☆3☆ Promise to Protect

Promise to a Star
★ October 7, 2013 ★
 
"Jaesoon!" a familiar voice greets me. He taps my shoulder before taking a seat in front of me. "You came earlier as usual."
 
"I think I've told you not to call me by that name, Hyunseung," I give him a deadly look.
 
"Ah, sorry, sorry, Junhyung," he laughs and gives me an apologetic smile. "Did you tell Seuji about this meeting?"
 
"Do you want to order now?" a waitress asks us politely. Hyunseung orders a seafood ramen while I only order for a cup of hot coffee, not feeling hungry at all.
 
"No," I answer his question after the waitress left. "She is at work now. Let's talk about business now."
 
"Okay, this new contract is similar with the previous one so...," Hyunseung hands me the contract, "...I can try to arrange it as your wish but are you sure you still want to continue it? With your handsome face, I'm sure enough that you can do so much better than working as ghostwriter."
 
"It's alright," I read the contract carefully. "I write lyrics, I earn money. Everything goes well."
 
"Tell me," Hyunseung takes the contract from me while the waitress comes over again to give me my order. "How long do you plan to stay like this?"
 
"Until the right moment," I answer him calmly, taking a sip of my hot coffee. "I will go to the hospital again tonight. Wish me luck if you want to know the answer."
 
"Look, you will end up hurting in the end. It's ridiculous for you to do all of these," he mutters with confusion in his eyes. "I know, I know. You've explained the reason for me before but there's nothing left for you in the end."
 
"Then nothing will do for me," I try not to raise my voice against him. I may look calm on the outside but my rage is actually filling my heart. "I have a promise for myself, Hyunseung. That I will always protect Seuji no matter what happens."
 
"It's one year already," Hyunseung shakes his head with sad expression. "I'm your friend. I will support you for your good but you've been sacrificing everything for one year now."
 
"Let's not talk about it," I stop the conversation. "Today I will go to an amusement park with Seuji. I don't want to fill my mind with complicated talk."
 
Hyunseung, being the good friend he always is, stops talking about it and begins to talk about the contract I just agreed with him.
 
He works for a music label and I am working as musical ghostwriter, a lyricist who is paid to write lyrics for singers but my lyrics are officially credited to other persons. Hyunseung has been helping me as the mediator between me and the singers.
 
We met in college four years ago. I dare to say that he is my only best friend who knows about what's going on in my life.
 
"Thank you, Hyunseung," I say when we have stepped out from the restaurant. "I don't know what I can do without you."
 
"Don't mind it," he pats my shoulder. "That's what friends are for, right? I'm leaving then. I need to meet the client now. Send my regard to Seuji."
 
I wave to him and then return to my house. I lock myself in the bedroom to create the new lyrics until Seuji returns from her work.
 
"I'm home," she storms inside the bedroom and lands a quick kiss on my cheek even before I reply her. She takes her clothes and rushes to the bathroom, "I'll get ready as soon as possible!"
 
She must be really happy that we can go to the amusement park today.
 
After around thirty minutes, she is ready to go. She looks really beautiful even though she barely uses make up. She gives me a bright smile while she is wearing her black cardigan before stepping in the car.
 
During our way to the amusement park, she talks about her work, about the new artist who will start her debut next month, about her friend who will get married in two months, and other random topics.
 
As soon as we arrive, Seuji drags me to the roller coaster. I know she loves this kind of attraction so I just smile because of her happy face.
 
"Ah," she turns to me with sad face. We are waiting in the line for our turns. "Oppa doesn't like this kind of ride, right?"
 
My eyes widen in surprise because of her question. She continues again, murmuring vividly, "Last year you didn't ride this attraction... but I wasn't alone. Hmm. Were we going with someone else, Oppa?"
 
Lucky enough the staff calls us to step up because it's our turn already. I shrug off the topic and tell her to enjoy the attraction.
 
After the roller coaster, I accompany her from one to another attraction. She never lets go of my hand, smiling and laughing because of the overflowing joy she is feeling.
 
"Ferris wheel!" she points the giant ferris wheel. "Oppa, do you remember we took a picture in front of the ferris wheel? I still have the picture in my photo album!"
 
I freeze on my stand when her smile slowly disappears. She pouts her lips and frowns, "Who took the picture from us? It's strange..."
 
"We asked a staff to take it for us, remember?" I interrupt her thought and hold her hand, leading her to the queue. "Come on, it's late already. We're going to have a dinner after this."
 
We take the ride and enjoy the night scenery. Once we are on the top of the ferris wheel, Seuji smiles because of the clear view of the starry sky.
 
"Uah! It's beautiful!" she chirps with excitement. She intertwines her fingers and closes her eyes; she is praying.
 
"I pray that we can celebrate our second anniversary in this amusement park again next year," she says and opens her eyes. She smiles sweetly to me, "Happy first anniversary, Junhyung Oppa."
 
I pull her into a tight hug. She returns my hug and whispers, "Saranghae, Junhyung Oppa."
 
Slowly but sure, I loosen my hug and kiss her forehead, "Saranghae, Seuji."
 
We hug each other in silence until the ferris wheel stops. I hold her hand and step out from the ride, leading her back to our car.
 
Suddenly my phone rings. As soon as I see my mother on the caller ID, I excuse myself from Seuji, telling her that I need to go to a restroom.
 
"Yes?" I pick the call. "I'm with Seuji right now. What is it?"
 
"He woke up!" my mother exclaims and I assume that she is crying. "He woke up! C-Can you come over here? He must be really happy to see you!"
 
"S-Sure...," I answer shortly. A mixed feeling between shock, excitement, and uneasy fill my heart in one time. "I'll arrive in one hour."
 
Without wasting another minute, I meet up with Seuji again, telling her to order food from her favorite restaurant because I have an important meeting with a friend.
 
"Be careful," Seuji says before closing the door. "I'll be waiting for you."
 
I nod slightly and drive away from our house, heading to the hospital. I did plan to visit the hospital tonight but I didn't expect my mother to give me the surprising news.
 
I rush to the ward quickly to find my parents are talking to the doctor. My mother rushes to hug me when she notices my presence, "He finally woke up after a year! Oh my, I'm so happy!"
 
"Can I see him?" I clear my throat nervously, looking at the doctor. He gives me a warm smile and nods, opening the door for me.
 
"He can't talk yet but he can hear you," the doctor explains to me as we step in the ward. "Your parents have talked to him and he gave a good reaction. Try to talk with him slowly. He still needs time to recover after a year coma."
 
"I understand," I stop when I reach the bed where he lays down weakly. His pupils shift, looking at me with no change on his expression.
 
"Hey," I force myself to smile. I guess it's time to tell him everything.
 
"Long time no see, Junhyung."