☆6☆ Flashback: Promise to Remember

Promise to a Star
★ October 7, 2012 ★
 
I lean my back against the wall, releasing a heavy sigh as I wait for Seuji to be ready so I can walk her to the altar to meet Junhyung.
 
Ironic. It's all really ironic.
 
I am the first one who saw Seuji, not Junhyung. I am the one who girls adore because of everything I have, not Junhyung. I am the one who likes astronomy like Seuji, not Junhyung.
 
In the end Junhyung is the one who will marry Seuji, the girl I love till this moment.
 
I don't even have a chance to confess to her, to tell her how much I love her, but I need to let her go now.
 
Seuji looks really beautiful with the white wedding gown. Her bright smile blossoms with the pink lipstick she put on. How I wish I am the one who is waiting for her in front of the altar.
 
The wedding ceremony goes on smoothly. I watch how Junhyung kisses Seuji, how Seuji smiles with happy tears on her face, how lovable they are.
 
My heart clenches upon the scene of two love birds who are officially married now. I try to hide my disappointment by playing the piano in the church as my wedding present for them.
 
Everything goes well until the night comes.
 
I agree to drive them back to their new house, the one my parents bought for them as a wedding present since I am the one who helped to choose the house. Before that we have fun together in the wedding party.
 
I lose control over myself; I drink too much alcohol until I reach the tipsy state. When I realize I can't drive if I am too drunk, I stop drinking and wash my face, acting as if I'm perfectly alright.
 
"Come on," my mother says to Junhyung and Seuji. "It's time for your first night together. Jaesoon will drive you to your new house."
 
With unfocused mind, I step in my car while they sit on the back seat, laughing happily, wondering where the new house is.
 
In the middle of our way there, my head starts to ache really bad. I grip the steering wheel tightly but it doesn't help me at all.
 
That's when I don't see a car takes a turn and we almost crash to each other.
 
"Jaesoon!" Seuji snaps me back to reality. I look up and throws the steering wheel to other side to prevent us crashing the car.
 
I can't control the car because my mind is not working properly due to the alcohol effect. I spin the wheel randomly and my car hits a truck which is actually really big for me to see.
 
The last thing I remember before I black out is Seuji's voice, echoing in the night.
 
When I open my eyes again, I am laying down on a bed. Everything is white around me and I know I am in a hospital.
 
"Yah, Jaesoon," Hyunseung calls me. He is sitting right next to me. "Are you feeling better now?"
 
"Where is Junhyung? Where is Seuji?" I grab his arm, asking the questions that have been spinning in my head. "Where are they?"
 
My head is really hurt but I have a really bad feeling about Junhyung and Seuji. Please, tell me they are alright.
 
Hyunseung's eyes fill with sorrow as he answers slowly, "Seuji is alright. Both of you only have minor injuries but Junhyung..."
 
"What?" I raise my voice because he stops all of a sudden. "What happened to Junhyung? Yah, Hyunseung! Tell me!"
 
"He...," Hyunseung clears his throat awkwardly, "...is in coma state right now."
 
"What?!" I groan with disbelief tone. "Coma?! How... Why..."
 
"Look, the doctor is trying his best to help Junhyung, okay?" Hyunseung tries to calm me down. "But he can't promise us. His condition is at critical state so-"
 
"I want to see him," I sit up abruptly but Hyunseung stops me, preventing me to leave the bed.
 
"You'll see him tomorrow. Please, take a rest. Your parents asked me to accompany you for tonight. Even though your injuries are not serious, you still need to take a good rest," Hyunseung explains briefly. "I promise I'll tell you his condition tomorrow morning."
 
Before I can even reply him, we can hear the loud noises from outside. I'm pretty sure it's Seuji's voice so I beg Hyunseung to let me check her condition.
 
"Where is Junhyung Oppa?" she asks furiously to my father. "We should be in our new house now, right? Tell me he is alright. Tell me!"
 
"Seuji...," I call her name, trying to calm her down. I realize that her head is bandaged but other than that, there are only scratches on her arms.
 
She turns to me with wide eyes. Fear fills her eyes as she closes her ears with both of her hands and steps backwards, "You... It's all because of you..."
 
I feel as if someone just stabbed me with a knife. It is indeed my fault why all of these happened, but to hear Seuji say it right in front of me... It really hurts.
 
"Don't!" she screams when I step closer to her. Tears roll down on her cheeks. "Don't you dare come closer to me! If it's not because of you... Junhyung Oppa..."
 
Her voice slowly disappears and she faints. My father catches her before she hits the floor, "Seuji ah!"
 
"It's enough," my father states to me. "You need to rest. The nurse will take care of Seuji. Don't ask anything. We'll talk later."
 
I don't sleep that night. Uneasy feeling fills my heart. Guilty feeling strikes my mind.
 
If something happens to Junhyung, I will never forgive myself. I should be the one who is coma, not him. I am the one who caused the accident on his happiest day in life.
 
I promised that I will cherish both of them, now look what I've done. I ruin their precious wedding day into bloody day where Junhyung's current condition can not be determined as alive or not.
 
Morning comes and I ask Hyunseung to help me so I can meet my parents. They are talking to the doctor when I see them. They give me extremely sad expressions; my mother is crying when she looks at me.
 
"It's more than six hours already," my father explains to me. "Junhyung doesn't react at all even after multiple tests. No one can make sure when he will wake up."
 
The harsh reality crushes me down. What will Seuji do if she finds out about it? What if Junhyung never opens his eyes again? What if...
 
"Why should it be Junhyung?" my mother sobs uncontrollably. "He just married. He just... He finally..."
 
She can't finish her words and another imaginary knife stabs my chest; I know. I should be the one who is standing on the line between life and death, not Junhyung.
 
"We'll talk to Seuji after she feels better," my father says as he hugs my mother. "I'm not sure she is in the best state to talk about Junhyung's condition now."
 
I only stand like a statue on my feet. Negative thoughts fill my mind: Seuji must be really hate me now; I screw her happy life.
 
"I...," I murmur to Hyunseung when he accompanies me in my ward, "...want to talk with Seuji."
 
"Jaesoon ah, she-" Hyunseung tries to change my mind but when he looks my face, he stops and sighs heavily. "If she starts to lose her temper, you're going to stop. Do you understand?"
 
I nod and stand up from my bed. He helps me to find Seuji's room, telling me that he will be waiting outside.
 
I open the door slowly and find Seuji is praying in silence. She opens her eyes when she hears the sound.
 
"Oppa?"
 
My heart skips a beat when a smile forms on her lips. Did she just call me Oppa?
 
"Junhyung Oppa! I know you're alright!" she tries to stand up from her bed slowly and rushes to hug me. "I know they were just trying to give me a shock! I know you're alright!"
 
"S-Seuji ah...," I try to calm down. How could she mistaken me with Junhyung? "I-It's me, Jaesoon..."
 
"Hmm?" she releases her hug and smiles to me. "What is it? You want me to call you with new nickname now that we're married?"
 
As if lightning just struck me, I stand still, trying to process her words in my brain. I tell her to go back to her bed and I rush outside to ask Hyunseung to call the doctor and my parents.
 
"I know the stars listened to me," Seuji mutters while I am waiting for Hyunseung to come back. "I prayed last night that you would be alright and it came true!"
 
I clench my fists. What is happening to her?
 
"Junhyung Oppa," she holds my hand. "Promise me, you will always stay with me."
 
How can I promise her now? How can I promise something when she barely remembers about what happened?