season iii - ep4

HEROES

Episode Four – keep your eyes open

“ what a lovely castle you have here.” Heechul greeted and announced his presence as he entered the room. It was lit by bright lights that seemed to illuminate a place that was filled with darkness of the people living there. It was a pure excuse, really. As he looked at the plush rugs, the well-kept sofas and the television set that looks untouched. This was not a room, not a personal space, this was a showroom. A call to everyone that says: ‘hi, im a person. Im a regular person, now. Stop looking at me.’ But heechul knew better. The man infront of him smiles at him and shakes hand, with a firm grip. He wonders if this is how evil looks like. It doesn’t look like it at all. The man infront of him looks like a next door neighbor who greets you goodmorning everyday. That man who says hello when you get back from school and helps your moms as she carries the grocery.

“ the popular Z.” He greets as his puppets circle the both of them. The man facing him did not seem at all intimidated. Others find it hard to keep a straight face when 8 people are looking at you, more of staring at you.

“and the unknown Necromancer, heechul. ” he greeted back. “this is a lovely entourage you have,” he gestures towards the 8 puppets around them.

“ the one you want is downstairs,” heechul says,

“ keep him there. I don’t need him now, ” Z replied and sat back down. The battle has just started. They have lost alot of good men and women. Alot of warriors, and there will be more. But it was all a worthy sacrifice for the future. He does not know what will happen next, but the plan is to be the strongest team that is. Its better to have the elements with him. Their power may not be the same, but its better than nothing at all.

“ what should i do now?”

“ You are going to las vegas with my team. ”

Heechul’s eyes lit up, “ that’s good, my dolls miss Las vegas. It was their playground”. He remembers the city, the lights and the freedom he felt. Everyone was not who they reall yare in vegas. The teacher becomes a y woman who can hook up with anyone. The married man is a staple on the bar without his ring. And people like him, can sit down and enjoy his life.

Z chuckled at this, “ im counting on it. I need your dolls as well, the more- the merrier.” He hands him a glass of wine but heechul refuses.

“ who are the others?”

“ You’ve met tiffany. We also have hyuna, g.o and mir to come along. ” He replied as he stands up to look at the mirror. “they are one mof my favorite team, ”

“ tiffany, she was a friend of onew, right?” heechul asked, waiting for some reaction from the man- but nothing. “ your son.”

“ indeed.” Was the reply, in a cold tone. Like he rehearsed this years ago, that this detachment is something that was familiar to him.

“ don’t you miss him then?” he asks once more.

“ You are forgetting something, I died years ago. ”

Z steps toward heechul and hands him his tickets and an envelope that contains more about the assignment and what he should do. As Heechul scanned it, he smirked. This is ingenious. Its been a long time since he played like this.

“ this will be fun.” He says and stands up.

“ It is fun, but you must make sure to get the cure.” Z spoke finally and he was dismissed.
Heechul heads out and sees Tiffany along with another woman with orange hair and wearing a short skirt that should be banned from being worn. With them was a man who had brown hair and had too many products on it that it stood up. Tiffanny eyed him and frowned, he greeted back with a huge smile and hello.

“ My favorite person! Tiffany! ” he calls out and the girl glares at him.

“ good evening heechul,” she halts and motions to her friends. “ this is Hyuna, this is Mir.” Both of them said hi, even shook his hands.

“ so, we will be going to vegas together!” he exclaims and Mir’s eyes lit up. Hyuna started to fist-pump but Tiffany wanted to strangle the man infront of her.

“ you will be taking your puppets with you?” Tiffany snapped.

“ but ofcourse madame, I will. My puppets – they are my family. They are a part of me, much like these two are to you.” He explained calmly but she’s not having any of it. This man looked like someone who should not be trusted. He is not a traitor, she gathers. But he is a one-man type. If he gets what he wants, he will leave them all to die.

“ so, you’re the necromancer then?” Hyuna asked and stared at him. She could not believe it when she first heard about it. Well, she’d read about someone like him in one of the libraries in the castle. Btu she did not know that it can be reality. All those legends about sons of death, songs of angels, time lords and all those stories that you believe that will never come to life. It was like a fairy tale come true. The only difference was this one did not have a magic wand and unicorn with it.

“ the one and only.” He responded.

“ hyuna, we have things to do. Z will talk to us,” tiffany nudged her and heechul stopped them.

“ that’s rude, don’t you think? ” heechul eyed her, “she is talking to me, don’t be rude. Trust me, i will be gentle.”

“ shut up. Don’t test me, i am tolerating you-” tiffany seethed and heechul moved closer.

“ why do you hate me so much?” heechul chuckles and lays a hand on her shoulder, almost.

“ if you touch me, i will kill you. I swear im telling the truth. ” Mir moved to break them apart and suddenly, people started coming. Heechul’s dolls.

“don’t worry! Its nothing!” he announces to his puppets who stopped their feet from moving.

“ how lovely,” hyuna comments, genuinely interested.

“ thank you madame, glad that you see it that way.” Heechul spoke, as he eyed tiffany.

“ come on tiffany,” Mir ushered the two girls but tiffany looked at heechul straight in the eye. She did not like this man. She knows about him, these necromancers have no value for life. Why should they? They have no allegiance. And they have gone extinct just 10 years ago. Words flew fast, telling them that a young necromancer killed them all.

It was him ofcourse.

She understands his part in the resistance but he will not be a part of her team. Her team is rooted on power and honesty. On her leadership and the belief that the team is a unit. She learned that from the covenant, it was the best thing she learned really. Ironically, she broke that value.

“ i don’t like him at all.” Tiffanu huffed as theu waited outside the door.

Mir agreed, “ gives me the creeps as well, but we need him and im impressed. Those dolls look real,”

“ they are real people, okay?” Tiffany snapped and she chanced a glance at hyuna who did not seem affected at all.

“ i don’t trust him either, but you have to admit, we’ve been reading about it since we were young, atleast i was. You can;t blame me to be a bit amazed .” hyuna explained. They stopped talking as the door opened only to reveal Z.

“ Ready for las vegas kids?”

Mir jumped in triumph and beamed. “ im feeling good about this already! ”

“ we should go to all the hotels, casinos,shop-” hyuna trailed on but tiffany cut in.

“ for the nth time, we are not going there for a vacation, we have a mission. You should be like G.O, researching on JYP.”

“ I don’t need research to know that he’s a self-righteous prick.” Mir jeered.

“ break it kids,” Z exclaimed. “ You can have fun for all i care, but you have to do the mission. Heechul will be there with you and i gave him specific orders. You lot should help him and keep them all out of the cure. ”

“ i don’t like black markets.” Hyuna pouted.

“ I know, its a dodgy place- but you have to. Its the only place where we can get it.” Z said finally and looked at the three of them. They are young, but not as young to qualify for this mission. As long as you have the power, it doesn’t matter what your age is. You have to be prepared or they will kill you.

“ tiffany, i know you don’t like heechul, but he is at our side. He is your brother now.”

Tiffany can only nod her head and busy herself looking at notes and staring at the ticket she is holding. They all leave the premises and decide to go their own ways. But tiffany has to talk to heechul, sadly. She needs to assure that he will do the favor for Taemin.

The boy must go to their side.

He must betray them all. With a confident smile on her lips, she sets off.

Key’s POV.

Opening my eyes, i am greeted with a soft hue of blue and as i look at the sheets im grasping, its a stark white shade. My mouth seemed to be filled with cobwebs and my eyes are droopy. This was going to be a long day. I don’t want to wake up, really. But something is inside my head. Something im forgetting. Then it dawns on me.

“ vegas!” i half-screamed. After the embarassment i took last night, atleast- something good is coming my way right now. I am starving but i cannot will myself to go down, im sure onew will there. Onew and his prefect smile and teeth. Onew and his good heart and kind nature. His perfect hair the morning, perfectly tousled unlike some of us humans. I can almost hear him cooking downstairs or maybe eating a healthy breakfast yet not getting fat.

Its unfair. Really?

Did god really design us all to be little -ups that fall for people who are no good for us? Is there some kind of glitch in our system that lets us function this way. If it is. I want to switch it off.

The light from the curtain is peeking in and i know i should get up for i have to get my things from the dorms and meet up with all of them at the airport in the afternoon. Not to mention leeteuk will see us off. I have to talk to him before i go.

Willing myself to stand up, i finally did and headed to splash my face with water and brush my teeth. Surprisingly, someone left a new one for me to use. Does onew have a butler in here or something?

“ you’re up, ” I hear him say as he spots me making my way towards him on the dining hall. I swear this dining area is killing my appetite. All pristine chairs and glass tables- goblets that might cost more than my dorm rent. But onew looks effortless. The git. I wonder how i shifted from becoming shy and scared if him to being angry.

Was this denial?

Well, its better than being a blabbering git infront of him.

“ yeah. I slept in. I think. Sorry, ” there it is again, why is speech failing me? I mean he’s not that good looking. I chance a glance at him and look at him eating. I rest my case, he is good looking. Atleast to me.

“ its okay, you must be tired. Plus, you need all the rest you can get. I doubt we’ll be sleeping much in vegas. ”

“ you going on casinos and strippers?” i tell him jokingly and i wanted to kick myself for such a lame response.

“ well, that would be jonghyun and i might as well tag along, ” he stops and hands me a basket of bread. “ i don’t trust JYP. He is a friend of my father,” he stops once again, im afraid he will choke when he spoke of his father .we haven’t even talked about that yet . I think, he does not talk about it. I mean, what will happen if we did? His father is not dead. His father is leading the resistance. Its like, we all resolved to just look down on him in pity and close our eyes. Turn away. “ as i was saying, i don’t trust the man. He knows too much, and people like that tend to switch sides easily. Whoever pays up,” he says.

“ leeteuk and the covenant seems to trust him.” I offered.

“ he is their only choice. But we have to find another way, TOP and GD are looking for more information about the cure. ”
I nod at him and suddenly, i want t osay something witty. Its hard to be this useless to all of them. My powers are crucial, they tell me. But i haven’t seen its true potential. I have practiced before and how i wish i can help them. That i can be a key player.

“ i hope they can, but till then- i guess we’re stuck with that jyp dude. He can;t be that bad.” I tell him, trying to lift up his mood.

“ we have no choice, really. But we can use his money and connection to get the cure.” He voices out.

“ i’ve never been to a black market.” That was an idiotic thing to say. “ i mean, i don’t know what to do there, i hope we get the bid.”

“ i think there is more to it than money. Something as powerful as that? I will be surprised if its being pursued right now. We should just steal it.”

I turn to look at him, surprised. Lee Jinki? Onew? Stealing?

“ im sorry, you might not understand, Key- that thing is powerful. Not all of us have that kind of money to give away. Some can just take it by force. And even if we can get hold of it legally, others will take it by force.”

“ like the resistance?” i quip and finished my breakfast.

“ how is taemin?” he suddenly asks as we both stand up, probably thinking the same thing. He should come with me to the dorm and to their apartment fast. Or, we will be late in meeting leeteuk.

“ he’s fine- i think, the healing with yoogeun is going well.”

“ minho looks fine to me, so i guess they are alright as well.”

I fight the urge to roll my eyes, are we suppose to talk about the love life of other people now? Are we? But i stop it and just stare at him.

“ about his condition,” i start. I must not forget that this is important. Taemin could die any time soon, especially if taeyeon’s sould starts to consume him. “ i don’t want him to die.” I finally say.

“ same as me Key, i don’t want him to die either. A seer is a big help, but we can do it on our own and taeyeon-” he stops talking and he pulls the door open for me as he continues to speak. “i can’t believe she did that. I understand her intentions but it was not something a member of the covenant would do.”

I shrug. What do we do now? It was like we are going on this journey empty-handed. Without any clue of what will happen to us next and what we should do. Problems keep on coming but the solutions are far from our grasp.

“ we’re going to do this. ”i blurt out without thinking. He looks at me and gives me a smile.

“ we will. Yes, ”

I stop and he turns to face me, “im sorry , if i keep pushing you about my past. I know i am in no place to ask this from you, its not your fault i got into an accident. ” i breathe deeply and notice the concern in his eyes.

“but i want to know, i really do. Even if its bad, i still do. If it hurts, i will remember. It will be worth it. If this thing is not with me, if this memory is not with me- i feel like i can’t move on.”
I wait for his response and wait for him to bolt and leave me alone. I wait for him to snap at me and even shout at me for whining.

“ i understand, but my decision still stands. You should let go.” He says finally and i want to scream at him. Curse him and demand that he grant my clearance. Tell him that i know he’s my secret keepet. But i keep my mouth shut. I have to do things slowly. For all i know, there are other ways.

We make our way to the University dorms and their apartment and I look at the window. Refusing to talk to him. But the silence is more uncomfortable than talking about nonsense.

“ do you believe in time travel?” i suddenly ask. Its been on my head for sometime now. What if i meet a time traveller? Someone who will take me back? Jonghyun came in mind at first. But he told me he can only halt time. And the thought that time is altered can mess up everything. I notice Onew grip the steering wheel.

“ time travel is dangerous.” He states, but i argue.

“ its interesting really, who doesn’t want to go back in tim right?”

Silence once moer and onew speaks up, finally.

“ i know someone who went back in time to change things. ”

I am surprised at this admission. This explains his strange behavior awhile ago.

“what happened?”

“ he died. I don’t know if he did what he was supposed to, but i doubt it. The one he wanted to save was so torn apart . yes, he was alive and well physically, but if you look closely. He is dying. Dying slowly.” His eyes are far off as he tells this story.

“that’s tragic. I think. ”

“ it is, but i guess that’s what happens when you try and change the past. You cannot meddle with time. You just don’t.” He says in distaste and i keep my mouth shut. But i have to ask once more. Its nagging inside my head and i have to ask. Just once.

“why did we kiss-” i say slowly, “before.”

He does not look at me but i know he heard me. He understood and he still wonuldn’t answer me. As much as this frustrates me, i keep my mouth shut. I will wait for his answer. I will wait for him to be ready and tell me everything.

I close my eyes and try to sleep.

This ride will be longer than i thought.

Arriving at the ariport, Onew remained silent. He said a few hellos and asked some questions for the trip but he remained on his own. He could feel their concern, and even Jino who seems to have forgiven him is now seated right next to him.

“ oh, this chocolate is good! Try some! ” he hands him one and pleads that he take it. He wants to be there for his friend but it was too hard when your friend is immortal and you just don’t know what else to give.

“thanks,” onew replies and starts to open it. He really wants to enjoy and spend time with his friends. His brothers. But everything is weighing him down. Nothing is going in his favor.

“ look, let’s try to enjoy this yeah?” Jino smiles at him, giving him all the chocolates he brought. It was a childish thing to do really, but he hoped that this will show some sort of ‘help’ no matter how small it was. “i know this is serious, i really do. We have gone to missions before, but this is different. We cannot screw up. But we are here for you, ”

Onew looks up at him and nods, as if telling him that he understood.

“ oy! A dramatic moment without me?! ” jonghyun barged in and hugged onew till he was almost out of hsi seat.

“ yah! Jonghyun! Get off!” he screamed but his face had no trace of irritation but fondness.

“ so,you two are okay now? Good! I can’t have my wingmen all moody and when i go to vegas.” He exclaims.

“ im teling minah you said that,” Minho cuts in as he shakes onew’s hand, like this moment is something he should be proud of. Well, he should. His team is back together, his family is back together. It was an unspoken battle between the four of them, after what happened the night. No one wanted to say anything and each of them were to busy to even talk to each other. Or maybe, they thought that talking will be too painful.

“ its vegas! ” jonghyun whined, trying to look like he does not care.

“ we’re okay now? Are we?” minho stated and all of them nodded their head.

“ im sorry i was such an idiot, don’t worry, we will get this cure and kick their .” Jino says playfully.

“ i know we will, ” TOP suddenly came into their little circle.

“ yah! Hyung! You are not supposed to be in this drama scene! We are the main actors and you’re like a director- ” jonghyun explains and they all laugh.

“ i was afraid you lot will not talk to each other or stop being a team, good thing you did this before we fly to vegas. I need my team. ” TOP said casually.

“awww! Look! TOP is going emotional as well. ” Onew finally teased and laughter emanated from them. GD walks over to them, signalling that leeteuk is here and they should all look like they are brooding, planning, scheming.

“ Good day to all. I see you are all in a good mood.” He greets the 8 of them and they all huddle close, resembling a basketball team just before a game.

“ i’ve talked to JYP, he will meet you at his hotel and from there , he will give you the details personally. I want you all tobe vigilant. The auction is in two days, there are many things that could happen. We cannot let anyone steal it from us, ” Leeteuk says forcefully and they all agree. A few more pointers and explanations before they all went off on their own but Key remained, wanting to talk to Leeteuk .

“ Uh, i have something to ask.” Key finally speaks just ebfore leeteuk decides to leave.

“ anything,”

“ is there any other way for me to see my file. You see, onew is - ”

“He is not cooperating.“ he finishes the sentence. He knows it will be impossible for onew to grant him access. The man had his honor and the past key was the one who asked for his memory to be erased. He suspects a bit more personal reason for the choice but he does not want to meddle anymore. He wants Key to remember, really. He wants to know what happened, what the future onew said. Oh yes, he knows about the future onew. And about the time traveller. His thoughts drift fast and the next moment, he catches Key talking to him ,

“ i understand his side, but i changed my mind. Its my life, its who i am, he cannot take it away from me. ”

Leeteuk sighed, “there is nothing i can do Key, he is your only hope. But when you come back, i will try and talk to him. I will try and do what i can with the council so we can look at your past.” He promises and Key feels a whole lot better.

“ thanks.”

He heads towards his friends who are heading for the plane but jonghyun slows down to let him catch up.

“ don’t trust that guy, he may be a descendant of angels but he acts nowhere near that of an angel. ” He explains. The man is fascinating, as far as jonghyun is concerned. But its hard and nearly impossible to replace someone like eric or the professor. He does not like Leeteuk’s mind. That guy schemes too much. Like all of this is one grand game that he should win.

“ I know you don’t trust him, but i do. In a weird way,” key responds.

“ look, do you even know anything about this guy? His history? ” he retorts.

“ I know that he is a descendant of an angel and a human. Its pretty unbelievable to me you know? But i was told before i met him.” Key huffed as he passed the security. “and besides, after all i have seen. All those people in the covenant, nothing surprises me anymore.”

Jonghyun rolled his eyes. This Key is vulnerable right now, he does not remember the resistance and how they captured him. What they did to him. He will be changing his mind.

“ just- he’s not really an organic kind of descendant.” Jonghyun winced at his choice of words. “ i mean, Leeteuk is a product of an experiment. A human who wanted to prolong the powers of angels. So- ”

“ shut up, if this is some joke about leeteuk being a test tube science baby-” key cut him off and jonghyun stared at him.


“ oh . so he is? ” key stared at him, wide-eyed.

“ its more of a, its a project of the covenant, really. And he was chosen, leeteuk was a son of someone from the covenant and she volunteered herself. So. Yeah. He’s one of those who lived in the castle- in constant watch. He is the greates project of the covenant, if you ask me.” Jonghyun replied and they both fell silent. Busying themselves with finding their seats.

Thankfully, Key is seated right next to Taemin.
“ hey stranger! ” Taemin calls out to him and he smiles. She should really stop spacing out and thinking about other things when he should eb here in the represent. Admittedly, its a bit weird to know that Leeteuk is a product of an experiment. He is not an idiot, he knows that is perfectly legal. But to fuse your own with a dna of an angel? Where did they even get that? Why is he the only one in existence? Is there more? H eturns to look at jonghyun who was now talking to onew about some new album he bought and should try to listen.

“ look who’s talking, ” he answers back and plops himself right next to taemin.

“ so , did you get to talk to him?” key’s face falls and taemin looks apologetic, “i’ll take that as a NO. ”

“ its complicated, really and then i remember all these stuff. ” he throws his hands up in frustration and in mock surrender. “ i just hope this vegas trip can help me.”

“ me too.” Taemin whispers. Vegas. He remembers tiffany’s phone call ‘i will get you in vegas’ was the message. The decision is coming and there is a nagging feeling that he will choose the selfish way out. who could blame him? Closing his eyes, he remembers the warmth. The feeling that he can do anything. The way he feels when he dances. Can he take it back?

“ hey! Are you okay?” key suddenly snaps him back to the present.

“ yeah. I just need to rest. I think. ”


Key’s POV.

This is las vegas.

I can’t help but grin as i see the luxury cars driving by beside us and the limos that don’t look out of place. People taking pictures literally everywhere. All those flashing lights that makes me want to keep my eyes open for the rest of the night. Hotels that tower over me. Fountains that seem to have a life of its own and finally, the energy that the city gives away. Maybe this place can uplift my mood. We stop at a hotel and i look up to read its name “ Four seasons”. I’ve read about it and i almost bounced outside as we head towards the skyscraper.

“ vegas baby! ” Jonghyun shouted but no one turned their heads. It was expected really, random people shouting. Screaming their lungs out once they step in vegas.

“ he’s here- ” i hear TOP say and i look up to see the one he is talking about.

JYP. I can say that he is the same age as the professor. His flashy red suit and the two women holding his hands are just prrof of why the people in the covenant hate him. He greets us with a warm welcome and proceeds to hug everyone even me.

“ yah! The empath! Can you make me feel happy now??” I want to punch him in the face for trying to exploit me, but i guess he is just giddy to find someone like me. I just smile and thankfully, onew steps in.

“ we need to talk now, we don’t have much time till the auction,”

“always on business onew,” JYP replies and we are lead to our room.

“ this is the life! ” Taemin says dreamily but i can see how pale he is right now.

“ it is! I think we’ll enjoy this jonghyun said we will be going out tonight, for the auction happens tomorrow.” I say to him and we are suddenly called by Jino.

“ NO FUN, SERIOUSLY- a meeting? Good thing we will be going out tonight.” He huffed and i stopped the thought of being irritated. This is not a vacation, we are on a mission and we should not waste it. I finally sit down right next to TOP, just so i will feel obliged to listen.

“ i will cut to the chase cause i am a busy man,” JYP starts. “ the auction will be tomorrow night and there are alot of people who wants this cure. Good and bad- i mean, who knows?” he hands TOP a cigar but he refuses, i say no as well. “ this cure will rid the world of ordinary people, no more humans, everyone will have powers. It will be the rise of the supreme race. Personally, that’s just boring. ”

“ how much can you give us?” GD snaps,

“ eager are we? ” jyp chuckles. “ sky is the limit, we have to get that. Im not really good news to the covenant, but a world filled with people like us will be boring. Wouldn’t you agree?”

“who will we go against?” i find myself asking.

“oh, alot. The resistance’s team is here you know, i think i saw tiffany-” I shuddered at the thought, i don’t know why though. I haven’t even met her. Or have i? Before? I think about asking that question to taemin later.

“ and don’t you know? They have a necromancer with them.” He says nonchalantly and i see taemin visibly stiffen.

“ that’s crazy!” jonghyun exclaims but as i look at TOP and GD, i see it in their faces that they know about this news as well.

“ i didn’t know the legends were true,” was the only answer onew gave.

More words. More words but my mind was not in it, i can feel someone looking at me, from outside the window. I can feel the emotions, ‘anticipation, fear and despair’. I move to stand up and look out but i don’t see anyone else. I squint, trying to see but no one is there.

“ are you alright?” I turn around only to see onew, looking straight at me. Those honest brown eyes. I have to gain control of myself or else i will be spewing love declaration and pleas anytime soon.

“ yeah. Just tired. ”

“ get back to our rooms, GD and I will go over the plan with JYP. ”

We get out like little kids and I find Taemin on the bed. I didn’t even notice him slip away that quickly. He seems to be having a headache.

“ do you need medicine? I brought some? ” I panic and rummage through my bag as i find a bottle of pills. As i go to him, i see him, deathly pale and his eyes are bloodshot.

“taemin! Omg! Wake up! ” i shake him awake, trying violently to nap him back and i hear someone come in. Minho.

“ he is having a vision?”

I look at him and almost kicked myself for forgetting this. Ofcourse he gets like this when a vision suddenly plagues him. I breathe deeply and suddenly, he is okay.

“water,” he croaks out and i rush to find a bottle and hand it to him.

“what did you see?” Minho cradles him and i almost cry at that moment. Seeing them like this is too much.

“we were at a casino, we were having fun. I can hear you laugh, i can smell the champagne, then a gunshot. Someone will get shot. ” he says in a shaky voice and i stand there, dumbfounded.

“ take care of him, i will inform the others about this,” Minho quickly says, “ i will be back for you.” He kisses taemin’s forehead and the git smiles at that. As he leaves, i frown at him.

“ im sorry i panicked, i should handle this better than what i did. ”

“don’t worry, im fine. I just need some sleep and i will be good as new for tonight. I must be there to know who gets shot,” he tells me and pulls his covers up.

I should keep my eyes open.


Onew’s POV

Its 10pm and i have no idea why im dressed like this and ushered downstairs. Perhaps its because jonghyun threatened me that he will pass out and be kidnapped i i don’t keep an eye on him. All i really want to do is think, relax and do more research, but even TOP kicked me out. scanning the crowd, i spot them all easily. Jonghyun and Jino are trying their luck on a blackjack table . GD and TOP re talking to people i recognize as JYP’s associates. Taemin is nowhere to be found and minho is nursing a glass of wine. JYP on the other hand is seated on one of the tables and conversing with a foreigner, probably an investor.

Then my eyes lay on him. Key is talking to this guy, laughing with this guy. He is built like hi, with cheeks that some women may find endearing. He looks friendly enough. I hear them talking and i have the sudden urge to walk over to them.

What’s wrong?

Im just concerned.

“ Hi! ” i greet them and the man narrows his eyes on me.

“ oh, this is onew hyung, ” Key introduces me and i move to shake hands with him but he just nods and smiles.

“ Key tells me you are here for a mission, ”

He quickly says and Key tensed, I on the other hand am very intent to smack Key. How can he be so carless? Before i can do something, Key quickly defends himself,

“ he is like us! He told me-”

The stranger cuts in, “ im woohyun and im a shapeshifter,” he says this and as much as i find this fascinating i hate that Key can divulge our secret this easy. We cannot trust anyone.

“ that’s irrelevant, forgot we met each other. ” i seethed. If this was a normal day, i would have talked to this man. Probably invited him to join the covenant, done a background check. Although he looks to be the same race as us, i cannot take any chances. He can be a spy, no one. No one can be trusted.

“ are you always this pleasant? ” he asks me and key nudges him.

“ and are you always this open to people? Telling random strangers that you have powers?” I counter.

“ stop it, he told me he was from the covenant, he knew the covenant and he saw me there before,” key explained.

“ well, you said it, now shove off.” I spat at him and i made sure i moved forward, slightly pushing him away.

Key looked at me and bowed his head towards the stranger, woohyun- but the latter would not budge.

“ we were having fun in here before you came, maybe you should be the one going. ” This man is really testing me and my instinct to protect key is kicking in.

“ No. Its okay, i really have to go,” Key excused himself, trying to prevent more conflict. “ i will see you, you have my number. ” he smiles and the man leaves, saying goodbye and smirking at me. He even had the nerve to kiss Key on the cheeck. He’s lucky i don’t have a gun with me or he’ll be dead before he can even say the word GOODBYE.

His departure cleared athe air and i turned around, making my way towards minho but Key is closely following me.

“what the hell was that?” he calls me out in the midst of the noisy environment and i looked at him, stopping completely.

“ the hell was what?” i asked, confused.

“ that thing! I was having fun for sake, just talking to someone- cause this is vegas,” he started to rant and i have the inkling that this is his time to explode and scream at me, so i let him. “ then lo and behold, he has powers too! ”

“a shapeshifter, you don’t even know if that face he has is his,” i stated, and that seemed to infuriate him more.

“ see? You’re! ” he stops and stares at me,

“ come on let’s go over to minho he-”

“ NO. STOP THAT! STOP ACTING LIKE YOU CARE ABOUT ME!” His voice rises and i see jonghyun walking over to us.

“ i do, you are a part of this team, you should not be talking to other people that may harm the mission.”

“ i think i can decide who the threat is on my own, thank you very much.” He replies and glares at me.

“ i find that hard to believe.” I counter and he stops. I think he is gaining control of his self.

“ just, please, stay away from me, i was having fun, he’s a nice guy.” He tells me this and im irritated by the sudden calm in his eyes. He really is vulnerable, a few minutes with a stranger and he is inlove? I know he fell for the “future” me before, and he does not even remember that. But this, this is making me feel uneasy. This is not good.

“ start using your brain and not you heart on this one- ” i advice him and he seems to accept that.

“ Please stop it, you can care all you want when we are on a mission or what, but this is my personal life.”

I want to say something, reason out- but he clearly has his mind closed so i shut up and accept it.

“ whatever you say, just don’t fall into traps.”

I say to him and remember the times he got caught in traps. He is too trusting, too pure of a person to be in this world. And im all the more firm in my opinion that its better for him to forget.

As i pace towards Minho i feel someone eyeing me. Years of training made me aware of things like this. Am i a target? I survey the place and couldn’t point a finger on the one who is looking at me. But i no longer have to look further as loud shot permeated the entire chaos of the room.

A loud bang.

I remember minho’s voice earlier as he told me Taemin’s vision,

Crouching down, i surveyed the room to find the perpetrator but the screams from the guests were too much. Key is suddenly on my side.

“ its Taemin’s vision, are you alright?”

He asks but my eyes are trained somewhere. There, in the farthest table, littered with shattered glass and stains – shot and bloodied was the body of JYP.

The screaming won’t stop.