season ii - ep8

HEROES

 

Episode Eight – Fall of a Hero

Future Onew’s point of view. 

Tonight is the turning point of this war and as much as I want to run to the manor and stop it all- I cannot. I remember, as a kid, I always said that I will be a hero and serve the covenant right. I promised to keep them out of harm’s way because they are my family. But as time went by, I realized that I cannot stop everything from happening. Humans are created for suffering and moreso, people like us, supernatural beings. 
It seemed like the perfect solution, to come back here and change the course of events but something tells me that it will not help at all. Time is a fickle thing to mess with and no mortal should get their hands on it- but, I am immortal. 

The wall infront of me is filled with information from both the covenant and resistance and everything that will happen. Leading up to the apocalypse. My heart clenches at what it all means to us. 
Its so clear, what the apocalypse had done to everyone. 

“ I don’t know how to start over. ”

Those are the words Jonghyun told me after the Apocalypse. How do you start anew? After the covenant was almost ripped apart. The palace, burned to the ground. But the truth about the apocalypse is that- it was not supposed to be bad at all. We just wanted to prevent change. We wanted to stay on our roots and refuse a new era. 

The apocalypse was a promise to all Heroes and Villains. It was a promise of greater power to finally decide who will dominate. 

“ it is supposed to make us stronger Onew. And we can’t have that, we are dangerous as we are and it will shift the mechanics of this earth.”

I remember Eric explain to me at that final moment. After all this time, we were mere puppets by the covenant. Fighting blindly as they wish. But those who are in the highest position knew the truth about the apocalypse. 
Selfishness was our destruction. Refusal of what the fates wanted for us led us to our personal hell. Shaking the morbid thoughts away, I take a look at my self in the mirro and I can still see the gash on my face, The scar has faded very nicely because of Yoogeun’s constant help but when I look at myself- I see a broken man. The scar is not visible but I can still see it with my eyes closed. 

Most of all, who gave it to me.

My heart clenched as I go back to that night and how everything that I knew shifted to being plain lies. Maybe it was wrong for my parents to have me live such sheltered life at a young age. If they didn’t- I wouldn’t have to hope that one day, it will all turn back to how it was. 

Time is ticking and I have to restrain myself for interfering. The apocalypse will happen and I should not run towards them like an idiot and save the day. 

RRINGGGGGGGGGGGG. 

I fish out my phone from my pocket and see that its Key. I ignore it and put it aside. I know what he wants from me. Today is when Luna will propose to me. I know it will break his heart but as I always tell him. Its worth it. 
But in the pit of my stomach, I feel the pain of what is to happen between the two of us. Like me, Key is destined for suffering and our Love- our Love is never too easy. I thought that fate will give this to me and that we will be together. He is the only thing that can keep me alive after the apocalypse but he gave up on me. He gave up on everything. 

I cannot bear lying to him. But I have to bite my tongue and not affect what will happen in the future. 
The plan is in my head and I should just wait. I will come at the right time and do one thing that will change the course of events. I might seize to exist but that does not matter anymore. 

The feeling I have is the same one as when my father died. I feel empty. I feel nothing. 

////////////////////

The streets are busy and people did not mind the light drizzle and noise from the cars that passed by. But Key noticed it, he noticed everything. Its his hobby, people watching. He does thise when he does not have anything to do and when he wants to think- and right now. He seriously need to think. 

“ I plan to propose to him.” His stomach twists at the memory of what Luna said. He understands the bond they share and the urgency behind it. After all, when you realize that the world will end soon- what do you do? Ofcourse- ask your very hot boyfriend to marry you. He groans and tries to push the thought away but it was too important to push aside. 

He dials a number but it keeps getting rejected. 

“ damn you onew, present or future, you still manage to screw me over.” He hissed under his breath and decided to focus on the people walking in the streets. He is jealous of them. How they complain about living mundane lives. As of now, he will gladly change. Its too much. 

He knew what the future onew promised but the present was too heartbreaking to even believe that good things are bound to happen for him. For someone like him, it was hard to imagine that there can be better things. When you suffered too much, it will be very hard to believe that there is something better out there. 

“ Do you miss them?”

A voice startles him and he looks at someone who is now seated beside him. He looks a lot like his age. With orange- brown like hair and a face that was devoid of emotion. Key decides that they might be of the
same age.

“ excuse me?” he his head as he asks the question but the person beside him only answers him with silence and continues to observe the people. 

“you miss them, your family.” He voices out and Key stiffens. Who is this person? 

“ I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he spat out but the stranger continues. 

“ your mother and your one and only brother. Key, where are they?” he finally turns to Key and the latter glares at him intently. Hoping that he is making a good impression of someone that is angry. 

“ you don’t know what you are talking about- my family is okay.” He states but the stranger new better. Mir is particularly proud of himself and of his plan. Well, its not really a plan. A plan consists of strategies and different ways to succeed. A plan has a clear goal. But this one is different. It’s a simple act. More like, public service if you may. 

If it were up to him, every being with a power should be given the choice of what they want to do with this apocalypse. What side are they on. Covenant or resistance- they can have their free will. But the politics of it all are sickening. They are nothing but mere pawns of people who are stronger than them. He gives Key a small smile and he does not return it. 

“ are they really okay Key? ”

He asks and Key could only glare at him too much. He looks at the people again and calms himself. 

“ its none of your business, stranger.”

“ not really a stranger, we are brothers. I am like you.”

Key’s guess has been proven. This stranger is a man of power and he has a strong feeling that he is from the resistance. His aura is the same as those people in the apartment. His emotion on the other hand is too calm for his own good. Almost in the state of meditation. 

“ I doubt that.” Key replies. 

“ tell me, Key, what am I feeling?” he asks innocently.

“ you are too relaxed. No- no- emotion at all. Nothing dominant.” He says in a monotone voice, like he is not at all intrigued about this man. 

“ really? I must say you are very accurate when it comes to your power. You see, I have never felt strong emotions since that time when I was a child.” He relates. He did not expect Key to be this welcoming and easy to talk too. He is even sharing one truth about him. 

Well, its true indeed. After the time that he was separated from his mother- he could no longer feel strong emotions, like he was devoid it. Not too happy and not too sad. No more superlatives. Everything else was just a taste of happiness. He comes back to reality and sets out to do his plan. 

“ how much do you know about the apocalypse?” he finally says and he notices Key’s interest on the subject. 

“ it’s the start of a new era for people like us.” Key responds. 

This startles Mir. Atleast he knew what the apocalypse really stands for. Contrary to urban legend, its not really the destruction of everything and that everyone will burn in hell. What will be destroyed is everything that kept us safe. Leaving us all vulnerable, something that no one wants. 

“ right you are, I gather that you are reading a lot then?”

“ I need to be prepared.” He answers and Key wants to get up now. He is clearly uncomfortable. But the curiosity with what this man will say is eating him. Forcing him to sit down and try to listen. 

“ I don’t think we will ever be prepared for something like the apocalypse. But as for me, it’s the day that ive been waiting for.”

He says with a hint of joy in his words and Key feels sick that someone feels that way. Mir notices this and proceeds to explain. 

“ you see, the apocalypse will enhance our powers. It will make us stronger so we can fight one battle that will decide who will be superior. The covenant or us- the resistance. That girl, her power is strong enough to change the balance of the earth- granting us more power. ” Key tried to digest it all. How can this man know so much about the apocalypse? He read all the books and along with onew, they tried to formulate scenarios. He just sat there, trying his best to give off a calm demeanor but failed miserably. 

“ oh- they don’t tell you this stuff right? They just want you to follow what they want you to. That’s what I hate about the covenant, they keep too many secrets. Some kind of family huh?” he spoke the last words with hate and indifference but key did not catch it. He is too busy thinking of a reply. 

“ you’re lying.” Was ll he could say and mir shrugged. 

“ I might be, but who knows. The apocalypse will give us a chance to change things- how is that a bad thing? ”

“ too much power will consume us.” Key answers and stands up to take his leave. He need to go to the palace and talk to someone. If he was going to fight for something, he needs to know the truth. 

“ I think change is good Kim Kibum. We have lived for centuries under set of rules that we did not have any say about. Tell me, are you tired of being a pawn? Don’t you wish you were just left alone to yourself?”

Mir asked. It was something that he dreamed of. The day when he can go back to his mother (that is, if she is still alive. But hebelieves that she is) and live a normal life. His power was not really something he wanted. If he can take it back, he will gladly give it to anyone who might want it. 

“ it gets tiring, but im not really that smart- or- im stupid to decide on my own. So for the meantime, im relying on these people I don’t even see to show me the way,” key answers truthfully and Mir smiles at him. It was nice talking to this guy. 

“ please think about it, where do you stand in this apocalypse? Do you really want to prevent it?” Mir asks him and Key finaly turns to leave.

“ I cannot give you my answer yet. ” he says and starts to walk away, but Mir calls out. 

“ by the way, my name is Mir.”

Key just raises his hand in recognition and disappears in the crowd of people. 
//

Intimidated by the palace, Key still decides to take a step and enter the quarters. Quite a few people are familiar with him already but he still gets uptight once he enters this room. It was like a big building of responsibility and he thinks that he cannot handle it. 

“is eric here?” he asks Jessica who just happens to pass by. Her eyes narrow as soon as she sees Key. Something tells her that he will only bring bad news. Honestly, she feels quite friendly with him on normal days. But when it comes to business with the covenant, the boy seems like a walking disaster. 

“its you.” She replies with a bright smile. 

“ yeah, so- is eric here?” he asks.

“ what do you want? He’s rather busy, I thought you are coming here to visit minah. ”

Key looks away, guilty. His trips to see minah are cut short because of his fear that he will unknowingly trigger her power. Along with Onew, they decided that he will maintain his distance. 

“not today, I need to talk to eric. ” She tells him that he is in his office. 

“ see if he is free, I doubt that.” She says in a discouraging tone but Key is determined. If he will fight for this cause, he needs to know the truth. 

Making his way towards eric’s office, he is greeted by a handful of people. Thankfully, eric chooses that time to walk out of the palace for a breath of fresh of air. Its taking its tool on him. The honor to serve the covenant in this way is all he wants eversince he was a child but it proves to be killing him slowly. The apocalypse is finally coming their way and they have no clue on how to stop it. 

Should it be stopped? 

He thinks to himself. He knows the truth, on what the apocalypse will bring about to them. The only reason he opposes this is to prevent the looming war. He stops short as he sees Key approaching him. 

“what brings you here?” he asks brightly but Key did not look the least bit happy at all. 

“ I need to know the truth.” 

The tone of his voice tells Eric that this is more than just a casual visit. The first time he met Key, he knew that he will be on eof the outspoken ones. Those who will not be afraid to tell what is in his mind regardless of the traditions. He does not blame him at all. Unlike them, he was not raised into this kind of life. He did nto know the rules and everything was so new. 

It makes him uncomfortable, thinking how wrong can everything be if Key learns the truth and disagrees. No one. Only the elders know the truth about the apocalypse but the resistance are spreading it like wildfire among themselves.

“ what do you mean?”

“ eric, I will fight this- I am part of the covenant , but please atleast tell me. What is the apocalypse? ”

Eric walks and Key follows suit till they are situated in the balcony. 

“ what makes you think we are lying?”

Key decides that there is no point in hiding what happened. 

“a stranger told me about it. From the resistance.”

It baffles eric, on how close the resistance can infiltrate them. Moreover, on how they always pick Key as their target and not harm him. Its like, they want him to doubt the covenant. He still does not know what is his role in the upcoming apocalypse. 

Does the resistance know his full potential? 

“ good thing they did not harm you.” He says casually and Key is irked at his calmness. 

“ they told me that the apocalypse will decide who will reign.” 

Eric cringed. So, he knows. 

“ its true.” He whispers and Key can only turn away. He needs time to think this over. 

“ You must understand, the apocalypse is the end of this covenant.” Eric explains, 

“ you cannot say that. The apocalypse will make everyone stronger, we will all be on equal grounds when we fight, ” key reasoned but eric knew better. 

“ since the beginning of time, the covenant has always been stronger than the resistance. Stronger because of our values and generation of bloodlines. Not to mention our core strength is more powerful. But the apocalypse will shut it all down. It will restart everything.” He relates and hoped that the younger one will pick this all up and agree with him. But his hopes are all let down as soon as key opens his mouth. 

“so, you just want to keep your power?” he says icily. 

“ you would not understand, as you are young, but if you have lived all your life with the covenant, you will do all you can to protect it. You will not let what hundreds of generations worked hard for – to just die.” He says firmly and he looks out the sky. It’s a sunny day, a dull contrast to what is happening now. Key remains silent and he looks down. 

“ I have to think about it. ”

He leaves and heads off to the manor as soon as he can. Its about time that Onew knows about the truth as well. He believes that onew will have the same conclusion as eric, but he still needs to know what happens with the apocalypse.

But what greeted him did not make things alright. Everyone are holding champagne glasses. Jonghyun, Minho, Taemin (who looks like he is about to cry as he saw key come in.), JIno, TOP, GD, Yesung, Onew and Luna who is crying.

He wanted the earth to swallow him. After all, it did not take a neuro surgeon to guess what just happened. 
“ he said yes, ” Luna ran over to him, crushing him into a hug. Its as good as a gunshot to his heart as he saw Onew smile weakly at him. 

“ congratulations,” he says, in his best impression of happy. Taemin hands him a glass of champagne and tugs at his sleeves. Key only answers him with a - “I can handle this.”

Seeing onew like this, finally engaged to be married is killing him more than it should. The future onew just said they will be married, but did not tell him other details. Is this pain all worth it in the end? He still dies before his happy ending right? 

“ who will be the best man then?”he jokes at onew but his gaze is intense and he mentally slaps himself from shivering at his mere stare. 

“ all of them . ” he tells him and his mood changes to that of contentment.

“ when is the wedding?” Key asks. 

“ we have not set a date yet, but the engagement party will be done soon to announce. ” he explains and Key acted like he is genuinely interested. 

He was all alone again. After learning what the apocalypse means and doubting himself, he goes to the one person that he deems will give him some light. But then again, he is wrong. 

“I have to go,” he says quickly and slips out of the manor. 

He does not need anyone right now. No one in this time can help him at all. 

//

He opens the door to find the one person that he wants to see the most but decided against it. Onew looks at Key and holds out his hand. This day is when Key learns the truth from eric and the day he said yes to Luna. At the time, it was the most obvious thing to do. All he knew was Luna after all. But seeing Key broken like this is harder than he thought. In the past, he did not see this,but now- its taking every ounce of his control to not march in the manor and stop the engagement by talking to himself. 

“ you look like hell. ” he teased. 

Key smiled at him and pulled him in a tight hug. “atleast, I know that you’re real.” He whispers and he revels in te scent of onew. With everything that is going wrong, here, hidden in an almost empty storage area is the one person he needs. Onew. 

“ im real, we are real. Don’t worry.” He says. 

They just collapsed on the floor. Holding each other. It was all they needed, really. Be with each other as much as they could. The end is near and they feel it too. How can it all end when it hasn’t begun yet for Key? 
Onew smiled softly, shaking his head. He couldn't think of anything he wanted less. He just wanted to trace shadows on Key's face. He wanted to run his hands down the lithe muscles in his arms and chest. No, he didn't want to talk. He wanted to touch. 

Onew pulled Key's hands up into his own, holding them, running his thumb over his knuckles. Key was looking at their hands with a thoughtful look on his face. He always looked thoughtful when they touched. Key liked hands,Onew knew, from the way that Key spent a long time on them.

Onew entwined their fingers, towing Key along with him as he backed up to the couch. Onewdropped down on the floor in front of it, sitting with his knees pulled up, still holding Key 's hands, urging him to sit with him. Key lowered as well, and Onew spread his legs just enough for Key to turn and back in between them, resting his back against Onew's chest, and leaning his arms on Onew's knees.

Onew brought his head around and rested his cheek next to Key's. He inhaled and was enveloped in the smell of lilies, intoxicated by the feel of Key's skin against his. Their hands were still clasped, and Onew ran his fingertips down bones of Key's hand, then bringing them back up to travel the length of his fingers. He smiled softly as Onew caught him and proceeded to do the same to his hand.

A light breeze swept through the room from the open window, ruffling the two boy's hair and grazing their skin.
Key's thoughts were strangely blank, not having any words to describe what he was feeling. All he knew was that the feel of Onew's hands dancing with his, and feeling the warmth** of his chest against his own back was something he was not familiar with.

Onew's hands slipped to Key's wrists, caressing them lightly as he nuzzled Key's cheek, running his hands up Key's arms until he came to his shoulders, massaging them gently.
Key leaned back as Onew's fingers came to massage his neck, feeling Onew's working jaw against his face. Key moved a hand to trail up Onew's neck and finally rest in his soft brown-hair. Onew exhaled against Key's ear, and Key smiled as he massaged his head as Onew did his shoulders.
Onew brought his head back to place a kiss on the back of Key's neck, lips grazing it softly, and blowing across the sensitive skin.

Key smirked as Onew's muscular arms finally pushed his hair away from his face, and then lowered to wrap securely around key's thin waist, snuggling up to his back and laying his cheek against key's shoulder. key put his arms over onew's, and leaning his own head back to rest on onew's own shoulder, sighing contently.
onew's legs pressed key’s closely together, and key was enveloped in onew's warmth, feeling completely secure and content.

Every problem was completely forgotten for that moment.

Onew leaned his cheek against Key's, smiling as he hugged the smaller boy to him. He adored how Key felt against him.

Key didn't know just how long he and Onew sat together, just touching, holding, and feeling before Onew had felt the urge to start interrogating him. He knew that it had to be hours that Onew squeezed him, running his fingers over his chest, his sides and gripping his hips before going back to wrapping himself around him. Onew didn't try anything else, and Key thought that perhaps Onew was just content to be close to him.
Key knew that he wanted to touch Onew as well, but thought that for the moment he would let Onew take his turn. Besides, Key liked Onew 's hands, and he had a growing fondness for the workings of them as well. Every touch stimulated his senses in ways that had been forgotten for so long.

Onew leaned his head forward once again laying his cheek on his shoulder facing Key. Key turned to look at him as Onew 's red lips curled at the edges to form something of a half-smile.
Key decided that he liked that look the best so far.

"I guess that means that I'm going to have to work harder, then. To win you back, to be with you – every time. " Onew 's smile became a little more evil as his teeth sparkled.

"Perhaps." Key 's own lips curled in amusement. He liked that Onew 's smiles were most of the time adorable and sweet, but the evil smile that he was being treated to was decidedly more y than cute.

Onew chuckled lowly, puffs of air hitting Key 's face. "I'll have you know that I can be very persuasive."
'And I'll have you know that I am incredibly stubborn,' Key challenged.

Onew 's eyebrows rose at that, wondering if it was an invitation, before deciding to take one leap of faith.
His hands grasped at Key 's ribcage, turning him around to face him, Key 's legs falling underneath his right knee as he stared intensely into the other boy's eyes. His silent question was answered when he saw Key 's eyes sparkling madly. He was starting to realize that Key had two different personalities: one that was detached and somewhat cold, and another that was passionate and impish.

In a flash, Onew had Key pressed against the soft carpeted floor, Key 's hair splayed in a black halo around his head, looking up at him with what must be construed as curiosity, wonder, and excitement. Onew kept his evil smile in place as he moved his knees to straddle either side of Key 's hips.

Key had to admit, he hadn't expected Onew to be so forward. Usually, people were more cautious around him, which he enjoyed to an extent. But since Onew had the advantage of knowing what he wanted before he even said something aloud, he was surprised to learn that he enjoyed the unknown. Especially when they involved touching. He deeply enjoyed the touching.

Onew leaned forward, his palms on either side of Key 's shoulders, bending them so he was hovering over Key, not quite touching his body yet, but the hem of his shirt brushed over Key 's skin where his own shirt had ridden up subtly. He leaned down, closer to the beautiful boy's face, slowly losing his mischievous smile as he was overwhelmed by his closeness to Key 's red lips.

He faintly heard some rustling outside, but he couldn't bring himself to pay attention to anything else other than the slight part in the perfect bow-shaped lips. Usually, it was Onew who was doing the catch-me-off-guard thing, but it seemed that Key had turned the tables on him, and he could do little more than gaze dazedly at him.

'What now, Jethro?' The thought was wry, and a complete contradiction to the serene face before him.

Onew smirked, and quickly began to take advantage of the fact that he was the one who was from the future., so he couldn't be blind-sided to anything that could make Key feel good.

He bypassed Key 's lips, opting instead for a barely-there kiss to his neck, and he felt Key 's own sparks of pleasure echoing through his own body. His nose traced butterfly-soft patterns on the white column of Key 's neck, letting his cold breath roll over the skin. He articulately placed kissed along Key 's jaw, leaning up even more so that Key 's wild hair tickled his cheek as he kissed the soft area behind Key 's ear. Each kiss to Key 's skin set fire to his senses. Key 's skin was like tasting the wind, feeling it all over his body, and amongst everything else, he felt Key 's pleasure as ardently as if Key were placing the kisses upon him.

Onew felt otherworldly. Key had been kissed before, many times over the years. Some had been merely an experiment, some had been genuine, and some had been… almos nothing . Onew was different from all of them. He was new, and not much was new to Key. Onew continued to shock Key out his pre-conceived notions of what touching, kissing… and romance were, and feeling Onew was far more than faint tingles in one's stomach that had him practically mourning in disappointment. He had never been so glad to be wrong, as he had sparsely hoped that a feeling like what he felt with Onew could ever be real.

Onew 's tongue traced Key 's collarbone, and Key brought his hands up to bury in Onew 's hair, pulling at him softly to lower himself closer because, He wasn't close enough. Onew had said that he hadn't been with or even been attracted to anyone before Key. Could Onew really be this good at improvising? Onew growled at the pull, ravishing Key 's neck and shoulders, and Key tugged more just to hear that sound again.

Onew delivered hard bites to Key 's throat, which vibrated as Key moaned and clawed at Onew 's hair, pulling harder as his eyes darkened from sparkling green to pure black. Onew grew bolder by the second, with every tug from Key 's hands. He loved the feel of Key 's hands in his hair, tugging him closer. Key wanted him. Onew almost burst with happiness.

The shocks left Key wanting more, but then he reasoned that there couldn't possibly be anything more perfect than this. While mere kissing and touching might leave humans moving forward quickly, this seemed like the in itself. He couldn't fathom that anything could feel better, there couldn't possibly be more.

Onew felt as though he might burst from the combined rush of emotions from both himself and key, but they seemed to be in sync with the thought that this was it. After this, they could possible hit a plateau, and Onew wasn't ready for that yet.

But as he met Key 's lips finally, his arms fell out, and he landed perfectly on top of Key. The shocks of their bodies colliding fully, every part of themselves touching the other, aligning so perfectly was practically more that both of them could bear. Onew thought a few neurons in his brain might have exploded. If he thought it were possible to feel the universe, he had just felt it.

Quite frankly, he couldn't handle the onslaught of pleasure and emotions that coursed through him. He pulled back reluctantly, but the echo of tasting Key completely on his lips still lingering potently on his tongue. He didn't realize that his eyes had fallen closed, but when they opened again. 

There were no words.

He felt Onew 's eyes on him, and looked up, not entirely sure what to expect, but thinking that he couldn't possibly be the only one that had felt such… earth-shattering pleasure and bliss.

“ I will bever let you go,” Key finally says and Onew can only hum in approval. 

They will never part. Not now. 

Onew’s Point of View. 

It’s a cliché, starting this engagement party even if we are amidst this dark cloud. Everyone is bustling inside, trying to make everything perfect. But nothing is perfect. I sit here in the garden and try to capture the joy I should feel. 

“I can’t believe you’re engaged.” Minho greets me and hands me a glass of water. 

“ tell me about it,” I reply to him and loosen my tie. 

“ I remember when we were young, you were always with Luna and that did not change till now.” Minho tells me and I can sense the longing in his words. What we have is what he had with Taeyeon. We all bet that they will be married or engaged as soon as college starts but that is impossible now. 

“ do you wish that this happened to you and taeyeon as well?” I ask him bluntly and he only smiles at me. 

“ at that time, I did. But right now, I believe that everything happened so that I will be standing here – looking out in the garden and all alone.” He tells me and I take a gulp of water. 

I am surprised at Luna’s proposal but ‘yes’ was an almost automatic answer. Seeing her like that, with all the hope and joy. Like, if I said no, she will go to the cliff and kill herself. I cannot deny her the happiness. What could go wrong? We knew each other from since we were kids and its only natural that we end up together- in the end. 

We are interrupted as TOP walks over to us. 

“ are you ready?” he greets me and I nod. It’s a good change to see TOP like this, all smiles and not the serious one he always is. 

“ your guests will arrive soon and Luna is nervous.” He replies and I stand up, making my way inside the manor. 

The manor is decorated as what we oth wanted. Everyone put in much effort, we complained that this is not a wedding ceremony but an engagement party. I scan the room in search for one person and as soon as I locked gaze with him- I felt my heart quicken and my knees dared to give out. 

The past days are confusing, on how Key can affect me. But I have no time to ask and to discover what I feel for him. Having him by my side is enough. 

“ hi. ” he greets me and the longing in his eyes are heartbreaking. He is not talking to me eversince the day I said yes to Luna. He tells me that he is busy with school and thinking about what to do about him being the trigger. ,But I fail to see the truth and it makes me feel worthless. After all, I vowed to save him. To make sure that he is alright. 

“ isn’t it too early for drinks?” I joke and he chuckles at that. 

“ if you haven’t noticed this yet, all that is served are alcoholic drinks- and I think Jino is doing an effective job of spiking all the drinks.”

Key tells me and I look around, finally spotting Jino who is happily serving drinks. 

“ I think so, but I need all of you sober – save the crazy late night.”

“ I can’t promise that, ” he winked at me and we fall silent. A presentation is shown, all of my pictures with Luna and it just shows how long we have been together. I feel a hand enclose mine and it sends a familiar warmth. Key. 

“ you really are getting married?” he says so slowly and I look at him. 

“ yes, but not now- -- ”

“ the apocalypse is coming, if you haven’t noticed,” he turns to me. 

“ I know, but- I do not want to rush, I think this ring is enough as a promise.” I show him my ring and I see his lips twitch upon seeing it. He looks like he will be sick any moment. 

“ eric told me you came to see him, but he does not want to tell me what you talked about.” I pout, trying to coax the answer out of him but he pales at my words. 

“ it was nothing important.” He finally says but I pry, 

“ why are you going all secretive on me? Come on! Tell me!” I try to keep things light but obviously, key does not see anything funny with our situation. 

“ I think that the apocalypse is inevitable Onew, I don’t think we can do anything about it. Its bound to happen. ”

“ can we please, not talk about that now. ” I tell him pointedly. I know that he is indeed concerned, but I want to be allowed to be happy just for a moment. But this, having key be this indifferent is proving harder than I thought. 

We part ways and I am left to talk to people all around me, telling their congratulations and I feel a light tap on my back. Luna. I kiss her cheek and she blushes at my gesture. 

“it’s a bit grand for an engagement party.” She points out and I agree. 

Eric is coming towards me and I feel an unwanted chill run through my body because of this. His eyes are shifting and he looks uneasy, he finally reaches me and tells me what I dreaded the most. 

“ do you feel that strong barrier?” he says rather calmly and sure enough, I feel it too. This barrier is different. Sinister. If you can describe a barrier. It will encase us. It won’t protect us, it is here to make sure that we will not get out. 

“ we have to warn the others.” I tell him but we are too late for that. 

The barrier increaed tenfold and soon we can all feel it. Everyone looked around, waiting or the attack and I catch key’s eye. We both know that what he said is true, that we can no longer prevent anything. In an instant, I see someone come behind Key- btu I relax as I see that it its Professor K. 

“PROFESSOR!” I call out to him but he just gives me a small smile and he mouths a sorry. I tilt my head in question and it dawns on me as he puts his arm around Key and tightens his grip. 

“ NO!”

I shout and I lunge forward to snatch him away but the professor is quicker, he leaps quickly and he is now on the balcony, for everyone to see. Key is struggling but he is not match with the power pf the professor. We could nto attack him, it is harder than I thought. How can you huirt someone that you saw as your father? Everyone waited for an answer but we were nto granted this as members of the resistance came out of the windows. Glasses breaking and the lights are slowly closing off. 

The scene infront of me is made from my nightmare. This manor , a place that I deemed safe is now a battleground. This hall where I spent my birthdays and spent beautiful days in is now transformed in this chaos. I see tiffany clearly and she walks with ease even if its getting dark, like me. She memorized this place. 

I look up once more and pleaded to professor K. I need to know. Is this true? He must understand me and I hear him clearly tell me, 

“ Its time for change, and I am the one who will make it happen. ”

“you cannot mean that!” I shout at him and I notice Jino, Jonghyun and minho come close to me. We are all trying to change his mind and make sense of this betrayal. He creates another barrier that topples us off but I can definitely heard the truth as he proclaimed just before I hit the walls forcefully. 

“im tired of being the hero. ”