose him to be the secret keeper. I did.

“ but i do. I need to remember, moments like this- i really do.” I reply, defeated.

“ trust me on this, please. You don’t. And to be honest, those memories- you don’t even want to keep them.”

“ were they that bad?” i ask him.

“ Yes. They were. ” he motions to leave me but i need to ask once more.

“but what about us?” I was indluging myself. I was trying to make something out of thin air. But i had to ask, just this. These feelings i have for him- they are not really wrong. There was something between us.

“ there was no us.” He says forcefully and i fight back the urge to wail and break down. Instead, i turn my head down and i hear the door shut.

Now, more than ever. I am determined to remember. I will have my memories back if it meant i can have him back again. All those hurt, all the horror they keep telling me about- i must endure them all. I open the window to get some fresh air and notice a piece of paper wedged in between the railings. Opening it, i found a simple message:

“Please Remember.”

I look out and there was no one.

Atleast that makes the two of us then.