Chapter 2

Secrets

 

Chapter 2

 

The nights have grown especially dark in the small alleys of New York City. The city is still relatively crowded but most shops have closed, which was a good thing for the two girls who have been running for their lives since the last two hours or so. The dark can cover their shadows and traces better than sunlight. After all, they don’t need any more additional attention.

 

Yuri had been holding Dr. Jung’s hand from the beginning, because the poor doctor had tripped multiple times while running along.

 

“Dr. Jung, you may want to grab something comfortable” Yuri said, looking at Dr. Jung’s white coat and high heels, “I suspect we will be running again next morning or so.”

 

Dr. Jung nodded and continued to follow Yuri. The taller girl climbed up to the window and splashed it with her hand. Inside the window was an outlet store that sells clothes and shoes.

 

Perfect.

 

“C’mon,” Yuri said gave her hand to Dr. Jung, “Give me your hand.”

 

Dr. Jung frowned, “We shouldn’t be doing this. I have my credit card ____”

 

“Dr. Jung, there is no time to spare, besides if they can track my presence in the hospital, they can always track your credit card”

 

“Should I throw my wallet away then?” Dr. Jung said in an icy cold tone

 

“Keep it for now, we may need to use it for something else.” Yuri said, “Please give me your hand, we need to get changed.”

 

They climbed into the store. It was dark, but the streetlights from the outside gave them a tint of light. They relied on this bit of light for vision, which was rather uncomfortable. They strolled through the store, looking for sneakers and comfortable clothes. When the both of them got what they wanted, they went to the fitting rooms.

 

Tonight, they will no longer be living their normal lives anymore.

 

---

 

Dr. Song Seung Heon was rather shocked when he heard a scream from the room nearby. He called the police when he discovered what was inside a room. Two dead bodies, one unknown man, and the other he recognized as the new transfer doctor from another hospital, his name was Jang Wooyoung right?

 

When the police and the forensics came in, he was taken into questioning. He understands this perfectly, since he was one of the first witnesses of the scene.

 

“Hello Dr. Song, I am Yoona Im, from the CIA.” She welcomed him with a handshake, “Would you kindly follow me to this way so we can ask you some questions?”

 

Seung Heon obeyed. Yoona brought him a little further from the room, away from the scene, but still viewable from the public. It was a common rule of the police to do that, to prevent potential danger when interrogating someone.

 

“Dr. Song, when did patient Yuri first came here?”

 

“Around eight hours ago I think.” Yoona wrote those down in her notes

 

“Which doctor have you appointed to Yuri?”

 

“Dr. Jung. Jessica Jung.”

 

“When did you appoint her to be Yuri’s doctor?”

 

“Two hours ago I guess?”

 

Yoona nodded, and continued on her notes, “And how did you came to the scene?”

 

“I was about to get some food from the cafeteria, then I heard a scream from the room. I looked and I saw a door opened, then I walked into the room. Then, I saw the two bodies…”

 

“Did you witness how these two died?”

 

“No, I was up in my office before I came down.”

 

“Did you know where Yuri Kwon went?”

 

“No.”

 

“Did anything happen before this? Anything significant?”

 

Dr. Song looked down, “Yes. I think this happened half an hour ago. I think Yuri held Dr. Jung as hostage.”

 

“Okay, can you describe in detail what happened?”

 

Precisely not, because I was not in the scene. But I heard that a police was chasing after Yuri, and she held Dr. Jung as hostage. Then Wooyoung smacked her in the back and she collapsed.”

 

“Great.” Yoona nodded, “Do you know where Dr. Jung is now?”

 

Speaking of which, where did that woman go? Seung Heon shook his head. “She left my office some time ago, I don’t know where she is now.”

 

“Okay.” Yoona closed her notebook; “We will be contacting you in the near future for the purpose of this investigation.” She shooked hands with Seung Heon again. “Thank you for your cooperation, Dr. Song.”

 

“Erm… No problem.” Seung Heon scratched his head, and watched as Yoona walked out and back to the investigating scene.

 

---

 

The two girls walked silently, hiding themselves in the New York City darkness. They were no longer wearing white coats or patient clothes, but sneakers with jeans and shirts.

 

“Dr. Jung, can you grab some cash from your account?” Yuri asked, “We will be needing them for tomorrow.”

 

Dr. Jung ignored her and walked on.

 

“Dr. Jung please, you have to trust me, I am also a victim too.”

 

Dr. Jung stopped on her tracks and said, “Won’t they track us down then?”

 

“Yes, that’s why as soon as you withdrawn the money, we will be leaving this place.”

 

Dr. Jung sighed. “Fine…” she went to the nearest Citibank ATM and withdrawn all the money in her checking account. “Here… that’s all I have”

 

“Thanks.” Yuri shoved the money into her pocket. They re walking again, only this time, they were a little faster because they need to get out of the area.

 

Once they were out and in a different area, they started walking in their normal pace again.

 

“I am sorry I dragged you into this.” Yuri started. It was awkward, considering a few hours ago she attempted to stab the woman beside her.

 

Dr. Jung did not say anything for a moment.

 

“Those people were trying to kill me. That syringe he was holding was a poison. They were planning to inject that into my body.” Yuri tried to explain.

 

Then suddenly, Dr. Jung stopped on her tracks, “Tell me what the hell is going on, and who are you.”

 

“I am equally as puzzled as you are, Dr. Jung.” Yuri said, “I have no idea how I ended up in the hospital or any clue about who I am.”

 

“You just murdered two people in front of me! Don’t act innocent!” Dr. Jung was angry.

 

“Only because they were trying to kill us. You saw what happened when one of them tried to strangle you!”

 

Dr. Jung calmed herself down and look away. “Sorry… it’s just all of this happened too sudden and now… I am on an escape…”

 

“I am sorry…” Yuri apologized again, “whatever happened, happened, and we have to move on.” She put her arm around Dr. Jung, attempting to sooth her back.

 

“I have a sister, I need to call her now, to tell her that I am okay…”

 

“No.” Yuri said, “Any types of electronics can be easily tracked. We will find a way to contact your sister tomorrow.” Dr. Jung nodded, and handed Yuri her phone. Yuri immediately dumbed it in the nearest trashcan she found.

 

“How do you know… all of these?”

 

“What?”

 

“These devices being tracked and what not?” Dr. Jung asked

 

Yuri hung her head low, thinking. Truthfully, she had no idea why she knew all these things, let alone those combat skills. She had no idea how she knew all of these. She could not recall anyone who taught them to her.

 

“I don’t know…”

 

Then they stopped walking and saw an abandoned warehouse in front of them.

 

“Let’s stay here tonight.” Yuri said, “We need to get ready for tomorrow.”

 

Dr. Jung nodded again, and followed Yuri up the warehouse. Inside it, there were some old furniture and electronics. There were the sounds of rats and water drips, but there wasn’t a choice for the two people who are looking not to be tracked.

 

On the corner of Yuri’s eyes, she saw a few blankets, and an old couch.

 

“Let’s go to sleep” Yuri said, “You can sleep on the couch, I will sleep on the floor.” She grabbed two blankets and handed one to Dr. Jung.

 

“Thank you.” Dr. Jung said, “And I am sorry for yelling at you just now.”

 

“That’s alright,” Yuri said, “We have tomorrow to go for, let’s go to sleep now Dr. Jung.”

 

“Call me Jessica.”

 

“Okay. Good night Dr… I mean Jessica.”

 

“Good night Yuri.”

 

With that, the warehouse became silent under the shining moonlight.

 

--- 

A/N: Please do leave comments around. I want to know how all of you think of this fic so far.