Romeo and. . . Juliet?

How They Want Me To Be

Jongin arrives to their newly shared house twenty minutes before Kyungsoo does, and this gives him just enough time to explore the house alone. He was told by his father that the house they'd share was owned by Kyungsoo's grandparents, and so he'd know the layout.

Jongin, though, was clueless and decided to show up early and check it out. There are pictures everywhere. Some old family portraits, probably a couple generations ago, some of what he assumes to be Kyungsoo's mother, and some of even Kyungsoo as a child. He guesses that this is him by the face, but his suspicions are confirmed when he finds a scrapbook that explicitly tells of who everyone is.

It's after he looks around and starts to unpack his things in the master bedroom that he hears Kyungsoo open the door and enter. He peeks out into the hallway and sees the boy taking off his shoes. 

"Kyungsoo. . ." Jongin calls softly, not wanting to make him mad again. 

Instead, Kyungsoo's eyes go comically wide and he looks around frantically. He sets down his suitcase and tiptoes over to the fireplace, grabbing the sharpest poker. Kyungsoo scans the room, looking for threats, before he locks eyes with Jongin. He shrieks a little and drops the weapon. He sighs out loud and puts a hand over his heart to calm himself, now glaring at the boy. 

"I thought there was a murderer in my house!" Kyungsoo screams. Jongin can barely suppress the smile as realizes the yelling was just to make up for his fear. 

"Didn't mean to scare you." Jongin shrugs, turning toward the bedroom once again.

He likes the Kyungsoo from today more than when they first met. He doesn't know why, but he doesn't seem as venomous. Maybe he was starting to get over his anger? 

"Why are you in the master bedroom, though? Shouldn't that be mine?" Kyungsoo speaks up. Jongin can hear him walking towards the bedroom and he turns around, confused. 

"Aren't we sharing it?" He asks, gesturing to the lavish room behind him. It would be a waste for only one person to get this.

"We're not actually married." Kyungsoo shakes his head slowly, before continuing, "Not because we wanted to, anyway. Why would we share?" 

Just when Jongin thought he was starting to like this version of Kyungsoo, he had to go and ruin it. It wasn't as if he wanted to get married to the boy in the first place. If he wasn't going to act slightly like a husband, the least he could do is let his guest have the biggest bedroom. 

"But it's such a big room. And we are legally married. Doesn't it make you feel weird to be legally married and not share a room?" Jongin asks. 

"No. We're not having a sleepover. We're sharing a house so that the press doesn't get the wrong idea. That's it." Kyungsoo says this as if it's obvious. 

"Jeez, so mean. How are you supposed to act like you love me later tonight? Your dad should've thought more of your acting skills. . ." Jongin huffs and walks back into the bedroom. 

"You better be packing your stuff back up." Kyungsoo warns. Jongin rolls his eyes and mimics his voice quietly to himself while his back is turned to the other boy. 

"I am." He responds sullenly, pouting his way out of the door and past a confused Kyungsoo. 

"Why is he so mad? It's my house!" Kyungsoo says to himself as he watches Jongin storm towards the bedroom next door. 

--

"Are you wearing green or blue?" Kyungsoo asks for what he thinks must be the hundredth time. Again, no response from Jongin. "Green or blue?!" 

He's positive that Jongin can hear him from a room away. He doesn't know why he's being so difficult, but then he remembers his anger over not getting the master bedroom. He sighs and wonders to himself if Jongin would stop being annoying if he got the bedroom. He looks over to his shelves and closet, already unpacked, and groans. Why does he have to be so whiny? 

"Kim Jongin, green or blue? Answer or you're not getting the master bedroom." 

He can hear footsteps from the bedroom next to his immediately, and the door is flung open to reveal Jongin in a dark green shirt. 

"Green." He says, looking expectantly at Kyungsoo. 

"Okay, I'll wear black then." Kyungsoo nods and turns away from Jongin. The taller boy stands there, waiting. "What?" 

"You just said I could have the master bedroom." Jongin explains to the older boy. He sighs internally. Right. He spares another look at his belongings already unpacked and gives up. 

"We can just share it since I'm already unpacked. But don't get any weird ideas." Kyungsoo warns the boy and he nods happily. 

"You know, I've always lived in a big house, but my parents always had my aunts and uncles over, and so I never got to have a big room like this. I love it." Jongin notes quietly, something Kyungsoo notices Jongin does a lot when he doesn't think he's listening. 

As Kyungsoo brushes his hair and gets ready, choosing the right black top to go with his black pants, he can hear Jongin behind him, rustling and unpacking. 

"Are you going to wear black on black?" Jongin asks (rather judgmentally, Kyungsoo may add) after he's done unpacking. 

"Yes. You're wearing green. Black and green look good." Kyungsoo ignores the scoff from behind him. 

"I'll change into blue if it means that you wear something brighter than that." Jongin teases, but Kyungsoo turns around and glares. 

"Don't make fun of how I like to dress. I don't make fun of the dumb way you part your hair." 

"You just did!" Jongin gasps, but Kyungsoo smirks and stands up. 

"It's time to leave if we're not planning on missing the whole gala. Come on." 

--

Jongin and Kyungsoo walk in arm and arm, both trying their best to look like a couple. Jongin notices all the knowing looks when people see them together, and he suddenly feels like he's for sale in an auction or something with everything staring straight at him. He spots the kids of some of his father's friends coming over to greet him and Kyungsoo. He freezes, suddenly realizing that they don't have a story or know anything about each other. 

"What do I do, they know me. They'll know that I don't fall in love in a week and a half." Jongin whispers to Kyungsoo, leaning down to get on his ear level. Kyungsoo tilts his head so it looks as though the two are talking in private, but the frown on his face takes over. 

"Haven't you ever dated? Just act like you're in love. It'll work." Kyungsoo responds confidently. Jongin is unsure if he can act the part of puppy love, but he takes a deep breath and smiles at the group coming towards them. 

"Jongin! It's been awhile. I mean, you already got married!" Suho, one of the boys he grew up being tutored with, exclaims. 

He laughs nervously and looks down at Kyungsoo in what he hopes to be a sweet manner. 

"Yeah, I can't believe it! When I was younger I thought you had a crush on me, but now you're married to Kyungsoo. . ." Krystal laughs out in a nonchalant way.

Jongin blushes deep red because he'd grown up living in the same neighborhood and sharing the playground with her since they were five, and he really did have a big crush on her until a year ago. Kyungsoo seems to notice and watches intensely as Jongin gets his face back under control. 

"So, how did you two meet? I want all the details since you guys won't give any interviews. . ." Tao, son of one of his father's Chinese trade partners, asks. 

Jongin stiffens suddenly, not knowing what false story to tell. Kyungsoo, seemingly left out of the conversation up to this point, butts in. 

"We were both at a party for our parents' work, and you know how they hated each other. Well, basically I saw him dancing and thought he was really handsome-- he does ballet, you know, so he was good. And we talked and basically wanted to date. But our parents wouldn't allow it so we threatened to elope, and they let us be together. And now the companies merged and everyone's happy. Even our fathers are getting along now." Kyungsoo explains with a charming smile. Jongin finds himself smiling, giddy at Kyungsoo's ability to make up the story so quickly. 

"That's. . .not as romantic as I thought it would be." Krystal giggles into her hand, leaning towards Suho to whisper something.

Kyungsoo feels offended that she would feel the need to say that. It's not even a real story, he'd never seen Jongin dance, and he wasn't the type to elope ever, but he still felt as if this Krystal girl was trying to make him feel inferior. 

"Actually, it was." Kyungsoo feels his pride growing as he thinks of more of the story to tell. "I saw him dancing, and when I went over to him, he was really shy. So I asked him to teach me the dance he was doing. It was the waltz and he danced with me for an hour before we had to go back to the tables with our families. After the party he snuck off and found me, and we danced when the ballroom was all empty. No music, just us. And we were about to kiss when his parents walked in." 

Krystal blanches, looking to Jongin for confirmation. He nods dumbly, grip on Kyungsoo's arm tightening as if to tell him to calm the story down. 

"You should've seen it, he was hysterical. He kept calling me, texting me, saying that he missed me. So we met up a couple times before we decided we had to be together." Kyungsoo feels like he put Krystal in her place and smiles internally. "And here we are." 

"That's really sweet." Suho congratulates, smiling at the both of them like a mother.  

"Do you still remember the dance?" Krystal asks. It's Kyungsoo's turn to freeze, but luckily Jongin has the situation under control this time. 

"Of course he does! Come on, we'll show you." Jongin unlinks his arm and grabs Kyungsoo's hand, pulling him towards the center of the room where several couples are dancing. 

Kyungsoo doesn't really know how to dance the waltz and so he struggles immensely, but with Jongin leading him, he soon finds the pattern and keeps his pace steady. 

Jongin leans down to talk to him while they dance, which Kyungsoo thinks is equal parts weird and funny because of the way he has to bend his neck. 

"That story was pretty good for making it up as you go along. I gotta hand it to you, good thinking." Jongin whispers so that no one else can hear their conversation. Kyungsoo looks seriously into his eyes, searching for sarcasm. 

"Really? That was literally the story of Romeo and Juliet except we threaten to elope instead of committing suicide." Kyungsoo deadpans to the younger boy. Realization shows in Jongin's eyes and he laughs slightly. 

"Nevermind. You're not that imaginative anymore." Jongin jokes, and Kyungsoo finds himself smiling. 

"You're stupid. I'm always imaginative." 

"Why were you that imaginative, though? You didn't have to go that into detail, you made me nervous." Jongin asks quietly, his neck still bent at an awkward angle. 

"Didn't you see how that Krystal girl was looking at me? She totally didn't believe me. She even told me that it wasn't romantic! Sure, it's not real, but imagine if it was. You don't tell someone that." Kyungsoo huffs at the thought of their conversation. 

"She was just messing with you, that's how she is." Jongin explains, but Kyungsoo looks at him, scandalized. 

"She was not messing around. She wanted blood. I could sense it." Kyungsoo argues, but Jongin shakes his head, lifting it away from Kyungsoo. 

"Mhm." Jongin agrees just to make him be quiet, and they finish their dance out in silence.

He spends the rest of the night thinking of their version of Romeo and Juliet, telling it to everyone he introduces Kyungsoo to. Kyungsoo gives him a weird look the first time, but after the third person he tells the full story to, Kyungsoo gets used to it and nods along. 

 

 

======

a/n: OH MY GOD i didn't expect people to read this at all???? much less so many in one night??? and people subscribed!! im gonna cry you guys rock '

 

this is word vomit bc i felt like you guys desrved an update ily all BYE