Chapter 12

Ten
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(Eun Byul POV)

 

After an hour of traffic, we arrived at our mansion and my brother swiftly parked his car in the garage. Still engulfed in silence, we stepped out from the car. I heard a beeping sound, indicating that the car was locked.

 

I followed my brother stepping into the house. A few maids who happened to see us bowed politely. I gave them a polite smile and dragged my feet to the living room. I saw my older brother heading to the dining room. My usual cheerful brother looked so bothered this time. I sighed and let myself plopped down to the beige leather sofa. I leant back and closed my eyes to ease the pressure that I felt since I left the hospital.

 

A sharp pain abruptly attacked my frontal lobe. My right hand automatically held my head and I grimaced in pain. The pain lessened after a few seconds, leaving a nauseous feeling. I cupped my mouth and ran to the nearest bathroom.  I slammed the door and crouched down facing the toilet bowl. I felt the bile rising up in my throat and I couldn’t bear not to throw up. I lost count how many times I threw up. I kept throwing up and stopped after there wasn’t anything left.

 

I flushed the waste down and got up weakly. I rinsed my mouth with the flowing water from the tap and cleaned it with the tissues. I looked at my reflection on the mirror. A sickly pale girl with dark circles below her eyes looked back at me. The girl on the mirror looked so weak and was on the brim of tears.

 

A drop of tears fell on my right cheek. I was a tough girl and rarely let my tears down. My parents told me that I was never a cry baby. When I was a kid, I rarely cry even when I fell down or got my stuffs taken by the other kids. I roughly wiped the tear with my right hand and washed my face with the cold water. After I made sure my face looked better, I wiped the remaining water on my face with the tissue and threw them to the trash can.

 

I went out from the bathroom and walked to the sofa again. My brother had gotten back from the dining room and sat on the sofa. He was looking blankly at his cup of coffee in front of him. He looked up at me when he heard me approaching. He tried to smile cheerfully but his eyes reflected his sadness.

 

I sat down beside him and he ran down his fingers through my hair soothingly. I snuggled closer to him and let out a sigh.

 

“Will I be okay, oppa?” The voice which came out from my mouth surprised me a bit. I sounded so weak and helpless.

 

“You will, baby girl. Everything will be alright,” He replied calmly. He often called me with that nickname to tease me. Usually I would punch his arm for calling me with that cheesy nickname, but this time I felt okay with it. We were snuggling for sometimes until I heard footsteps approaching the living room.

 

I abruptly tried to hide the sadness from my face and put up a mask of usual Eun Byul. I put up a smile and looked at my parents who arrived together. My father carried my little brother. Judging by the shopping bags that were carried by the maids, they must be just back from shopping.

 

“Oh, you guys are back early,” My mother smiled warmly. She then went to the kitchen to assist the cooks of preparing tonight’s dinner.  I smiled and opened my arms widely. My little brother squirmed down from my father and ran to me. He kissed my brother’s cheek and then kissed mine. He settled on my lap and started to tell me his today activities in school. I absentmindedly listened to him.

 

I felt a soft tap by his little palm on my face. His innocent orbs looked at me curiously.

 

“Noona, you looked pale,” he said with his voice laced in worriedness. I shook my head quickly and smiled radiantly.

 

“No, Dong Ho ah, I just used too much powder today,” I rubbed my nose to his cheek. He giggled cutely and as a child he was, he accepted my reason without being suspicious with it. But my father couldn’t be fooled by that ridiculous reason.

 

“Yeah, you looked a bit paler, Eun Byul,” My father furrowed both of his eyebrows. Even though he was in his mid-40s, he still looked handsome as ever. He loosened his tie and looked at me worriedly.

 

“I couldn’t sleep well yesterday,” I told him more convincing reason. He just shrugged his shoulders and then proceeded to speak to Dong Hae Oppa about business things. I continued to play with Dong Ho until my mother called us to have dinner together. We were chatting as usual and soon I excused myself to go to my room.

 

I locked my room’s door and plopped down to the bed. I let out an exhausted sigh and let the tears streaming down freely. I cried and cried to let out my frustration. I tried not to cry too loud so my family wouldn’t know about it. After an hour of crying, I dragged myself to go showering. The warm water successfully calmed my nerves and I quickly wore my pajama. I combed my hair and looked at the reflection on the mirror. My eyes were slight swollen from the intense crying. I grabbed the eye mask that could be used to less the swollen and laid down on my bed. Too tired about today event, I wore the eye mask and went to sleep.

 

(Dong Hae POV)

 

I closed my room’s door slowly and switched on the lamp. I sat down on the sofa and switched on the television. I stared on the variety show playing without paying attention on it. It was actually my favorite variety show. I usually laughed when I saw the hosts joked with each other but with today’s event, my mind was blank and I couldn’t afford to let out any genuine smiles.

 

I switched off the television and leant back. My thought wandered to my talk with Kyuhyun this afternoon.

“I’m scared Dong Hae,” Kyuhyun said. I looked at him confusingly.

 

“Why?” I whispered that single word out. He rarely expressed his worries with us. He was a tough man who was rarely afraid of anything. There’s only a few times when he let his guard down. And this was one of the moments.

 

“The symptoms that Eun Byul told us just now weren’t just usual symptoms,” he started and stared down at his feet.

 

“What do you mean with it?” A shudder ran down my spine. There were thousands of possibilities ran down across my mind now hearing his words. I wouldn’t let a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter