Like Home

How They Want Me To Be

The transition from Chanyeol's apartment to their newlywed apartment, as Baekhyun had called it, was like one giant dream. Nothing felt real to Kyungsoo. Or Jongin, for that matter. The news of disownment was still so fresh, and now they had a place that was completely their own, a future that could become anything, a love to fight for. Rings to buy, Jongin kept reminding. 

They also had a new dog to take care of. They weren't planning to, really, but they'd seen it sitting on the street by their apartment complex without a collar or tags. Kyungsoo felt bad for it and said "that's so sad" as they passed, but Jongin was inconsolable until the dog was in their apartment. 

"Have you guys decided on a name for her?" Chanyeol asks, nodding towards the small, white ball of fluff chasing her tail on the floor.

She stands out against the wood flooring and empty space where a couch should be. Their apartment is only half furnished and barely feels lived in (it's only been a week, though, so Kyungsoo is positive that soon it will feel like home.)

"Jongin hasn't really decided, and he's worried to get all attached in case she does have an owner out there." Kyungsoo shrugs from his seat on the floor. "Plus, with him always being at school, and me job hunting, it's really hard to think about a lot of other things." 

"Like planning your entire wedding?" Baekhyun pipes up from the bathroom.

Seriously, why did he have to listen in on other people's conversations while he's peeing? Kyungsoo sighs and nods because, yeah, that's been a high priority, high stress factor of the last week. 

"Jongin just wants to do a little thing at the beach, go for dinner, and call it a night. We already live together, and the world thinks we've been together for almost four months, so. . ." Another shrug from Kyungsoo, this time followed by a soft pat on the dog's head. 

"But that's so boring. There's no pizzazz!" Baekhyun whines as he walks back into the room. He takes his seat next to Chanyeol, in the only two kitchen chairs currently in the apartment. 

Kyungsoo doesn't feel like he needs pizzazz because he already has Jongin, but he avoids a useless argument with Baekhyun and stays quiet. A few minutes of silence pass as the couple in the room eat their packed lunches at the table.

Abruptly, Baekhyun stands up to throw his napkin away, and turns to give Kyungsoo a beaming smile, "I guess I have to go back to the office. It's not as fun now without you. . ." 

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, knowing that although Baekhyun up to him because of Chanyeol, his replacement is more lenient than Kyungsoo ever was. Baekhyun had told him that Minseok had been promoted to Kyungsoo's position, and that he allowed for a 90 minute lunch break. Baekhyun had meant to keep him informed, but ended up just gloating about how nice of a boss Minseok was. 

"Don't lie to yourself too much, Baekhyun." He responds, a sly look thrown to his former assistant. 

Chanyeol waves to Kyungsoo on the way out, making sure to keep the puppy from getting too close to the door with his foot. Kyungsoo grabs the small dog, holding it close to him as Chanyeol blows a kiss their way and exits. 

A sigh of relief, and the quiet moment away from his friends hits him like a gust of wind. Kyungsoo sets the dog back down and lays down on the floor, closing his eyes. As excited as he is for this new life with Jongin, he feels so overwhelmed sometimes. He's so scared that he'll never get another job, that the charm of liking him will fade and Jongin will regret doing all of this. That one day he'll wake up and he'll be alone, in an apartment, with no family, and Jongin will want nothing to do with him. 

He knows it's illogical, but he can't help the thoughts creeping up on him, choking him into fear. He needs to work, he needs to distract himself. Kyungsoo can't stand the worrying, and he can't stand sitting at home while Jongin works hard everyday. 

Kyungsoo's thoughts distract him for longer than he'd thought, because in what seemed like five minutes, he could hear the clinking of Jongin's keys against the door. His heart leaps and he scrambles off the floor, towards the one thing that's been making sense in the last week. 

By the time the door is open, Kyungsoo is already almost in Jongin's arms. The soft warmth of him is there, the smell of Jongin fills the space in his head that'd been so empty and so worried just minutes before. 

"How was school?" Kyungsoo asks softly, voice muffled by Jongin's hoodie. A light laugh rumbles through Jongin's chest like thunder. 

"It was school. . . Sehun accidentally fell asleep and got yelled at in a lecture, though, so that was fun." Jongin giggles as he tells the story, and Kyungsoo slowly walks backwards, letting Jongin finally leave the doorway. With the door shut and the puppy jumping up to greet Jongin, the apartment feels a little more like a house. 

Jongin drops his bag on the floor and kicks off his shoes. He stretches and makes a noise that leaves a smile on Kyungsoo's face, and before Jongin can ask what they should eat for dinner, they're kissing.

It's warm and happy and Jongin's lips are soft and Kyungsoo is smiling into it. Kyungsoo pulls away first, only to kiss Jongin's cheeks and neck and everything he can reach, but Jongin laughs. 

"It tickles!" He giggles, and pushes Kyungsoo away softly, blocking his blushing face from his husband's view. 

"Why can't I kiss your face?" A dejected Kyungsoo frowns. He feels playful, and he's barely even embarrassed for acting like this. He feels married.

Jongin's eyes sparkle in the way that only his can as his hands drop from his face.

The taller boy moves closer with tiny steps, so soft that he lips feel like a feather on the elder's cheek. A long, soft kiss to the right of his nose, then the to the left, before Jongin moves up to kiss both eyelids. 

It's Kyungsoo's turn to blush and feel ticklish, but he stays quiet, only listening to the heavy breathing from his husband. 

"You're not good at it. You have to be soft." He corrects. "Like this." 

Jongin pecks his lips, and moves downward, leaving a trail of kisses to the collar of Kyungsoo's shirt, and a moan on Kyungsoo's lips. With each kiss, Jongin smiles into Kyungsoo's warm skin and murmurs "like this." 

"See?" He smiles triumphantly, pinching Kyungsoo's cheek and walking past to go to the kitchen.

Kyungsoo feels like he might actually pass out.

It didn't help that after dinner, Jongin repeated all of his previous actions. Kyungsoo got the chance to try, too, kissing every part of Jongin that he'd wanted to for so long. The nape of his neck, the little freckle on his right hand, his forehead. The night was just another instance that felt dream-like, otherworldly, blissful beyond belief. 

-- 

Jongin hadn't expected that living with Kyungsoo in the apartment would be so different. In their old house, their master bedroom and kitchen felt like the only real shared space. They shared the living room one night, but that was the also the last night they were allowed in the house, so it didn't seem as fond a memory.

But here, in this (soon-to-be fully) furnished apartment, everything was Kyungsoo. There was his towel, the scent of him on both pillows, notes with his handwriting all over the fridge. Everywhere Jongin went, Kyungsoo breathed through. 

Waking up when they both knew the other's feelings and reciprocated them was unbelievably amazing to Jongin. He could look straight into Kyungsoo's eyes, smile, hold him close. They could cuddle until the alarm went off again, they could whisper what their plans were that day. They could make jokes about when their child-- the puppy who they'd affectionately started Jjang-ah-- would run in, looking for attention and breakfast.

Even going to school had a new feeling, when he knew that his Kyungsoo would be home when he got there. That he'd be waiting with warm smiles and soft lips. 

Sitting next to Sehun during a lecture, daydreaming about anything but what the professor was ranting about, he planned everything that he'd ever need to say to Kyungsoo, and how he'd ever thank his parents enough.

"Jongin. . .  Jongin!" Sehun's voice snaps him out of his daze and he looks up, confused. "Your phone's been getting notifications for like fifteen minutes straight. Check it. It stresses me out to see all those texts go unread." 

Jongin grabs his phone quickly, unlocking it to see the notifications for seven texts, all from Kyungsoo, and one missed call from an unknown number.

From Kyungsoo: Furniture is getting delivered! Excited! 

From Kyungsoo: Moving guy left door open, Jjang-ah got out. 

From Kyungsoo: Looking for her with Chanyeol. Will keep you updated. :(

From Kyungsoo: this is chanyeol..kyungsoo was dumb & ran out to grab ur dog. car hit him JUST a little bit

From Kyungsoo: hes in er rn. i have his phone

From Kyungsoo: he'll be ok. dog is inside ur apartment. hospital tried to call u 

From Kyungsoo: he prob wants u to come if u can? 

Jongin can't breathe. He knows that Chanyeol said he'd be fine, but how fine is fine? He feels tears building up and he jumps out of his seat. 

"Take notes for me. I'll text you later, Kyungsoo's hurt." Is all he can blurt out to Sehun before he's already sprinted out of the lecture hall.

The pressure on his chest is unbearable and he feels like he's going to burst if he doesn't see Kyungsoo soon. He drives to the hospital in a blur, and almost bursts out crying when Chanyeol waves to him in the ER. 

"What happened?" Jongin demands, voice hoarse. 

"I told you. He was a and chased the dog out into the road. Some guy on a motorcylce didn't stop fast enough and knocked him over." Jongin's face tenses at that. "He's fine, but the guy was freaking out and wouldn't let him go if he didn't agree to get a check up." 

"Are you sure he's really fine? Positive?" Jongin questions intensely. Chanyeol sighs and reaches a hand up to rest on Jongin's shoulder. 

"He's completely fine. Just fell over. He even kept holding on to the dog. How badly could he be injured if he could do that?"

Jongin frowns and nods, slightly relieved. He sits down on the hard plastic chairs next to Chanyeol, releasing the built-up tension in his shoulders. A few moments pass before a slender, handsome man makes his way up to Jongin. 

"Hello, I'm Zhang Yixing. I'm the one who accidentally hit your husband?" Handsome stranger says with an apologetic smile on his face. Jongin smiles weakly back and shakes his hand. 

"Is he hurt?" Jongin inquires again. Chanyeol rolls his eyes and nudges Jongin's shoulder as a silent way to say stop it. 

Yixing gives a charming smile, "I hope not. I barely hit him, but I was really worried." 

Jongin nods back. Yixing searches his pockets for his wallet suddenly, and he pulls out a business card. He smiles again to Jongin and hands it over, nodding approvingly when Jongin accepts it.

A business card with his smiling face on it. Jongin wishes he wasn't so charming, but the smiling man on the card advertising his dance studio makes a convincing salesman. He thinks that maybe a dance studio friend wouldn't be so lousy to have, especially once he leaves school and has no other way to dance in a professional atmosphere. 

"In case anything comes up, you can reach me at this address or at this phone number. I'm really busy today so I need to leave, but tell your husband I'm sorry!" Yixing bows slightly and jogs out of the ER, already putting his helmet back on. 

"He's so cute. If I wasn't with Baekhyun, I wouldn't mind him hitting me with a motorcycle. If you know what I mean--" Chanyeol is cut off with a smack on the shoulder from Jongin. A warning glare is shot to him, a threat that Baekhyun will hear about this if he says any more. 

A doctor walks into the waiting room and seems to search around for someone, eyes landing on Chanyeol. She makes her way over to the pair, holding up her clipboard. 

"You're here for Mr. Do?" 

Jongin jumps up, nodding frantically."How is he?"

"He's fine. Just going to have a bruised right leg from falling. That's about it. He'll actually be out in a minute or so if you could sign these release forms?" She gestures towards her clipboard once more, then Jongin, who nods even more enthusiastically. 

Three papers later, Jongin is greeted by a slightly limping Kyungsoo. He decides it's a million times better than what he'd first imagined when he saw the messages, and he's grateful. 

He doesn't hug his husband too hard because he's scared, but Kyungsoo squeezes him and whispers "I'm fine" at least three times. It makes Jongin's racing heart beat slow down at least a little, and they make their way out of the hospital. 

"That was a hassle. I'm completely fine, but they checked me over and over. I just want to go home." Kyungsoo whines once he's in the passenger seat. 

"Okay, let's go home. Can you make it up the stairs or are we gonna have to take the elevator like old people today?" Jongin teases, feeling reassured once he sees Kyungsoo roll his eyes. 

"I'm just joking. But you are older than me. . . You are an old person. My elderly husband." 

Kyungsoo makes a frustrated noise, but it soon turns into a giggle, and the rest of the ride home is filled with jokes about how archaic Kyungsoo is, and just how much Jongin loves him. 

 

 

-------------------------------

 

 

alkdnfkdlnflkdnalkdnfld im SO sorry. im actually the worst author... EVER. i took like? a year hiatus? from this???? god. im so sorry. im back and im going to do my best to finish this story up (in the next 2-5 chapters prob). my laptop broke and school was a and there was family stuff and just ? so much. im sorry but ill try my hardest for u guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! if anyone still wants to read this :( sorry once again

this chapter wont make up for it kdfk im terribly sorry.