Japan

How to Lose Your Friends in Twelve Months (or the Trip heard ‘round the World)

One hour into the flight and most of the boys are passed out and drooling. Most being everybody but Taehyung, who was lost in thought. He thumbed the sides of his phone as he stared out of the window, biting his lip. The quiet atmosphere of the plane, void of the boys as a distraction, allowed Taehyung to think. Which lead to his sister and her soul mate. Thoughts rushed around his mind, doubts and what if's brought an onslaught of emotion. Taehyung's glazed eye stare down with the window was only broken when a hand gently shook his arm.

"Are you ok?" Oh, Jimin's awake. Taehyung turned to look at the yawning boy next to him.

"I'm fine, really. You should go back to sleep." Taehyung tried to smile, which became more of a grimace as Jimin gave him a blank look.

"For some reason, I just can't accept that as the right answer. You don't have to tell me what it is you were thinking about if you don't want but." He reached down, popping back up with a pack of playing cards. "We can play some cards and get to know each other. There is really no way I'm falling back asleep."

Taehyung nodded dumbly and slowly put down their tray tables. The remainder of the flight carried on similarly, the two laughing and sharing their lives in short stories.

"I almost forgot to ask, when is your birthday? Mine is December thirtieth." Taehyung tilted his head and put down a card. Jimin giggled before answering.

"My birthday is October thirteenth. That makes me your hyung Taehyungie." Jimin smiled widely before teasing the younger, poking at him and laughing at his whining. A loud beep stops the two and startles the remainder of the group awake.

Attention all passengers, we will now begin our descent upon New Chitose airport. We ask that you please turn off and stow all electronics, and put your tray tables into the upright position. One last sweep of the cabin will be held to collect all garbage. We thank you for flying with us and hope you chose our airline again.

                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hyuuung, I'm bored." Jaehwan whined as he draped himself over Hakyeons shoulders. "The luggage is taking forever." Hakyeon just pushed him off in response, to which Jaehwan pouted before walking to Minseok and repeating the process. Hakyeon sighed as he watched Jaehwan go around the group; the boy was almost back to Hakyeon when the luggage claim lit up.

"Finally!" Jaehwan ran towards the conveyor belt of bags, pulling an unlucky Jimin with him.

The process of collecting everybody's bags was slow, with Taehyung missing his every time it came around and Minseok scolding him, causing it to go by uncollected again. It was almost a whole hour after they exited the plane that they entered the van.

"OK." Minseok called from the passenger seat "Let's do a head count, Taehyung is in the driver's seat, Hakyeon?"

"Back here."

"Jaehwan?"

"Present and ready!"

"Jimin?"

"Here hyung."

"That's everybody right? Yeah that's it. Well now that we are all accounted for I'll go through the itinerary. From here we drive until we reach the water separating us from the main island, we take a ferry across and from there we drive to Osaka. On our way it looks like we stop in a few cities, like Tokyo, and visit tourist locations. Uh, from Osaka it says we fly to Shanghai, China."

The boys look at each other in silence before Jimin decides to speak.

"Cool." He smiles and hits the back of Taehyung's seat "Well come on, what are we waiting for?" Taehyung only smiles back at him in the rearview mirror before speeding out of the parking lot, wheels squealing.

                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japan day two

"Ok guys; back to the van let's go!" Minseok corralled the boys into the car quickly before jumping into the front. "It's a three hour drive from here to our next destination, Ushiku Daibutsu, then another hour from there to our hotel in Tokyo and we are already running behind." Minseok clapped his hands twice. "Because of this, Taehyung I give you permission to get us there, fast."

Taehyung laughed in response and pressed on the gas, all the boys laughing along with Taehyung except for Hakyeon who yelled out- I don't feel safe!- though it fell on deaf ears.

Exactly three hours later the van came to a dead stop.

"Everybody out, let's go." Minseok one again called orders as he jumped out of the car. He walked some ways from the van and waited for the others to join him at what was the start of a path. Before he could explain though, Hakyeon pointed through the trees.

"Holy ." That caused them to all look where the second eldest was pointing. Gasps and whispered curses were heard as they took in the sight.

"That's one big Buddha." Jimin whistled lowly.

"It's, 120 meters tall to be exact." Minseok read from the binder in his hands. "It also happens to be our visitation spot for today. Let's go!" He his heel and led the group towards the statue.

Some minutes later and they were stood in front of the massive statue.

"Hyung, let's go inside!" Taehyung tugged on Hakyeon arm and gestured towards the statues entrance. The rest of the group agreed and walked towards the opening, leaving a gaping Jaehwan behind.

"It's so tall...and calming." He mumbled to himself before realizing he was alone. "Oh no, not again." He moved from his previous position to look for his friends only to run into some one. A tall someone.

"Ah! I'm sorry!" Jaehwan bowed in apology, blushing and content to stay bent down. Though it seemed the stranger had different plans as a hand fell onto his shoulder.

"It's ok, you can stand up." The voice was, definitely not what Jaehwan had been expecting. He slowly straightened out, still embarrassed before he looked into the face of who he ran into. With awe he watched as the strangers left eye slowly faded in color to match the right.

"Uh, I'm Lee Jaehwan. And I guess I'm your soul mate." He rubbed the back of his neck and chuckled awkwardly.

"Jung Taekwoon." Was all the other man said before reaching out for the hand Jaehwan still had on his neck.

"Jaehwan hyung!" Taehyung's yell startled the two out of their wordless stare. "Jaehwan hyung?" Taehyung was much closer now, along with the other boys.

"Your eye!" Hakyeon pointed out upon coming closer. "Is this?" He looked at the man beside Jaehwan.

"Yeah, and his name is Jung Taekwoon." Jaehwan bit his lip to hold his smile.

"Well that's great!" Minseok smiled at the two before getting down to business. "Will you both be coming back with us?" Before Jaehwan could answer though, Taekwoon broke his silence.

"I would like it if we could stay here. My trip ends in two days, and I have to be back in Incheon at that time." He looks at Jaehwan after in silent question.

"Yeah, I think I'll stay behind. Good luck guys!" He smiled and ran around to hug everybody before they departed. "I'll see you soon!" He called after their retreating forms, smiling when Taekwoon took his hand to lead him away.

                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The remainders of the boys were piling into the van once again when Hakyeon spoke.

"He's really gone. We're down two people and it's not even been a full week. I wonder whose next."

"For everybody's sake, let's hope it's you or Minseok hyung." Taehyung only laughed as the two offended boys yelled at him.