Episode 6 - sands of time

HEROES

 

Key’s POV

It was like being in a rollercoaster ride, only to find halfway that you did not have your seatbelt on. You are now scrambling for anything to hold onto. Losing your mind and finally. Finally, your feet is on the ground and your head is aching. Throbbing. How the hell did i get here? Looking around, i see that we are back at the hotel lobby. Everything is as it was.

“ I don’t understand,” I say and turn to see the man from moments ago, I guess his name is Tablo.

“ i took you back.”

He said simply, like that explains it all. Like his power of being able to turn back time, be a in time traveller is not a big deal at al.. I study him closely, how can someone like him have a power like this? So strong.


I look around and i spot me, introducing woohyun to Onew and i cannot help but notice the irritaion on Onew’s face. I am too stupid and vulnerable to even think that woohyun could be trusted. Onew was right, he was a spy. Maybe he is also right when he told me that i do not deserve to know the truth. He is right in telling me that i am not ready to see my files. If there was something the past me did right, it was that. Letting Onew be my secret keeper. My eyes burn, looking at the both of us. Fighting like that. Was there a time we were close? I knew we kiss and it bothers me all too much. I feel such a loon. Worrying about a kiss from a forgotten memory when the world rests on our shoulder.

Tablo senses my cluelessness and motions for me to come.

“ in a minute, i will shoot at jyp and i will miss.’ He says calmly and i doubled over.

“ you shot jyp? ”

“tired.” He emphasized, leading us upstairs. “ just a distraction, i needed to know who will protect that git. Turns out, there are more who wants to kill him.” He answers me and he is in position and he takes out a gun.

“ why, the guy you want to rescue. L, he is not here. He- ”

“ I know, i need them to panic and try to secure JYP. By then, i can get to L. But you know what happens.”

“ we come late and woohyun leads us to a trap.” I tell him.

“ I came in late, i wasn’t sure if i can enter the warehouse. Your group came and i thought, i can get inside. Especially when i saw Onew.” He explains and loads the gun, with expert hands. I think he’d done this for a long time already. I stand there, fascinated at how he operates.

“ what about onew?”

“ i met him before, past or future. I don’t know, he is familiar and i know i can trust him.”

“ you go back and forth in time?” i ask him, that is interesting but it must be confusing.

“ I do, but not too much time back or even forth. I cannot risk it, i cannot risk altering too much. ” he explains and aims. He turns to me and i nod, i am not afraid he aims and shoots. Chaos erupts and he tells me that we need to get out now. I follow his suit and i look down, seeing us scrambling and looking for the perpetrators.

“ now, we rescue L. ”

I nod and follow him in his car. He drives swiftly and i cannot help but fidget. How am i supposed to help? I know we came back in the past to change what happened. To stop the necromancer from getting L. Somehow, i feel inadequate. Maybe, he should have just taken Onew with him. Not me.

“ what’s the plan?”

“we get in their earlier, we take L and to your hotel. They are all too busy back at the casino chaos.” He explains.

“ what happens then, to the future me. ” i ask,

“ oh. As soon as you come face to face with yourself. This, you, right now will become an astral projection and fade away.”

“ i won’t remember this.” I tell him.

“ you will remember the facts as the truth. What happened in the future, you will forget it- ” he stops, trying to explain. “it’s hard to explain, that’s why it is so hard to take someone with me when i travel. ”

“then why did you take me?”

“ your memory is a bit- how should i say?” he looks apologetic. “ incomplete. I can tell, so, i won’t harm your thinking that much.”

“ right. ” i say bitterly.

“ you know, sometimes, that’s better. My mind is a bit muddled as well. I may be immune to all this travel paradox for my brain. But it gets to me.” He offers nicely but it does not make me feel better. I want to ask him to take me back . way back. So i can know the truth about me? But i am at war with myself. Is it worth it? Will he even say yes to my suggestion? I push the thoughts away as we arrive at the warehouse.

“ we can just come in and get L,” I tell him and we head on.

The warehouse looked the same and i know where he is. I am right, he is seated in the center.

“ who placed him here?” i ask.

“ the in black market, selling him like expensive china.” He seethed. “but they realized how dangerous he is so they left him here so those who want him can kill each other trying.”

I shuddered. Who is he? I know there are powers out there. But what is with this kid? I honestly cannot think of anything else.

“ hyung,” i hear him say, his voice is raspy and i reach out.

“ hey,” i tell him and i try and project calm and hope towards him. Something inside me shifts, like i am stronger. My power is more potent somehow and i let go.
“ how?” i ask and the boy smiles at me.

“ L, we need to go.” Tablo says and unties him, effectively carrying him. “ i’m sorry,” he says.

“ it’s not your fault, we just need to hide better.” Tablo says finally. I cannot help but feel sorry for them. Seeing tablo, he looks like he is the same age as eric. At the prime of his life, with a power like tgis but he is stuck in running and hiding. And L, He looks younger than me, probably close to taemin’s age. And here he is, pawn to a powerplay.

“ we need to go,” i plead. I look at my watch, the time is getting close. We need to get L out of here. In between the time jyp went to the hospital. Back to the hotel and talking to woohyun. We wasted alot of time already.

Loading ourselves in the car i feel myself fading. Literally.

“ you will fade away soon, as we near the hotel.”

“ but i won’t be here, i will be at the warehouse, figthing.” I reasoned.

“ No, i slipped a note on future you’s coat. Telling him to stay behind, to meet us in a specific room.” He explains and i smile. I am really knew at this. Tablo is really a pro. I glance at L, he looks at me, i know he wants to ask.

“ my name is Key, i am an empath. I don’t have much memories, someone took them away. ” I explain to him. I feel like, he is the type of person who won’t talk to you unless you lay all the cards infront of him. He deserves to know, i bet he had a hard life.

“ my name is L.” He offers.

“ the truth comes later.” Tablo says.

We arrive at the hotel and i see myself. What the hell. That is me, waiting in the parking lot and i feel myself disappearing.

“ later.” Tablo tells me and everything went black.

/////////////////////////////////////////


I am not standing outside, a car is approaching and i realize just how surreal this is. I have merged with my true body, in the present. I looked at myself, my hands and touched my shoulders and my hair. It’s me. But. The car door opened and tablo quickly came out, with L in tow.

“ see what i mean ?” he tells me, a smile playing on his lips.

“ it’s weird and interesting,” i comment. I lead them inside, towards our room. I have to think of a way to explain to them what happened. I bet it won’t be surprising for them to know that there is a time traveler. Jonghyun would be happy to meet him, they have the same element of power.

“ are you registered via the covenant? ” i ask.

“ when i was a kid, but after the war, i went rogue.” He asnwered swiftly and L eyed me, he speaks up after tablo. “ i am a rogue.

” what is your power?“ i ask kindly and his eyes shift to tablo. They both enter the room and i tell them to sit. Clearly, my question earlier was something they don’t want to answer.

“ i hope you understand, i trust you. I trust the covenant with this secret, but L’s safety still lies with me.” He explains and i can see L looking around the hotel. He looks so dishiveled and foreign. How stupid of me, i should offer a shower and new clothes.

“ uh- L, you wanna freshen up a bit? I’ll call onew and tell them to meet us here.” I offer. I doubt that, right now, they are in a battle with the resistance. How i remember that Necromancer. I never knew someone can have that power.

“ go on. “ Tablo tells him and he obeys.

I hand him my shirt and some sweatpants. I suddenly realize that Taemin is here as well, somewhere in this hall. Should i go to him? I pick up my phone and he immediately answers.

“ go to 906 now. ” i tell him and he does not even ask me why. Maybe it’s the urgency in my voice or because he is such a good friend that will come to my aid when i need someone.

“ who was that?” tablo asks as L closes the door to the bathroom.

“ one of us and my bestfriend, Taemin.”

“ oh, the new seer of the covenant?” he replies, genuinely interested.

“ how did you know?”

“ I’m in the loop when it comes to this things.” He says simply and someone knocks on the door. I shout a ‘come in’ and taemin steps in. He looks pale, but i mean, he looked worst before and this is a good day for him. He eyes tablo, and then back to me, them i give him a nod. A signal that everything is fine.

“ i’m tablo.” The man tells him and taemin shakes his hand. “ you really look like taeyeon” his words were the wrong ones because taemin visibly flinched.

“ so, Taemin, he is tablo we met because he is a time traveler.” I interjected. A poor way to distract him, I know. I really do. But it is the only way i can shift his mind so easily. To tell him something that outrageous in the beginning.

“ what have you gotten yourself into now?” Taemin asks.

“ nothing, it;s just that he-” i point to tablo. “ is guarding someone like us. He is in the shower actually, and he needs help. The black market caught him-”

“ he is the one we are looking for?” Taemin asks.

“ I - ” I turn to look at tablo.

“ he is important to this war.” Tablo only says and i turn back to taemin, challenging him to question the man once more.

“ You know, they will be pissed that you went behind their back on this one. Especially onew.”

My heart sank. I need to call him now. I need to tell him what is happening. Not because i am afraid of what he will think of me, but because i see him as a leader. In a way, i owe him this. If i did not believe him in his assumption about woohyun, then we would have lost L. I can feel that he is the key to all of this. I felt this way before, but i cannot pinpoint the exact moment. That is what’s wrong with my memory. I remember the feeling. I recall the taste and smell and even the pain. But never the exact detail and what exactly happened.

Taemin stays silent and all we hear is the sound of the water.

Tablo curls up on the couch, telling us to wake him up when they are about to arrive.

“ call him now, better you say it before he barges in here. I bet you won’t be able to say a single word.” He retorts and as much as i want to relent and tell him that he is wrong, i am defeated. I call him and in three rings he picks up.

“what”s wrong?” he says in haste.

“ I-” smart move key. Not even a word in and you are stuttering.

“ I have two people in here who can help us.” I tell him honestly. The simplest way i can explain, really.

“ let me guess, one of them is a time traveler,” his words almostmade me jump. Onew is really something, i always wondered what his power was, eversince i met him.

“ how did you know?”

“ someone from the resistance was looking for him. I am familiar with him, read about him on some files. But not personally. Who is he with?”

“ someone like us as well. I just don’t know what his power is. ” i can hear him sigh on the other end.

“ we will come there as soon as we can, that run in with the resistance was not pretty.”

“ I know, im sorry- i just- ” what will i say? Really. That i’m sorry i ruined everythng in the past? I realized how had it must be for tablo. To hold such power over everyone. To manipulate too much that it blurs the reality.

“ talk to you later. That , whoever that time traveler is guarding. He is important and we need him as leverage.” He says.

“ the time traveler’s name is tablo, and the one he is guarding is L.” I inform him. “ tablo said he will tell everything when you guys get here. “


“see you. Be safe.” He clicks the phone shut and i anticipate his return.

Tablo is obviously taking a nap while taemin is watching him like a hawk. L finally comes out, all scrubbed up and new. He looks at me and mouths a thank you. I tell him to come with me and eat something.

“ so, how old are you?” i ask.

“ almost 18.” He answers honestly as he scoops up the mashed potato and rams it into his mouth.

“ when did you realize you have powers?” He does not seem to mind my meddling because he readily answers me,
“ i knew i was different, eversince. But i figured it out and learned the truth when i was 14. you?” he turns to me.

“ oh. Weeks, maybe months ago.’ He looks surprised at my answer. “ my case is unique. I think, i’ve known before. But you see, my memory is lost. I- Apparently, i asked the oracle to wipe away my memory.” I chuckled bitterly, trying to make light os the situation.

“ tablo told me stories about the Oracle, you must have been in deep pain.” His words were so honest. The most basic explanation of the reason why i probably wanted to forget. Why i thought a life full of questions that may never be answered was better,. Pain. I could not handle the Pain.

“ i’m sorry,” he quickly says and stopped eating.

“ no, it’s fine. I don’t mind.” Really, i don’t. I tell that to myself everytime. “go on, eat.”

He motions that he is already full and looks at me. “ i have always wanted to be part of the covenant. Tablo even tells me stories about the council.”

The council. I have heard them talk about it. A group of 4 people, the strongest of all. I Have seen leeteuk, but he is just the face of the council.

“ i did too.”

“ you’ve never met them?” he asks, surprised.

“ no. Not really, i am just a beginner. ”


I heart taemin calling out to us and I move towards the noise. They are here. They all look dishiveled and pissed off.

“ setup.” TOP only said, he is clearly seething. He hates being behind the enemy.

“ no one died, that’s what matters.” GD added and i smiled at him, he really knew how to balance top’s temper.

“who are they? ” Jino asks. He looks excited as usual. I have never seen someone so happy when he sees people like us.

“ tablo.” Tablo cuts in, he nods at TOP who looks like he recognizes him.

“ how nice of you to join us.” TOP replies and Onew looks at me, as if wanting to ask me. He walks towards me and stands beside me.

“ I am the guardian of L,” Tablo mentions and points towards L who gave a shy wave.

“ what do they want from the kid?” Jonghyun asks,

“ I won’t even ask how you got Key to cooperate.” TOP starts, glancing at me. Suddenly, i feel so stupid. I am just too gullible in cases like this. I am not as calculated as TOP, with plans every step of the way. I act on instinct. “ I know you served the covenant well.”

I looked at tablo, he sad he went away when he was young? He lied to me.

“ i am not asking for sanctuary,” he snaps. “ we need each other. I am sure of that.”

“ what do you want?” Onew says and i can feel his impatience. We came here to have fun and take whatever information jyp tells us. But this is going for the worst. More questions and no answers. I try to calm him down and he turns to me, i avoid his eyes.

“ that cure you are looking for.” Tablo starts and L comes close to him.

“ it’s being sold , we need to steal it. ” Minho says plainly, i did not even notice him. He is at the back, obviosuly keeping his distance from Taemin.

“ no need, i have it with me. ” he says simply and we all stare at him. Personally, i was waiting for something shiny and small. Even a syringe or something horrendous. Anything. A cure. Something that will eradicate all the weak ones and leave us , the ones with power. Like something out of an apocalypse film.

“where?” TOP asks, all calm and collected but i know he is eager to know the truth.

“ it’s me. ” L suddenly speaks up and my heart falls. NO. This kid. This innocent kid who ahould be going to school and experiencing his life? Someone who clearly knows nothing about the world. His life will get harder after this. I move towards him and he speaks once more. “ i can enhance the power of those like us, but for humans , if i touch them and i want it, they can die.”

“ but you are only one person, how can you kill everyone?” GD asks,

“ it’s something in my blood- and,” he stutters.

“ i don’t know yet, we don’t know the extent of his capability. Before, it was just his hands. Right now, it can be almost telepathic. Like a satellite even, when he wants it.” Tablo explains and i can feel everyone’s nerves. Right here, in our hotel room is the only person that can kill the human race. And he is a kid, who just ate and took a shower here.

“ well, what do we do now?” Onew asks, quickly recovering from the shock.

“ you help us, protect the boy. And i will help you with the quest. ” tablo states. This quest we need to take. It sounds almost too much, unreal. But this is a good deal and i look downwards. I won’t get a say in this, if someone will, it will probably be top, gd and onew.

“ I am too tired for this. ” Jonghyun exclaims. “ i vote we sleep on it and decide when our heads are clear. ” he shots me a look and i take that as a signal to manipulate people’s emotions. Onew stares at me and i look back, trying to not look away.

“ i agree, i need to talk to leeteuk and other members of the covenant.” TOP says and makes his way outside, with tablo tagging along. L ran after them and i smile at him, reassuring him that everything is fine. Everyone decided to go back. How funny, moments ago, we are holding the world’s future in our hands and we decide to go to bed. I am too tired and wired as well, decision like this need time. But i made up my mind, i will protect L.

“ what do you think? ” Onew asks. I am so lost in thought that i did not realize we are the only ones left in the main area. Everyone either went back to their rooms or what.

“ I trust them, and i want to protect L. ” I tell him simply.

“ i’m not sure about tablo, but i have seen him before. Probably in the house or the headquarters. ”

“ the cure is the reason why we came here in vegas, we have him. That is all that matters, right?” I ask. He looks at me, and i cannot take the way his eyes study me. I am afraid that at one point, i might burst. This intensity, i am not used to it. Or maybe, i was before. But certainly, not now.

“ we need to be careful, it would be easier if it was a thing. A literal weapon, but a human being. Too complicated.” He sighs and i agree. Not to mention, he is just a kid and new to this life. Not exactly, but i have a feeling tablo has been keeping him away.

“ thanks for not getting angry,” i blurt out and he chuckles.

“ you always had the knack for getting in trouble.” He explains and i can’t help but have hope. Those little stories of how i used to be. Of who i was and how i acted.

“ maybe i did, i feel like that too.” I smile at him and he does too. I feel like an absolute fool, standing here, less than a foot away but i cannot do anything. He is my secret keeper. He makes me remember. And yet, here we are, acting all chummy and foreign to each other. This civil facade is making me want to ask him , just ask him who i was. Plead for him to tell me. This is confusing.

“ let’s go to bed,” he suggests and i say the stupidest thing in the world. Blame the lack of sleep and adrenaline. The desperation and my foolish crush, t tell him : “ is that an invitation?” as soon as i said it, i look down and i am blushing. I know it. I just.

He shuffles forward,

“ sure, if that’s your kind of thing,” his voice is light and teasing. He knows, like any other man that i am attracted to him. It’s a general rule, not just with a girl and boy attraction.

“ I didn’t- ” i stutter and suddenly, his hands are on my chin, lifting my face up. I stare at his eyes, and it’a almost searching.

“ you know better than this, ” he tells me.

“ better than what? I am the one with no memories here, you better take the lead.” I am surprised at my abilit to form coherent sentences and his eyes turn wary,

“ we just couldn’t stay away,” his voice is weak, almsot fading and he lets go. He gives me a small smile and waves, a sort of goodnight gesture.

After all those days i had been thinking. Those lapses and times i wanted to remember, he said the right word. It was always about him, isn’t it? And he is right.

I couldn’t stay away,

===================================


author's note: 

Hello to all the readers of HEROES. Yes, I am back. this story is back. on the roll. To those who just started reading this series, let me tell you that the first season episode one was poster January 5, 2011. it has been over a year. alot of hiatus. setbacks. alot has happened in my life and i needed to sort them out. But right now, i guess i came to the realization that even if everything else falls apart i still have my writing. I still have my stories. I can still string these words and turn them into something more. 
 
I admit, the reason why there was such a delay on this was because I was afraid. this story is so dear to me, i have big hopes for this series and i was just too scared to take that step. the story will expand and they will change, alot of subplots and ties to end. alot of planning. it all became too much. writing is very personal to me. I am a loner and naturally, this is what is close to my heart. i tried to make one shots and chaptered fics here and there. but i knew, one day, I will wake up and tell myself that it's time to face this. to write for Heroes again. 
Thank you for those who continue to read this. to those who recommended it, to those who sends me messages to continue this. You guys are my inspiration.
 
I only advertise via taeminho and onkey comms on livejournal. as well as my tumblr and i tag it. Please recommend if you could. Thank You. 
 
Updates will be once a week, onwards.