Maybe

Kiss Kiss Kiss

~Third person POV~

After seeing the heart Key had sent to him, Jonghyun was full of confidence for this afternoon.

He knew he and Key were meant to have each other. He knew he loved him. he knew he had nothing to worry about, since they had the same feelings.

But what he didn’t think about was the next thing that happened.

Key was lifted again, but by two different, weaker people.

And his foot slipped.

One moment, he was all smiles, up in the air, and the next there was a thump and he was on the ground, in pain.

Jonghyun bolted up, as well as other people who whispered to each other, recognizing him as the one who had fallen earlier.

Jonghyun dashed through the crowds of students, pushing them away not bothering to apologize.

By the time he had reached Key, he was already in Seunghyun’s arms.

They exchanged glances. Jonghyun would have yelled at him, but that could wait for later. The looks they had given each other told them that they just had to get Key to the nurse again.

They ran into the school building, away from the curious students and friends. Once they were within the quiet school walls, Jonghyun started calling Key’s name, worried for him.

Key’s eyes fluttered open the smallest bit, looking at Jonghyun’s face. When he saw who was calling for him, a few tears escaped.

‘I never wanted him to see me like this’ Key thought sadly as he looked up at whoever was carrying him. When he saw Seunghyun’s face, his mouth slowly crinkled into a smile.

He looked from one boy to the other, that small weak smile still plastered on his face as he whispered out “I love you guys.” Then his head fell back to Seunghyun’s chest and he closed his eyes, falling asleep slowly.

*+*+*+*+*

“He sure is an accident prone” Luna sighed as she fluffed Key’s pillow. The injured boy was fast asleep on the nurse bed… again.

Jonghyun and Seunghyun had gotten good news, saying Key only had a bad headache now and it’d go away after a few hours of sleep.

As well as a sprained ankle and some other bruises, Key was in pain. But it would all go away in time.

It was silent as the nurse left to tend to another student. Jonghyun and Seunghyun sat awkwardly together until the older spoke up.

“Um… thanks for carrying Key here.” He mumbled.

Seunghyun looked at him and saw that he obviously hated thanking him. If he didn’t feel a little insulted about how he disliked him so much, he would’ve laughed. But instead, he just patted his back.

“Don’t hate me anymore arasao? I can’t stand it, just think of me like your friend. I’ve told you already I’m moving on from Key and seeking new love. So… stop frowning around me.”

Jonghyun picked up his head and looked at the boy who was showing off a small sincere smile. When he saw it, he grinned as well.

“Okay” he said quietly. He didn’t know what else to say so a comfortable silence settled upon them until it was broken by footsteps shuffling into the room.

Taemin poked his head in shyly. He looked like he had been crying. “Is umma okay?”

Jonghyun nodded. “Tae, have you been crying?”

“He was so worried for Key he’s been bawling thinking he was gonna die” Minho sighed as he stepped in as well. Jonghyun mouthed “Oh” before Amber came in as well as Victoria.

She looked concerned and his eyebrows were furrowed. “Key is…”

“Alright” Seunghyun finished her sentence for her. She nearly collapsed in relief.

“That idiot is such a clutz..” she laughed.

*+*+*+*+*

They’d been sitting in the waiting room waiting for Key for an hour now. Taemin had fallen asleep on Minho’s shoulder.

Amber was using Victoria’s lap as her pillow as she napped too. Victoria’s leg had fallen asleep, but she did too eventually.

Minho had gotten bored too, leaving Jonghyun and Seunghyun the only ones awake. And still worried.

+*+*A few hours later*+*+

Jinki walked into the nurses office, spotting the tired and bored looking Jonghyun and Seunghyun.

He frowned. “Key’s still not awake?”

Jonghyun looked at his hyung and shook his head sadly. He’d been out for a few hours now, and Luna said he hadn’t hit his head that hard.

“I guess he just needs rest” Seunghyun sighed.

Onew nodded and looked back to his dongsaeng. “Jjong… the music competition…”

Both of them perked up. “That’s right!” they said in unfortunate unison.

The music teacher blinked before he remembered that Seunghyun and his band was also in the event.

“You two do know it starts in a half hour…”

Jonghyun and Seunghyun bit their lips before Luna walked into the room and lit up into a smile.

“Go on boys, I’ll stay here and watch Key. If he wakes up or anything, I’ll tell you.” She put her hand on her fiance’s shoulder and pecked his cheek before walking away.

The two boys bit their bottom lip in wondering.

“He should be awake by then.” Jonghyun finally said.

Seunghyun nodded in agreement before the three of them left to the field.

*+*+A few minutes earlier in Key’s room+*+*

Luna poked her head into Key’s room, wondering if he was awake or not. She was delighted to see he was, and staring out the window.

“Key-ah!” she sang. The boy perked up and noticed it was just her.

“Luna-sshi, where is everyone? What happened?” he scratched the back of his head.

The nurse gave him a small smile before sitting beside him on the bed. “You fell during the cheer performance and hit your head pretty hard. Everyone got worried, but the only ones who stayed are Jonghyun-ah and Seunghyun-ah. Taemin and Minho had left because Minho wanted to play sports and Taemin-ah was sleepy.”

Key nodded simply like he had nothing else to say, even though he had multiple paragraphs.

Luna stood up. “I’ll go tell Jonghyun and Seughyun you’re awake now.”

“Wait, no!” the words slipped out Key’s mouth before he had the chance to catch them again.

He looked down. “Could you… just tell them I’m still asleep? I need time.”

She smiled, understanding him as she nodded and whispered an okay before heading out the door.

The teenage boy fell back to the bed sighing heavily, wondering what to do now.

After a few minutes though, he realized it was almost time for Jonghyun’s performance.

He bolted up, winced in pain, but didn’t stop still.

“Luna-sshi!” he called. The nurse rushed back in, giving Key a concerned look.

But the boy just smiled. “I need help with something.”

*+*+*+*+*

“Hello, we are called FT ISLAND!” Jonghun shouted into the mic. The students roared and screamed.

Every member smiled with confidence as they started playing.

Seunghyun smiled the most because he was standing next to his beloved hyung. Maybe he was still worried about Key, and maybe he still didn’t like Jonghyun so much, but he didn’t want to deal with maybe right now. He wanted to deal with now.

Because now he was with Jonghun, he was with his other hyungs, and he was having the time of his life, as well as knowing the one he thought he still loved will soon enough be safely in a guy he can trust’s arms.

It filled him with warmth.

And he liked it.

So he wished it’d stay like that forever.

Maybe it could..?

No, now it will.

*+*+*+*

Jonghyun watched happily from backstage. It looked like a lot of fun, from how FT ISLAND seemed to be. But he was still worried for Key.

Not just because he’d miss his performance, but just for him in general. He’s had multiple heartbreaks now, maybe he’d hate him? Jonghyun was surprised that he didn’t already.

Jinki tapped his dongsaeng’s shoulder. “You’re up soon Jjong.”

Jonghyun nodded silently as the members of FT ISLAND passed him in a rush of happiness and excitement. Seunghyun stopped to simply smile at Jonghyun before he ran back to his hyungs.

Jinki handed him a microphone and patted his shoulder. “Since budgets are kinda low, this is it.”

Jonghyun nodded. “This is enough.” And with that, he walked out from behind the curtain with Jinki behind him.

*+*+*+*

“Key-ah, slow down” Luna whined as she struggled to keep up with the sprinting teen. “I thought you were injured anyways!”

Key ignored her and kept running. Sure he hurt, but what hurt in his chest was more than anything he’s ever felt, about anyone.

He wanted this bad. He wanted the pain to stop.

And the only way to do that was this. Right now.

He arrived at the little outdoor stage they had set up specially for the music competition. He noticed Seunghyun and his band mated walking off stage. He noticed every screaming girl. And then he noticed Jonghyun.

“Luna, there he is!” Key yelled. Luna jogged up to him, panting.

“Thanks for huff waiting huff” she sighed. Key said sorry before taking Luna’s hand and dragging her with him up to the front of the crowd.

*+*+*+*

‘What is there to lose now?’ Jonghyun thought a he sat down on the stool in front of the mic stand.

Behind him, Onew was seated by the piano. The dongsaeng tapped the mic to see if it was on. The low rumble that came from it was proof enough.

“Er… Hello everyone. I’m Jonghyun and that man on the piano is Onew. We’re gonna sing a song we wrote a while back….”

Jonghyun POV

I looked back at Onew who spoke into his mic now. “I’m going to dedicate this to Luna, my gorgeous fiancé. I love you” he blew a kiss to the crowd who awed in response before staring me down from where he sat. I knew he would make me do this. Luckily, I had planned something small.

I cleared my throat. “And I’d like to dedicate this to the person I fell for at first sight. He’s the key to my locked heart and he always will be. Maybe he hates me now but if you’re listening, and you sure as hell know who you are, even though I said this before I’ll say it again. Maybe then it’ll go through your head. I love you.”

They awed again, and laughed at my red face. I barely had time to recover before Onew started the first few notes.

Key POV

“And I’d like to dedicate this to the person I fell for at first sight. He’s the key to my locked heart and he always will be. Maybe he hates me now but if you’re listening, and you sure as hell know who you are, even though I said this before I’ll say it again. Maybe then it’ll go through your head. I love you.”

I stared to the wall, not looking up to the stage where he just said that in front of the school, not believing a single word of it. And yet, believing it all.

“I love you too” I whispered taking in a breath.

But my breath got taken away when Onew started playing the first few notes.

This song.

“Oh, listen Key. What a pretty song.”

I nodded, still not looking up. “It’s beautiful.”

Jonghyun POV

I took in a deep breath.

“Sou… ano… hi boku tachi wa futari de atta ne…” (So we met that day)

Onew’s part “Mada adokenasa ga nokotteta ano yokogao wasurenai” (you still had an innocent look left, i can’t forget the side view of you)

“Hajimete atta hi kara kimochi wo ienai mamade” (since the day i met you i haven’t told you about my feelings)

“Sugoe kita kedo kyou koso wa kono omoi todokeru yo…” (but today i will tell you how i feel in my heart)

Key POV

It came back to me.

That look in his eyes when I had met him in middle school.

I guess he really did love me all along.

Maybe I did too.

-After the song was done-

~Third Person POV~

Jonghyun finished the song with breath-taking long high notes and stood for just a bit before the audience roared in applause and praise, making him break into a smile. But when his dark brown eyes searched for Key, he didn’t see him.

Maybe because he was on stage with him suddenly, holding a mic, with a small shy smile on his face and his eyes dancing.

“Key” he smiled. Jonghyun dropped the mic, forgetting everyone else, and threw his arms around the younger, almost taking the air from him with his strong embrace. Key laughed and hugged him back.

“Paboo” he whined. “You almost made me cry. I could ruin my eyeliner”

“I don’t care” Jonghyun whispered into his shoulder. “You’d still be beautiful”

Key pushed him back and smiled into the mic. “Now wanna see my response to the song?”

Jonghyun jumped a little and smiled, nodding. “Neh. I was waiting years for that”

Key pointed to somewhere in the audience, not far from the stage. Jonghyun turned his head and was amazed by what he found.

Luna, Onew (who had somehow fled from the stage), Minho, Taemin, Amber, Victoria, Seunghyun and the rest of FT ISLAND were holding up a big pink decorated bright sign.

And it read: “Jonghyun you idiot, Saranghae♥”

Jonghyun barely had time to respond though, because Key had suddenly grabbed the other’s face and kissed him full on the lips. The audience went crazy, especially the one holding the big sign.

Jonghyun just naturally wrapped his hands around Key’s slim figure while the small simple kiss lasted.

When they pulled apart, they kept their foreheads pressed together, their faces still close enough to feel each other’s breathing.

“I love you idiot” Key whispered.

“I know” he whispered back. “Y’know, I’m so glad Seunghyun’s an idiot for forgetting his guitar that one day..”

Key chuckled. “Me too. I’m glad for everything”

Maybe it really was meant to be.

Maybe Seunghyun unintentionally got the two together.

And maybe they’ll get in trouble for all the PDA on stage in front of the whole school who turned into squealing fangirls.

But maybe it’s just for them that they were so lucky to find someone so perfect.

And all the kisses, even the almost kisses, were worth it.

 

 

~End Kiss Kiss Kiss~

 

--

Thank you everyone for reading 9: I had gon through about a two month hiatus just to get this one last chapter done. Was it worth it? xD Well, I'll be posting a loong final author's note and maaybee an epilouge in the next few days :3

Thank you for reading everyone~ You guys were the best to continue to support me c: