004

My Twenties

It was nearly winter now.  Joshua had been at his new high school for a few months and the days were getting colder, the nights getting longer and his friendship with Jeonghan becoming stronger.

The two had managed to hang out a few times after school, but for some reason it never felt like hanging out with normal friends to Joshua.  Whenever he saw Seungcheol after school, he didn't feel like he always had to act a certain way, and there wasn't a sort of tension in the air.  Around Jeonghan, Joshua either couldn't stop smiling, or couldn't look the other in the eye.  He knew why, and the constant butterflies fluttering in his stomach never let him forget the reason.

Of course, Joshua's feelings for Jeonghan were growing stronger and stronger each day, but he almost couldn't admit it to himself.  It wasn't the fear of ruining a friendship, but it was the feeling of knowing that Jeonghan wouldn't feel the same way and it would mean certain rejection.  Joshua was more worried about Jeonghan not liking him back in that way than he was of their friendship falling apart.  He wanted and needed to hold the other's hand and have it mean something more than anything.

"What do you think about Yoon Jeonghan?"  Joshua lazily asked one day hanging out with Seungcheol.  He was laying on his bed and Seungcheol was sitting at Joshua's desk, playing on his phone.

"Oh, he's in my math class, he's really nice."  Seungcheol hummed in response not really paying attention.  "Why do you ask?"

"No reason, we're just becoming really good friends lately, that's all."  Joshua responded.  His cheeks were heating up at the thought of the other, and he buried his face into his pillow.

"To be honest, I'm surprised he's not in a relationship by now."  Seungcheol suddenly spoke up.  Joshua raised his head, arching an eyebrow.

"Why do you say 'relationship' and not 'girlfriend'?"  He asked hesitantly.  Seungcheol shrugged.

"I mean, have you seen him?  He just doesn't seem 100% straight to me."  Seungcheol stated.  Joshua frowned.

"It's not ok to assume someone's uality based off of their appearance; that's stereotyping."  He said.  Inside however, a very small glimer of hope shone through.  Maybe, just maybe, Jeonghan might have feelings for boys.

"I know, but to be quite honest, my instincts usually aren't wrong."  Seungcheol put his phone down and turned the chair around to face Joshua.  "Joshua Hong, tell me how you feel about boys."

Joshua's face turned bright red.  Just what was Seungcheol getting at??  There was no way he could have figured out Joshua's secret; he made absolutely sure that no one would ever suspect a thing.

"Your face is red."  Seungcheol pushed on.  He sighed, leaning his head back.  "It's okay you know.  And hey, I could be totally wrong, and if you aren't attracted to guys then that's on me.  But honestly ever since I met you, you never seemed totally straight and I just want to know.  It's ok with me if you like guys I don't care at all."  Joshua took a deep breath.

"You caught me."  He chuckled.  "To some extent, yes I do like boys like I would like a girl.  But I honestly look at personalities more than anything."

"I'm really glad you told me that.  And to tell you a secret of my own, I'm not quite sure if I'm straight myself.  I mean, I think I am, but sometimes I catch myself getting feelings for guys and it's weird."  Seungcheol looked down and Joshua was caught off guard.  He really never expected this coming from the other.

"Well, I'm here to support you if you ever want to talk about it."  He offered, smiling wide.  Seungcheol nodded.

"Sooo, is that why you asked about Mr. Yoon Jeonghan?"  Seungcheol laughed.  Joshua's face flourished red.

"Shut up"

 

"Today's assignment will be a partner project!"  The writing teacher announced one day.  Naturally, Jeonghan's hand flew to Joshua's hoodie to grip the sleeve just like he had done a million times before.  They already knew they'd be partners without even asking each other.

Their project was to take a picture of something in nature and to write a short story to accompany it.

"You're much better at writing than I am, I can take the picture."  Joshua offered.  Jeonghan rolled his eyes, smirking.

"Sure, leave me to do the hard part."  He teased.  They spent the rest of the class period discussing ideas.  The whole time a small thought had been in the back of Joshua's mind and it was constantly bothering him.

There was a winter formal dance coming up.  Joshua knew he could never ask Jeonghan to be his date to the dance no matter how the stars aligned.  But part of him just wanted to know if Jeonghan had a date of his own, or if he was even going.  He just wanted to know.

As the bell rang, and the two boys collected their things, Joshua hesitated with the question.

"So are you excited for the winter formal?"  He asked, trying to play it off nonchalantly.  

Jeonghan smiled.  "I am actually!  I think I even found someone that I want to ask."  Joshua's heart was beating so fast he was sure Jeonghan would hear it.  Don't get your hopes up, don't get your hopes up, don't get your hopes up.  The thought kept replying in his mind.

"There's this girl in my science class and she's really nice, I might see if she wants to go."  Jeonghan answered. 

Joshua's heart sank to the floor.

 

 

-------------

HI!!

Sorry this chapter was REALLY sloppy and kind of lazy.  School this past week was really busy for me so I didn't have time to update and I also had a bit of writer's block. ;;

I have an idea for how I want to continue this chapter though so be expecting an update really soon, maybe even later today!!

Thank you all soo much for sticking with this story so far it means a lot.  Please stay tuned things will pick up really soon!

See you in the next chapter~