(France to) Berlin Pt. 1

How to Lose Your Friends in Twelve Months (or the Trip heard ‘round the World)

Dijon, France

11:00 PM

Taehyung was alone. Well, not exactly, but it felt that way. He was the only member of the remaining four boys awake-- he'd been driving for eleven hours now, though he felt he deserved it a bit after the "Incident" of that morning.

It was to the melody of his friends light snoring and the radios dull buzz that his mind left him.

It's been a while, he thought as he pulled out of yet another toll booth. Taehyung hadn't had time to really think since Japan and Jaehwans departure. Life had started to move too rapidly, then Kris showed up and Taehyung just, forgot. 

Seeing, or rather hearing, two of his closest friends finding their Soul Mates had slowly pushed the events of his pre-trip fears out of his mind. But now, now he was alone in a mental sense, in the dark quiet of the night and he was beginning to feel guilt creep up his throat. How could he forget about his sister? He didn't even remember the last time he called his mother if he was honest.

Some son you are huh? Taehyung bitterly laughed in his head. Your friends are happy and suddenly you let your guard down? That's pretty weak; your family hasn't had the best history, what makes you think you are any different? Taehyung sighed.

He really wanted his friends to wake up and talk to him. He wanted to keep forgetting. Too bad luck didn't work like that.

 Taehyung was starting to feel selfish now, it wasn't his sister's fault—he just wanted to be happy.

I'm going to call mom tomorrow, I'll talk to them both. Taehyung tried to reassure himself. I can have a good time; I'm allowed to do that. I need to just stop having expectations. I won't meet my Soul Mate and that's ok. At least I know they are alive.

It wasn't working, but beggars can't be choosers. With that last thought, he let his mind wander to what he'd say to his family tomorrow and drove on.

*******************************************************

Paris, France

2:00 AM

"Time to wake up!" Taehyung screeched as he slowly cranked up the radio volume. He had finally arrived at their destined city, needing Minseok awake to direct him on where to go. But it wouldn't hurt to have them all up, right?

"Oh my god, turn that down!" Hakyeon yelled from the back, his head had unfortunately been resting beside a speaker. "I think I'm deaf! What's that ringing, do you hear the ringing!? Taehyung you've ruined me!"

"Enough dramatics Hakyeon, the only ringing I'm hearing is your loud voice so hush." Minseok threw back as he rubbed his eyes. "It's too early for this."

Jimin was the only one that made no noise, mostly because he had somehow remained passed out.

"How on earth did he stay asleep?" Taehyung mused aloud, glancing at his friend in the rear view mirror. "Really, who could sleep through Hakyeon hyungs yelling?" Hakyeon groaned in annoyance but seemed too tired to bite back at Taehyung's comment.

"So Minseok hyung, which hotel is it?" Taehyung smiled cheekily at the older man, earning a resigned sigh in response.

"Take a left up here."

**********************************************************

Three days later and Paris unfortunately yielded no results, but the group carried on without a hitch.

"So boys," Minseok spoke as they settled themselves into the car "while we didn't find anybody in Paris, we had a nice time right? Ok, anyway, now we will be going to Belgium. Brussels to be specific, and then up through Germany, and from Berlin we will be exiting mainland Europe to England. Good? Good!" His cheer caused the rest of the crew to smile despite the slight disappointment hanging in the air.

"Yeah, let's have a good week Minseok hyung." Jimin smiled at him before turning his attention towards the rest of the cars inhabitants. "So who wants to play some car games?"

**********************************************

"I won fair and square! I got the best score, you're just mad because you can't hit high notes like me!" Jimin was currently yelling into what appeared to be the trunk, where Hakyeon was sprawled out on the seats.

"yeah, no. I'm saying I won because I'm better and older and my score was way higher!" Hakyeon yelled back, never one to back down.

An hour and a half after Jimins suggestion of car games had lead to this point. Minseok was really regretting his suggestion of a crude phone based version of karaoke. He sighed as Taehyung joined the argument.

"I think you are forgetting my mad rap skills, I obviously won lets be real here." Taehyung tried his hardest to keep a straight face.

"Rap totally doesn't count as karaoke!" Hakyeon huffed.

"I'm pretty sure what you did does not constitute as rap at all." Jimin shook his head before returning to his original target. "You-"

"I win! I am the winner! I won, it's me! My game my rules you are all disqualified for fighting!" Minseok shouted before Jimin and Hakyeon could utter another word.

After a few minutes of awkward silence Taehyung spoke up.

"How about that sky, am I right?"

Hakyeon could only cry in defeat.

***************************************************

Brussels, Belgium

3:00 PM

Hakyeon let out a low whistle when they opened the door to their hotel room.

"Are you sure SSI didn't give us a house?" Hakyeon asked as he explored the room further. "Honestly I thought the marble sinks in Paris were amazing but this, this is crazy." The ceilings were all high swelling arches, and there was even a chandelier in the kitchen.

"You're telling me hyung, I think we should just stay here forever, I even had complementary food on my pillow!" Jimin was maybe a little too excited for the free mints and chocolates.

"I'm sorry to burst your bubble kids, but this is the shortest stop on our trip. We will only be here for one day, technically starting today. This time tomorrow we will be on our way to Frankfurt, Germany." Minseok spoke from where he was stood by the door. "Which is why we're going out now." And with that he was walking down the hall.

It was when they were all rushing to follow Minseok that Hakyeon spoke incredulously.

"He did not  call me a kid. Minseok!"

************** 12:10 AM*********

"I'm so tired" Jimin whined as he hobbled towards the hotel door.

The group had spent the rest of the day walking around the city and even driving to the coast. After dinner, per Taehyungs request, the group even tried out the local nightlife.

"Jimin, come talk to me when you drive for sixteen hours straight until like, six in the morning." Taehyung shot back as he opened the door.

"Why you gotta one up me like that?" Jimin mumbled as he shuffled towards his room. "Goodnight!"

Hakyeon followed close behind, almost running into his own room without so much as a farewell. Minseok shook his head, but smiled nonetheless before turning to Taehyung.

"You ready to sleep too?" Minseok questioned the boy.

"Um, yeah. Well- no actually, I'm not." Taehyung spoke quietly, wringing his hands. The boys tone had suddenly fallen. "Hyung would you, stay up with me? I don't want to be alone."

"Of course Tae," Minseok put his arm around the younger mans shoulder, worry leaking into his voice. "Are you ok? Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, I'm sorry hyung. Maybe another time? I just want to be with someone right now." Taehyungs voice was small and that only worried Minseok further, but he trusted Taehyung and dropped the subject.

"Well how about we go watch T.V. in my room, yeah? Then we can sleep and you won't be alone all night." Minseok said, already tugging Taehyung towards his room.

Three hours later and Taehyung finally closed his eyes.

He forgot to call his mother.

***********************************************

Frankfurt, Germany

7:00 PM

Inside Hotel Room 38B

Taehyung was alone, though this time it was in the physical sense. The others had gone out to get dinner; Taehyung had insisted on staying at the hotel to rest after the days driving.

The phone he held buzzed into his ear three times before it clicked on.

"Hi mom."

"Taehyung! My baby, how have you been? Are you safe? Healthy? Your sister misses you, you know. We've been having fun though, don't worry about us here!" Listening to his mothers rambling caused a small smile to catch his lips, but it dropped at the mention of his sister.

"That's good mom. I've been great, really! You remember Jaehwan and Yoongi right? They both found their Soul Mates. We even ran into two new people, Kris and Jimin, but I can tell you about them when I get home. I, uh, just wanted to say I love you guys. I'm really sorry I haven't called."

"No, no! Don't apologies baby, I understand you're excited to be doing this it's ok. This is a big deal." Taehyung tried not to notice the way his mother's breath hitched, he knew she was just as scared as him. "Did you, want to talk to your sister?" Taehyung nodded before realizing his mother couldn't see him.

"Yeah, yeah, if that's ok." He heard his mother hum before the phone rustled. The muffled sounds of movement and his mother's voice calling out to his sister set him on edge.

Taehyung heard a beep before his mother's voice spoke to him.

"You're on speaker baby."

Taehyung could hear his sisters mumbling clearly now, but he decided to try anyway.

"Hey sis" He called out softly, he didn't get a clear response but that was expected. "I'm doing well, I hope you are too. My friends have found their Soul Mates and are very happy, so it's been a good trip so far—"

Taehyung was cut off by the distant sound of the hotel door being opened.

"I'm sorry I have to go, love you bye." He rushed to end the call, not fully understanding why he felt the need to continue hiding. But it felt safe, he felt safe. He wiped a tear off his cheek that he didn't even know had fallen before going out to greet his friend.

Not much longer now.

****************************************************

Berlin, Germany

10:08 AM

"This is it boys! Our last mainland stop, who's ready?" Minseok bounced excitedly in his seat. "I can't wait to see America! Well, I hope I find my Soul Mate of course but now that I'm this close it seems really exciting!"

Taehyung laughed at Minseoks childish antics.

"Well hyung, where to first?" Taehyung asked. The group had  settled into their hotel earlier, and were ready to run around the new city.

"I think we should take a vote!" Jimin piped up from behind Taehyung. "That way it's fair and we get some freedom."

"I hate to agree with Jim over there but I am so sick of this itinerary telling me what to do." Hakyeon nodded his head gravely, laughing at Jimins offended gasp.

"Well, fine, I guess we can vote. We can go to Gendarmenmarkt square for shopping or we can take one of those walking tours through the city and parks. So, those for shopping say aye!" Minseok declared.

"Aye!" 

"Aye!" Taehyung and Hakyeon chorused together.

"Well this is just great. A split." Jimin was already thinking of how to settle the new dilemma."So, coin flip? Best two of three?"

Three flips later and the group was readying themselves for a long walking tour, one Hakyeon wasn't going to give in quietly too. With a sigh and a smile, Minseok jumped out of the immobilized car.

"To the park we go!"