SSI

How to Lose Your Friends in Twelve Months (or the Trip heard ‘round the World)

This is it, Taehyung thinks as he sits in the cold atmosphere of SSI's waiting room, no turning back now...

"Mr. Kim? Kim Taehyung? Ms. Choi will see you now"

**********************************Earlier***********************************

"Nope, no, not going to happen." Taehyung crosses his arms petulantly. "There is no way I am marching into SSI and requesting a gap year of all things, just so you guys can go on some crazy quest to find your soul mates. Find a different friend that can drive."

"Well, Jaehwan hyung can drive now..." The boy in question smiles proudly "only I don't trust him to operate any sort of moving vehicle. Ever." Yoongi finishes with a pointed look towards an offended Jaehwan.

"Well excuse me for having an optimistic personality, Mr. sloth!" Jaehwan sniffs and crosses his arms.

"Yeah well-"

"Ok kids, that's enough." Hakyeon cuts off their playful bickering. "Let's not forget we have very important matters to discuss. Such as getting our lovely friend Taehyung to win us a gap year from Soulmate Search International with his boyish charms so that we" He points to his discolored left eye "Can find the owners of these and live happily ever after, right? Right." With a nod Hakyeon turns his head towards the youngest member of their group. Taehyung just stares back, squinting in earnest before his gaze catches that the rest of the table is looking at him expectantly. Taehyung whines when he sees Minseok- the oldest! - giving him puppy eyes from across the table.

"Really hyung? You too?"

The staring becomes too much too fast, and really, Taehyung is weak when it comes to friends.

"Ok! Ok, fine I'll do it but if someone comes back without a soul mate I'm not looking again, got it?"

The table erupts into cheers that are quickly silenced by a passing waitress, though this doesn't stop them from talking over each other and planning what Taehyung just has to wear when he goes to SSI. Taehyung, ignoring the conversation, busies himself with picking at the table. Suddenly a small hand grabs his own, startling him out of his reprieve.

"Hey, it will all work out. I know it's scary but I'm sure you'll find your soul mate, it's destiny isn't it?" Minseok pats Taehyungs hand and smiles softly before turning to continue chatting with the others.

Yeah, Taehyung thinks sarcastically, since when has destiny screwed someone over?

**********************************Present*********************************

It's one in the afternoon and Taehyung wishes he was anywhere but the stiff chairs of the SSI waiting room. It wasn't like he hadn't dreamed of this moment, traveling world wide to find his proverbial other half. But right now, the only thing on his mind is his sister. She was young, lively, and came through the same building three years ago.

 Taehyung's sister found her soul mate in a bustling Brazilian city, and loved to include her soul mate into their conversations.

"She is so beautiful Taehyung, she has such lovely, long hair"    His sister would say.

Only he would never meet his sisters other half, and really, neither would she. Before the two connected, his sister's soul mate was hit by a car right in front of her eyes. She had been struck crossing the street to meet her destiny. Taehyung's sister came back different, delusional and trapped in her own mind. Her left eye was not hazel as it should be,but blood red to match her soul mate.

So to say Taehyung was nervous would be an understatement, he was completely terrified. Terrified that he'd end up like his sister, alone and painted red.

The longer he sits, the more he thinks and the harder his heart beats, his hands grow clammy.

This is it, no turning back now...

"Mr. Kim? Kim Taehyung? Ms. Choi will see you now."