Life on the Other Side

How to Lose Your Friends in Twelve Months (or the Trip heard ‘round the World)

"Holy ." Jimin breathed.

Minseok didn't even scold him that time as both Yoongi and Jimin were watching as the others eye slowly swirled and changed in tandem. 

"Holy is right"

                                    *********************************************

One Week Later

CEO Choi's office, SSI HQ

12:00 PM

Taehyung took a deep calming breath as he followed the vaguely familiar yet daunting path of white and mahogany towards the CEO's office. He glanced around and fiddled with his hands as he waited for the receptionist to open the doors and grant him entry, wondering why the hell he was always the one doing the hard work despite being the youngest.

"Ms. Choi is ready for you." The cool voice of the receptionist brought Taehyung out of his thoughts, and with a slight jump he thanked her and walked in to see the all too familiar figure of Ms. Choi.

"Kim Taehyung, lovely to see you again. You're looking quite well indeed. Now please have a seat, I won't eat you, I promise" Ms. Choi smiled pleasantly, her eyes soft and genuine.

Taehyung cleared his throat awkwardly "Hello Ms. Choi, you uh, look nice?" Taehyung internally berated himself for posing it as question, sitting down shakily after a firm handshake with the now amused-looking woman.

"Now, formalities aside, I'm sure you know why you are here?" Ms. Choi smiled, pulling out a thick folder and placing it on the desk between them.

Taehyung nodded slowly "I have an idea; we're going over the trip right?"

"Exactly. Now, normal proceedings after a successfully completed trip would just include a package of items promoting our Marriage and Wedding events package, and a satisfaction survey along with some brief written responses on the detailing of the trip. But, your case is a bit unique as you happened to pick up a large and changing number of people—the biggest amount I've seen thus far in my line of work. Due to this I have decided to hold your survey in person so I may have a better and more detailed recounting." She stopped to make sure Taehyung was following before moving the folder towards him and opening it carefully. "Now I think it's about time we begin. Tell me about the first person you picked up, how that happened, and if you found any sort of pattern along the way."

Two hours later and Taehyung was walking back out of the building, empty handed but with the reassurance that-- "we will send the marriage packets by mail, don't fret"-- as if that was what Taehyung had been nervous about. Smiling to himself, Taehyung put one hand in his pocket while the other reached for his cell phone.

Three rings in he hears a click and— "Tae? You're free I take it? Alive?"

Jimins teasing voice filtered out of the speaker making Taehyung snort.

"Yeah, yeah I survived scary CEO Choi. Though I still think you should have gone with me as you were the start of my person-per-airport pick-up."

"Yeah, yeah, but I had such a fun time not at SSI. Yoongi hyung took me out! It's still a bit weird but hey, what can you do." Jimin replied back smoothly, and Taehyung couldn't help the fond smile that spread across his face at the happiness in his friends' voice.

"That's Yoongi hyung for you, always been a bit awkward—don't tell him I said that though." Taehyung snickered at Jimins mock-scandalized gasp before continuing. "But really Ji, I'm happy for you. Though next time someone quizzes me on the trip, you're handling it."

"Ok Tae, whatever you say." Jimin intoned teasingly "Ah! I have to go, hyung just came back from the store. Let's meet up soon ok? Bye-bye!"

Taehyung barely slipped in a farewell before the line clicked off. Taehyung smiled to himself and continued moving on towards his home, reminiscing on the events of earlier that week.

                                             *****************************************

A week earlier,

Taehyung's apartment

"So," Jaehwan said loudly, effectively breaking the tense silence "looks like Jimin is officially part of the gang forever now."

Hakyeon snorted "Like we weren't stuck with him to begin with-- please."

It was then that Jimin finally made a move, slowly turning away from the dead-lock stare he had held with Yoongi.

"You were stuck with me the moment Tae over here fell all over me." Jimin cracked an awkward smile, trying to make the atmosphere light again.

"Taehyung always was a clumsy little " Yoongi spoke with a slight smirk, causing Jimin to giggle lightly.

That's when the group knew everything would be just fine.

                                 *************************************************

Seven Months later

Angle Beans Coffee Shop, University Campus

11:30 AM

"Sorry Tae, Tao has a small family emergency so we're heading to his parent's place. We'll definitely have to go to the new café when I come back though, right? Sorry the plane is boarding, maybe Minseok can go? I know he loves coffee—sorry again I really need to go, bye!" And just like that Kris was gone.

Taehyung sighed loudly, slumping in his seat and pouting. It had been almost a month since the new coffee shop on campus had opened, and every week Taehyung has tried to round up his friends to try it with him—to no avail.

It seemed like everybody was too busy for him these days, Hakyeon was always going to Wonshik's showcases.

Minseok was pre-occupied with trying to plan the perfect proposal to Luhan, stressing over almost every detail.

Jaehwan had agreed when Taehyung last asked him, but he ended up getting sick the night before their meeting—Jaehwan did try to make it despite that, only to be trapped in his apartment by a stern Taekwoon. Taekwoon, whom had been nursing Jaehwan, got sick in turn, thus pushing plans back further.

Yoongi had been monopolizing Jimins time, claiming to "want to know everything about him" while taking Jimin to every possible vacation spot in the country he could when they had no class time.

Then finally, Taehyung made a breakthrough and Kris had literally been on the way to meet him-- only to have Tao call frantically with a family emergency and two plane tickets to his childhood home in China.

Taehyung didn't blame any of them, but he couldn't help but feel left out. It seemed that all of his friends were too pre-occupied with their soul-mates to even call him most of the time.

Sighing dejectedly, he stood up and grabbed the coffee he ordered an hour ago now, fishing his phone from his pocket and dialing a number he still knew by heart.

"Taehyung, sweetie is that you?"

"Yeah mom, it's me." Taehyung smiled to himself as he heard his mom gasp in excitement.

"Oh honey it's been so long! I was going to call you myself one of these days but I thought—'he's growing up now, I shouldn't bother him'—but really I've missed you sweetie, just don't forget to call your mom every once in a while ok?"

"I know, I'm really sorry mom. It's just been pretty hectic with the start of classes, and all my friends have been stressing and busy too just—I won't do it again ok? I'll call you more."

"Thank you sweetie, but is there any particular reason you called? You seem a bit down."

Taehyung chuckled to himself, content at the motherly worry in her voice. "That's kind of why I called; I was wondering if I could come home today? Maybe visit you and, and sis?" Taehyung clenched his fist, annoyed at himself for faltering at the mention of his sister.

His mother on the other hand didn't seem to notice, or if she did ignored it in favor of the happiness at the prospect of seeing her son.

"Of course, of course! You are always welcome home honey, any time at all. Oh! I'll make your favorite dish too, and you're sister will be so excited! She's been more active recently; it's been very bright here!"

"Yeah mom, that's good. I should be home soon, ok? Ill arrive in an hour at most, so I'll go and catch the bus now. Love you mom, see you soon." Taehyung bit his lip, playing with it nervously as his mother happily chatted about his sisters 'activity.'

"Ok sweetie! Oh we are so excited to see you, now go catch the bust and be safe! Love you honey, remember mom always loves you."

Taehyung clicked the phone of and rubbed his hands over his face. He was excited to see his family, but a huge part of him was scared. He hadn't visited them in so long, and he had no idea what his sister would be like—who he'd see. And his mother, she always made him emotional. She was so close to being the same woman she had been many years ago—but something about her was always off, always unhinged in a way.

Shaking the doubts out of his mind, Taehyung boarded the bus, reminding himself that no matter what they were still his family—and he loved them with all he had.

The self-reassurances still couldn't shake the numbing guilt he felt.

*****************************

A little over an hour later and Taehyung was standing in front of his mother's door, collecting his thoughts with his hand poised to knock. Sighing lightly and clearing his throat, Taehyung brought his knuckles upon the door three times.

"Uh, mom? I'm here!" Taehyung shuffled a bit, stretching his arms out as he heard a distant "Come in!"

Taehyung pushed open the door, quietly shutting it behind him as he slid his shoes off. He followed the smell of food to the kitchen, where his mother turned from the stove and positively beamed at him.

"Taehyung!" She exclaimed, rushing forward and grabbing her son into a bear hug. Taehyung smiled, stunned for a moment before hugging his mother back just as tight.

It had really been too long since he visited.

"The food is almost done, go say hello to your sister she's been waiting! I'll have the table ready when you come back." His mother pinched his cheeks lovingly before sending him off, smile never leaving her face.

Taehyung smiled back at her, groaning as she mercilessly squeezed his cheeks. But as soon as he walked out of view, his nerves came back. Taehyung slowly stepped down the hallway—second door on the left—and there he was. 

His sister was right beyond the thin wooden door before him.

"I can do this." He mumbled to himself, knocking softly to alert her of his presence before slowly turning the knob and entering.

"Hyojung noona? It's me, it's Taetae." Taehyung gave a watery, nervous smile. He quickly blinked away the welling feeling in his eyes. It had been so long, too long since he's seen her.

Taehyung watched as his sisters head lolled a bit, but her eyes focused right on him.

And she smiled.

"Taetae..." Hyojung's voice rasped, horse and quite, a faint whisper but Taehyung heard it loud and clear.

"Mom, mom wasn't wrong." Taehyung thought to himself before he tentatively walked to sit on the chair by his sisters bed. "Hi noona, it's been a while. I- I've missed you." He reached out to grab Hyojung's hand, nerves vibrating and prickling under his skin.

"Taetae, so cute... where were you...you grew up so well." Hyojung was struggling to speak, Taehyung could tell and it burned a hole straight through him.

Before Taehyung could respond, his sisters eyes became unfocused and she mumbled, a sight Taehyung had become all to used too. 

He got ready to leave.

"I love you Hyojung noon, I'm so sorry. I promise I won't leave you again, I won't. I've been selfish and you don't deserve that. I'll be back soon." Taehyung breathed deeply and got up, walked out the door and shut it lightly, resting his body against it.

"Tae?" A quite voice called him, and Taehyung jumped.

"Mom..." When he looked at her, Taehyung saw the small glint of emotion in her eye. He knew, she had heard him talk to Hyojung, she knew the guilt that began gnawing at him when he had realized Hyojung had been getting better-- but he had missed it, he refused to see it.

"It's ok sweetie, come on, dinner is going to get cold." His mother smiled warmly, resting her hands on his arms and pulling him away.

*********************************************************

Two Weeks Later

Angle Beans Coffee, University Campus

1:02 PM

The group had finally assembled at the café some hours earlier for an impromptu celebration of Minseok's successful proposal, and Taehyung couldn't be more elated. Finally his friends had come to the café, granted it was completely unplanned and a general mess but it worked—because it was them.

"I'll be the best man right? I better be the best man." Hakyeon was proclaiming loudly as each member of the group was standing, pushing in their chairs.

"Why would he choose you, you'd probably complain the whole time." Yoongi poked Hakyeons side as he walked by, stirring an indigent squawk from the other.

"Hey, I'm older than you! Show some respect! And Minseok loves when I complain."

"What about me?" Jaehwan added, coming up behind Yoongi and Hakyeon, putting his arms around their shoulders. "I've always been such a funny, happy, kind friend-- surely Minseok hyung would choose me." He smiled widely, batting his eyelashes at Minseok.

Minseok sighed and rolled his eyes, shooting Taehyung a withering look before getting dragged away as the others kept vying for a spot as best man. Taehyung smirked and raised his cup, tilting at the older and laughing at his misery.

Taehyung watched his friends walk away with a faint smile before turning and walking the opposite direction. He had been walking for less than five minutes before an odd sensation came over him. Stilling in his walk, Taehyung frowned as he felt his body flush with heat briefly before it faded and he felt fine again.

"Ok then" he mumbled, beginning his walk once more. Taehyung's phone vibrated in his hand three times in quick succession, and after checking Taehyung found it was Luhan questioning him about odd texts he got from Minseok. Taehyung snorted as he replied, fully immersed in his phone until— Thunk.

Taehyung's face met the ground. Unfortunately the sidewalk isn't as forgiving on his cheek as an airport floor.

"Oh god! Are you ok?" A soft voice filtered into Taehyung's ears before hands were grabbing at him to help him to his feet.

"Yeah, I'm fine, thanks." Taehyung look up and smiled at the woman before him "I'm a bit clumsy sometimes." He smiled awkwardly before wishing the small woman good bye and offering another thank you.

Taehyung started off again, turning around after a few minutes to see if she had gone before slapping a hand to his forehead.

"Idiot." Taehyung hissed to himself, shoving his phone into his pocket with the determination to pay attention and not fall. Again.

"Excuse me! Would you like a coupon for our beauty store? Five dollars off the first purchase!" A deep voice intoned to Taehyungs left, and when he turned he saw a ridiculously tall man brandishing a yellow and blue pamphlet.

"Uh, ok?" Taehyung reached out for the offered coupon, a bit intimidated by the size of the other.

"The offer only last until Friday, I hope to see you by then!" The man smiled cheerfully and Taehyung scrambled away, thinking to himself how he could avoid this road for the rest of his life.

******************************************************************

Three Days Later

Ivey Cosmetics

2:00 PM

"Jimin, why do you hate me." Taehyung whined from behind a make-up display, trying to subtly hide from the tall man behind the counter.

Jimin tsked in his direction, poking Taehyungs sides "Just because you're a scaredy cat doesn't mean I hate you. And besides I love this brand! And the cute cashier who's shift starts in... five minutes!"

"Jimin," Taehyung whined "that's creepy. And that doesn't explain why I'm here."

"You're the one with the coupon, remember?" Jimin smirked as he grabbed a face mask off the shelf, examining the back.

Taehyung sighed and tucked himself around the corner, sulking. He pulled out his phone and started to furiously message Yoongi, hoping that his hyung would have some mercy.

In that time Jimin ended up walking away.

"Jimin?" Taehyung called out, peeking around the display and breathing a sigh of relief when he noted the tall man was gone. And much to his joy Jimin was right in front of the register, cashing out. Or chatting with the supposedly "cute" cashier.

Taehyung looked around quickly before shooting towards Jimin, but when he got to the register his breath caught in his throat and he choked.

The only thing Taehyung could process was Jimin screaming "Yes!" beside him, and the image of a—admittedly cute cashier's—eye swirl in a mirror of his own.

Taehyung didn't even feel embarrassed when he started crying.

***************************************************************

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Epilogue

One Year Later

"Jeongguk! Jeon Jeongguk! Hurry up or I'm going to leave you here and eat all of mom's food without you!" Taehyung yelled into the hallway of their shared apartment, biting his lip to hold back a smile at the sound of his boyfriend stumbling in the distance.

"Yeah, I'm coming! I couldn't find my wallet." Jeongguk skidded to a halt next to Taehyung, out of breath with a wide smile on his face. "Come on, you know I wouldn't stall on your mothers cooking. I also hear I'm meeting someone special, I wouldn't miss it for the world."

Taehyung smile got impossibly wider, hand reaching for Jeongguks and lacing their fingers together.

"Hyojung is going to love you; I can't wait for you to meet her." Jeongguk smiled softly at the affection in the other's eyes, bumping his shoulder before moving towards the door.

"Let's get going then babe."

                                                            ************************************

Taehyung stepped up to his mothers door an hour later, raising a hand to knock the customary three times.

"Mom! We're here!" Taehyung called out for his mother, jumping slightly when the door was ripped open.

"Taehyung! Jeongguk! Oh it's so lovely for you to finally meet me in my home, I know you don't clean for my visits mister," Taehyung whined out a petulant mom, but she ignored him, continuing "but I cleaned up everything so nicely for you boys I've been so excited! So make sure to take off your shoes right away and come right to the table!" Taehyungs mother turned and bustled off, calling for her daughter all the while.

Jeongguk looked at his boyfriends put-out face, pinching his cheeks with a chuckle "Come on Tae, she just likes to tease. Now we have some food to attend to." Jeongguk stepped into the hallway, turning and spurring on Taehyung.

"Yeah, yeah I'm coming you oversized garbage disposal." Taehyung smirked and latched onto Jeongguks arm, dragging him forward the rest of the way.

The first thing they saw was Taehyungs mother fluttering about with various pots and plates, motioning them to sit and down-right refusing the boys offers to help.

"Actually, Taetae, could you grab your sister? Shes been getting ready for the last hour, you know how she gets." His mother laughed affectionately. "Ah-ah-ah! Not you Jeongguk, you sit right there, Tae can handle it."

Taehyung stood from his place at the table, sticking his tongue out childishly at Jeongguk when his mothers back was turned, before begining the trek to Hyojungs room.

Second door on the left and—"Hey, noona, you ready?" Taehyung knocked softly, pushing the door open lightly.

Hyojung turned stiltedly at the sound of her brother; a wide smile broke on her face.

"Taetae! Is he here? Your soul-mate?" Hyojung sounded excited, yet her eyes betrayed an uncertain blurriness, they gave away how far she has come—and how far she still has to go.

"Yeah noona, and he can't wait to meet you." Taehyung held out his elbow for his sister, using it to lead her back to the table. Before entering the dining room Taehyung stopped and turned towards her.

"Are you ready?" He whispered, worry leaking into his voice.

"More than anything." Hyojung smiled up at her brother and nudged him forward "I'll be ok, trust me."

Taehyung nodded, took a deep breath and walked towards the table.

"Jeongguk, I'd like you to meet Hyojung—my big sister. Hyojung noona I'd like you to meet Jeongguk—my soul-mate," Taehyung smiled so brightly, Jeongguk could have sworn he was looking at the sun "and the love of my life."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

************************************************************************************************************************************

Oh man, I'm kind of emotional. This story was my baby, and it all started this time a year ago-- its been so, so amazing and I want to thank every single one of you who has read each chapter despite my hectic upload schedual and Im just, so happy! This is my first completed, full fic and I feel so releived I could get it out! I'm thinking of possibly adding special chapters or a sequal possibly of the wedding(s) and their lives as they grow, but I'll leave that up for you guys to decide on if you want them or not!~ Thank you soso much, with Love -B