Eastern Seaboard Road Trip

How to Lose Your Friends in Twelve Months (or the Trip heard ‘round the World)

9:30 P.M.

Richmond, ia

"Fry me!" Taehyung leaned his body to the right, mouth open, eyes never leaving the road. Jimin reached into the paper bag on his lap, pulling out four long fries before shoving them into Taehyung's waiting mouth.

Taehyung hummed as he chewed in thanks, swallowing before reaching for his drink.

"Why did you have me feed you when you are literally drinking, right now, with your very own hand?" Jimin question, eyebrow raised as he ate some of the warm food himself.

"Ah" Taehyung breathed out, putting the drink down "I've seen it in a lot of movies; you know the ones where the couple is on the sun-set cross-country road trip? I thought it would be fun! Now give me another." Taehyung laughed at Jimins answering snort, smiling widely as Jimin shoved more fries at him.

"Yeah yeah, laugh it up Tae. Where are we by the way? I feel like we've been driving forever." Jimin slouched in his seat for emphasis, lolling his head towards Taehyung.

"Uhhh, Maryland? Wait-- no, ia! Hold on. Why don't we just look at the GPS." Taehyung reaches a hand out, moving the screen of the mounted GPS to face Jimin. "See? Right there—Richmond, ia!" Jimin sat back up, staring at the GPS screen intently.

"So, we have to make it to Florida. The thingy says we have ten and a half hours, and Minseok hyung only said we could stay in Myrtle Beach." Jimin paused, looking over to the other as he pushed the GPS back to its original position.

Taehyung turned to look at Jimin when he didn't continue, quick to look back towards the road before voicing "Your point?"

"Well, I was just thinking, I'm not tired—are you?"

"No?"

"Ok well I'm bored as hell, right?"

"Obviously."

"So how about we drive straight through to Orlando, you know, skip Myrtle Beach? We'll get there at like seven, check in, nap, and have the rest of the day to see the theme parks!" Jimin seemed to get more excited as he spoke, adjusting in his seat once more to face Taehyung. "What do you say?"

Taehyung mulled it over for a minute, pursing his lips in thought before slowly nodding his head. "Yeah, actually that's not a bad idea! Next rest stop we are going to stock up on energy drinks and snacks, so yell if you spot a sign."

The car was silent, aside from quiet rumblings from the radio, until Taehyung stoically leaned open-mouthed for more food. Jimin took a few moments to notice the other boy's silent movements before equally stony-faced giving food to Taehyung.

Jimin snorted.

Taehyung held back giggles.

Two minutes later the car was filled with the loud sounds of two boys high on freedom.

************************************************************

3:40 A.M.

Savannah, Georgia

The car was quiet, radio off as the two sat in the comfortable quiet. An hour prior the two had been dopey, laughing at everything, but now the "second wave" of energy was waning to steady consciousness.

Taehyung shifted in his seat, fingers tapping the steering wheel, letting out an occasional sigh. He wasn't sure if he was too tired or simply out of his mind, but he was considering telling Jimin the answer to the questions he has asked about Taehyungs past.

He wants to know what's wrong, noticed it so fast on that first flight we met. But is that a good enough reason? I haven't told any of the other hyung, and I've been with them for so long. But they also never seemed to notice... ah, but what if they find out Jimin knew before them and get angry? Feel betrayed? What has Jimin even done besides notice to make me want to tell him? Is it because he was so open since we first met? Genuinely caring for me, a complete stranger?

Taehyung let out another unconscious sigh, only this one was loud enough to catch Jimin's attention.

"You ok Tae?" Jimin looked up from his phone, completely alert and focused on Taehyung.

Is this a sign?

"Uh, yeah, I'm fine! Great! Just all this driving, you know? Haha..." Taehyung spit out the awkward sounding answer without a second thought, but almost immediately felt disgusted with himself.

I had such a good opportunity, but here I go lying again.

"Ok, Tae, if you're sure. We can pull off the road at a motel or something if you want?"

"No, no it's fine, we only have three or four hours left" A sick feeling twirled in Taehyung's gut the more he talked—the more he lied to Jimin who was so sweet and nice. The concern lacing Jimins' voice didn't help.

Maybe it's a good thing the other hyungs never notice.

**********************************************************************

7:00 A.M.

Orlando, Florida

"I'm ready to die, this was a horrible idea." Jimin wheezes once the boys finally trip into their hotel room. He falls face first onto the nearest bed, muffling his groan and whine of "never listen to my ideas again."

Taehyung grunts in agreement, falling into a similar position on the second bed.

Both boys passed out before they could even take their coats off.

******************************

2:10 P.M.

"Let's go! Hurry up!" Taehyung was hitting Jimins feet, pulling his legs to wake him up. "This was your idea, and last time I checked you weren't driving all night." Taehyung sing-songed as he climbed onto the bed, standing and ready to jump.

Jimin rolled over, pouting up at his friend "If you get down and don't jump I swear I'll get up." Taehyung look down at him skeptically before smirking and proceeding to bounce on his feet.

Jimin screeched before rolling off the side of the bed, standing in a huff and shouting "First you puke all over me, and now this?! What have I done!"

Taehyung laughed with a half-hearted apology, jumping right off the bed and pushing Jimin towards the bathroom. "Just shower and we can go to Universal, ok? We can get lunch out or at the park, think it over in the shower. Love you!"

Jimin stood dumfounded for a moment as the bathroom door slammed behind him; turning to look at his reflection he shook his head with a chuckle "I do not get paid enough for this."

*************************

3:35 P.M.

City Walk, Universal Entrance

"Is it just me or is this like a night club district." Taehyung looked around with wide eyes, taking in the restaurants and many patrons toting large plastic cups of alcohol.

"Yeah, but this is just like, the pre-entrance to the park! Now I was thinking we go left to Adventure Island because that's the one with all the cool rides." Jimin grabbed Taehyung's wrist and lead him towards the actual attractions entrance. "So when we get out of the queue do you want to go to Cat in the Hat world and go around or to the comic book world?"

Mulling over the thought, mouth hanging open, Taehyung finally hummed and then answered "Comic book!"

Jimin laughed brightly, passing the queue and turning to walk backwards "well come on then Taetae!"

Taehyung snorted before chasing after the other, catching up fast and linking arms. The two walked arm-in-arm as they entered the comic themed section, wide eyed in awe.

Taehyung suddenly stopped, causing Jimin to falter and almost fall "Hey what—"

"Jimin, look." Taehyung was staring up at a large green roller coaster that Jimin had somehow not noticed "It's the Hulk! We gotta ride it, come on!"

"Ok, ok! But I want to go on the Spider-man ride after."

 

Two hours later and the boys could be found standing in front of massive stone gates reading Jurassic Park. Hidden speakers played eerie jungle noises and crashing footsteps, unsettling the two as they walked the dense-foliage covered path.

"Oh my god!" Jimin screeched, jumping a foot in the air. Taehyung immediately went on high alert, looking around before bursting into laughter, tears collecting in his eyes.

"You got—It's plastic! It's not—real oh my god!"

Jimin would forever deny being scared by the plastic T-Rex head poking from the forest.

"Let's just go to Harry Potter world." Jimin pouted before walking away from Taehyung towards the next exhibit.

He definitely didn't jump when they passed the second T-Rex head.

****************************************************************

12:00 A.M.

Universal, Orlando

Hotel

"We really need to stop being out so late, I'm getting too old for this" Jimin wheezed as he sluggishly walked into their suite.

Taehyung only nodded in affirmation, following his friend around the room.

"We should call all the hyungs when we get to Miami tomorrow, they probably miss us. And I wanna know if Hakyeon hyung cried when we left." Taehyung snickered to himself, only to be interrupted by his own yawning. "First, we sleep."

******************************

1:00 P.M.

Miami, Florida

Hotel

"I still can't believe, I can drive for four hours, and still be in the same state. America is wild." Taehyung was currently standing at the hotel room's breakfast bar, Jimin sat on the other side, a phone between them. "We could drive for like, seven hours and still be in Florida!"

Jimin nodded in agreement, voicing "it " before the cell phone crackled to life with three different voices.

"I wish I could have—"

"Don't drive too much! It's—"

"Could you shut up I cant he—"

"Hyungs! Please, one at a time, I only have two ears." Taehyung whined "Yoongi hyung, you go first because I haven't seen you the longest."

There was a beat of silence, then slight crackling before a smooth voice filled the room.

"Hey Tae, how's it been in the states?"

"Good! Jimin and I are beat from driving, though he doesn't do anything so I don't see why he should be tired."

Jimin let out an offended huff before shooting back, "listening to your poor attempts at rapping for hours is enough to make anybody want to sleep for weeks."

Before Taehyung could bite back with his own scathing remark, soft, static laughter permeated the room "I like this one Taehyung, you should keep him."

"Yoongi hyung!" Taehyung whined back, stretching out the vowels in the elders' name. "I want to talk to Jaehwan hyung now, at least he won't wound my heart!"

Yoongi only snorted before some beeps and a new voice filtered out of the speaker "Taehyung! My sweet child, I wish I could have gone to America with you. Make sure you take a lot of pictures for hyung ok? Oh! And take selfies too, I want to see my cute Taehyungie, it's been so long!"

"I will hyung." Taehyung smiled widely, happy to hear Jaehwans voice again.

"And don't forget to take pictures either Jimin! Hyung wants to see you both." Jaehwan sounded positively giddy.

Jimin smiled brightly, matching the look on Taehyungs face as he answered "Obviously I'm going to take selfies hyung, who do you think I am?"

Jaehwan started cracking up, possibly too much for Jimins response. The two boys heard a squeal and a thump before Minseoks voice came through.

"Sorry, he's had a bit too much coffee. His soul mate--Leo you remember?--got a new job the other day and has been very busy. But instead of talking out his feelings like a normal person, Jaehwan has decided to drown his sorrow in hundreds of different dessert flavored coffees." Minseok sighed, making the phone speaker crackle violently.

"Anyway, I'm glad to hear you boys are alright, but don't get stressed with driving too much—got it? Don't think I don't know about the all-nighter you pulled to get to Orlando."

"How did you--? Jimin, did you tell him?" Taehyung scrunched his eyebrows in confusion, look to his friend for an answer.

"No? I've been with you the whole time, and why would I want to ignite the wrath of motherly-Minseok hyung."

"I have trackers on your phones, remember?" Minseok broke the staring contest Jimin and Taehyung had fallen into, laughing at the boys exaggerated reactions.

Taehyungs phone started to beep, signifying he had another call.

"Ah, Minseok hyung I'm getting a call from Hakyeon hyung, he must be getting ready to go back home. I'll call you later, tell the hyungs I said goodbye!"

"Wait, Tae I wasn't finish—"

Taehyung felt a bit bad for cutting off Minseok hyung, but Jimin reached over to answer the phone before he could think more on the subject.

"Hakyeon hyung!" Jimin shouted before the other could make a sound.

"Jimin? I called Taehyung's phone right? Where is he?" Hakyeon seemed happy, and slightly panicky.

"It's all good, I'm right here hyung, you're on speaker."Taehyung responded "Are you ok? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, you know me, haha gotta be dramatic!" Hakyeon rushed out before a disgruntled hey!  was heard and a new voice spoke.

"He was worried, has been since you left. I've never seen a person cry so much, he could rival Niagara Falls in water production!" Wonshik's voice was jovial, poking harmless fun at Hakyeon.

"Aww, hyung, you cried for us?" Taehyung teased, laughing when Hakyeon took the phone back with audible struggle.

"You know what, I don't need this. I am a good god damn person! I'm leaving the states tomorrow and just wanted to make sure you were all right, but I see you're fine. Goodbye!" He rushed out one last sentence "eat good and return safe!" before the line went dead.

"That hyung is definitely something else." Jimin shook his head. "That was everybody right? Minseok hyung, Hakyeon hyung, Jaehwan hyung, Yoongi hyung..." Jimin trailed off before shouting "We forgot Kris hyung!"

Taehyung snapped his fingers in the air, eyes wide "You're right! Hold on I'll call him!"

The younger boy grabbed his phone, clicking through the contacts until he found Kris. The device rang a few times before going to voicemail.

"Why didn't he answer?" Taehyung frowned.

"Maybe the time zones? Or he's traveling." Jimin pointed out.

Taehyung shrugged before agreeing, "You're probably right. He'll call back later, or I'll just call him again. But for now, what do you say about dinner?"

"I'd say: what are we waiting for?"

***********************************************************************

7:30 A.M.

Miami International Airport

"I'm so excited to go to Chicago! I've always wanted to see The Bean!" Taehyung gushed as they went through security.

"The Bean?" Jimin questioned, face scrunched in confusion.

"You know, the big metal Bean?" He sat on a near-by bench to slip his shoes on "The one everybody takes a picture under when they visit Chicago?"

Jimin still looked confused and a bit skeptical.

"I'll show you a picture when we get to the gate, I'm telling the truth here!" Taehyung was quick to defend himself, but his excitement was still visibly boiling under the surface.

"Flight 483 to Chicago, O'Hare airport will begin boarding in thirty minutes. Flight 483 to Chicago, O'Hare will begin boarding in thirty minutes."

Taehyung looked up  despite knowing he wouldn't see the lady from the loudspeaker, looking back to Jimin once she stopped speaking.

"Come on, I have so many pictures to show you!"

Jimin faked an annoyed groan, smiling as he was pulled by Taehyung towards the gate.