Chapter 3

Secrets

Chapter 3

 

Today was a sunny day, and they were at a grass field. She was sitting there and Yuri was sleeping soundly on her lap. The girl was gently her hair, as if she was a baby.

 

“I wish this can last forever.” The girl sighed, “if only we are in this job…”

 

Yuri opened her eyes, and sat up. She turned and stared at the beautiful girl in front of her. “If you were not in this job, you probably wouldn’t have met me.”

 

The girl stared at Yuri. “Ahh… true.”

 

“Do you regret meeting me then?”

 

“Of course not!” The girl yelped.

 

“Then quit complaining.” Yuri said as she lied back down on the girl’s lap, “what’s done is done, there’s no turning back now.”

 

There was silence. Then the girl began Yuri’s hair again.

 

“Yuri… if one day,” the girl swallowed a lump on , “if one day, I got trapped and couldn’t manage to get out and finish the mission…”

 

Yuri opened her eyes again, and sat up.

 

“I want you to move on, and don’t think about recuing me.”

 

“I am not leaving you behind.” Yuri said, staring at the girl, “No matter what.”

 

“Yuri, I want you to live on.”

 

“Don’t be selfish. You know I cannot possibly live without you.”

 

“Please…”

 

“Tiffany,” Yuri cupped the girl’s face, “Without you, there is no purpose in my life. If the same thing happens to me in the future, what will you do?”

 

“I will definitely rescue you!”

 

“Exactly, now it’s not fair to tell me that I cannot do the same as you will do.”

 

Tiffany hung her head low.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“Shhh…” Yuri placed a finger on Tiffany’s mouth, “Let’s enjoy our time before the boss calls on us again.” She placed a kiss on Tiffany’s lips.

 

Those soft and tasty lips that she will never forget…

 

---

 

Yuri opened her eyes and found herself staring at the ceiling. At the corner of her eyes, she saw a ray of sunlight shining from a broken window.

 

She stood up and looked below. The streets were rather empty, meaning that it’s probably still early in the morning. She looked around her, and saw a blond girl sleeping soundly on an old couch.

 

Who is Tiffany? She thought and looked back to the window instead.

 

The blond stirred up, and then yawned and stretched. She opened her eyes, only to find her back aching.

 

That hurts…

 

“Good morning, Jessica.”

 

Jessica turned her head to the voice.

 

“Morning…” Jessica yawned again, “how was your sleep last night?” She asked while stretching her body again.

 

“It’s alright, nothing much.”

 

Jessica nodded. She should have slept on the floor, maybe then she wouldn’t have suffered from back pain, but it surely would not be as comfortable.

 

“You alright there?” Yuri asked

 

“Back pain…” Jessica said, “Result from sleeping on the couch.”

 

“Let me give you a massage.” Yuri said

 

“No, it’s not necessary…”

 

“It’s alright, I don’t mind.” Yuri said, and she sat down on the couch behind Jessica.

 

If Yuri had been a professional neck massager, Jessica would have gone to her every week to get a massage. It was so comfortable that Jessica can feel the sleepiness crawling back to her head. Her backache was almost gone a few minutes later. Jessica closed her eyes and breathed in the scent of those hands. How nice~

 

“Feeling better?”

 

“Yeah.” Jessica snapped her eyes open, “Thanks Yuri.” She let the latter get off the couch.

 

“Jessica,” Yuri said in a serious tone, “I think we need to get going now.”

 

“Okay,” Jessica nodded, “Where do you suggest we start looking then?”

 

“Let’s start off with the garage you guys found me in.”

 

---

 

“We were unable to contact Dr. Jessica Jung, her phone seems to be dead and we received a call from her sister saying that she wasn’t home last night.”

 

“What about the patient, Yuri?” Yoona asked.

 

“Nope. We don’t seem to have her phone either. Her address was fake too.”

 

“Thanks Seohyun, I will handle this from now on.” Yoona smiled at the girl, “Give me their profiles will you?”

 

“Sure.” Seohyun handed her the files and left her room. Once she was out, Yoona opened the orange file, which consists of Dr. Jung’s profile.

 

Jessica Jung

 

It has been a while since Yoona last saw the name, and it reminded her of those years when she was a transfer student in High school. Jessica introduced herself to her and then, they were best friends in no time. They hung out almost everyday. In fact, best friends were an understatement for Yoona, because she had always thought of Jessica more than that. She loved her. But she kept her feelings private in fear that the friendship they shared would break.

 

When high school finally ended, Jessica went to Stanford for pre-med, then later to Columbia for medical school, while she herself went to NYU for applied psychology. All these years, they have lost contact of each other after high school, but her feelings remained the same. The very name she yearned for, appeared in front of her after so many years.

 

I will find you, no matter what.

 

Suddenly there was a ring on her phone.

 

“Yoona.” It was Seohyun, “We were able to retrieve the security camera footage.”

 

“Great, send them to me now.”

 

Yoona her computer and checked her email. She clicked on the file and opened it. There it was, the footage of a taller girl, grabbing the hand of a shorter girl wearing a white coat, running away from the scene. Yoona’s eyes widened.

 

She called Seohyun again.

 

“Seohyun,” Yoona said, “please call for a meeting now, this is about the hospital case. I think Dr. Jung has been kidnapped.”

 

---

 

“That should be it.” Jessica sighed, “That should be the garage they found you in.”

 

Yuri climbed over the yellow tapes blocking the entrance. It was nothing but an old garage. Torn walls, filled with the smell of gasoline. She did not recognize this place at all.

 

She walked around and around, trying to see if there was anything she could remember. Nothing came into her mind.

 

“Do you remember how you ended up being here?” Jessica asked

 

Yuri shook her head. She walked around again and found drawer. She walked towards it and saw something sticking out from it on the floor. It looks like a piece of paper, but when she pulled it out, it was a photo.

 

Tiffany

 

It was photo of two girls, one of them whom she recognizes as herself, the other one was Tiffany. They were smiling, with arms around each other’s shoulders.

 

Who is she?

 

Thud!

 

Yuri felt a sharp pain on her left shoulder blade and collapsed.

 

!

 


“Oh my god Yuri! Are you okay?”

 

“It’s sniper! Get down!”

 

Jessica ran to Yuri and grabbed her hand. Yuri looked around, and found a door.

 

“C’mon, let’s get out of here.”

 

They exited the room as quick as they could, with Yuri wrapping her injured arm around Jessica. Once they exited, they saw a man standing, as if waiting for them.

 

“Well, well, well, … who is that we have here Yuri?” The man said with a mischievous grin.

 

Yuri clutched her shoulder and whispered, “stay behind me, Jessica.” Jessica responded by hiding behind Yuri.

 

“You’d think, you could hide from us?” the man said.

 

“Who are you?”

 

“What? You don’t remember me? Looks like Taecyeon hit you hard on your head. You honestly don’t remember Chansung whom you used to tease during your trainee days?” the man said.

 

Chansung? That sounds familiar…

 

“Jessica, when you get the chance, run for your life. Don’t look back.” Yuri whispered to Jessica, who stood behind her.

 

“I am not leaving you behind!” Jessica whispered back.

 

“I have been waiting for this my whole life. Waiting to stab you with my own hands.” Chansung approached forward, and drew his samurai sword out from his back.

 

Yuri and Jessica moved backwards, until they touched a wall. Then Chansung stopped and smiled. He slashed his sword towards Yuri.

 

“Run Jessica!”

 

Both girls dashed aside. Yuri hit her shoulder against the wall and let out a silent scream. Jessica followed her orders, she picked up her steps and attempted to run away.

 

“Oh no, you .”

 

But before Chansung got to slash his sword towards Jessica, Yuri grabbed him from behind.

 

Upon seeing this, Jessica looked around and found a metal stick pipe. She took it, and smashed it on Chansung’s stomach. The man grunted in pain, but that pain turned into anger. With a cry, he got rid of Yuri’s grip and pushed Jessica up against a war. He grabbed her neck and lifted her up.

 

“, I am going to give you a try of this!”

 

He lifted his sword up, and was about to slash it across Jessica’s throat. He felt a sudden force pushing him from the side.

 

“You okay?” Yuri asked as she held Jessica. The latter nodded her head.

 

“We have to get out of here.”

 

“Don’t you dare.” Chansung got up again. “You are definitely not getting out, Yuri.” He charged at Yuri and gave her a strong punch on her stomach. The impact left her flying to the wall. She got back up on her feet, only to see a horrific sight.

 

Chansung had his sword around Jessica’s neck.

 

“Let her go!”

 

“The boss had made an order to kill you.” Chansung said, “I need to finish my mission. How about we do a trade? You come here, and in turn, she will be released. Fair?”

 

“You promise me you will let her go then? If I come to you.”

 

“Oh yes.”

 

Yuri walked slowly to Chansung. “Fine, take me then. But you let her go.” When she was no longer an inch away from Chansung, she stopped.

 

“Let her go!”

 

Chansung smiled mischievously, “Has anyone told you not to trust your enemy?”

 

Yuri widened her eyes. She was tricked. How can she be so stupid? Right after he said those words, his hand slide in a horizontal direction, but before he could do that, Yuri jerked his hand, and his sword flew out of his hands. She then gave a punch to Chansung’s face.

 

The impact caused Chansung to lose contact with Jessica, and the girl fell forwards.

 

In a fraction of seconds, Yuri picked up the fallen sword and it into Chansung’s stomach. The man let out a piercing scream, before he laid on the floor, not moving a single muscle.

 

Yuri fell on the floor, panting heavily besides Chansung’s body. On his right wrist, she saw a bluish tattoo engraved there. She took the dead man’s wrist and slid his sleeves up.

 

It was a blue tattoo with the symbol of an arrow piercing a bear.

 

She suddenly remembers something. She pulled her sleeves up, and there was an exact same tattoo there.

 

What is this?

 

“Yuri!”

 

“Jessica!” Yuri picked herself up and walked to the girl, but letting out a gasp when she remembered her wound on her shoulder blade.

 

“Yuri! Are you okay?” Jessica said in concern. Yuri nodded. “We need to get out of here before anyone sees us.”

 

“Let’s get you treated first.” Jessica threw Yuri’s arms around her neck. Yuri leaned her weight to the girl.

 

The girls walked out of the alleyway, slowly. The broad daylight reminded them that people are constantly watching over them.