Chapter 9

Secrets

A/N: sorry for the late update again!! I am back in college and am a hell busy with my work now.... hopefully I can give you guys an update next week... but I can't promise that. Thank for all the wonderful comments!! I have actually thought of an ending for this fic but I guess most of you wouldn't like my ending because it will be sad (don't kill me), so I have also decided to write two endings for this fic - one happy and the other sad. Hope you guys enjoy this!

 

Chapter 9

 

As Yoona and Jessica were walking down the hallway, Sunny appeared all of a sudden.

 

“Yoona!” Sunny shouted to the dual walking down.

 

Yoona looked towards Sunny’s direction upon the call.

 

“Unnie, head down to the café. I will catch up with you later.” Yoona said to Jessica. The latter nodded and headed downstairs.

 

“Sunny-unnie, what’s up?” Yoona sensed that something bad was coming from Sunny. At least her aura said so.

 

“Yoona, I just had a meeting with the higher ups.” Sunny said as Yoona looked nervously at her, “They were originally planning to fire you.”

 

Yoona widened her eyes. No…

 

“Hey, don’t worry! I appealed for you, and so you are only going to be suspended for a month as of now.” Sunny said. Yoona sighed in relief.

 

“I am going to confiscate your badge and gun.” Yoona nodded. She took her badge and gun out and gave it to Sunny.

 

“Thanks Unnie, for always helping me out.” Yoona smiled. Sunny smiled too, and patted her head.

 

“You know? It feels weird to pat someone who is taller than me. It feels like I am the younger one here.” Sunny said and they both laughed, enjoying their sisterhood friendship, at least for the time being.

 

---

 

“Hey, did you wait long?” Yoona asked as she took a seat across Jessica’s. The latter shook her head and smiled.

 

“I got us both lattes if you don’t mind.”

 

“Not at all.” Yoona smiled. She loved latte for its creamy taste that blends well with coffee, “I didn’t know you like lattes too.”

 

“They are my favorite.” Jessica smiled, “so how are you lately?”

 

“Ha! Busy rescuing your as always.”

 

They both laughed. Jessica remembered the times when they were kids. She was always the nerd studying, while Yoona was the active one in sports. Bullying was an apparent thing in American schools, but to Yoona, it was never a problem. Jessica could not count how many times the girl saved her.

 

“Remember how Lucy and her gang used to team up against you?” Yoona said while laughing, “I can’t remember how many bruises I got from kicking their off!”

 

“Is that why you joined the police force?” Jessica asked while laughing, “so that you can constantly kick people’s ?”

 

“Maybe that’s why!” Yoona made a hysterical expression, “I am born to kickass!”

 

They laughed even more.

 

When they have finally calmed down, their latte were readied. Jessica went to take it from the counter and took a sip.

 

“But really, Yoona, thank you.” She turned serious, “Thank you for always being there for me.”

 

Yoona smiled, and took a sip of her latte.

 

“We will always be best friends right?” Jessica asked.

 

“Yeah… best friends…” Yoona feigned a smile.

 

Suddenly, Jessica’s phone ringed up. The caller ID reads: SooJung.

 

“Krystal!” Jessica said, “Sorry for not ringing you up, I was…”

 

“Hello Jessica.”

 

Jessica widened her eyes. The voice does not belong to Krystal; it was a masculine voice.

 

“Who are you?”

 

“Thanks for not recognizing me as the wrong person, Jessica. I will give you hint: we have met a few days ago.”

 

Jessica thought about that. Only one person came into her mind, and she hoped the voice was not his.

 

“Park Jin Young?”

Yoona almost spit her coffee out upon hearing the name Jessica said. She turned serious and looked at Jessica, in which the latter stared back at her with worry.

 

“And we have a winner!” Jin Young said in an uplifting manner, “Now, what should I give as a reward to you?”

 

“Where is Krystal?”

 

“Oh that’s a wonderful idea! I will tell you right away!” Jessica frowned upon Jin Young’s irritating voice. She did not find any of this funny at all. “She is with me right now.”

 

“What do you want?”

 

Jin Young let out a maniacal laugh; so sick that Jessica wanted to vomit.

 

“What do I want? You ask? You just ing ruined my life!” Jin Young shouted to her, “I want you to feel the same amount of pain as I did.”

 

“Please, leave Krystal out of this, I beg you.”

 

Jin Young let out another maniacal laugh.

 

“You are not the one who decides her fate.”

 

Jessica clenched her fist.

 

“I will do whatever you say, please, she’s innocent.”

 

“Now you got me interested.” Jin Young said. Jessica swore he was letting out a sly smirk, “I want you, Yuri, and your police friend to meet me at the same warehouse tomorrow noon.”

 

Jessica bit her lip.

 

“And if you call for help again, then be prepared to collect your sister’s body.”

 

“I swear, if you lay a finger on…”

 

“You are not in the position to negotiate with me, Jessica.”

 

Jessica slammed her fist in frustration.

 

“Remember our appointment, Jessica.” Then the line went dead.

 

Jessica slowly put her phone down and stared at it. As she continued to stare at it, drops of tears came out of her eyes.

 

“Jessica, please tell me what’s going on.” Yoona said as she held onto Jessica’s hand.

 

“He’s got my sister. He’s got Krystal.”

 

Yoona widened her eyes.

 

“He wants you, me, and Yuri to meet with him, in the same warehouse we were at yesterday.”

 

Yoona closed her eyes and frowned. She knew this just would not end as smoothly, and it also does not help to think that Sunny just confiscated her badge and gun.

 

“What are we going to do?”

 

Yoona inhaled and exhaled. She was calming her mind.

 

“Get back to Yuri’s room and we will discuss it with her. I need to make some special arrangements for this so I will go in after you.”

 

“We will be able to rescue Krystal right?”

 

“Yes. I assure you of this.” Yoona looked at Jessica with reassurance.

 

“Thanks Yoona.” Jessica let out forced smile headed out of the café.

 

Yoona looked as Jessica disappear from the distance back to the hospital. She fished out her phone and dialed a number.

 

“Seohyun.” She said, “Hey it’s me, I need your help with something.”

 

---

 

Seohyun was working diligently on her computer, until she received a phone call from Yoona, and everything turned around. As a little girl, she had learned about the rules, and how scary they can be when you violate them. So she would always play by the rules. But Yoona is telling her to do everything against that, and that was not what she grew up learning.

 

“It’s only a matter of what you value.” Yoona said to her, “Do you think of me as your best friend?” Of course she does, for god’s sake. But if everyone goes on about breaking the rules, then why do they even exist in the first place?

 

“That’s why they need people like us! The police!” Yoona told her, “But sometimes, the police are too incompetent, so people had to enforce the rules themselves.” Seohyun sighed and shook her head. She wondered why Yoona was even in the police force and did not end up being batman… or batwoman.

 

Seohyun was not keen on Yoona’s idea on rescuing, but it does seem like the girl knows more than her superiors. She rolled her eyes… Only for her best friend, and she will not do this ever again.

 

The use of police guns was way too risky, she told Yoona, and besides, she does not want to lose hers. She knew a local armory dealer near Brooklyn and they had all sorts of things needed. Seohyun was a sniper, and she was one of the best ones. She only did not become a field agent when the agency told her that they lack tech people, and she was the only one qualified. Then, she retired to only occasionally going into the shooting range.

 

But of course, her fascination with guns does not end here.

 

Seohyun went to an alley, and into a small convenient shop.

 

A young blonde man was tending the shop.

 

“Hey Jackson.”

 

The man looked towards her direction.

 

“Seohyun-ssi, how may I help you today?”

 

“Milkshake for zero, please.”

 

Jackson nodded.

 

“How may I help you today?”

 

It was their hidden code of honor. When a customer intends to buy armory, there tends to be a hidden code that the customer need to speak before the shop can officially sell armory. Milkshake for zero actually means M40, which was Seohyun’s favorite sniper rifle. It was a way to know the trustworthiness of the customer because the shop only sells armory to a limited amount of people that they trust who would not use armory for a bad cause. Seohyun was one of them. But just this once, she was going to break the rule.

 

“I need three desert eagles, each with two ammo packs, and nine hand grenades please.”

 

Jackson raised an eye.

 

“That many?”

 

“My friends want to practice some shooting and combat.”

 

“I see. Wait here Seohyun-ssi, I will get them for you.”

 

Seohyun breathed out a sigh of relief. She does not know how much she could hold on… lying was not her forte.

 

“There you go, Seohyun-ssi.” Jackson came out with the materials, “Three desert eagles, each with two ammo packs, and nine hand grenades.”

 

Seohyun smiled, and handed him the cash. He put them all in a backpack.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Are your friends really just practicing shooting?”

 

“What? You don’t trust your customers?”

 

“Just curious. Something about you seemed off today.”

 

“I have a question for you, Jackson” Seohyun said, “If your friend is in danger, and the only way to rescue him is to break all the rules, what will you do?”

 

Jackson pondered for a moment.

 

“Rules are made up by humans, and in a sense they are not perfect. By all means if I think it is right to rescue my friend, I will do it, and if I have to break all the rules, I will do it too.” Jackson smiled, “If anyone ask about our conversation today, I will deny everything we talked about.”

 

Seohyun smiled. Jackson was an understanding boy.

 

“Yeah… your boss probably wouldn’t let me do it.”

 

“Good luck Seohyun-ssi, all the best.” Jackson waved.

 

Seohyun walked out of the shop and swung her backpack to her shoulders. She walked to the hospital where Yoona told her to be.

 

She knocked on the door, and Yoona opened the door for her.

 

“Guys, meet Seohyun!” Yoona said to Yuri and Jessica

 

Seohyun bowed.

 

“I got you the stuff.”

 

Yoona looked at her and smiled.

 

“Thanks Seohyun.” She said.

 

“Have you decided on your plan, Unnie?”

 

Yoona sighed. “I am afraid, we will just have to charge in this time.”

 

“You will die if you do that.” Seohyun sighed, “I will back you guys up.”

 

“You Seohyun? I don’t want to drag you into this, you have no idea how dangerous…”

 

“Unnie, in case you were wondering who maintained that five hundred meter shooting record, it was me.”

 

Yoona’s jaw dropped.

 

“It… was you?”

 

“Yes, you probably didn’t think about it because I wasn’t a field agent, right?”

 

Yoona continued to stare at her. Wow… what an innocent face.

 

“I can be the sniper backing you guys up, if anything happens, I can tell you guys since I will have the whole area covered.”

 

Yoona nodded and smiled.

 

“Thanks Seohyun.”

 

“No problem, we are a team now. Let’s rest for tonight and prepare ourselves tomorrow.”

 

The team nodded and prepared themselves for the battle tomorrow.