☆12☆ Promise to You

Promise to a Star
★ December 31, 2013 ★
 
Junhyung is trying to persuade Seuji so she want to eat something while Jiyeon and the others are checking the preparation for the New Year's Eve party which will be started in two hours.
 
The clock has striked 7 PM but Seuji still refuses to eat something even though she hasn't eaten anything since morning. It's obvious that she tries to bury her thought with work.
 
Today all applicants who passed through the previous audition has been divided for ten performances as the representatives for the record label. The event is held at a town square, a strategic place to gather the crowd.
 
"Sirius," Seuji walks away from Junhyung and approaches me. She hands over the schedule for tonight, "This is yours. Jiyeon will be the one to take care of the rehearsal so you can tell her about what you need. I'm going out for a while."
 
"Your husband?" I mumble calmly, trying to act as calm as possible.
 
"How did you know?" she frowns with serious expression. "Mostly people guessed that he is my boyfriend, you know. Don't you think I'm a little bit too young to be married?"
 
Great. I picked wrong word to pick.
 
"I heard Jiyeon talked about your husband," I manage to answer with a good reason. "He is staring at us. You better go now."
 
Seuji gives me another curious look before walks away with Junhyung. He ruffles her hair but she doesn't smile; now that is indeed unusual.
 
Finally after almost two weeks, I see Junhyung again. Looks like he is doing good with Seuji. I'm glad Seuji hasn't found out that it's me though.
 
The day Junhyung took back his place, living under the same roof with Seuji, I started the plan I've been decided ever since Junhyung woke up from his coma.
 
With Hyunseung's help, I went under the knife. I cut my hair and changed the color; I changed my look so no one can recognize me except Hyunseung because he is the one who knows my secret. He also helped me to get the recommendation to the audition of this record label.
 
This is the only way I can keep my promise.
 
I still love her. I want to make sure she is alright and with this way, working under the same record label with her, I can see her almost everyday, making sure that she is alright.
 
I know I've been acting like a total idiot, doing this far for one girl.
 
My heart broke into pieces when I left her that day, knowing that I will never hear her beautiful voice call over me again.
 
She probably has forgotten about me. It's not like she is going to remember me though although I had my hope high when she rushed to find me on the day I passed the audition.
 
When I saw her face on the audience seat, my heart skipped a beat. After reminding myself that she would not recognize me with the new face, I sang the song I wrote with Hyunseung, focusing on her face in my mind.
 
She said my voice reminded her of someone but I guessed it's not me. It must be Junhyung, not Jaesoon.
 
I will never be her everything since the start. Looking her and Junhyung just now, I think I didn't make a wrong decision.
 
They look good together, don't they?
 
Time flies by as we finish the rehearsal and wait for the event to start. Since I get the last turn to perform, I'm allowed to watch the performance from the audience seat.
 
I bump onto someone's shoulder accidentally. I turn around to apologize to the person, "Ah, sorry, I didn-"
 
My eyes widen when I see Junhyung is the one who I bumped onto. For a moment I forget that he won't recognize me now.
 
"I'm sorry," he nods slightly to me with a polite smile. "I'm trying to find a good spot to watch the performance."
 
"S-Sure," I clear my throat awkwardly and put my hands inside my pockets. I take a glance of him but his eyes are fixed on the stage, waiting for someone to start the performance.
 
"My wife said I must watch a performance from someone named Sirius," he suddenly says. "She said his voice is beautiful and reminds her to my twin brother."
 
"Eh?"
 
Did I just hear what I think he said?
 
Seuji remembers me?
 
Junhyung turns to me and he frowns, "Have we met before? You sound familiar to me..."
 
"N-No. It's my first time to meet you," I take a step backward carefully, covering my mouth with the back of my right hand. "E-Enjoy your time then. I need to go somewhere now."
 
I turn around and try to get out from the crowd but a hand suddenly catches my wrist. Junhyung follows my steps and stops me, dragging me out from the crowd without a word.
 
"I know it's you," he releases his grip on me. "Jaesoon."
 
Even though my heart is actually beating faster, I try to control my heartbeat. "Jaesoon? Who is that? I think you mistaken me with someone else."
 
How did he know that I'm his twin brother?
 
"I don't know why you changed your face but you can't change your voice, Jaesoon," he states firmly. "That gesture, covering your mouth with your back hand, it's your favorite gesture if you don't realize it."
 
I'm speechless because of his explanation. I can still get out from this condition.
 
"I'm sorry but I think I'm not the person you're looking for," I mutter. "I need to go somewhere now so if you-"
 
"Stop lying," he cuts in with sadness in his eyes. "I'm your twin, Jaesoon. I know it's you."
 
I clench my fists, still hoping that he will think that I'm not his missing twin but looks like the silence just assures him more that I am indeed the one he is looking for.
 
"Seuji remembers everything. I forced her to remember everything. She is looking for you, Jaesoon. For the whole week since Christmas, she asked my help to find you," Junhyung explains briefly. "Let's stop making Seuji to live on the lies we build, Jaesoon. I know the truth hurts sometimes but it's better than sweet lies."
 
"Jaesoon," Junhyung holds my shoulder so I look at his face directly, "she loves you."
 
"Enough," I toss his hand away. "She is your wife, Junhyung. Can you just stick with the plan?"
 
I can't run from this situation anymore so it's the best for me to admit it now. It's a good thing that Seuji is not here with us.
 
"Yes, she loved me once but for the whole year, the Junhyung she loves truly is you, not me," Junhyung tries to calm himself. "All she remembers is you. Junhyung who loved coffee. Junhyung who loved astronomy. Junhyung who gave her warm hugs. It's not me, Jaesoon."
 
"Then be the one she loves!" I snap at him. "I've done everything for your happiness with Seuji. Until this very moment, I just want you two to be happy together. Is it that difficult?!"
 
I'm glad that the performance has started so my voice is drown by the loud music. I stare at Junhyung with disappointment; what does he think I'm doing right now?!
 
"You sacrificed everything for me. You waited for me to wake up. Let me do something for you now, Jaesoon," Junhyung speaks out loud, trying to beat the loudness. "If you still think of me as your brother, please tell Seuji the truth."
 
"What kind of truth?" I hiss, fighting back the tears.
 
"Tell her you are the one who stayed with her all these times. Tell her that you are there for her," Junhyung suddenly grabs my collar. "Tell her that you love her."
 
"You're crazy," I push him away. "She is your wife, Junhyung. "Do you think she is only a doll to be given away?"
 
Without any warning, Junhyung punches my face with his right hand. I fall down to the ground but people are too focused on the performance that they don't realize the fight between me and Junhyung.
 
"That's for taking my wife then," Junhyung forces a grin on his face. "Your face is really hard. Did you go to a good doctor?"
 
Junhyung and his cynical joke.
 
I stand up carefully and he flicks my forehead with his fingers, causing me to throw my head back, "Aish!"
 
"I guess that's enough," Junhyung tucks his hands inside his pockets. "I have my revenge on my twin... who doesn't look like one now."
 
"Junhyung, I-" I try to complaint again but he interrupts my words quickly.
 
"Go, Jaesoon. Make Seuji happy," he smiles weakly to me. "Don't worry about me. I'm all good now. You know me, brother."
 
I clench my fists; our brotherhood is stronger than anyone can ever imagine.
 
Instead of giving him a hug, I ruffle his hair and smile, "Thank you, brother. I owe you one."
 
I leave him in the middle of the crowd, heading to the backstage. I need to clean my face because of his punch and prepare for my performance; I need to change something. It's a good thing I'm doing solo performance.
 
For an unknown reason, I know Junhyung is crying right now.
 
Why?
 
Because my tears also fall down even though I don't feel that I want to cry.
 
"Sirius!" Seuji squeaks when she sees my face right when I'm going to step on the stage. "What happened to your face? Did you fight with someone?"
 
"Seuji," I pat her head with a smile, "will you go and watch my performance with Junhyung?"
 
"Eh?" she blinks in confusion. "How did you know-"
 
I lean closer to kiss her forehead, the same way I always did to her when I acted as Junhyung, "Saranghae, Seuji."
 
Without waiting for her reply, I step up on the stage, sitting behind the piano. I take a deep breath before speaking to the microphone.
 
"This song is dedicated to someone really special for me. She is the reason I want to shine the brightest in the night like my name, Sirius, so I can always watch over her," I say as my eyes find Seuji is standing next to Junhyung.
 
"One night I made a promise to a star, to Sirius," I continue as a smile forms on my lips. "I promise that I will always love this girl, no matter what will happen. Even if my heart will break into pieces. Even if she will forget about me someday. Even if I'm not her everything."
 
I put my fingers on the piano tunes and whispers, "Because my heart is yours, Seuji."
 
After this song, I'm going to tell you everything you want me to say, Seuji.
 
I'm going to stay with her.
 
This is my promise to you.