between death and pain.

If I Lose You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luhan had never been this horrified before until he spewed out blood, which was out from the list of symptoms for his disease; and until the devil showed him just how wicked demons truly are. He began to wonder what he had done so wrong to deserve such punishment worse than his disease. It was when he saw with his own eyes Muyoung's body hung down from a tree with the rope around his neck and blood leaking from it. Luhan gasped in shock. His sweat began cascading excessively against his pale skin. "M-Muy-young?" he croaked shakily.

The next second he blinked his eyes, Muyoung's dead body wasn't there anymore, but that wasn't the end of his torture nonetheless. Spontaneously, he turned his head to the other side then the next side and another. Horror was all over his face when he found more.

There was more. More of his classmates were hung ruthlessly with their school uniforms all covered in blood and legs dangling free, including Eunjoo. It all seemed so real. 

Gasping for air, he got up on his feet and bolted through the huge trees; away from the terrorizing darkness  slowly swarming over him. He tripped halfway but managed to get back up despite the nonstop shaking of his legs. 

He ran. 

For what? 

What was he so scared about if he knows he's gonna die anyway? Maybe of his disease, or maybe he'll be like one of his classmates. Whatever happened to them, he was certain whoever did it wasn't human. It must be the demon. Needless to say, Sehun is human and would have nothing to do with an evil spirit nor killing his own classmates. 

His heart never stopped pounding rapidly and violently from the moment he met the man from his nightmares. He ran and ran without looking back or sideways. He didn't want to see them again. Maybe someone was controlling his imaginations or he was just going crazy because he hadn't taken his medicine since early in the morning. Either way, he was still frightened to death. He just wanted to wake up. He just wanted to run back to the camp and act like nothing happened.

'Running?

Go ahead.

Go straight.'

He continued running with heavy steps even though he was extremely dubious where he was heading. His visions were hazy and the only thing he was certain about was the fact that the voice was telling him to go straight. He wasn't sure himself whether he was just running to please the demon or running for his life.

Luhan could sense the threat from the voice in his head that if he follows the demon's direction then he would fall in the pit of hell. He knew it but he still ignored the warning. It was as if he had lost his ability to think properly the moment he witnessed his missing classmates' lifeless bodies.

'Playing tag?

Too bad, you have no escape.'

He only stopped when he found himself at a dead end cliff. Dread was written all over his face as he clutched his chest in despair.

'Are you giving up already?

That's disappointing. 

I was hoping you'll go straight.'

Go straight? Luhan asked on his mind, tears b at the rims of his eyes as he looked beneath the surface of the cliff. The voice kept on talking to him and pushing him for no apparent reason to do something horrible.

He could choose to end his pain right away by jumping off that cliff. All he really had to do was follow what his mind was telling him and everything would be the end for good. He would no longer hear the voice in his head or bear with the pain in his chest. He won't have to worry about dying while suffering an endless pain.  He won't have to worry about Sehun turning his back on him. No more studies, no more class president duties, no more drawing manga or reading manga. No more best friends. No more school. No more waiting for something to happen.

Just... No more Sehun.

'Wouldn't that be better?'

Baekhyun asked, as if he could read the latter's thoughts. 

'You won't have to suffer anymore.

You'll just disappear from this world. 

Don't you just want to end the pain earnestly?'

 

But Luhan was fighting the voice in his head with his heart. Forcing himself to back away which he only managed for a few seconds.

Why did he join the retreat in the first place if he's only going to give up at the end of the day? His head was telling him to give in and die for the demon ghost haunting him, however his heart was telling him the opposite. 

He had come this far, so why should he give up everything he wanted just because he was in pain and alone? 

 

'Hyung is mine.'

 

Luhan didn't understand the meaning behind those words but it sounded like the person was desperately imploring him to do it for him. Soon the glow in his eyes faded away slowly. The urge to fight back weakened and his knuckles turned white as he loosened the grip on his chest. 

Perhaps, he might really give in. 

The demon was so close to taking him over. Baekhyun couldn't be more relieved to see the human giving in to him. 

'You are nothing.'

Luhan took a step forward. He was losing himself, almost.

'Don't even try to be someone. 

You'll only suffer more.'

And another step forward. 

'It will never end if you don't-'

Something cut the voice short. Someone shrilled a name. Someone lurched forward and seized Luhan's fragile body. The demon ghost seemed disappointed at the intimate scene right in front of him. More like his whole world crumbled to the ground when he found the only person he loved enfolded another man in his arms, overprotectively.

Baekhyun contemplated about things that bothered him for a moment. Sehun had never held him so close like that. Sehun had never cried while hugging his body. Sehun had never done that to him before...

Sehun was so close to him and yet so far. 

He couldn't even touch him. 

Sehun wouldn't even look at him.

Sehun only had his eyes on that man...

'Why? 

Why can't I be him?'

Sehun held the boy so close. Remorseful tears gushed down his cheeks as he regretted leaving the boy alone at a time like that. He thought he would be safe if he avoided him. He thought he was protecting him but finding him at the edge of the cliff reminded him of how Baekhyun's first victim died. 

The only person he found was Luhan, in spite of that he could feel his brother's presence nearby.

As a matter of fact, Baekhyun was watching them, outraged when Sehun refused to look back at him. Then it suddenly hit him, what if Sehun can't see him anymore? Or what if Sehun was disheartened of him because of what he had done that he couldn't even look him in the eyes anymore?

It was when Sehun spoke in a brittle voice that it made the ghost fall into an agonizing realization that Sehun was frightened, not for him but the boy whose life he took away. No wonder he couldn't see him. Sehun was more than afraid of losing Luhan that it made him unable to see the ghost of his own brother.

Baekhyun never saw this coming. His twin brother chose another man over him.

 "Luhan," mumbled Sehun nervously before the smaller boy's body conked out in his arms.

 Sehun laid the body to the ground. He grabbed Luhan's wrist anxiously and put two of his fingers on the unconscious latter's wrist while carefully looking for his pulse.

He couldn't feel anything.

Frantically, he leaned in to the boy's chest and his eyes widened in fear when he discerned something was unequivocally wrong with the latter's body.

Luhan was unconscious. He had no pulse. He wasn't breathing. His heart had stopped.

He's...

"Damn it, Luhan! Luhan don't do this please. !" Sehun's lips quivered as he cursed over and over again. He shook the boy's body in hopes of waking him up but to no avail. He thought he already saved him by keeping him from f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter