season ii - ep2

HEROES

 

EPISODE 2- trigger, life & destruction

Eric was having a particularly busy and unusual day. Busier than those days when he has to give out assignments or even to battle with the resistance. Crazier than the day he was placed in office immediately after his bestfriend’s death. This was taking every bit of his energy, more than his days as an agent for the covenant balancing his studies, real life and protecting the world. And it was all because of one person, Onew. The man is alive. He is the Immortal one. He was always in awe of the kid, always the leader around his peers and was always protective. Eric sensed the ‘hero-complex’ surrounding the boy and he nurtured it. The covenant needs people like him, individuals with the thirst to protect the weak. 

“ hyung! Come on! The meeting is about to start! ” Hongki complained as he tapped on the floor repeatedly. As much as he is happy that Onew is alive, this revelation brings about a new era. Change is good, but for them, who have been tied down to one belief for years will find it hard to accept this new truth. A child? Someone as young as onew placed in a position like that had everyone from the Palace raising their eyebrows. 

“ they can wait, i do not want to go out there unprepared.”

“ so, you have a speech for this?” Hongki replied, annoyed. How can this man be all business like despite all of this? 

“ yes I do Hongki. I have a statement to give to the covenant members- so if you could just please wait for me outside and tell the others to wait.”

“ tscch. ”

Eric looked at the paper in his hand once more. He had penned it since last night, he did not sleep for two days eversince the news reached him that Onew is indeed alive. There are series of tests made for Onew, if his aura is still the same. If his energy is still the same, but the tests only gave one thing- he is as fit as before and stronger (if possible). It was a Thursday, when he received the call from Jino. He was crying and laughing at the same time, perfect combination of a maniac.

“Jino, slow down. I cannot understand you,” he replies, trying to calm the boy on the other end.

“ ONEW IS ALIVE!”

“ wha- what do you mean?” It has been days since his death, he saw the body and the coffin. How?

“ i cannot explain over the phone, come over here!”

He quickly clicked his phone shut and travelled to their apartment. They were all there. Jino, Jonghyun, Minho and that resistance bait- Key. Upon seeing him, he had to squint really hard and make a couple of double takes before realizing that it is indeed him. Onew is standing infront of him. 

“ how?” is the first word eric could say and Onew just offered a weak smile. 

“ no, nice to see you and glad that you are alive?” onew joked and eric pulled him to an embrace. 

“ all this time, you are the immortal one? Maybe thats the reason your father was pushing for ending the resistance. He knew we had you. ”

“ I guess that explains some things,” the boy offered and they all sat there in silence. Its a rather eerie feeling to be in the midst of the room. Everyone wanted to speak their mind but all are unable to even find the words. 

“what happens now?” Jino asks innocently and no one knew what to say. No one ever did. 

Eric is now infront of the members of the covenant and each one of them are clearly not believing what just happened. All their questions must be set aside right now, as Onew. The one they considered dead is very much alive and seated infront. He is about to make a speech infront of everyone today. A group of members are rallying for Onew to be the leader of the covenant but he is declining it at the first offer. 

“ everyone please settle down, the meeting is about to start.” Hongki said and the whole room turned towards them. Onew braced himself for the worst. How did his life become as complicated as this? He will never know. Maybe he was such a bad person in his past life that he is punished right now. Eric is saying the facts about his death and resurrection (thats how they want to call it). 

He is telling them how Onew was killed by Tiffany and was buried. The next thing onew remembers is waking up with his body aching all over. There is also the mention of a masked man in black who rescued him. Probably the one who dug him up. Also the same one who left him in Key’s bed.

Key. They haven’t talked since that day in his room. He was quickly whisked away to the covenant and its not like he can parade around the university. 

“ Onew, its time for you to talk. ” Jonghyun nudged him, encouraging him to go infront and talk. The blonde boy is proud of his friend. As kids, they always talked about how Onew will find his power and he should not feel inferior. He always believed that his friend was destined to do something significant and he was not wrong. Onew is the immortal one. “come on, they are all waiting for you.” He said once again.

“ Good morning.” Onew looked around and see familiar people that are looking at him like he was some stranger. Perhaps he should have just stayed dead. It would have been better for them to remember him like how he used to be for now they look at him but the indifference is clear. He was not used to this, the one place were he felt like he could be himself is no longer there. 

“ As many of you know, I died weeks ago. I was told that all you mourned my death and i am sorry for the pain that I have caused each and evryone of you.” His eyes catch Luna’s who only gave him a small smile and put her head down, encouraging him to go on and say what he wants. “ All I remember is the pain and the fear then there was nothing. I was dead. Then for a moment, I can hear something opening- someone pulling me out of that place where i was. ” He lowers his head and looks down at the piece of paper, deciding to skip 2 paragraphs that were written for him. “ I was alive, but i could not open my eyes. I was too weak, perhaps i was drugged but everything was unclear. Then one day, I was able to feel the sun’s rays on my face then I woke up. ”

“ Someone was there, someone, a man in black and with the mask who told me that he took care of me and moved me to a secure location. And that was it, It is confirmed. I am the immortal one. ”

The buzzing sound of everyone’s reactions started to overshadow his last sentence as he stepped off the podium. Eric took the microphone to start with the questions and Minho pushed Onew away from the prying eyes of the others. Jonghyun stopped time to make it easier for them to get out and Jino led the way to another room. 

“ what a bunch of psychos! Aren’t they happy the immortal one is on our side?” Jonghyun complained as he threw cans of soda to his friends. The heat of the weather matches the heated argument going inside the palace. 

“ im with you, ” Minho countered and opened his can, handing it over to Onew who was too busy fixing his hair and his palms. “ they are acting like cowards, they even want to isolate Onew. He’s not some nut who will get out and go side with the resistance.”

“ what should we do? TOP and Jiyong can’t exactly vote for Onew- and even Eric’s position can’t be enough leverage.”

“ Its okay, I will be isolated in this place.” Onew finally replied and the other three protested. 

“ this place is not for you! You should be out on the field!”
“ they have no right to treat you as a prisoner!”
“say NO! You can be relocated to the Manor.”

All words fell on his deaf ears as he desperately tried to keep calm. He can’t even think well this past few days. He needs someone to clear his mind for him, so he can set his sights on what to do next. Eric will do his best to keep him safe like he always did. 

“ The covenant is only looking out for me, and this is all I know.” He explained to them and they continued explaining their side but Onew is too tired to listen. All he wants right now is a new assignment to feel alive once more. 

“ What happened?”

Jino spoke up as Luna entered the room. 

“ Eric, as Onew’s guardian is negotiating on what will happen to him now-” She says and sits down next to Onew. She still can’t believe that he is here, that his hands are holding hers. The day he died was the end of her world and she couldn’t even function normally. “ you are of age, you can decide on your own.”

“ Honestly- Im afraid of the decision i will make, this. This power is bigger than me. Bigger than anyone of us, I won’t let myself make a mistake. Let those elders make the decision. ” Onew replied and gave everyone his best smile. As if to say, let it go. Im too tired to fight this. 

The mood suddenly shifted as Jonghyun came up with a productive idea. 

“ Why don’t we just plan for your party then?” Jonghyun piped up! The blonde who was moments ago, sulking and complaining was now on hyper mode. Eversince Onew came back, all they did was be in closed doors inside the palace for meetings and briefings. Why can’t they celebrate?? 

“ we can have it at the manor! ” Jino added and started opening his phone, texting their friends. 

“ Its not like we can announce that its a party for Onew, who is apparently dead.” Minho countered and shrugged. His head was split in two. Dealing with a friend who happens to be a very powerful being who cannot die- add the fact that he needs to choose if he wants his ex-girlfriend’s soul back. An inner monologue of sorts is happening in his brain and the party that they are planning does not seem appealing. 

Luna is a bit hopeful about the celebration. It won’t hurt to be happy that Onew has returned. 

“ then let’s just invite them, we can make it a masquerade party you know, so that no one will know onew is there.” Her eyes lit up and quickly got the attention of jonghyun and jino who are both signed up to throw a party for Onew. 

“ you guys are really serious about this?” Onew chuckled and all three threw him deathly stares. 

“ this will be the best party ever.” The blonde boy boasted and quietly opened his laptop and typed furiously. As much as he wants to be all ‘hero’-like and worry about what it means for all of them that onew is alive he just wants to celebrate that one of his bestfriends is here and alive. Jino quickly peeked and gave suggestions as well. 

After an hour, A comprehensive plan about Onew’s Resurrection party is underway . A Masquerade party, and aptly titled – UNDEAD. 

//

Onew’s Point of View
The Palace – Phoenix Office


“ how are you Onew? ”

Eric asks casually as I enter his office and i would be awfully happy to tell him about what happened to me if this was an ordinary day. But its not! I rose from the dead for ’s sake. And you ask me, ‘how are you?’ maybe I should answer casually with, ‘im okay, just – you know, hanging out, alive. And did i mention i wll never die?’ . But my respect for this man is more than the problems plaguing me. I won’t let it get to me. So i give him a smile and answered him calmly, 

“ I could use some sleep and a break from people who are planning for a grand party for me.”

Eric chuckles and tells me to sit down. “they mean well Onew, and i have to agree that we should celebrate that you are back with us. Its just that, the politics in this place is crazy. ”

“i understand, so, what happens to me now?” I ask him casually and he walks towards me with a bunch of folders in hand. 

“ you will have to stay in the the Palace or in the Manor. Your assignments will still be given to you but to be accompanied by other members. So, no more solo time for you”

Heaving a sigh of relief, i look at the contents of the folder. The worst thing that could happen is me, being locked up in the capsule under the guards and left alone. Its worst than death if you ask me. I say my thank you to Eric and make my way out of the police. Professor K is my guardian this week and i want to get out. I am not really the type to be going out, but when you learn that you rose from the death its funny how a simple task of going to a shopping mall can be uplifting. 

“ Onew! Here!” Jonghyun calls me and beside him is Professor K who just nods at me. 

“ so, today is shopping day for you party?” he asks me and I say yes. Jonghyun started talking about what we should wear for the masquerade party and that we should meet up with Luna after to pick out the food. 

“ we will be going out of town, where people don’t know you” Professor K says as we climb to our car and make our way to a normal day. But things are not normal for us. After picking out clothes and our masks, we settle in a tiny coffee shop and seated ourselves on the last booth. 

“ Onew, we have an assignment for the palace.” Jonghyun tells me in between biting into his sandwich and stealing a strip of bacon from my plate. 

“ that should be interesting, I want to get ouf of that place.”

“ I felt that too, thats why i fought for them to put you in there.” Professor K tells me and he looks at me, i sense that this is the start of a long briefing. 

“ who are we looking for now?”

“ You know the act of Purification right?” he asks me and I nod. Purification is the ‘judgement’ day version for our kind. People believe in a day when everything will end and others will perish while the others go to heaven. But ours is different, the balance will come when the world is rid of all humans and replaced with powerful beings like us. Three components. 

Jonghyun startles me as he speaks up, “ trigger, life and destruction” Professor nods at him and I wait for him to explain more. “ The trigger is someone who will set off the unrest, which is you Onew. Life, is the kid who can make people live and destruction, well- a powerful explosion that will wipe off everyone.”

“ there is no way a nuclear bomb will be set off.” I replied but I am wrong, 

“ who said it will be a man made weapon? That will be your assignment.”

“ what do you mean?”

“ we need to find this girl, she is the destruction. The file says she is highly radioactive.” Jonghyun tells me and hands me his phone. It displayed the file of the woman we should find. She is fairly young and she does not look dangerous at all. How can this happen to her? I wonder what her reaction will be like, once she realizes how her life will change. I hear people talk abotu change like its a good thing. I come across people who complain, that they want to change their life. But i disagree, i will give up everything to go back to that life. My life when I was there, back in the Manor. 

“ This could be fun, another trip for the two of us,” I tell Jonghyun and he gives me a hi-five. Professor smiles at us, probably happy at the waty we are dealing with this. 

“ lets hope you can convince her to come with you in the palace, and no matter what you do. Make sure that she does not reach her limit, or she will set off.” The professor warned. He tells us that we do not have enough file on the girl and our purpose is to know more. I watched as jonghyun concentrated on eating his spaghetti when we have a clearly serious situation on hand. 

“i guess we will have no problem, jonghyun here is a ladies man, he will surely get that girl wrapped in his fingers,” I joke and Jonghyun defended himself. 

“ you git! The world is in peril! I have no time for Love ; and besides, the last time i broke up with a girl, I was left frozen alive for a day- ” he replied suddenly and I chuckled, remembering what Jessica did to him. 

“ So, what will happen to his masquerade party?” Professor K asked and jonghyun launched into his tale of how my party will happen. He seems happier than me with this plan. My mind wandered and came to a halt I saw someone coming to our table. We haven’t talked since I came back. Which is funny to begin with, because I was left in his bed. He was the first person who knew that I was alive, except for the masked man who dug me off the grave. 

“ Key- ”

Third person POV

Key made his way to the table that was obviously filled with noise. But the source is only one person, a hyper blonde boy who was busy talking about catering service and the color of his tuxedo. Professor K on the other hand is busy eating his sundae and listening intently. Finally, his eyes lands to the last person. He is looking at him but quickly averted his eyes. He had to breathe deeply and use the mantra his doctor taught him to be able to walk over to the table without any sweat. The first ime he saw him alive was nerve-racking. He couldn’t even call anyone, much less move. The first one he called was the professor who took it from there. 

“ you are the first one he came to, that means something.” He remembers the professor’s words but quickly dismissed him. Explaining that a masked man dropped him off. But the thought is still in his head, why him? 

As he greets the table and the professor smiles at him. Jonghyun loudly says hello. Onew just nods at him and scoots over so they can sit beside each other. 

“ the sundae tastes really good! Try it! ” the professor offers. 

Key nods in approval and Jonghyun launches into his plan for the masquerade. 

“ you should come. ” that was the first words he first uttered to Key eversince that night. Key blinked a couple of times and faced him, Onew cleared his throat and explained. 
“to my party, these guys organized it.” He gestured towards jonghyun who was all smiles and was definitely proud of his achievement. “ its supposed to be a masquerade party. ”

“ i think its genius! Key, you should come!!!” Jonghyun said and Key smiled at them and nodded with a yes. He found it hard to eat properly as his elbows brushed Onew. Found it hard to chew his food as he could hear Onew’s voice. He could not swallow properly and had to close his eyes just to endure the feeling that onew is beside him. 

“ something wrong?” Onew asked nonchalantly and handed him a glass of water. 

“ yeah- yeah, im fine.” He takes the glass of water and professor K stood up, telling them that he and jonghyun should be going. 

“ we will finalize the files for the next assignment,” the professor simply said and they were finally out. Key pushed his plate away from him. They need to talk. Now. 

“ how are you feeling?” he mentally slapped himself for such a poor comment. 

“ alive.” Onew answers simply and Key glares at him, “ what? I am alive, that is all i feel. You’re the one who is not talking to me. ”

It startled Key that he knows that too. 

“ im not, i just- Its not that easy to go back to how we used to be. I guess im just afraid,” he swallowed hard and Onew looked ath im intently, hanging on to his every word. “ I wake up everyday, just waiting for someone to tell me that you are dead and i was just dreaming.” Onew gaped at his words and Key avoided his gaze. There, he said it. After that night, a nagging feeling that everything was a lie kept creeping inside his head. That one day, someone will call him up and tell him that it was all an imagination. 

Key wished to stand up and leave but Onew quickly grabbed his arm firmly. 

“ im sorry.” He quipped and Key finally turned to him, “ I shouldn’t have done that-”

Key chuckled lightly, “are you saying sorry for dying? Seriously?”

The tension lifted and Onew laughed as well. “well, yeah. I guess i am sorry, iwas supposed to protect you.” Key snapped at this. 

“ LOOK. Because of protecting me, you died. Don’t do that again. Please. Don’t- stop trying to keep me alive. ”

But onew is insistent and shot back, “ incase you haven’t heard, i won’t die. So I will use that all up to keep you alive.”

The statement sealed the conversation and Key could nto do anything but shut up and think about something witty to say. Onew on the other hand was feeling good about himself. Admittedly, he is confused on the impact of a boy in his life. Even before the truth came out, he has the irrational pull to save the boy and make sure that no one can tarnish his soul. And now, the drive to protect him is even greater. 

“so, i will see you on your masquerade party.” Onew finally said as he caught sight of a covenant member. Probably a new guardian as the professor left. Key said okay and he walked out. 

//

Key’s Point of View. 

“ i look hideous.” I tell myself for the tenth time this evening as i stare at my stark white suit, ready to be buried someplace. My mask is that of a skull. I know its not halloween, but the mask just called out to me. The title is UNDEAD right? I know im taking it a little bit literally. But, who cares? Taemin is fixing my hair to no avail and i glare at him. He is not wearing a costume or what. He refused to go to the party, I cannot blame him though.

“ i cant believe you are selling me out.” I joked but Taemin is clearly taking everything seriously now. 

“ im not, i just cannot stand in a room where everyone obviously wants me to give up my body so that their precog robot can come back.” He replies darkly and i shut my mouth. Minho came here an hour ago but i shoved him away. Telling him that Taemin won’t talk to him in any way. They haven’t been hanging out anymore. Its funny how things change. One day, you are virtually inseparable and the next- you cannot even bear the sight of him. 

“ you have to face him one of these days,”

“that day is not now.” He says finally and dusts off my tuxedo. He gives me the thumbs up and i sigh dramatically. 

“if you say so, don’t wait up for me okay?”


The manor is nothing like what Onew described to me. His descriptions pale in comparison to the actual house. White and marble. High ceilings and old chandeliers. Paintings of people i do not know. Everyone is wearing their best and the masks are a sight to behold. Jino is quickly behind me.

“ Key! You came!! This is perfect, wait! I will get you a drink. ”

I nodded and walked on my own, my eyes catch the sight of Luna. As much as i want to hide myself, she spots me and moves towards me. “oh .” I cannot talk to here. Please, oh god! Don’t make her catch me. But as soon as i thought i escaped, a hand grips mine and there is not return. 

“ im glad you made it, ”

Really? I mentally asnwer back but i bit my tongue and simply answered, “ yeah- jonghyun was soited when he invited me, i could not say no.”

Luna smiled, obviously warming up to me. 

“he is! He practically planned all of this- we need something- anything to make us happy, you see- and, its going really well.” I nod and look away, faking the act of finding someting really interesting but im just looking at thin air. 

“ Look, Key- about what i did.”

“ its okay Luna, i understand.” I cut her off but she seems persistent. 

“ i was out of line, we are all grieving his lost and i was wrong for blaming you.”

Finally. I tell myself and i suddenly feel sorry for her. Ofcourse, he will blame me for taking his perfect boyfriend away from her. If i was in her position, i would have done something worst than that. 

“ so, are we okay now?” i smile ather and her eyes lit up. 

“ofcourse we are, wait, Eric told me something about you- you are planning on joining the covenant?”

DAMN ERIC. I told him to keep it a secret. When Onew died, the idea had been playing in my head. And i need all the guidance i can get. 

“yeah, im supposed to meet him here.”

“ does onew know?”

I purse my lips and look pleadingly at her, “ no. I want him to know when im already a part. ”

She keeps quiet and Jonghyun approaches us, whisking me away and introducing me to their friends from the covenant. After countless names, i finally came face to face with eric who has his serious face on. He tells me to follow him and we round up to a corner of the function.

“ your test will be tonight, i gather the professor told you what happens.” He says starightforwardly. No how are you or are you enjoying the party. 

“ yes, i jump off a cliff and if i survive, im in.”

He snickers at my confidence and i cannot blame him. The first time the professor told me about this, i literally fell of my chair. The cliff is enchanted and has been a testing ground for years. If you die, it means you are not destined to be a member of the covenant. And even if you survive, its not even a guarantee. Some resistance members were from the covenant as well. 

“ you were informed correctly, proceed to the entrance in ten minutes and we will go.”

“ thank you- ”

“don’t- i told onew about this, and he will demand an explanation, he is coming over here now. Goodluck.”

I froze in my place as i hear footsteps come towards me. . Its onew. He is clearly pissed at me and i try my hardest to look strong and that he cannot affect me. But he can and one look from him made my knees buckle. The initiation into the covenant did not frighten me as much as it did now. I expected him to shout or seeth his words at me but he did the exact oppositte. 

“ come here,” taking my hand in his, he led me to the entrance of the manor and continued to drag me till we reached eric’s car. Waiting for me. 

“ hey! Let go!” I protested, but he refused to release me. Instead, he quickly faces me and i can see the concern in his eyes. 

“why didn’t you tell me anything? ” he tells me and i quickly give him a reply, 

“ I know you will say No, and besides, i want to tell you when i already passed.”

“ but you could die if you fail!” his voice rising, i put my head back down and pretend to not care but my heart is racing so fast that I will it to slow down. Why can’t i affect my own emotion? 

“ I know the consequences, Eric told me, but do you really think I will fail? Do you think im not fit enough to be part of the covenant?” I challenged and he is quite for a while. I can feel Eric’s eyes on me, he is waiting for me. Its time to go to the cliff. 

“ I will come with you.”

And with that. He takes my hands one more towards eric and the car. 

“ oh, You are coming with us onew?” eric asks him and he says yes. Eric gives me a small smile and i glare at him. Way to leave me with Onew! 

The drive to god-knows-where was uneventful. No one spoke a word and it was like an awkward ride with your parents before they drop you off to school. Once we stop, I recognize where we are. This is a private owned land that kids trespass to. But, because of stories, it was told that its a haunted forest and that if you go further- you will die. Maybe, that is the clliff they were talking about. 

“ here we are! ” eric cheered, rather cheerfully. He was really happy that I want to be part of the covenant. Unlike onew, he seems 100% sure that I will end up alive. 

“ haunted forest” I whisper under my breath but Onew catches my voice. 

“ yeah- every kid’s worst nightmare. But its not- really, its a great place.”

“ i hope it will be great for me as well,” i reply bitterly and he holds my hand again. If he makes a habit out of this, he will be completely sorry; cause im getting used to his hand on mine. 

“ do you really wanna do this? I thought you want a normal life,”

We continue walking and moving forward and i asnwer him back. “ it was you- dying. That made me want to do this.”

“ but im alive now, ” he argues.

“ no, its you- dying for someone like me. A weak kid like me, you see- i sort of” I trail off but he encourages me to talk, “i want to be like you, be able to protect others. Before i met you, i felt like a freak and that this was a curse. But you and the others made me realize that there is something more.”

I feel like an idiot for my sappy answer but its all true. The silence envelopes us again and we stop at the edge of the cliff. 

“ so. I just jump?” 

“ yeah, pretty much. Its that easy,” eric offers and onew glares at him.

“ i will jump off the cliff with him,” Onew finally says and i gape at him. Eric has a knowing look in his eyes directed at him. 

“ you are taking the hero thing way too seriously onew,”

“ im not joking,”

I face him and plead one last time, 

“ you don’t have too, i can do it myself don’t worry.” He seems to not hear me as i say this. In a second or two, he forces my hand into him and drags me towards the edge and I have no choice but to fall. 

In that moment, my world did not stop. It did not slow down or whatever dramatic characterization that I hear about happened. I only felt one thing. I felt alive. Living my whole life being cautious and calculated, this is the first time that I am caught by surprise. And with onew no less. I feel the wind in my face it almost hurts. I feel the gravity fighting me. The pressure in my ears is too much as well. But the warmth in Onew’s hands balance all the crazy in this moment. 

And before i can collect my thoughts, i hit sold ground. Pain. 

Will i die? But then I hear laughter. Someone pulling me up and Iam greeted by his face. 

“ you made it! You made it!” I look at my body and im in one peice, same as him. Not even a scratch or a bruise. How can this be possible? I jumped off a cliff, unscathed. 

“ you are part of the covenant!” onew tells me as he pulls away. 

Then it hit me. This is no dream, Onew is alive and well. Onew is infront of me and i am locked in a tight embrace with him. Then I did the stupidest thing I have done in my life, but it felt so right. Maybe i should just regret it later.

I grabbed both sides of his smooth face and pressed my lips to his. I held his face to mine tightly, but after a few seconds I realized that Onew wasn't responding. He was frozen in place.

I pulled back to look at him and instantly regretted taking the chance and kissing him like that. His eyes were wide with shock and it seemed like he wasn't even breathing.

Goddammit! I really ed up…