An Offer

The Truth in Acting

"I've been offered what!?"

 
The loud, surprised sound of Mark's voice echoed through the quiet dance studio filled with resting Got7 members. Mark had been pulled aside by their manager who had something he wanted to discuss with the LA native.
 
"An acting role, Mark. And a main one, too." The manager repeated slightly louder this time, gaining the interest of a few other members who were sitting nearby.
 
"Mark hyung? Offered an acting role? You've gotta be kidding!" Jackson chirped with laughter from the couch. 
 
"Mark's never been interested in acting, though." Jaebum mentioned, wondering why the director of the drama had pictured the rapper as the main role.
 
Mark was as dumbfounded as the rest of the members. It wasn't that he hated acting or anything, but he genuinely didn't believe he had a single ounce of acting skills in his body. Whenever asked during an interview what his dream role would be, he always answered with "An extra." Even his role in Dream Knight was small--probably because the director realized how little skill Mark had when it came to acting as well.
 
"But hyung, I can't act. Why me? Why not Jinyoung?" Mark, along with the rest of the members of Got7, knew how passionate Jinyoung was about acting. Not only did he like doing it, but he was also extremely good at it.
 
"You've been gaining popularity, Mark. I guess the director just wanted to appeal to a certain audience." The manager explained, flashing him what he assumed to be an encouraging smile.
 
"I don't think I-"
 
"Mark hyung will think about it!" The blonde was interrupted by a familiar voice as he felt an arm wrap around his shoulders. He turned his head to see Jinyoung, who was looking back at him with an encouraging smile as well(which Mark found to be a lot more reassuring than their manager's).
 
"Ok, but be sure to get back to me by tomorrow. The director needs to know as soon as possible." And with that, the manager waved and left the dance studio.
 
As soon as the door was shut, Jinyoung gave Mark's shoulder a squeeze. "Congrats on the offer!" He flashed a smile. That signature smile. The smile that Mark liked because it created little creases around the younger's eyes.
 
"But I can't accept it, I'm not an actor." The older male stressed, lifting a hand to scratch his neck. Jinyoung surely should've been aware of how unwilling Mark was to act.
 
"So? Just because you haven't acted often doesn't mean you should decline the offer, hyung." Jinyoung let go of the blonde's shoulder and turned to the other members who were still resting from the long dance practice they just had. "Right guys?"
 
Bambam was the first to stand, leaping over to the oldest member and patting his back. "That's right, I think you'd be great hyung!"
 
"Go for it!" Youngjae randomly spurted out in thickly accented English from the couch, laughing at himself and glancing around at the other members.
 
Mark couldn't help but laugh along with the vocalist, who seemed to be very pleased with his reaction.
 
"I think Mark hyung would do a good job too." Yugyeom chimed in, smiling at the blonde.
 
"I dunno guys, Mark is reeeally quiet." Jackson teased his roommate, earning a not-so-serious glare from the oldest member.
 
"I think it would be a good experience, but you should only do it if you want to." The leader said, his responsible and caring side showing through. The other members mumbled their agreement, leaving Mark feeling even more awkward than before.
 
He didn't really know what to choose. Although he would never admit it, Mark always admired actors he met through various celebrity events. He often found himself wondering what it would be like in their shoes, pretending to be a whole different person and doing things you wouldn't normally do. But he could never do those things successfully with his nonexistent acting skills, could he?
 
"...I'll think about it a little more...I guess." Jinyoung's hand squeezed Mark's shoulder reassuringly, and the older gave him a grateful smile in return.
 
Jaebum clapped his hands once and stood. "Alright, for now let's continue practicing!"
 
---
 
The Got7 members were all enthusiastically making dinner in their dorm's kitchen, each assigned a specific job. Mark's job was to cut carrots, which he finished in no time. When he was done, he exited the rowdy room and retired to the couch with a sigh.
 
Jinyoung had also finished his job of peeling apples early and had noticed Mark walking toward the living room. Not having anything left to do himself, Jinyoung followed the older male and plopped down beside him on the couch.
 
"Is it bothering you that much?"
 
"Huh?" Was Mark's reply, not knowing what the black-haired male was talking about.
 
"The acting role. You seem all lost in thought. And you were messing up a lot in practice earlier today." Jinyoung laughed a bit, and the older flushed slightly in embarrassment.
 
"Oh yeah...I guess."
 
"Do you really not want to do it?"
 
"It's not that.. I mean, I think acting would be really fun, but.." Mark trailed off, biting his lip slightly and turning his head to face the window.
 
"But..?" Jinyoung repeated, leaning over to get a better look at Mark's face.
 
"I don't have any acting skill. I don't know why they didn't just offer you the part, Jinyoung. You're a better actor than I'll ever be."
 
The younger frowned a bit at this, sad that Mark felt that way about himself. But mere seconds later, Jinyoung had an idea. "Why don't I help you out? You know, I'll teach you some basic skills and help you with your script!"
 
Mark was a little surprised at the offer, but he would be lying if he said it was a bad idea. Jinyoung took notice of the pause in their conversation and took that as an answer. "Yeah! I'll show you how fun acting can really be!" He smiled when Mark turned his head back to look at him.
 
"Okay..."
 
---
 
A/n: well that's the first chapter :) I'll try to keep updates at a reasonable time as much as possible! Hopefully you guys like the story so far. Maybe if I see some nice comments I'll be more motivated to update often???? Hahaha well anyways, here you guys go, my first chaptered Markjin fic!