Cute Accents

The Truth in Acting

Mark felt suffocated.

 
The blonde was currently sitting at a large round table with the director and the rest of the cast of the drama he became a part of. They were doing a read-through of the script, and Mark's amount of lines was no joke. What was worse was that he kept stumbling over his words in his nervous state. Korean had suddenly become a foreign language again and from the heat he felt accumulating in his face, he could tell he was bright red with embarrassment.
 
Mark had received the script in the mail just days earlier, but his busy schedule prevented him from being able to look it over before coming to the read-through. Now he wished he made time to do just that.
 
The blonde silently thanked whatever unseen force was out there when he came across a scene in English. This he was more comfortable with. Mark's character was fluent in English and had to go America in the first episode. Maybe that's one of the reasons Mark was offered this part in the first place.
 
Mark hadn't really thought of putting much effort into his lines--none of the cast had. It was just a read-through, after all. When the cast finally made it to the end of episode one's script, Mark was starting to think that all this wouldn't be that bad after all.
 
---
 
"Only Yours?" Jinyoung questioned in accented English, reading the title of the drama from the front page of the script.
 
Mark nodded and translated it to Korean in case the younger didn't understand. Jinyoung cringed slightly at the title, but he was all to familiar with how cheesy dramas could be.
 
"How was the read-through?"
 
"It was...." Mark hesitated, leaning on the wall behind him. He didn't want to disappoint Jinyoung by telling him it made him uncomfortable, but he didn't really know how else he could describe it. The younger's expecting gaze didn't really help Mark find the best words, either. "It was..weird."
 
Jinyoung gave him a soft smile and placed a reassuring hand on his hyung's shoulder. "Of course it's gonna be weird in the beginning. But you'll get used to it eventually! What's the first episode like?"
 
"My character's a high school student who goes on a trip to America to see his father and-" Mark began, but the excited Korean boy next to him interrupted.
 
"That's right up your alley, hyung! This character is perfect for you." 
 
The creases around Jinyoung's eyes made Mark lose his train of thought. After a long pause the older took to remember his words, he continued. "A-and then he bumps into this Korean girl who's also visiting family there--literally. They didn't expect to see each other again after that, but when they went back to Korea, they found out that they go to the same high school."
 
"Who's the actress playing the girl?" Jinyoung asked curiously while opening the script to a couple pages in.
 
"She's just some rookie actress. I think this is her first main role in a drama."
 
"That makes two of you then." Jinyoung smirked and stood from his bed which the two had been sitting on. "Alright, let's practice your lines!"
 
"Now!?" Mark was slightly taken aback by this. They only had their first meeting earlier that day, and it was almost midnight.
 
"Of course! To be a good, responsible actor you have to memorize your lines as soon as possible." And with that, the black-haired male began reading one of the main female role's lines in accented English. "Woah, watch where...you are..going!"
 
Mark couldn't help but smile at the younger's enthusiastic attempt at reading in English. It's not that he was bad at speaking English(that wasn't the case at all) but the blonde had to admit that Jinyoung's focus to get the all the pronunciations correct was very cute. He was so distracted that he completely forgot he had to say his line. Jinyoung looked at the older member with a grin, assuming he just hadn't memorized his lines yet and sat back down next to him so Mark could look over his shoulder at the script.
 
"Oh, right." Mark muttered softly, glancing at his next line and reading it perfectly in English. "Watch where I'm going? Maybe you should watch where you're going."
 
"How ob...." Jinyoung's face contorted with confusion as he struggled to pronounce the next word. "Ob-nossush?"
 
Mark couldn't contain his high pitched giggle as he corrected the younger, "Obnoxious!" which he then proceeded to translate to Korean so Jinyoung would understand.
 
"Ahh, ob..noxioos.." he tried it out on his tongue and Mark was unable to keep from smiling at his pronunciation error. Seconds later, Jinyoung suddenly closed the script and looked at Mark. "Maybe..I'm not the best person to help you out."
 
"Huh? How come?" The older male was surprised that Jinyoung thought that way all of the sudden. He was, no doubt, probably the best actor out of all the members.
 
"I don't know English.. Maybe you should get Jackson to help you. He's good at acting too." Jinyoung flashed another smile, but this one was different. He seemed a little...self conscious?
 
"What are you talking about? Your English has gotten very good, Jinyoungie. This is great practice for both you and me!" Mark returned the smile, but his was completely genuine. 
 
Mark's words seemed to reassure the younger well enough, because in no time the script was open again and the female lead's lines were being read in (cute) accented English.
 
---
 
A/b: here you guys go^^ I'm very happy with the number of subscribers I've already gotten on this story! Also I've gotten some very nice comments, so thanks for being interested in this story and supporting it! I'll try to update as often as possible(hopefully not exceeding a few days between updates). I had a minor case of writers block while writing this so its not my best work LOL. But I hope you guys liked it anyway :-)))