Getting the Hang of It

The Truth in Acting

Mark had been twitching nervously all day. He dreaded each second that went by as his gaze kept shifting to the clock face on the wall.

 
Today he was supposed to film a kiss scene with his acting partner.
 
Not only was Mark completely uninterested in his acting partner(and interested in a certain vocalist instead), but he'd never actually kissed a girl before. He'd never kissed anyone before. At least, not on the lips. To make matters worse, he was supposed to be the one initiating the kiss in the scene.
 
Mark knew all along that by accepting a lead role in a romance drama that this day would come eventually, but it still caught him off guard when his director mentioned that he would be doing a kissing scene next time they filmed. The rapper had a week to prepare, but how was he supposed to prepare himself when he had no one around to practice on?
 
It were moments like these that Mark thought of Jinyoung, but he quickly turned down the idea. No way am I asking for his help with this.
 
The clock ticked on, getting nearer and nearer to the time Mark was scheduled to leave for filming. The blonde bit his lip nervously, his fingers digging into the couch cushion as his script sat open on his lap.
 
"Need help?"
 
The sudden voice from across the room startled Mark, and in his already twitchy state, he let out a small yelp of surprise and accidentally let his script tumble to the floor.
 
Jinyoung let out a laugh, "Sorry, didn't mean to startle you."
 
Mark's cheeks turned a light shade of pink as he quickly reached for his script on the ground. "I-It's ok."
 
"Do you have all your lines memorized for the scenes you're filming today?" The younger boy asked, making his way over to Mark and sitting down beside him. The rapper quickly closed his script, making sure Jinyoung couldn't see the stage direction to kiss his acting partner.
 
"Yeah, I'm prepared." Mark said, almost as if he was trying to convince himself.
 
Jinyoung smiled, placing a hand on his hyung's shoulder. "You're getting better at this, you know."
 
Butterflies tickled Mark's stomach as he tried to refrain from blushing. "T-thanks." His gaze hesitantly made its way to the younger's, gulping quietly. As if Mark wasn't nervous enough already before Jinyoung arrived.
 
They remained like that for a moment or so, eyes locked, until Jinyoung suddenly looked away. "What time do you have to leave again?"
 
Mark cleared his throat, standing. "I should probably get going now actually."
 
Jinyoung stood as well, smiling encouragingly at the older. "Good luck today." His tone was affectionate, supportive. Mark found it hard not to return the caring smile that made his heart skip a beat.
 
"Thanks Jinyoungie."
 
 
---
 
Mark grabbed the girl's hand, grinning mischievously as he pulled her behind a curtain. The girl's mother was looking for them, and they were trying to hide from her. 
 
Behind the curtain proved to be a smaller space than intended, resulting in close proximity between the two bodies. Both looked at each other in the eyes, Mark's grin slowly dissolving. The girl blinked a few times, her cheeks turning a soft shade of pink. After a few moments without moving, the blonde slowly leaned closer. Once the girl felt Mark's breath ghost over her face, she let her eyes flutter closed.
 
Mark moved a hand up to hold the girl's cheek gently. After hesitating for just a moment longer, Mark let his eyes close as well and pressed his lips against hers.
 
They stayed like that for a few seconds, their lips softly pressed together, until the girl deepened the kiss. Mark's cheeks grew tinted at this, but he tried his best to match the motions of her lips.
 
"Cut!"
 
Instantly, Mark withdrew from the girl and turned away. His cheeks were red, but his fringe thankfully covered his eyes to shield himself from further embarrassment. 
 
"That was good Mark! Looks like you're finally getting the hang of it." The director complimented, his tone only showing slight annoyance from the 50 earlier attempts at the kiss scene. Mark had either chickened out and excused himself to get a drink of water, or refused to move his lips when his acting partner tried to deepen the kiss. This time, however, he actually earned the satisfaction of the director. "Let's do it again from a couple other angles, finish up the scene, and call it a night."
 
Mark nodded, thanking a member of the staff who offered him a bottle of water. He gulped half of it down easily, trying to ease his nerves that never seemed to diminish. He handed the bottle back to the staff member and took a deep breath, risking a glance at the girl beside him. She smiled encouragingly, giving him a thumbs up.
 
"You're doing great!"
 
She was being nice. He wasn't doing great; he was wasting everyone's night by making them do a million takes of the same scene. He still couldn't look at her directly in the eyes, however, but he accepted the compliment and thanked her nonetheless.
 
The camera moved to the other side of them and Mark reluctantly returned to his former position: leaned in close with one hand on the girl's cheek. When he heard the director call "Action!", he pressed his lips against his acting partner once again.
 
This kiss was better. Mark was starting to understand the motions of his lips, so he tried to look more into the kiss as seconds passed. The camera began panning around them, trying to find the best angle. 
 
"Cut! That's a wrap!" His tone was satisfied, and he seemed relieved that the filming was over. Mark couldn't have understood the feeling better.
 
Just as he turned his head to where a couple of the staff members were standing, he saw someone familiar. Mark felt his stomach drop.
 
Jinyoung.
 
The black haired male was staring back at him, an unreadable expression on his face. Mark instantly felt like he wanted to hide. He wanted to confront the boy and ask why he showed up, but fear of confronting the vocalist after he witnessed what Mark had just been doing overcame him. Thankfully, his acting partner tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention.
 
"Hey, you did really good! Once you started getting the hang of it, you kissed better than my ex boyfriend!" She giggled and Mark flushed lightly, scratching his neck with embarrassment. He felt Jinyoung's gaze burning into him and he subconsciously flinched, playing it off by laughing awkwardly.
 
"T-thanks. You were really good too.. Sorry it took me so many takes."
 
"It's fine! Is this the first time you've ever kissed a girl?" She smiled, nudging him in the side playfully.
 
"Y-yeah," Mark croaked, feeling more than uncomfortable with the situation. It may be his first time kissing a girl, but all he wanted to do was kiss a boy. A certain boy.
 
The girl laughed, playfully nudging Mark again. "That's adorable! Well I'm honored to be your first."
 
"Yeah...." Mark smiled half-heartedly at his scene partner before risking a glance across the room again. The vocalist, however, was no where to be seen. "Um, I gotta go." The blonde blurted out before quickly making his way to where Jinyoung used to be standing and leaving a confused actress behind him.
 
Mark looked around, trying to catch a glimpse of Jinyoung. When his attempts failed, he made his way to his manager. "Have you seen Jinyoung?"
 
"Jinyoung?" His manager looked up from eating a bowl of rice. "Jinyoung's here?"
 
Mark sighed, sitting down beside his manager. "He was..."
 
"He must have just stopped by to see how you were doing. You're the only one he'd stop shoving his nose in a book and get out of bed for, you know." His manager said nonchalantly, picking up the last clump of rice with his chopsticks.
 
Mark felt his cheeks redden at this, then quickly stood. "Come on, let's go back to the dorm." He grabbed his managers wrist, feeling the sudden urge to see Jinyoung.
 
"God, let me finish chewing first. And go change already!"
 
---
 
Once they arrived at the dorm, Mark headed straight in the direction of Jinyoung's room. Upon entering the maknaes' room on the way, Bambam stopped him from knocking on Jinyoung's door.
 
"Wait Mark hyung, Jinyoung hyung told us not to bother him because he was going to sleep." The younger rapper said from where he sat playing video games on his phone. 
 
"Isn't it a little early to be going to sleep already?" Mark asked, slightly confused. It was only 8pm, after all.
 
Bambam shrugged, clearly uninterested as he tapped away at his phone screen and grunted with frustration when he lost a life in his game.
 
Mark stood there for a couple seconds longer before sighing and leaving the room.
 
Why didn't he say anything to me when he visited the set earlier? Is he angry?
 
Mark shook his head slightly in frustration before making his way to his own room and shutting the door behind him.
 
---
 
A/n: I hope I'll be a bit more free now to update more often since the play I'm in is coming to an end this weekend. I hope you liked this chapter!!