{1/8}

HEROES

I find myself in a cold and enclosed atmosphere. NO. NO. Too morbid. I am in Hawaii, Yes. That vacation I had with my father two summers ago. The gorgeous waves of the water, tropical flowers and the warmth just feels so right. I am sipping that pineapple juice- ice cold. Girl are dancing the hoola. My father is motioning for me to come join him, for surfing lessons. I try to back out, but his smile just made me come closer and try. The water is washing over me and I love the feel of it. My body starts to relax. 

This is the only way I can escape for now, I need calm in my head and in my heart. As much as I am used to feeling too much and closing myself- today is becoming unbearable. With all the students’ nerves for their prelim exams, couples breaking up, emo kids, depressive professors and over achievers. They affect me to a certain degree that I find it hard to open my eyes. I just want complete silence. For once, I want to guess what someone is feeling. For once, I want to be insensitive to everyone around me . But maybe, that is just some pipe dream for me. 

“ I swear, one more essay from this class and I will vomit blood.” Taemin pounded his head against the bathroom tiles as I tried my best to not imitate his mood. I know its weird, but I am affected with a person’s feelings.especially if they are really strong. More importantly, if I am close to the person. Taemin looks at me and raises his eyebrow. 

“ tell me im not the only one dying from that art professor?”

I nod. But the truth is, its perfectly fine. I enjoy doing schoolwork and this is a UNIVERSITY- not spring break party. Professors are supposed to make us suffer. Or it can also be because I love the feeling of accomplishment a professor gives off whenever he hears students groan because of school work. 

“ don’t worry, we will help each other- Jiyeon agreed to a study group later.” Taemin’s eyes lit up. He knows as well as I do that Jiyeon is an A student. She will be able to help us catch up with other subjects as we are falling behind from all the work. 

Shaking my head, I try to calm down. This are just general education subjects, I will be roasted alive once I go into my psychology major.

“ LIFE SAVER! I can finally catch up, im behind on reading for our literature class you know. ”

“ Haven’t finished reading frankenstein too.” I sighed. 

Making our way to the Library, the emotions did not bother me as much. My walls are up right now. No one can come through. Realizing that I was sort of an empath as soon as I was 18 was really alarming. But now, it comes in handy sometimes. My aunt always told me that this is a gift and that one day, I will be able to put it to good use. 

“ Jiyeon!” Pushing her eyeglasses up her nostrils, she greets me and taemin and motions for us to sit down. Wordlessly, she opens up her notes and my heart fell. Was I so behind the lectures? This is like a thousand pages! Okay, im over acting, just a little over 40 and 50 pages max of notes. Leafing through it, I sense the frustration from taemin and I hold his hands. 

“ I will copy half, you do the other half then we photocopy it.”

Taemin grins at me. 

“ Thank you key! We can do this, then you can read frankenstein and i will finish reading those pages for art. We can discuss it after” 
I feel him relax again, he just needs confirmation that this can be done. He is pretty smart and hardworking, maybe that’s why I was drawn to him and we became fast friends. Even room mates. 

“ This will be a long night”

Jiyeon coughs and she starts to explain what did we miss and what should we study first. Jiyeon is a neighborhood kid back in high school, so its an unspoken rule that she should help her fellow out. Taemin listens closely as my mind wanders again. 

So why the hell are we so back in the lectures? 

Perhaps you’re thinking that we are slacking off or we are just completely uninterested. But the truth is, me and Taemin are rather occupied with other things. For one, Taemin is an active member of the Dance Company in the university (which also allowed him to get a scholarship). As for me, I Aspire to be a member of the student council. I am now one of the freshmen representatives. I guess you could say that we caught up with all of the extra curricular. But whatever. I refuse to be drowned in schoolwork. Then again, gazing at how far behind i have to study and the schoolwork i have to finish by the weekend. And the prelims. ARRGHHHHH. I shut my eyes and try to focus my eyes on something else. 

That is the first time I see him. 

He is not doing anything out of the ordinary, but something in him , the way he flipped the pages of his book that struck a chord in my body. Why have I never seen him before? I am the freshmen representative! I should know all the freshmen in this University. Maybe he is a sophomore, or a junior? WORST. A senior. Brown hair, almost sharp jaw, paper like skin. All these adjectives are running in my head. He is alone too. Then he catches me. 

His head snaps up to me and he holds my gaze. Soft brown eyes too. And he quickyl looks away. Then i realize something, I can’t feel him. Try again. Walls down.

Taemin is calm and confused, listening to Jiyeon’s explanation. 

Jiyeon is proud of herself, she always feels like this when she explains school work. 

The couple behind me is obviously fighting, i feel the rage. 

The librarian is irritated. 

A couple of people around me are a mixture of tired, sad, hopeless.

I concentrate to him. I stare at him. Nothing. Apathy? Now this is something new. How can this be? 

“ Key, Jiyeon is saying too much, start listening now, I might forget some.” Taemin nudged me and I faced Jiyeon. She is now talking about some mathematics but I can’t get my head off that guy. Why can’t I feel him?was he just not- feeling anything? But that’s impossible. No calm. Even static. Nothing. Impossible. 

After a few more minutes, Jiyeon finishes and i quickly chance a glance in his way. He is gone. 

“ . ” I curse and taemin towards me. “ nothing. ” I mouth. 
//


10 PM. Closing time of the library. Taemin is now gone, he retired at around 8pm telling me that the library made him sleepy. No one is here but me and some random students. They are already getting up, unlike me. I ams till fixing my stuff. 

“wait! Wait! Still fixing my books!”

I called up to no one in particular, just to make sure that someone knew there is still someone inside. I wouldn’t want to be stranded in here. Tucking the last book in my bag, I hear it. Something fell, its not a book, a loud thud. A person? Then I hear someone call for help. 
A girl. 

“is anyone there?” How stupid of me to venture inside without calling the librarian or university police. But what if this girl fell from trying to get a book using a ladder. That seems to be it. I sense pain and desperation. 

“ miss? Are you okay?” I call in the shadows, and before I could even step one more, before i can even move. I felt it, anger. Satisfaction. What the hell? 

“ who are you?!” I called out, making my best impression of intimidating but i fail. I almost heard my voice quiver. 

Then a figure materializes. A man. He is tall and lean, I think i have met him once. A senior. His eyes are the usual, piercing. Choi Seunghyun. Yes, he was one of the council members in this university. 

“ everything okay?” I croak out. 

“ leave now kid .” he commanded and I am immediately pissed. Kid? Who does he think he’s talking too? I may not look like him or be as strong as him. But im no kid. 

“I heard a girl call for help, how about you let me walk over there” I can’t believe the confidence in my voice. The hurt is still there, and its definitely not from Seunghyun. 

“ You don’t know anything about this. Go now, the library is closing.”

“ why don’t we go out together sunbaenim? You won’t want to be stranded here” I challenged. 

He steps closer to me and hisses. “ don’t test me kid, i told you to leave. ” A loud sound startles me as a desk moves and crashes to a wall.I look around but no one pushed it, did it move by itself? Where the hell is the librarian? Or even the student volunteers in here? Did everyone just decide to forsake me? My mind races and I know i should walk away. Then I hear it again, 

“ HELP!” 

There, the girl. 

“ move!” 

Gathering my power, I shove him out of the way and I ran towards the bookshelves. There she is, i do not know her personally. But she is obviously hurt, her hands are cuffed and her skin is pale. With that is dry, i could have sworn she didn’t drink for 48 hours. I thought, i will find a girl who is about to be . Maybe even beaten. This are things I see when relationships go sour, but this? Its like she’s been held captive in a basement for months and only been let out now. 

“ can you stand up?” I ask her but my arm is caught, Seunghyun is here again. He pushes me back the shelf and books started to topple. Crashing towards me. 

“damn.” 

He is awfully quick. Seeing him, I know that he is strong, but this is almost inhuman. 

“ run way from here kid, you don’t what this is.” He says seriously. I feel him, he is calm. Almost pleading me to believe him. 

“ that girl – she’s not okay- she’s clearly dehydrated, we need to get her to the clinic.” 

He chuckles, 

“ water, she does not need water. Thats the least of her worries. ”

The girl is now changing her emotions, she is angry. Vengeful. What is happening? 

“I cannot leave, my conscience won’t rest till- --“ 

I never got to finish my sentence. The next thing that happened was almost unbelievable. Seungyun is just standing infront of me then the girl- the ‘dehydrated’ girl jumped me. Literally, she stood up and jumped towards me. I screamed and I felt panic run through me. Her hand held my forehead and I felt wasted.

Draining. She is draining me. It sounds impossible but true, Its like she is sipping on my energy to quench her thirst. As soon as she started it ended. She is sent flying to the ceiling, Seunghyun’s arms are motioned upwards. Like she is holding her up. 
Okay. A girl who drains energy. Choi seunghyun is moving objects. I seriously need to wake up from this dream. But no, this is true. 

“ get out now ! you moron! I told you to run!” Seunghyun commanded me and I ran as fast as I could. I am going to die. I am going to die. I am going to die. I seriously felt this way. I should have given up and went with Taemin back to the dorms. But what? I had to stay here. Cause I hoped that the man i saw earlier will come back. Brown hair, Brown eyes- Mister Brown. Why the am I thinking of codenames right now? I can still hear a girl screaming. 

She seriously looked like she wanted to kill me. 

And Seunghyun, I knew he was something the first time i met him at the council meeting. The air of authority he had when he first walked in. How everyone listened to him when he talked. How the girls swooned, how the boys respected him. 

But Telekenisis? 

Then everything went silent. The lights at the the study area where I currently all closed. Pitch black. 

“ hell no.” I Hissed under my breath. 

I could feel mixed emotions and because my own is too much as well, I find it hard to concentrate. Maybe i should just wait for someone to attack me, then- i will react. 

“ don’t move.”

I froze, a hand runs to my waist and swiftly pulls me. His scent is that of vanilla and something else wonderful that i don’t remember. He pulls me and i comply, not even knowing who he is. But I move with him. We stop at one point, I guess this is just right infront of the entrance. 

“ stay here, JINO! ” He calls out and i can see light, a flash light! I almost screamed in joy. Now I can see, somewhat. ‘Jino’ smiles at me and shines a light on my face. 

“good ! you’re alive! ” he exclaims cheerfully, then the light moves to the person behind me. My knees attempted to give out as I see who is holding my hands. 

Him. Mister BROWN. Alone in the library, blank feelings. 

He lets go of my hand and cusses at Jino, I on the other hand- im rendered speechless. 
“ TOP is inside with Tiffany, I should have known!” he says, a tone of dissapointment in his tone. But i can’t really tell, I can’t read his emotions. 

“ Are we going in? Jonghyun is not here and Minho said he is on his way- we should wait.”

“ No time- TOP needs our help. Someone will get tiffany”

They are talking as if im not here. And it irks me, I know that i may be an outsider to these- i don’t even know what to call them. 

“ what the hell is going on?” I shout and they both turn to me. Jino comes towards me and laces our arms together. 

“ don’t worry Human- I mean,” he looks at my school id. “ Kim Kibum, OH! KEY! I know you! You’re that council kid, ”

“ JINO – PLEASE, LET’S GO! ” Mister Brown commanded and Jino tells me to wait and don’t be such a fool. 

They leave me alone again, in the dark. I dared not to move an inch but i hear more sounds. Screams, loud noises, things falling off. Why can’t anyone hear us? Then i remember, I have my phone in my pocket. STUPID. Fishing it out, I tried to call taemin. Placing my ear towards the phone, something- someone gripped me tightly on my neck. 

“ don’t move kid or i’ll snap your neck.” Its the girl. 

“ tiffany, leave him alone, he is innocent. ” Mister brown is now here. I do not know when, but Jino is also there with the lights and seunghyun. Seunghyun is bleeding, in his arm and his left eyebrow is cut.

“ then leave me alone! I haven’t done anything. Yet. ”

“ you swore to the oath.” Seunghyun piped in but the girl seems ufazed. 

“ let him go Tiffany, ” Mister brown commands forcefully and the girl laughs. 

“ why are you so over protective? Is he your toy?” 

I grit my teeth. I cannot be this powerless, Even if I do not know who these people are. Aside from the fact that they are complete weirdos who can kill me. I cannot be the victim, i am not that bait in this scenario. I can protect myself, with one jolt of my adrenaline i i grabbed her hand and nudged her forcefully by my elbow. I may have stomped my feet on her foot too. Anything, just to get off her and I did. But she is recovered fast. My body went cold as I see her bring out a knife, no, more like a in sword. Where the hell did this come from? 
I close my eyes, anticipating the pain. And nothing. 

“ Onew! ”

Its the first time I hear his name. Im pretty sure Jino was the one who called him out. My eyes fluttered open and there he is. What seemed like seconds to me may have been minutes for them. Seunghyun had the girl by the neck. Jino held me and Mister brown, Onew- is infront of me. He looks at me and smirks. 

“ i told you not to move, didn’t I? ” Then he coughs up blood. He is stabbed. My whole body is shaking as I realize what is happening. He shielded me from the attack. He is dying. NO. NO. NO. 

“ Get him out! ” Seunghyun shouted and Jino jerked my hand away from cradling Onew and i try to be freed. But this fragile looking kid is strong. 

“ stop! Let me go! ONEW! NOOO! ” I say this over and over again but Jino jusy keeps pulling me, he left the light and in the darkness we ran. I cannot help but cry like ing kid who fell on the floor. How can this be happening? He can't be dead because of me. Why did he have to save me like that? He does not even know me. Jino tugs my arm relentlessly  and we exit into the school grounds. its Empty. 

“ . They’re here.” Jino pulls off his coat and throws it into the bushes. 

“ who? ”

I don’t have to ask . I feel it too. The hunger, thirst- pure violence. About two or three of them. We are in danger once more and I don’t know how to escape. I felt the urge to go back and get Onew, he is helpless if ever these people catch them there. before i start protesting, Jino starts talking again. 

“we have to go, ”

He holds my hand and laces my arms around his neck. 

“what the! ” I complained and he smiles at me again. 

“ if you want to fall off a hundred feet off the ground, you better tigthen your grip.”

I can feel them coming and I do not like the emotions they ar conveying. Are theycoming for onew? But he is seriously injured. As if reading my mind, Jino adds. 

“ don’t worry about Onew, he is a tough one to break.”

Without warning, we fly. Wait. What? Our feet left the ground and we are slowly rising up. At first i can see the top of the tree and we drift further and further away. I try to jerk away from him but his grip is tight. 

“ Jino -” I say this, almost out of breath. 

“ Yes Key, we are flying.  well, technically, its only me that can fly. ”

I look at him, pure horror in my eyes but he chuckles as he looks up the sky and tells me once more. 

“ I am SUPERMAN.”

Someone seriously needs to wake me up.

===============

PLEASE DO COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE.
I want to hear your reactions. :''>
do not be afraid to type up a message.