First Meetings

How They Want Me To Be

Kyungsoo is positive that he's heard wrong when his father brings it up at dinner. He laughs slightly to himself, shaking his head as he digs into his steak. 

"Funny, father. You really shouldn't joke about stuff like that." Kyungsoo looks up to give a disapproving look to his father, only to be met with the older man's serious glare. 

"I'm not joking, Kyungsoo." He deadpans. Kyungsoo chokes slightly on his food, stopping to drink water. His already big eyes are widening in shock. 

"What? You can't do that! I'm not even a minor, I mean. . . I should have a say!" Kyungsoo screeches incredulously. He stands up from his seat and runs towards his father's side of the table. His footsteps echo in the empty dining room, too big for the two of them. 

"Both Kim Enterprises and our company are failing. It's time for us to throw away old grudges and stay alive." His father declares this as though it's a simple fact, and not an arranged marriage for his only child. 

"But. . . I don't even know that family. All my life you told me to hate them because they ed us over in a business deal like a hundred years ago. And now you want me to marry some girl to save your company?" Kyungsoo gives his father pleading eyes. He knows it won't work. His father is stone cold when it comes to business, no matter if it involved him. 

"Actually, it's a son. Kim Jongin. I've heard he's very nice-" 

"I don't care if he's nice! I don't know him!" Kyungsoo storms out of the dining room in a huff. 

He can't believe his father would do this to him. Yeah, arranged marriage was always a possibility, but he'd thought it was very, very low on the list. If anything, he'd planned on getting to inherit the business and marry whoever he wanted. Now he had to share his future company, the one he'd been studying to run since five, with some guy who he thought he was supposed to hate. And he had to get married to said guy. Who cared if he was nice? 

It's later that night when one of the maids knocks on his door and says that his father would like to see him that he realizes just how true the reality of this arranged marriage is. His father would always let him be unless there was something urgent. 

When he arrives in his father's study, he definitely doesn't expect what he finds. There are pictures of his mother everywhere, and some of his father's favorite books are out. Kyungsoo thinks he can spot his fourth grade report card on the lounge, and he squints as he looks around the room. Almost all of the things his father takes pride in are out on display, and there's three empty suitcases sitting open on the couch. 

"Father. . . What's this?" He asks confusedly, sneaking glances at his mother's picture. It'd been almost a year since he'd last seen it since his father only got them out on her memorial day and birthday. He subconsciously notes that she still looks pretty, even though he knew she wouldn't age in the photo.

"I'm letting you take whatever you like. I feel terrible after seeing your reaction at dinner. I didn't think you'd be so against it." Kyungsoo glares at him for that comment. 

"You thought I'd accept it easily? Father, it's not what I want!" Kyungsoo starts to feel his blood boil again. Honestly, how many times does he have to express his dislike for this stupid plan?

"Jongin accepted it like a son should. His father called and said that he said it was okay if it was for the family. Why can't you try to be a little more mature?" 

"Because maybe I'm not this perfect Jongin guy! No amount of mom's pictures are going to make this okay, father." Kyungsoo is exasperated. 

"Why is it you call her mom and me father? I'm the one who's alive." His father is angry now, too. He feels as though he shouldn't have provoked his father. "You barely knew her." 

"She was nicer, I can tell. She wouldn't have forced me into this." Kyungsoo retorts, although he feels bad for bringing his mom up this much. He knows how much it upsets his father.

"It's for the company. I'm trying to explain this to you, listen. You just have to marry him until we can get back on our feet. I'll get you out of it as soon as possible, Kyungsoo. I want you to have all the things that remind you of home when you have to move out." He gestures to the memorabilia spread around the room.  

"I'll take mom's pictures. That's all I want." Kyungsoo glares at his father and walks towards the frames.

He counts that there are a total of seven of his mother. One when she's younger, one on her wedding day, and the rest are portraits alone or with him as a baby. He hates the situation, but he can only secretly smile to himself about getting to see the pictures year round. 

"You'll meet him tomorrow. I set up a formal lunch with his father, and so you two will have lunch separately at the same restaurant. I really do hope you try to be nice-" 

"I'll be what I am. I don't need to like him. It's until the companies have recovered, right? That'll only take a month or two." 

Kyungsoo leaves the room carrying his mother's pictures, angry at his father and the company and everything that's happening in his life. 

--

Jongin doesn't know if it's because he's been raised to always listen to his parents or because he's too much of a pushover, but he only nods when his mother and father break it to him. 

"You aren't upset? I know it's quite a strange situation, but it really will benefit the company." His father asks softly. His mother nods comfortingly, extending a hand out to him. Jongin takes it softly, smiling lightly. 

"I'm fine. I know it's best for the company." He practically whispers. His parents look at him with concern obvious in their eyes, but he waves them off. 

"Really? Jongin, it's okay if you're mad- I'm sure Mister Do's son isn't handling it well, I was told he has quite the temper-" 

"Dad, I'm okay. Really. I'm going to sleep early so I look good tomorrow. That's when you said we're meeting, right?" Jongin asks his parents calmly. His mother nods and he waves goodnight. 

As soon as his bedroom door closes he's on his bed, crying. He doesn't know why he just accepted it like that. He wishes that he'd yelled and screamed, but he didn't want to upset his parents. He knows how much the company is to them, and he'd been prepared to die to keep it up and running, much less getting married- What was he thinking? He sobs harder into his pillow. 

He was terrified. What did he just agree to? His father said that the other son had a bad temper. He really doesn't want him to hate him right off the bat, but he fears that however long this marriage will last, it will be torture. 

He cries until he falls asleep, face buried in a pillow and fully dressed at two in the morning. 

--

When Kyungsoo walks into the restaurant, his eyes scan for the boy he'd been told about. It wasn't that he hated him; he'd just always expected to hate the Kim family. He hopes that it's not the pasty guy sat next to the window playing games on his phone just for the fact that he hates window seats (heights, really). His father nudges him slightly on the arm and nods over to the other side of the restaurant. Kyungsoo looks over and is greeted by the sight of a tan, thin boy sitting alone at a table. He looks nervous and a little terrified, so Kyungsoo decides that this is definitely Jongin. 

He looks better than expected, he reasons. His eyes are dark brown and expressive, he can tell by the pure fear shown in them. And he's handsome, he'll give him that. Even sitting down Kyungsoo can see that he's almost a head taller, and he scowls slightly out of principal of wanting to be taller or even the same height. 

Jongin notices the CEO of Do Corporation walk in because he'd studied pictures of the man the night before when he couldn't sleep. He couldn't find any of his son, though, and guessed that until this public marriage his son hadn't been worth much attention. But now he notices the shorter male walking next to him. He's paler than himself and has big eyes, which he notices are angrily fixated on him. He gulps slightly, his nervousness increasing tenfold. 

"Kim Jongin?" The CEO asks him, and he stands up nervously, extending a hand. The older man smiles at him while shaking his hand and nods towards the shorter boy. "This is my son, Do Kyungsoo." 

"Nice to meet you." Jongin turns his hand toward Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo stares at him blankly for a second and slowly lifts his hand to grip the others. The handshake is short and Jongin tries to make pleasant eye contact with him, although it's hard when he's glaring back. 

"Your father and I will be downstairs discussing business. I'll leave you guys alone now." Kyungsoo's father dismisses himself, and the two are left to look at each other. 

"Why don't we eat something?" Kyungsoo asks sullenly, breaking the silence. Jongin is shocked that he spoke, and he's even more surprised that it's with such a smooth voice. He didn't know what he'd expected. 

"O-okay." He sits back down at his table and watches Kyungsoo take the seat across from him. He's intimidated by the boy just from looking at his glare as he reads through the menu. 

"Are you older than me?" Jongin asks after they order. Kyungsoo looks at him, confused. 

"I don't know how old you are." He points out, and Jongin can see a small smile forming at the corner of his lips. He thinks it's pretty. 

"21. You?" 

"22. So, you better respect me. This deal is only until the companies are stable, you know." Kyungsoo is serious again, and Jongin can feel his anger. Looks like his father was right, he didn't take it well. 

"It'll happen quickly. I've heard your father is an excellent businessman. . ." Jongin tries to compliment in an attempt to make the other less gruff. 

"That's all he's good at. Doesn't care that he's marrying off his only son to someone he doesn't even know." Kyungsoo stabs the lemon in his water violently with his straw. 

"But like you said, it's only until then-" 

"I don't want to listen to you trying to comfort me. I heard you took it well. You probably want this to happen." Kyungsoo accuses suddenly.

Jongin sees red at that comment. It wasn't like he accepted it easily, he just hid it for his parents' sake. He was a mature son. It's not like he wanted to be here meeting this rude guy.

"Listen, just because I did the duties that a son should be wiling to do-" 

"What duties? Selling myself for my father's selfishness? He doesn't want to admit he's going bankrupt! He's using me to make himself stronger. You're an idiot for going along with this." 

Jongin is pretty sure that he's bleeding from how hard he's clenching his fists. He barely knows this man and he's calling him an idiot? When he's being whiny about what needed to be done. He didn't have to like it, but to take it out on Jongin-- no, he couldn't have that. 

"You know, you really-" 

"I don't care what I really am. I'm mad and that's all you need to know." Kyungsoo quips back, rolling his eyes. 

"Stop cutting me off! Let me speak you !" Jongin stands up from his chair, and before he knows what he's done, his water is covering Kyungsoo's face and suit. He just threw his drink at his future husband. He wants to die. 

Kyungsoo makes a loud sputtering noise and looks up to Jongin. He glares so hard that Jongin is ninety-nine percent sure he can see his death coming for him. 

"I'm sorry, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to do it, you just kept cutting me off while I was trying to speak, and you're blaming me for being tolerant of this situation." Jongin sits down quickly, feeling ashamed. 

Kyungsoo wipes the water away from his eyes and flicks it away angrily. He takes a deep breath and reasons that it'll only be for a few months. He just needs to give in and let Jongin think he won this. The months will only be harder with Jongin angry at him all the time.

"I guess I deserved that." Kyungsoo clears his throat, calming himself. "So, you're 21. Are you studying in college?" 

Jongin is shocked to say the least. He can't believe that he kept it together after his outburst. He was terrified that Kyungsoo would yell at him, but instead his future husband kept his cool. 

"Uh. . .business, obviously. But I take dance classes." Jongin observes Kyungsoo's reaction. His eyes widen and he nods slightly, his bangs dripping onto his nose. 

"What type?" 

"Ballet. And modern dance, but mostly ballet." 

"Are you good?" 

Jongin considers this for a moment before he nods slightly. "I think so." 

Kyungsoo takes a drink of his own water and then wipes more off his forehead, mumbling, "Interesting." 

--

"You're married?" Chanyeol sputters as he eyes Kyungsoo warily. 

"Yeah. No big wedding, but offically, yeah. Happened three days ago." Kyungsoo explains simply.

Chanyeol was the only friend he told about the actual situation, and not the press version of it. The press version of course was that two rivaling companies' sons fell in love and the companies put aside their differences to let them be together. Perfect way to boost public view of the companies and hide the real reason for their companies merging. Their rushed secret wedding, actually more of a signing documents at the courthouse, was concocted to show how desperate they were to be together, and made both of their fathers look generous in allowing the two. 

"I thought they'd wait a little while, though!" Chanyeol is in disbelief. 

"They wanted immediate stock boosts for the companies. That's how they got it, I guess." Kyungsoo shrugs slightly. 

"How's your husband anyway? Nice? Handsome?" Chanyeol leans forward to hear his friend's response eagerly, obviously wanting details. 

"He threw water on me when we first met. And yelled that I was an . But other than that, yeah, he's awesome." Kyungsoo turns bitter suddenly. Chanyeol giggles at his friend and points. 

"You probably were one, though. Handsome?" 

"I'll admit he's not the worst looking." Chanyeol rolls his eyes, demanding more. "He's kind of tan, like he looks really bronzed. It's quite nice, actually. Makes me think of summer. And he has dark brown hair and eyes. Taller than me, shorter than you. Happy?" 

"You sound happy. At least with his appearance." Chanyeol laughs like a school girl. Kyungsoo pushes his friend away from him. 

"Well, he's annoying." 

"Aren't you guys moving in together?" Chanyeol questions with a sly smirk. 

 "Yeah, tonight. And we have to go to some dinner gala thing with my his father's business partners. I think it's just for press, but at least I'll get a free meal. I have a feeling Jongin can't cook." 

Chanyeol shakes his head softly, knowing that his friend is in for a long couple of months with his new husband.