Chapter 7

The Masquerade

Kyungsoo knocked on the door at a quarter to ten in the morning as was his usual ritual. He had done this a thousand times before – each day that he had served Kim Minseok. Knocking on the door was more of a courtesy than a necessity. Minseok usually didn’t respond, Kyungsoo would walk into his room, gently opening the curtains and letting in the morning light. Then he would confirm Minseok’s breakfast menu before preparing the morning bath. It had been the same at the D’Adderleigh family estate, the same in Normandy, and the same since they had returned to the city.

For the first time in thousands of routine days his knock was answered.

“Don’t come in!” Minseok sounded distressed.

“Are you well, sir?” Kyungsoo listened, concerned. Was his master sick? Or…dare he consider the fact his employer was angry over his state the night before?

It must be about the night before. Kyungsoo should have known better than to try the curious laughing gas when the lecturer offered any in attendance the opportunity. He had thought it was likely harmless. After listening to an hour long speech about its ability to do everything – include cure the ill and stop hysterics – Kyungsoo believed it was likely a parlor trick of some sort.

Being the determined individual that he was Kyungsoo decided to try some of the mysterious laughing gas and prove once and for all that the lecturer was a fraud. And then everything became hazy. He remembered walking up the street, then a flash of lying in bed with Minseok talking to him. He must have passed out. Kyungsoo was acutely embarrassed by his actions.

“I- just, please come back in an hour.” Minseok responded.

Kyungsoo listened. He heard shuffling, mumbled words, what sounded like a mad dash occurring in the room. It couldn’t be…could it? No. Minseok was likely setting his own clothes out, not wanting to see his disappointment of a valet. Kyungsoo felt like crying

“As you wish, sir.” Kyungsoo turned around, hesitant to walk away. For the first time after thousands of similar mornings he left without confirming a breakfast menu. Kyungsoo felt a bit lost. He turned back and knocked again softly.

“Please come back in an hour.” Minseok answered.

“Sir….I am sorry…about last night.” Kyungsoo tried to hold back a sob, hoping Minseok would forgive him “I wasn’t aware of the power of such gas.”

“It is fine, Kyungsoo. I forgive you.” Minseok answered hurriedly.

“Yes sir.” Kyungsoo slinked down the hall, regretting he ever thought a lecture at the Royal Institute was interesting.

***

“You need to leave.” Minseok ran about the room, picking up the scattered articles of clothing that Luhan had left about Minseok’s bedroom.

Luhan didn’t move from where he was lying on Minseok’s bed, watching the man dash around and gather up all of his clothing.

“Did you not hear me? You need to go before someone notices.” Minseok, the bundle of clothing in his arms, stood in the middle of the room staring at Luhan as if he had grown an extra head.

“I heard you.” Luhan smiled. “I was just enjoying the sight.”

Minseok blushed, realizing he was still . Luhan was definitely appreciating the sight, his eyes devouring Minseok from head to toe. It made Minseok feel very self-conscious, foolishly so considering Luhan had already seen more than enough of him the night before.

They had taken much from each other during the night, both acting as if they had a hunger that could not be sated. It was nearing dawn when they fell asleep, exhausted, in each other’s arms.

Minseok dropped the clothes on the bed next to Luhan before grabbing his own shirt and throwing it over his head.

“You are cute when you are embarrassed.” Luhan laughed. It really was something else to see someone who was supposedly so much of a scoundrel blushing all over. Minseok sat on the bed, dragging his hand through his messy hair.

“Not handsome, cute?” Minseok asked, raising an eyebrow in challenge.

“Handsome too.” Luhan suddenly felt a bit embarrassed himself, “I think this is the longest we have ever spoken.”

Minseok laughed, “Uh, I think you are correct.” This was certainly an odd relationship that they formed. “I…don’t even know what to say.”

“So do you…um, can I meet you again?” Luhan asked, feeling how awkward the entire situation was. When they weren’t practically ing each other with their gazes they were surprisingly short on words.

“I think so.” Minseok found himself staring at the floor, not sure what to do with his eyes.

“That makes me happier than you probably know.” Luhan was indeed smiling widely at the thought.

Minseok couldn’t help but smile a little too, rather shyly.

“I live close to here.” Luhan said, his statement beyond awkward.

“Is that so?” Minseok nodded. Most of the single, rich men in the city lived in the neighborhood – an area that was socially upright, full of old money, and known for bachelor apartments. It really wasn’t a surprise to think Luhan lived nearby. “Do you like it? The neighborhood?”

“Yes. I do.” Luhan stared at the ceiling, wondering what to say next. “Do you plan on staying in the city long?”

“I am not sure yet.” Minseok answered in clipped words.

 They sat in a silence for a few seconds before Luhan cleared his throat, feeling like he had to be brave.

“I have a few things I need to say. Well, ask actually.” Luhan sat up in bed, letting the bedsheets fall around his waist. Minseok turned to look at Luhan as he moved. He had to catch himself from staring, feeling as though appreciation was a rather subtle term considering what the sight of a half- Luhan did to him.

“Yes?” Minseok swallowed, turning back to the matter at hand, which was, regretfully not centered on staring at Luhan’s torso.

“Yes, well.” Luhan cleared his throat. How to go about this? He decided to launch right in “As you know I am currently being very publically paraded around the marriage mart.”

Minseok wasn’t sure he liked where this was going. He nodded, waiting to hear the rest of what Luhan had to say.

“I think last night proves we are both more than interested in each other.” Luhan sat up a little straighter, feeling confident “I also think socially we would be a good match. Assuming of course you can tell me what happened to cause all of those rumors about you.”

Minseok didn’t trust himself to answer right away. No, this couldn’t be happening, could it? That the first thing Luhan wanted to discuss seriously was the rumors. The first thing he apparently cared about was what society – the bottom feeding gossip mongering dredge that touted themselves as the highest and mightiest human beings in the land – focused on.

“Luhan, you need to leave.” Minseok answered quietly.

“What?” Luhan was surprised. Why all of a sudden was Minseok so quiet and so…angry?

“Please leave or I will call in my valet to scream at you and chase you from the house.” Minseok stood up, finding his pants he pulled them on. “I assume you can find your way to the door.”

Minseok left Luhan like that, exiting his bedroom he went in search of Kyungsoo. He would have to make sure the valet didn’t catch Luhan leaving, because that was the last thing Minseok felt like explaining.

***

Minseok found Kyungsoo in the kitchen. The man was tidying up, making a small racket with the pots and pans. He didn’t notice Minseok had entered the room until Minseok was practically next to him. Startled, he jumped back.

“Sir!” Kyungsoo’s cheeks were clearly tear stained, his face red.

“Have you been crying?”  Minseok was alarmed. Was that strange gas still affecting his trusty valet?

“I…” Kyungsoo burst into tears, “I will never go to the Royal Institute again! I am such an embarrassment. How will you ever forgive me?”

Minseok pulled Kyungsoo into his arms, hugging him tightly “Shhh. You don’t need to be sorry. It isn’t your fault. Shhh.”

Kyungsoo continued to weep, his sobs acting as the perfect cover to muffle the sound of Luhan descending the staircase, making his way for the front door.

***

Jongdae jogged up the steps, ready to knock on the door. He raised his hand but quickly found it hanging in midair, the door opening before he could knock. Jongdae blinked once then twice, not believing his eyes. Standing in front of him was Luhan, looking very embarrassed.

Luhan held a finger to his lips, motioning for Jongdae to be quiet. He slipped past him, walking quickly. Jongdae stood motionless, trying to figure out what just had happened.

***

Baekhyun’s Aunt was chattering nonstop. Most of her words were centered on what she found absolutely inexcusable when it came to clothing. Most of her words were extremely boring and about as enlightening as staring at a glass of water for five hours.

They were in a phaeton, on their way to pay a morning call on one of his Aunt’s friends. Baekhyun hadn’t wanted to go but the woman – and Baekhyun’s parents – would have none of his protests. He was practically shoved out the door, dragging his feet as he accompanied his Aunt.

“I dare say – isn’t that the Earl?” His Aunts rambling speech on fashion was stopped as she made the observation, her pitch jumping at least two levels.

Baekhyun looked to where she was pointing. The Earl that his Aunt was referring to was Luhan. His Luhan. His Luhan who was currently sidestepping Jongdae and leaving a house. In the morning. Wearing what he had the night before.

“Whose house is that?” Baekhyun dared asked, knowing he would not like the answer but needing to know none the less.

“Hm. I believe that is D’Adderleigh’s house. Or at least it was his Father’s when he was single.” His Aunt turned her head to the side ever so, looking like a curious cat “I wonder what business the Earl would have there at such an early hour?”

Baekhyun felt his chest tighten. Business at D’Adderleigh’s house in the morning? Or was it Luhan finally leaving the house after spending the night? This was not good, not good at all.

***

Kyungsoo brought Jongdae and Minseok tea in Minseok’s study. The valet’s eyes were still a bit puffy from crying but his mood had improved drastically. Minseok had assured him he was not angry about the night before, not one bit. He was just feeling a tad bit unwell when Kyungsoo had tried to wake him up, however he was feeling much better now so there was no need to worry. Kyungsoo seemed to believe Minseok after being told this about a dozen times, shaking off his tears he began going about his chores as if nothing had happened.

Thankfully Kyungsoo hadn’t caught a glimpse of Luhan. But apparently Jongdae had, as evidenced by his first words after Kyungsoo let them alone.

“I hate to pry old boy, but I think I need to in this instance. I saw Luhan leaving your house as I arrived. I can’t say that this doesn’t worry me.”

So Jongdae saw Luhan? Minseok in a deep breath, trying to remain calm. Jongdae was his best friend after all. He could say nothing and Jongdae would likely let the matter drop. Yet he knew Jongdae was worried about him and that was the only reason he was broaching the subject.

“Yes. He was leaving.” Minseok spoke slowly, carefully, “I won’t let myself get hurt again if that is what you are worried about.”

Jongdae set his tea cup down on the small side table. “You don’t look too happy right now.”

“He wanted to know about the rumors.” Minseok sighed “I told him to leave.”

“I see.” Jongdae looked thoughtful. “You are interested in him though?”

“Yes..no..I don’t know.” Minseok tried to sort out his feelings towards Luhan, but his brain was a jumbled mess. Of course he was interested in Luhan, he would never have slept with him otherwise. There was a tension that existed between the two of them that was hard to describe, an energy that made it hard to focus on anything else when he was near Luhan. But was that energy only a physical attraction or was it more? He knew very little about Luhan, he knew very little of his personality or even what he liked to do when he wasn’t being touted about town as the catch of the season.

“Just please be careful. There are very few people in this city who aren’t watching that man’s every move.” Jongdae would do anything in his power to protect his friend, but in this case as in the case three years ago he probably could do nothing if events turned sour.

“I know.” Minseok realized he was very good at getting himself into difficult situations. He didn’t want to talk about it anymore so he changed the subject, “What brings you here at this hour, anyway?”

“Aw, yes. I almost forgot.” Jongdae pulled a package from his jacket pocket, laying it on the table. Minseok eyed the small package before picking it up and unwrapping it. “One of the men that I had investigating the thefts in the less savory parts of town stumbled upon what appears to be a very important clue.”

Minseok moved the brown paper aside, the small object contained within sitting in the palm of his hand. It was a necklace with a broach attached, shaped like a musical note. Minseok flipped it over, examining the object. The musical note consisted of carefully set diamonds, varying in size. “I think you are going to have to explain why this is an important clue.”

“This, my friend, is a necklace that appears to be made from jewels stolen by our thief.” Jongdae explained, “However, these jewels are no more than clever reproductions.”

Minseok looked closely. He wasn’t an expert when it came to jewelry, to him the diamonds looked real. “Where did the man find this?”

“That, my good man, is the very interesting and also the particularly grisly part.” Jongdae leaned forward, taking another look at the jewelry “It was found next to a well-known gambler’s body.”

“Body?” Minseok wanted to make sure he heard Jongdae right.

“Yes. He was murdered last night.” Jongdae continued looking at the necklace “I fear our thief has become a murderer as well.”

Minseok breathed in deeply, digesting the news. They had to catch whoever was behind this and do so quickly. The investigation was potentially no longer only about missing jewelry, it could mean life or death for those involved.

***

“I really think you need a new brain.” Heechul pushed at Luhan’s head, “To deliver you such an amazing opportunity and have you completely mess it up…I don’t know what to do with you anymore.”

“I didn’t mess it up…completely!” Luhan was wallowing in the fallout of his own actions.

“I am not going to help you with your sad excuse for a love life anymore.” Heechul said firmly. They were sitting in Luhan’s parlor, Heechul paying a visit a couple of hours after Luhan arrived home.

“I don’t understand why he wouldn’t tell me though? He could have just said it was all a misunderstanding and cleared it up right there. Why didn’t he?” Luhan whined.

“Perhaps he doesn’t want to talk about the reason his life fell apart? Would you?” Heechul scolded him.

“But I thought you said I should discover the truth?” Luhan protested.

“I said you should discover the truth, not ask the man outright after sleeping with him!” Heechul shook his head “I am starting to think you and Baekhyun are a good match after all.”

Luhan suddenly stood up, his expression turning bright “Heechul – where does Sehun live? I could just go ask him outright. Solve this all in an afternoon!” Yes, what a brilliant plan Luhan thought. How ingenious. He didn’t need to waste any more time trying to befriend the boy or get himself in trouble by asking Minseok. He could pay Sehun a visit and simply ask him if Minseok was a horrible person. Yes, that was it.

“No, no, no, no.” Heechul stood as well “You are on your own. I am not going to help you go ambush Sehun about his failed engagement. No.”

Luhan slumped back down in his chair as Heechul left. Was D’Adderleigh driving him to madness? Yes, it seemed to be the case. He groaned, burying his head in his hands. His mind racing with thoughts of Minseok. Thoughts of Minseok, of kissing Minseok, of Minseok telling him to leave.  Is this what it felt like to be insane?

--------------------

a/n- Well that was awkward. Don’t worry, Luhan won’t act like an idiot forever. Please look forward to the next update, I hope to have it up tonight ^^