Cold Coffee

How They Want Me To Be

The day after they fell asleep crying together, Kyungsoo wakes up first. He lays there for a moment, dazed. He can hear Jongin's light snores but it doesn't alarm him after sharing a room for weeks. The only thing that does alarm him, though, is the fact that Jongin's legs and arms are thrown over his own and it's really, really hard to get up. He contemplates waking the younger up for a moment but when he turns to look at him, sleeping deeply with a look of satisfaction on his face, he doesn't think he can. 

Instead, he tries to slide out from under him. He in his stomach and starts wiggling towards the edge of the bed. He hears Jongin mumble something and stops for a minute but after it's made clear the boy won't wake up, he continues on his adventure out of bed. He smiles as he's freed from Jongin's grasp, only to let out a high pitched scream the second after, as he overestimated the space left on the bed. He hits the floor with a sharp thud. 

"Huh?" Jongin's voice can be heard above him, and he closes his eyes in annoyance. His head hurt all because he was too afraid to wake up that loser. 

"Kyungsoo?" Jongin's face appears as he leans over the side of the bed. "Are you okay?" 

"Never better." Kyungsoo groans, sitting up. He's eye level with Jongin now and watches as the boy studies him. 

"Did you just fall out of the bed?" Jongin seems to be holding back a smile. Kyungsoo glares, shaking his head. 

"No! You pushed me out." Jongin snorts at his words, "I'm not making you breakfast." 

"What? Why?" Jongin whines. As usual, Kyungsoo thinks. 

"You pushed me out of bed!" Kyungsoo stands up and leaves the room, heading towards the bathroom.

Jongin sighs and gets up, too. He checks the time and sees he has an hour until his class, and forty-five minutes until Kyungsoo leaves for work. He decides to make breakfast instead of relying on Kyungsoo. It's half an hour into Jongin's kitchen fiasco (consisting of burnt toast, mangled eggs, and okay looking cups of juice) that Kyungsoo walks in, eyes wide. 

"I made breakfast. Sort of." Jongin explains to the shocked male. Kyungsoo eyes the food sitting on the table and his eyebrows raise almost on instinct. 

"It looks gross." He responds. Jongin opens his mouth to retort, but Kyungsoo takes a seat at the table anyway. Jongin follows suit, waiting for the older boy's reaction. 

"How is it?" Jongin asks nervously, eyeing the food on Kyungsoo's fork. Kyungsoo takes a hesitant bite, face scrunching up uncomfortably. 

"Well, it's salty. Like really salty. I don't know how eggs could be that sal-"

"I get it." Jongin interrupts dejectedly.  

"Go get ready for school. I'll just drive you today and we can get McDonalds or something." Kyungsoo says, picking up his plate and dumping it unceremoniously into the trash.

Jongin is surprised by the offer but nods anyway and leaves to get dressed. Kyungsoo looks at the disaster his kitchen and sighs. He admits it was nice of Jongin to try and make breakfast, but really, that boy should just stick with dancing. He remembers that Jongin has a competition Sunday and briefly considers going, but he figures that Krystal will be there and he doesn't think he could stand seeing her again. Tao and Suho seemed nice enough-- even that kid that he was eating with yesterday was fine, but somehow Krystal made him more mad than anyone. 

As he does the dishes, he suddenly realizes that he'll have to go to work and face the worker that Jongin had beaten up. Once Kyungsoo knew the whole story, he was proud that Jongin defended him like that. But he was also scared to go back to work. If people said that stuff before and he didn't notice, were they saying it now? He was positive that there were rumors flying around after yesterday. Everyone in the company knew who Kim Jongin was and what he supposedly meant to Kyungsoo. He feels like he might cry thinking about it again, but Jongin's footsteps snap him out of it. 

The car ride is silent, although they listen to music this time. Kyungsoo is nodding along with the beat, and he can see Jongin's foot tapping too. He hides a smile, turning back to the road, focusing on finding food and Jongin's school.

"What can we get for you?" The voice is scratchy through the speaker. Kyungsoo hums under his breath as he reads the drive-thru menu. 

"One medium black coffee." Kyungsoo says before turning to Jongin. "What do you want?" 

"Uh. . . Iced vanilla coffee. And a chicken sandwich." Kyungsoo nods and repeats the order. He hears the total and pulls forward, only to turn to Jongin suddenly. 

"Chicken? It's nine in the morning. And that sounds disgusting with coffee." He points out. 

"I'm hungry." Jongin shrugs. "Why didn't you get any food?" 

"I just don't normally eat breakfast outside of home. The coffee only really helps me stay awake-" 

"You don't like coffee?" Jongin interjects with a shocked tone.

"Not really. It's gross and bitter." Kyungsoo frowns at his statement, and Jongin notices his mouth twitch as he seems to remember the taste. 

Jongin can't believe how stupid that is. Why order coffee if you don't like the taste? And to drink something you dislike with no food, that just sounded like torture to him. 

"Don't drink coffee if you don't like it!" Jongin asks incredulously. 

"I need to stay awake for work." Kyungsoo explains. He looks away as the drive-thru window opens. He smiles at the girl who hands him their bag of food, and says thank you, handing over money. 

Jongin huffs and grabs the boys black coffee before he can. Kyungsoo looks at him, eyes wide, before nodding at his coffee in the hands of Jongin. 

"What are you doing?" Kyungsoo asks rather loudly, earning a strange look from the worker in the drive-thru. Jongin the opening of the coffee and takes a big gulp of the steaming hot drink. It burns his throat a little, but he's made a point. 

"You shouldn't drink gross stuff just to stay awake. Drink mine. It's sweeter." Jongin challenges as he takes another swig of coffee. Kyungsoo rolls his eyes and pulls out of the drive-thru, glaring at Jongin the whole time. 

Jongin thinks he might actually be mad at him for a moment, but he doesn't fail to notice Kyungsoo's pale hand reach down and grab the iced coffee from the console. He smiles to himself as Kyungsoo takes a small sip, face not nearly as pained as earlier. 

"You like it, don't you?" Jongin asks happily. Kyungsoo sets the drink down and looks away, shaking his head. 

"No. It's just less gross." He argues.

"Admit it! You're thankful, right? Because I sacrificed my coffee to you-" 

"Thanks." Kyungsoo interrupts impatiently. Jongin stops talking and looks at his hands, a small blush forming on his cheeks. It's moments like this that he realizes how nice Kyungsoo has the potential to be. 

Jongin looks up to see Kyungsoo quickly turn his head. His cheeks are slightly pink and Jongin thinks he just caught Kyungsoo looking at him. Before he can marvel at how odd this is, they pull up to the main building of his department. 

"We have dinner with the company tonight, so we'll leave around 7-" 

Kyungsoo's cut off from telling Jongin the plans when a tall, blonde boy pops up outside Jongin's window. Kyungsoo jumps a little as the boy smiles and knocks on the window. Jongin looks worriedly at Kyungsoo before he realizes that the knocking is from behind him and he turns around. Noticing it's Sehun, he smiles and rolls down his window. 

"Sehun!" Jongin greets happily. "Sorry I didn't say bye yesterday at the restaurant." 

Kyungsoo realizes who the boy is suddenly and has a flashback of blonde hair and shocked expressions from the table Jongin was seated in. Sehun. He lets the name sink in, but he doesn't think Jongin's ever said anything about the boy before. 

Sehun laughs then, shaking his head. "I figured you were a little busy beating people up. Oh! By the way, are your hands okay? I couldn't tell who's blood it was, but I helped one of the employees mop it up." 

"You mopped it up? That's disgusting. Don't do that." Jongin says disapprovingly, almost jokingly. Kyungsoo realizes that the two are friends. It's foreign to him, to see Jongin with a carefree smile. 

"I recognize him, too." Sehun points out, leaning further down to smile at Kyungsoo. He stares back, shocked, and makes an effort to awkwardly smile in response. 

"That's my husband, Kyungsoo." Jongin explains. Kyungsoo doesn't know how he says it that easily. The thought of marriage and the reasons behind their union still make him feel used. 

Sehun's eyes widen knowingly and he smiles to himself. "That explains a lot. Nice to meet you!" 

"Nice to meet you, too." Kyungsoo smiles for real this time, although small. Jongin watches him, hypnotized, and Sehun clears his throat. 

"Jongin, we should probably get going if we're going to make it to the lecture." He says shyly, seemingly feeling uncomfortable with the couple. 

"Oh, okay." Jongin nods and opens the door after grabbing his (or Kyungsoo's, technically) coffee. He turns back around suddenly, looking at Kyungsoo. 

"Dinner at 7, right? I'll wear blue this time, so don't dress too dark." Jongin laughs slightly as he says it. Kyungsoo can't believe he's teasing him.

"Part your hair differently, idiot." He retorts, driving off immediately. He can't tell if it's because he wanted the last word, or to hide the small smile forming on his lips. 

Even though he still had to go face people at work, he was glad Jongin had a friend. 

--

Work is as bad as he expected. Everyone seems to have heard the news of the fight, and they're all glaring at him like he did something wrong. It wasn't like he could go complain to his dad that there were kids making fun of him. He wasn't in second grade. He was preparing to be the owner of a large business, and he needed to handle things himself. 

"Sir, I want you to know that I'm completely on your husband's side." Baekhyun says as soon as Kyungsoo enters his office. He turns to stare at his secretary. 

"Why are you so wholeheartedly on his side?" Kyungsoo asks suspiciously. Even Victoria, who was as loyal and sweet as secretaries could get, wouldn't have jumped on board with Jongin so quickly. 

"You decided to marry him, and I trust your judgement. So I trust his." Baekhyun explains with big eyes, almost pleading Kyungsoo to say something nice. Kyungsoo feels guilty that this newbie who just wants to be appreciated for his work is being lied to, and he almost wants to tell him that he didn't really choose to marry Jongin, but he realizes how badly that could go.

"Well, thank you for trusting him so much. I'm completely on his side as well." 

"It's no problem, sir." Baekhyun smiles widely. Kyungsoo gets an idea suddenly on how he can help Baekhyun feel more accepted in the company and can barely hold in a smile. 

"You know, there's a company dinner tonight. And my friend wanted to go, but he's kind of shy." Kyungsoo starts. He watches as Baekyun nods, hooked on every word. 

"I was wondering if someone more experienced could help him enjoy the dinner. I'm sure he'd love a friend who knows a lot about the business world." 

Kyungsoo can tell that he used just the right words by the way Baekhyun smiles. 

"Of course! It'd be my honor, sir! I won't let you down, I'll teach him everything I know!" Baekhyun is smiling so widely that Kyungsoo thinks his cheeks might crack and he holds in a giggle when Baekhyun bows. 

"Great. His name's Chanyeol," Kyungsoo says, scribbling down his friend's number. "Call him around lunch time and tell him you'll be escorting him. I'm sure you'll be a great help to Chanyeol and the company." 

Baekhyun takes the note with Chanyeol's number on it with shaking hands, looking as though Kyungsoo had just given him a raise. He thanks Kyungsoo profusely again and then leaves the room with a spring in his step. Kyungsoo has realized that Baekhyun isn't that annoying, he just wants to do well at his first job. 

Before Kyungsoo does any actual work, he pulls out his phone, sending Chanyeol a quick text. 

To Chanyeol: You're coming to the company dinner tonight. My secretary wanted to go and I'm using you as an excuse so he feels like he's doing really well in the company. Don't freak out when he calls you later. See you tonight and thanks!!

-----------

 

OK THIS ONES NOT VERY LONG but i just wanted to thank you guys so much for the support!!!!! really i didn't expect anyone to read this and when people comment it makes me so happy you don't even know 

also baekyeol just kind of happened??? it was accident but yeah so expect baekyeol in later chapters//the next chapter ((i should probably add it to the tags now that i'm thinking about it.....)) 

THANK YOU SO MUCH I LOVE YOU ALL PLEASE COMMENT IT INSPIRES ME AND I LOVE IT THE MOST!!

hearing feedback is the best thing about posting fanfics for real ily stay cute and amazing