Chapter 12 - Sad Ending

Secrets

A/N: Hey guys, so this will be the original ending I thought of... yes, it is sad... but before you hate me, please read my plot twist in the following chapter that will be posted next week! The reason for this sad ending was because of the loss of someone whom I loved dearly two years ago. I hope that, to people who have suffered similar losses, reading this fanfic can let you understand that you are not alone, and there is always someone who can share the equal amount of pain with you. I hope you all find comfort through this fanfic :) As always, enjoy!

 

Chapter 12 – The Sad Ending

 

Yuri turned to the man who was still grabbing on her leg. What a stubborn man, she thought. She pulled him up as a human shield.

 

Jin Young opened fire, and he shot the man instead. The man became lifeless, not moving a single muscle. Yuri finally jerked the man off of him.

 

There was a gun located right in front of her, she crawled her way there and grabbed it. But before she could stand up and shoot Jin Young, the latter shot her stomach.

 

She stumbled upon the impact, and felt a wound opening up from her body. Blood was oozing out, and she looked down to see it. She clutched the wound and cursed in pain.

 

“Put down your weapon!” Yoona said as she raised her gun and rushed into the scene.

 

Jin Young laughed hysterically and pointed his gun to Yoona.

 

“Shoot her, Yuri, and you will regain my trust.”

 

Yoona eyed the girl.

 

“There is no turning back Yuri. It is your fate to meet me, and become an assassin. This is all meant to be.”

 

Yuri closed her eyes and breathed. Her breath is becoming short, thanks to the blood loss.

 

She pointed her gun at Yoona.

 

“Yuri! What are you doing?” Yoona shouted in horror, and she, too, pointed her gun at Yuri.

 

Yuri gave her a wink.

 

Just listen to me! She communicated.

 

Yoona had a questioning look.

 

“He’s right, this is my fate, and there is no turning back for me now.” Yuri said sadly.

 

Jin Young smiled; he is winning.

 

“That is why, I am going to end it now.”

 

Upon saying that, Yuri turned her gun to a surprised Jin Young and shot right through his stomach. Yoona finished him with a shot right through the chest, hitting the vital organ. But Jin Young was also quick enough to make a shot right through Yuri’s stomach before he fell down and became lifeless.

 

Yuri also collapsed to the floor upon the shot. She could feel her new wound opening up. Blood was once again oozing out from it, and this time, she felt like her blood loss reached the maximum capacity. She felt so tired and dizzy.

 

“Yuri!” Yoona said as she rushed to the fallen figure. She took off her jacket and placed it on Yuri’s neck, hoping to stop the bleeding.

 

“Yuri! Stay with me.” Yoona placed Yuri’s arm on her shoulder, and together they limped out of the warehouse for the last time.

 

---

 

Outside the warehouse, a nervous Jessica was pacing back and forth. She did not want to assume the worst that could happen to Yuri, the girl she loved so dearly.

 

“Unnie! She will be fine.” Krystal reassured.

 

But Jessica did not like reassurances; she wanted to see the true physical evidence.

 

The door swung open, and out came two figures limping slowly out. Jessica smiled when she saw that the two girls were alive, she immediately hugged the girl.

 

Yuri, using her free hand, hugged Jessica back weakly and smiled. She rested her head on Jessica’s shoulder.

 

“Jessica, we need to hurry!” Yoona interrupted the reunion.

 

Jessica broke the hug and turned to Yoona. Then she stepped back and looked back at Yuri.

 

Oh My God…

 

Blood was oozing out from her stomach. Judging from doctor’s point of view, Jessica knew this was bad, because Yuri has probably experienced severe blood loss already.

 

“Krystal get into the car now!” Jessica shouted, “We need to get to the hospital quick!”

 

---

 

They had been on the road for quite some time. Yoona was driving, while Krystal sat besides her. All these time, Jessica was trying her best to stop Yuri’s wounds from bleeding.

 

“I need a first aid kit!”

 

“Unnie we don’t have a first aid kit with us now!”

 

“Damn it!” Jessica cursed.

 

No matter how much pressure she applied, the wound would not stop bleeding. Damn her degree on medical school! She could not even do the simplest thing to save the one she loved.

 

Yuri, on the other hand, was looking out the window all the time with a tranquil expression. It looked as if she was not injured at all, but the truth was, she was already too numb to feel any pain.

 

She was so tired; in fact, she has never been this tired in her life before. Maybe because of the blood loss? Maybe her encounter with Jin Young? Maybe when she was thinking about Jessica? Maybe… she was coming to an end…

 

Her mind raced her back to the memories of her past. She thought of those victims she killed, how Jin Young trained her, and what happened just now at the warehouse. It seemed as if time passed by so fast when everything is played back on her mind. Then she thought of Tiffany, and she smiled. Those were some happy memories.

 

Her eyes wondered to Jessica, the girl whom she met just a few weeks ago. Jessica belonged to a special place in her heart; it was more than just pure friendship. As she saw the girl trying her best to stop the bleeding, she smiled again. The girl was just so cute when she was completely focused on doing one thing.

 

“Jessica…” Yuri called out weakly.

 

Jessica bolted her head upon hearing her name.

 

“Yes?”

 

Yuri just smiled at her, albeit weakly. They stared at each other for a while. Jessica could not make off the expression of Yuri’s face; she was suppose to be painful, why is she smiling?

 

“Thank you.” Yuri finally said.

 

“For what?”

 

“For… everything.”

 

Tears begin to drip down on Jessica’s bloodied hands.

 

“Why are you saying thank you all of a sudden?” She asked, even though she knew the answer.

 

“These… past few weeks… have been the happiest of my life.” Yuri managed to speak. She was getting weaker after every second.

 

“Glad to know.” Jessica smiled and wiped her tears, “Once you get well, I will bring you to some good places to eat.”

 

“I’m afraid… I can’t do that with you.”

 

Jessica bit her lip.

 

“You will… I will make sure you do that.”

 

Yuri smiled at her. She tried her best effort to lift her hand up and lightly touched Jessica’s face. Blood smeared all over Jessica’s cheeks, but she was not concerned at all. Jessica took her hand and caressed it.

 

“I am tired… Jessica”

 

“No! Don’t go to sleep yet, you still have a lot to do.”

 

“I am tired of this damned life, tired of everything. I have committed so many sins that no river can wash me clean.”

 

Jessica bit her lip.

 

“What about me?”

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

“You can’t just leave me behind like this! It’s not fair for me!”

 

Yuri smiled, and the silence angered Jessica.

 

“Yuri! Don’t leave me behind, please…” Jessica cried. Tears ran freely down her cheeks.

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

“Stop apologizing!”

 

“If only we have met under different circumstances… “

 

Jessica was crying so hard that her eyes became red.

 

“I have to go…”

 

“Please… don’t go…”

 

“I cannot live without you!”

 

“You have to live on… for me.”

 

Yuri used the last bit of her strength to stoke the girl’s cheek.

 

“To die by your side is… the happiest moment of my life, because only in front of you, I can be the real Yuri.” She smiled.

 

“I love you.”

 

After saying that, she slowly closed her eyes. Her body breathed the last bit of air and exhaled one last time. Her lone hand fell limp from Jessica’s cheek.

 

Jessica widened her eyes.

 

“Yuri…” Jessica shook Yuri’s body, “Yuri, you can’t sleep now! You still have a lot to do!”

 

In front of them, Krystal was silently crying. Yoona did not cry, but she was angry how she, herself, as a police officer could not save her friend. She felt tears on her eyes, but she tried to blink them away. When she failed to do, one lone tear fell from her eye.

 

“WAKE UP NOW!” Jessica continued shaking the body. But she knew Yuri was long gone, ever since she breathed her last bit of air.

 

Her shaking stopped, and she soon cried out loud. Jessica leaned onto Yuri’s neck and continued to cry.

 

The group silently cried together, for the injustice of the world, and for the lost of a friend and lover, whom they will never forget.

 

---

 

A month later…

 

“Krystal, you ready?” Jessica called from downstairs.

 

“Yes Unnie!”

 

Krystal went downstairs. Her sister looked up to her and shook her head.

 

“What took you so long Krystal?”

 

“Sorry…” Krystal said sheepishly. Jessica shook her head again and walked to her sister to examine her clothing. Krystal was wearing a black blazer with a white shirt underneath, and below, she was wearing a black pair of business trousers.

 

“Ahh… something’s dirty here.” Jessica proceeded to get a cloth from the kitchen to wipe off the dirt from Krystal’s clothes.

 

“You can’t be dirty at times like this. This is your first job interview!”

 

“Yes Unnie…” Krystal sighed.

 

“There you go!” Jessica fixed her coat, “That’s how you should go for an interview.”

 

Krystal looked down at her clothes.

 

“Unnie, are you going to visit Yuri later?” Krystal asked out of the blue. She knew well what the answer is.

 

“Of course.”

 

“You really do miss her.”

Jessica smiled sadly. She recalled the day when Yuri died in her arms, how devastated that was, and how she missed her even until now. A month later after that happened, they have cremated Yuri’s body and buried her in a beautiful cemetery in Long Island. At least she could experience the peace now, Jessica thought.

 

Jessica quitted her job as a doctor ever since, and she opened a café instead in Long Island, where she also moved there. She’d always had a thing for coffee. As for Yoona, the girl was subject to some investigation and questioning from her department. But she, too, quitted her job as a police officer. Jessica wondered what the girl is doing right now.

 

“Goodbye Unnie!” Krystal waved, “I really have to go now!” She packed her bag, gathered her stuff and left. Jessica waved back, and kissed her sister before she leaves the house.

 

Jessica sat back on the living room, and looked from outside the window. Today is a Sunday, which means her café is going to open a little later. She watched as the beautiful weather of Long Island came to her view.

 

If only Yuri could see this too…

 

Then there was a ring from the doorbell.

 

Jessica walked forward and opened the door.

 

“I am so sorry!” A longhaired girl came in.

 

“Took you long enough Yoona.” Jessica eyed her.

 

“I am so sorry!!” Yoona said as she fixed her hair, “my race ended a little late…”

 

Yoona became a professional racer ever since she quitted being a police officer that day. She always liked the thrill in racing. But with her rising fame, she had been busier than ever, and Jessica understood it.

 

“It’s okay.” Jessica said and took her jacket, “C’mon, let’s go now.”

 

Yoona nodded and followed the girl out, where she drove Jessica to the one and only place that could remind her of love…

 

---

 

Jessica walked up the hill, until she has reached the place where she would see jars of urns that belong to the people who lived in the past. Yoona, unfortunately, received an urgent call from her manager and had to leave abruptly. But Jessica, as always, understood. Besides, she wanted to spend some time alone anyways.

 

Jessica opened the glass door of where Yuri’s cremated ashes were placed, and she put a flower besides the jar. She closed it, and stepped back.

 

“Hey Yuri.” Jessica said, “How’s your life on the other side been?”

 

But of course, she did not expect an answer.

 

She then went on and talked about how Krystal was going to have her first job interview with SM Entertainment, one of the top entertainment companies based in Korea. She told Yuri how the girl did not dress properly and how sloppy she was, but in time, she will learn the way to do business.

 

Then she went on to talk about the café, how it has been busier lately because more customers started to notice the café. And Yoona, she became a professional racer. She became prettier now, with her longer, auburn and wavy hair. She can definitely find herself a nice boyfriend… or girlfriend. She smiled. Everything was fine so far, except…

 

“I miss you.” Jessica finally said. She touched the glass door.

 

“I came here to see you, but I couldn’t get over the fact that you are gone.” She said, “It’s been a month, but it’s just so hard for me to move on.”

 

Jessica cried. She reminisced those moments when she was with Yuri.

 

“I don’t want you to exist in my memories anymore, Yuri.” Jessica looked up to the ash jar, “can you come back… please?”

 

Just then, a strong wind blew towards her way, and Jessica swore she felt someone’s hands on her shoulder. But when she turned around, there was no one.

 

Then she got a headache, and she out.

 

---

 

Jessica was standing at a garden. She looked around, it seemed like she was at a mountain where couples would spend their having picnic there.

 

“Hey Jessica.”

 

Jessica turned around. She could not have mistaken this person: she was Yuri.

 

“Yuri?”

 

Yuri was wearing a simple white shirt, with a pair of blue, skinny jeans. She had her long, black, wavy hair down, and her hands on her pockets. She looked perfect, so perfect, that Jessica was on the verge of crying again.

 

Yuri smiled, and casually walked to Jessica. The latter looked around.

 

“Where is this place?”

 

Yuri looked around.

 

“This is where I’d like to imagine myself to be in.” Yuri looked at her, “I guess you can call this peace?”

 

Jessica nodded. It was beautiful.

 

“You are beautiful.” She blurted out.

 

“Thank you. You look beautiful too.” Yuri said.

 

Jessica blushed. It’s funny how Yuri still has the same effect on her. She walked to the girl, and hugged her.

 

“I… miss you.” Jessica cried on Yuri’s chest. Yuri hugged her back.

 

They broke off the hug a while later, and Yuri stared deeply into Jessica’s eyes.

 

“I miss you too.” Yuri said, and she leaned in to capture Jessica’s lips. They broke off a while later.

 

“I want to come with you, Yuri.”

 

Yuri shook her head.

 

“Jessica, I’m sorry, you cannot come with me.”

 

Jessica looked up to Yuri.

 

“Why?”

 

“You still have a long way to go.”

 

“I don’t care! I want to come with you!” Jessica hugged the girl again, hoping that she can trap the girl.

 

“Jessica, you cannot come with me,” Yuri the latter’s back, “because if you do, you will not be able to see the others again.”

 

Jessica kept her arms around Yuri’s waist.

 

“When I left that day, I was sad, not because of death.” Yuri sighed, “But because I was about to leave the ones I care behind. Mostly you.”

 

“I don’t want to leave you, at all, and if circumstances were given, I would never leave you.” Yuri continued to Jessica’s back, “If you leave with me now, you won’t ever see Yoona again, or Krystal, or your family.”

 

Jessica broke the hug off and sniffed.

 

“I didn’t save Krystal for you to leave her.” Yuri smiled and patted Jessica’s head, “I saved her, so that you two can be together.”

 

Jessica looked down. She knew Yuri was right.

 

“But will I ever see you again?”

 

“Silly.” Yuri laughed, “I am always with you, just invisible.”

 

“Invisible?”

 

“Yeah. I will be able to see you, but you won’t be able to see me.”

 

Jessica smiled, and wiped her tears away.

 

“You should go back now, Jessica.”

 

Jessica looked into Yuri’s eyes once more.

 

“If I call your name, will you answer?”

 

“Of course!”

 

Jessica smiled one last time, and turned away from her.

 

“See you again, Yuri.”

 

---

 

Jessica came back to the place she was once at, and she looked around to see the same jar of ashes above. She smiled.

 

“Oh my god! I am so sorry! Jessica!” She heard a voice, and the next thing she saw was Yoona rushing in.

 

“My manager called me into this urgent meeting and we just finished it. I am so sorry! I know today is special…” Yoona said in a rush while catching her breath.

 

“Hey Yoona!” Jessica cut her off, “It’s okay.”

 

Yoona looked at her quizzically, breathing hard.

 

“Just… breath… okay?”

 

Yoona nodded slowly, and calmed herself down. She walked towards the jar of ash and stared at it.

 

“Hey old friend. How’s it been?”

 

But before she could say any further, she felt Jessica grabbing her hand. She looked to the side, and saw Jessica leaning her head to her shoulder. Her heart pounded quickly. She wondered if Jessica could feel her heart beat.

 

They stayed silent for a while, before Jessica broke off the hold.

 

“Sorry…” Jessica said, “I just can’t help it.”

 

“Oh no! It’s… it’s perfectly fine…” Yoona stuttered.

 

“It feels perfect just to be alive, and see the people I like.” Jessica turned to Yoona and smiled. The latter turned around and blushed. She silently hoped that Jessica does not see her tomato red face.

 

“You wanna go grab coffee afterwards? At my place?” Jessica asked.

 

“S-sure!” Yoona responded almost immediately.

 

They walked out of the memorial place and out in the greenish area full of grass. The fresh green grass reminded Jessica of a new life; a new life that she anticipated.

 

“You know,” Jessica said as she was casually walking with Yoona, “you look better with long wavy hair style.”

 

Yoona smiled.

 

“I always look good.”

 

“No… long hair suites you better.” Jessica said, “Brown looks great, but I dare you try dying it blonde.”

 

Yoona eyed her.

 

“Nah… blonde isn’t my style.”

 

This time, Jessica eyed her back.

 

“We will see about that then. Race you to the car!” Jessica sped off with a dash towards where Yoona’s car was parked.

 

“Hey! Not fair! You started earlier than I did!” Yoona delayed her response for a moment, before she ran off chasing the girl.

 

Jessica smiled with the anticipation of a new life; a new hope to remind her the purpose of sacrifices and sufferings she endured in the past. She is ready to carry on this hope, for Yuri, for Krystal and Yoona, and most importantly for herself.

 

---