Hello Chicago

How to Lose Your Friends in Twelve Months (or the Trip heard ‘round the World)
 

 

12:00 P.M.

Chicago O'Hare Int. Airport

"Well its been what?" Jimin pretended to roll up his sleeve and look at a watch "Thirty minutes since we landed? And where are we exactly?" Jimin looked at Taehyung with one eyebrow raised, lips pushed out.

Taehyung looked at his companion dejectedly before sighing "We're in the Gift shop by the terminal... again."

"Ah yes, we are, aren't we. So why don't you, I don't know, admit we're lost, ask for directions and get us out of this sad gift shop! If I have to look at this cuddlekinz panda for another second I might explode." Jimin flicked the mentioned toy in the nose.

"Ok, fine. I thought I could navigate no problem but this airport is huge! And the gift shop is right next to the Panda Express, you know I can't help my hunger." Taehyung whined, trying to defend himself. Jimin only squinted his eyes at the other. "Ah! Fine! Let's go ask a guard or something where the exit is ok?" Jimin smiled before latching onto his friends arm and dragging him out of the store.

Ten minutes of wandering later and it seemed Jimin had spotted something. "Tae, look! A customer service desk!" Jimin shook his friends arm before taking off, Taehyung—whom had been looking in the opposite direction—only managed to catch a glimpse of Jimins retreating back. He frowned to himself before hefting all of the forgotten luggage up, ready to follow the other boy. That was until he collided with what seemed to be a wall.

Why does this keep happening to me? I should really need to pay attention when I walk.

Taehyung looked up to see a very tall person, which made the situation reminiscent of his time meeting Kris. Taehyung opened his mouth to apologies as he stood, dusting off his legs before he realized the person he had collided with was running away. All he caught was a muttered "Oh " before the stranger took a left and was out of site.

"O...k" Taehyung muttered lowly to himself as he grabbed the luggage once more "that wasn't weird at all, completely normal." He laughed to himself before resuming his trek to Jimin. This time he made sure to look around frequently as he went.

Five minutes later and both Jimin and the costumer service desk were nowhere to be found. Taehyung decided to take a break and just call the other. He moved to the side of the walkway and leaned against a large concrete pillar, dropping the bags with a wheeze.

 As Taehyung reached into his pocket for his phone, he leaned his head back to catch his breath, eyes moving towards a mirror on the ceiling. He looked down once more and found Jimins contact, clicking the button to call before looking at the mirror again, phone pressed to his ear. The call started to buzz when Taehyung noticed something-- someone else was in the mirror looking back at him. Taehyung almost choked, not prepared to lock eyes with a random, handsome stranger. The cell phones buzzing started to sound muffled, as if Taehyung had fallen under water and drowned out all the soundsaround him. The stranger was still staring, eyes intense and focused before a hand reached out and the stranger startled. Taehyung watched as the boy in the mirror jumped, turning away, and Taehyung could suddenly hear Jimins voice yelling in his ear.

"Tae! Hey, Kim Taehyung! Answer me! Hello? Where are you?!" Taehyung blinked and looked away from the mirror, clearing his throat before answering.

"Ah, sorry Jimin. Wait, why are you yelling at me? A better question would be where are you! I tried to follow you, but you ran, why did you run!?" Taehyung yelled back, turning the argument onto his friend.

"I ran because I wanted to finally escape the airport but now you've gone off by yourself so I have to look for you. And spendmore time in the airport! Now, where are you? What's near you?" Jimin was quick to end the spat, wanting to get out of O'Hare and to The Bean. Taehyung sighed in defeat before looking around, purposely ignoring the mirror.

"Uh, I see a Starbucks and a Red handbag shop. Why are they selling purses at an airport?" Taehyung tilted his head in confusion, waiting for Jimins reply when the line suddenly cut. "Huh? Jimin?"

"Yes Tae?" Jimin whispered in the others ear, causing Taehyung to screech, jumping a foot in the air.

"Jimin! Why did you do that! I almost had a heart attack and died!" Taehyung said wide eyed, staring at his friend in betrayal.

"Oh, come on you big baby, you would have done the same to me. Now let's hit the road! I have a highlighted map and everything!" Jimin smiled as he marched away, leaving Taehyung to grumble under his breath and heave the bags up.

Neither boy noticed the figure peeking out from behind the pillar they once stood at, watching them walk away with a smile on his face.

************************************************************************

1:36 P.M.

Millennium Park, Chicago

Jimin was bouncing excitedly as the two walked into the park, almost squealing when he caught a glimpse of The Bean. Taehyung just shook his head, a slight smile on his face. Jimin started to drag the other as they came closer and closer to the sculpture, already reaching for his phone. They finally reached the underside of The Bean, and Jimin pulled Taehyung down under his arm.

"One...two...three...smile!" The boys smiled widely, eyes crinkling in joy. "I'm gonna send this to the hyungs, do you want one?"

"Yeah, it's definitely gotta go on my sns." Taehyung bumped hips with Jimin, giggling as they got strange looks from close passersby. "What else should we see? The fountain?" He looked at Jimin as they left the bean behind.

"Nah, I was here strictly for The Bean." Jimin laughed at Taehyung's confused face before continuing "Obviously I want to see the other sculptures, it's just The Bean was number one. Now let's go look at the spitting lady fountain."

*********************************************************************************

2:50 P.M.

Navy Pier, Chicago

Taehyung breathed heavily, hands curling around the bars of the Ferris -Wheel bucket. His knuckles turned white as his grip tightened with every shake and creek of the metal structure.

"Tae, I thought you said you weren't afraid of heights?" Jimin looked across the cart to his panicking friend, head tilting slightly.

"Yeah! Yeah I'm not scared of heights, I'm scared of falling and this Ferris-Wheel seems really old and it's creaky and what if we fall off the hinges and roll around x-men style because the bolts are rusty?" Taehyung spoke rapidly, screaming when Jimin shifted his weight, causing the bucket to sway and screech.

"Woah! Ok, well we're at the top of the wheel right now, that means as soon as we move again and reach the bottom it's our turn to get off. Then we can go to the Ben & Jerry's, I'll buy you a stuffed animal, and we can just go for a relaxing walk, how's that sound?" Jimin sat as still as possible as to not disturb the cart again, talking in a soothing voice to placate the other boy.

"Yeah, ok. We're fine, I'm going to get off this horrible contraption, get some Chunky Monkey ice cream, and forget this happened." Taehyung nodded to himself, turning his head very slowly to look out the open sides of the cart. "At least we have a beautiful view!"

Jimin snorted as his ever positive friend tried to lighten the mood again. Too bad the smile on Taehyungs face fell as the Ferris-Wheel began its jumpy decent to the ground.

"Ice cream time!" Taehyung yelled once they walked off the ride, bouncing on the balls of his feet.

"Hell yeah it is! Come on, this way Taetae." Jimin was happy to see his friend already bouncing back, grabbing his elbow and leading him down the pier.

"Oh! And tomorrow we should go to the aquarium and the zoo! Then after we can go to the shopping districts and walk around." Taehyung spoke again as the Ice cream parlor came into view. "Ah, then it's off to LA and back to the hyungs." Jimin nodded at the others words.

"This is so weird, we have so little time left. Do you think we'll find our Soul Mates by then?" Jimins pace slowed as he looked to the right, watching Taehyungs facial expression.

Taehyung spoke after a beat of silence "Uh, yeah! You definitely will Jiminie, I mean who could resist your cute face?" He smiled and bumped shoulders with his friend before speeding up. "Look, we're here!"

Jimin frowned a bit at how the other was acting but opted to drop it. Taehyung still wasn't ready to talk it seemed. 

Putting on a bright smile, he walked up to the counter and ordered.

*******************************************************

10:00 A.M.

Lincoln Park Zoo

"Tae, look at the Giraffe! His tongue is blue!" Jimin giggled as he pointed toward the tall animal, watching in fascination as it ate off a tree.

"If only you could be tall like Mr. Giraffe, right Jimin?" Taehyung hummed, smirking as the other froze.

"Excuse me?" Jimin turned around slowly, face dark.

Taehyung whispered an oh   under his breath before taking off.

"Come back here and let me beat you up!" Jimin yelled as he chased the other boy, only to come to an abrupt halt at the sound of a new voice.

"Hey, no running is permitted. I'm going to need you two to stop or I will have to remove you from the premises."

Jimin pivoted around, coming face-to-chest with a security uniform.

"S-sorry miss. W-we didn't know, won't happen again." Jimin gulped, holding his breath as the woman nodded and began to walk away with a tilt of her hat. Letting out a breath, Jimin turned back to see Taehyung with a shocked look on his face. The boys locked eyes before collapsing into a fit of laughter.

***********************************************************

1:30 P.M.

Shedd Aquarium

"Jimin, get me the turtle plushy from the gift shop please." Taehyung whined, showing puppy eyes to his friends. Jimin gave the other a blank look before sighing.

"I guess I could get it for you, but that means you have to go into the shark tube with me." Jimin started walking in the direction of the mentioned exhibit, looking back when he realized Taehyung wasn't following.

"Oh come on you big-baby, I'll buy you two things from the gift shop ok?" Jimin motioned for his friend to follow, shaking his head with a slight smile when the other boy charged ahead. 

"Hey, slow down! We have all day!"

***************************************************************

 

12:00 P.M.

The Magnificent Mile, Chicago

Thirty minuets into their walk, Jimin started to whine.

"Taetae, we walked all day yesterday and this shopping is going to take forever. Oh wait, we aren't even shopping, because we don't have enough money!" Jimin crossed his arms and plopped himself on a near by bench.

"Aw, come on Jimin. I know you didn't sleep well last night, but that's no reason to be a grumpy-guss. Now get up, I'll ask the hyungs to put some money on the card for us, and I'll buy you a nice coffee. You know Minseok hyung is a er for making sure we eat well." Taehyung moved to sit next to his friend, putting an arm around his shoulder.

"Fine, I guess coffee will do." Jimin grumbled, pretending to still be upset.

Taehyung smiled before pulling out his phone and shot a quick text to Minseok.

Hyung! We are running out of money and Jimin is so hungry! Please give us money on the card ;^;   

"There! all set." Taehyung smiled at Jimin before standing up, offering his hand. "Now lets go get that coffee and see why they call this mile magnificent, shall we? Besides, we only have today to do it!"