Chapter 16

The Masquerade

Heechul hated when people mussed up his clothes. He would have to remind Luhan of this fact when he saw him next, because it was all Luhan’s fault. Most definitely Luhan’s fault.

“You created a diversion so they could escape!” Yunho practically growled the words into Heechul’s face, holding the man by the collar as he pushed him against the dining room wall. It was clear that there was no such thing as a second theft, the reason the Duke, Jongdae, and Junmyeon had been lured from the study. When they had arrived in the dining room, Heechul had only muttered some offhanded comment about a mistake of some sort.

“What? Me? No.” Heechul smiled slightly, annoyed his clothing was currently being torn asunder by an angry Yunho yet still finding a sliver of mirth in his trickery. He had acted as such for Luhan and Minseok, and in fact he did not really regret his actions.

“Let him go, Uncle.” Jongdae urged Yunho to unhand Heechul. There was no sense wasting precious minutes yelling at Heechul when Minseok and Luhan had taken flight. Yunho had already ordered two dozen men to give chase, scouring the city for the fugitives, yet his order did little in terms of uncovering more evidence.

Yunho let Heechul’s shirt collar go, ignoring the fact that such a sudden action had Heechul staggering to stay on his feet.

“We need to find them, and fast.” Yunho turned to Jongdae “Do you know where he could have run too?”

“I – no.” Jongdae still had a hard time believing they were currently pursuing Minseok. His best friend. A man he never, ever thought would be the target of an investigation. What had happened to turn the world upside down?

Yunho shook his head “I should have never let him work on this investigation. I should have known better than to let someone with such a past aid in something so sensitive.”

Jongdae bristled at his Uncle’s words. “I think he was framed. We can’t be sure it was him, not until we have more evidence. Are the jewels found in his house even the real jewels?”

“Jongdae, they found the stolen jewels – the real jewels - in D’Adderleigh’s home. He ran away. What other evidence do you need?” Yunho looked disappointed.

Jongdae still didn’t want to admit it. No, not Minseok. Anyone but Minseok.

“Bring me Lord Sehun, I have a few questions for him.” Yunho ordered his nephew.

Jongdae nodded. So Yunho still thought Sehun had something to do with the thefts as well? Before Jongdae could fetch Lord Sehun he was nearly knocked aside by a very distraught, very emotionally wrought Duchess, stomping towards Yunho.

“Are you saying my son ran away?! With a criminal?!” The Duchess of Hayden hissed under her breath, still not wanting to draw too much attention to the matter.

“Dear, please, let us discuss this.” The Duke tried to calm his wife down, but was circumvented by a few choice whacks from her hand fan.

“I demand to know where my son is!” She stamped her foot down. Jongdae now knew where Luhan got that particularly childish habit from.

“My grace, it would appear that your son’s fiancée is no better than a common criminal. Now, if you don’t want that fact completely known to everyone in attendance of the gala I suggest you put on a smile and go back to your party.” Yunho stared her down.

The Duchess gulped. Why had her son become entangled with such a man?

***

The rain fell in heavy sheets, the sound deafening as it hit the carriage roof.

“Where are we going?” Minseok asked, still trying to wrap his head around the situation.

“Somewhere where they will not find us.” Luhan answered vaguely. He grasped Minseok’s hand, squeezing tightly “Are you – are you well?”

“Yes.” Minseok squeezed his eyes shut for a moment, wishing he could change the last few hours, the last few days. He opened his eyes wide then, needing to know. “Do you know why they think I did it? Other than the necklace?”

“They found the jewels in your home. I heard Yunho and Jongdae talking.” Luhan explained.

Minseok swallowed, willing away the tears. So Jongdae…his best friend, suspected him too? Why was the world so cruel at times?

***

Sehun narrowed his eyes at Yunho. He knew the man – of course – how could he not. He was born of the higher social circles. However he was not entirely sure why he needed to meet with him, other than Jongdae reporting that his Uncle had something “important” to discuss with him.

Sehun sat in the small study, feeling the boredom overtake him as he waited for Yunho.

“Lord Sehun.” Yunho greeted him curtly as he entered the study. Sehun noticed that the man’s face was flushed, as though he was angry about something.

“May I ask why you needed to see me?” Sehun tilted his head ever so, looking a tad bit like a kitten, bored and fighting off a slight tinge of instinctual curiosity.

Yunho sat down, opposite of Sehun. Clasping his hands together he began “I suspect your ex-fiancée of certain crimes, and I believe you have knowledge of them.”

“My ex-fiancée?” Sehun had to be sure he was hearing Yunho’s words correctly. As in Minseok?

“Yes. The Viscount D’Adderleigh.” Yunho crossed his legs, leaning back he continued “It has come to my attention that you are currently burdened with a large amount of debt.” Yunho watched as the younger man colored at his words.

“I- yes.” Sehun suddenly found some sort of logic in Minseok’s previous questioning of his gambling. “I didn’t know gambling was a crime.”

“It isn’t a crime, however jewelry theft to pay off those debts is very much against the law.” Yunho answered calmly.

“Jewelry thefts?” Sehun laughed “You must be joking.”

“I am afraid not. Your ex-fiancée seems to have perpetrated a rather long string of thefts. Could it be that he did so to pay for your debts?” Yunho cocked an eyebrow.

“That is preposterous!” Sehun stood suddenly, “If this is the matter you wanted to discuss with me than I think we are done here.”

“The Home Office would tend to disagree.” Yunho stared up at the younger man “I have probable cause to arrest you on the spot as an accomplice.”

“What?!” Sehun was not sure what actions of his were deemed probable cause. “I have done nothing wrong!”

“Hm. I would tend to disagree, old boy.” Yunho explained “You have a motive for thievery, you have a longstanding association with my prime suspect, and almost all of the evidence would indicate you as a suspect.”

Sehun balled his fists. “You are going to arrest me?”

“Unless you agree to help. Yes.” Yunho said nonchalantly.

It was a moment of silence. Sehun digesting the news, considering. If his father found out about the debts, if Minseok was guilty, if he would go to jail. Yunho standing firm. Waiting for Sehun to break.

“What do you want me to do?” Sehun asked, his voice low, small. He felt a sense of helplessness.

“I want you to be the bait.” Yunho answered, Sehun feeling a sense of dread at the other man’s words.

***

The carriage lurched to a stop. It was still raining heavily, the sound of raindrops hitting stone drowning out the noise around them.

“Come on, we need to get out.” Luhan opened the carriage door.

“Where are we?” Minseok asked. He squinted. The place was dark, the rain still falling heavily. He could smell something…fish or water.

“Not now. Come on.” Luhan helped Minseok from the carriage. There was no time to explain, they had to move quickly lest they be discovered. They had made it this far without anyone finding them, at least no one that they had noticed. Luhan needed to confirm the fact. “Jongin, was anyone behind us?”

“No, My Lord.” Jongin hopped down from the driver’s bench, tying the horses to a small post he helped Kyungsoo down as well. D’Adderleigh’s valet had remained quiet during the journey, not even bothering to ask of their final destination. In a way Jongin was glad for it – he had too many other things to think of at the moment to be bothered with offering up explanations.

“Kyungsoo!” Minseok hugged his valet as soon as they were face to face, pulling the smaller man into a tight embrace.

“Sir! I was so worried for you!” Kyungsoo held back tears, happy that they were at least together.

“How did you come to be at the Hayden house?” Minseok questioned, holding Kyungsoo at arm’s length. He could not recall a time he was happier to see his valet.

“Not now. We need to go.” Jongin gestured for the men to follow him. Minseok grabbed Kyungsoo’s hand, Luhan grabbing Minseok’s other hand as they followed Jongin.

Minseok was not incorrect when he thought he smelled water or fish. Judging by what he could make out in front of them they were near the river. The stone walkway they alighted on was slippery, Minseok almost falling once as Kyungsoo and Luhan kept him upright.

A few roughly hewn stone steps led towards the small dock. In the darkness Minseok could barely see a few feet in front of him. They were very near in the water by the time he could see the form of a small boat.

“I will hold it steady, please, get in quickly.” Jongin grabbed the boat, Luhan helping Minseok in first followed by Kyungsoo. Luhan was about to step in himself when he heard the commotion from some yards above them.

“It is the Hayden carriage! They must be near!”

Luhan scurried into the boat, Jongin behind him, pushing off. They braced themselves, held their breaths, as Jongin began to row upriver. They could hear footsteps against the pavement, more shouts. They couldn’t be discovered, not now.

Luhan found himself praying, hoping, more than he had ever done so in his short life.

***

“It would seem that the engagement is not going to be announced after all.” Baekhyun looked around the room, noting that Luhan and Minseok were no longer in attendance. He smiled, feeling particularly jubilant at the turn of events.

“I wonder why.” Chanyeol looked bored, downing the rest of his wine, hiding a smile.

“Hm.” Baekhyun laughed. “Ah, here comes Heechul.”

Heechul walked towards the pair, smoothing his suit jacket as he sauntered across the room.

“Heechul, have you seen Easton?” Baekhyun asked.

Heechul narrowed his eyes at the man, studying him. He was all innocence. “No, I haven’t seen him for some time.”

“That is too bad, I wanted to ask him to dance.” Baekhyun sighed heavily, “Heechul, will the engagement not be announced tonight?”

Heechul cocked his head to the side, “Why ever would you think I would have the answer to a question like that?”

“Of course, I am only trying to make conversation.” Baekhyun turned to Chanyeol “We should leave soon. I heard of a riotous party at Lord Truedalls.”

“Riotous?!” Heechul blurted out “Count me in, old boy. This party is proving to be a rather larger disappointment.”

***

Minseok listened as the voices grew fainter, as the boat – Jongin rowing in long, steady strides – moved away from where they had left the carriage. They were on the river, heading east, Minseok guessed by what he could make out from the movement of the boat. They were heading towards the less savory side of town. A place he had never been in his life.

The sound of the oars hitting the water was like the ticking of a clock. Each dip into the dirty river was a step away from those who were hunting them. Each lurch forward was a few seconds towards freedom.

Escape. That is what he was doing. No, they were doing. But what were they escaping from? Someone had most definitely framed him. Minseok tried to reason it out, tried to piece it together. Who had the motive, the opportunity, the lackluster moral code to do such a thing?

True, he was an easy enough target. Wasn’t he already notorious? Wasn’t he already a suspicious man among high society? But why, why him?

And Luhan…his actions had certainly doomed his own reputation. To run away from his parent’s house with a wanted man – he had sealed his own fate. Suddenly Minseok felt a bit angry, a bit resentful that Luhan would take that burden upon himself. Minseok didn’t want that. Didn’t want to see Luhan being arrested alongside him. No, he would tell him to turn back as soon as they arrived…wherever they were going.

***

Luhan wasn’t sure how long they had been in the boat when Jongin veered it towards a small, rickety dock that jutted off into the river. Jongin maneuvered the craft ever so, tying it to the small wooden beam that jutted from the dock.

“Please be quiet until we are inside.” Jongin whispered, moving to pull the oars into the boat.

Minseok stepped out first, ignoring the hand that Luhan offered. Kyungsoo was next, looking a tad bit bewildered. Luhan alighted, quickly pinching a hand over his nose. The smell of rotting fish and garbage was strong. They were most definitely in the east end.

“This way.” Jongin led them from the small dock, up a few steps, towards the back of one of the dilapidated structures that fronted the riverside. The rain had stopped, thankfully, and there were a few burning torches to illuminate the rundown landscape.

Jongin approached the back of the structure, standing in front of the beat up wooden door he knocked five times. Luhan noticed that he did so in a certain pattern, not an even set of knocks but a few fast then slow and long thuds to the door.

“Who is it?” A rough voice boomed from the other side.

“It will be fair weather, the sky is red.” Jongin answered. Luhan wondered if it was some sort of password.

The door swung open immediately, revealing a very scrawny, yet slightly intimidating young man. “Of all the people I thought would be at my door, Jongin you bastard!”

Luhan, Minseok, and Kyungsoo watched in amazement as the man pulled Jongin into a hug, patting his back enthusiastically.

“We need a place to hole up.” Jongin explained as the man kept him close.

“Hole up? Aye, well, I reckon you have come to the right place.” The man grinned.

“Who is it?!” A shout came from somewhere inside.

“Tis Jongin. Come home, he right did! With some fancy friends by the looks of it.” The man looked over Jongin’s shoulder, eying up Luhan, Minseok, and Kyungsoo.

“Jongin?!” The voice cooed. Suddenly another man, a tall, rather friendly looking sort, appeared from the darkness of the interior.

Minseok looked on as Jongin was pulled into yet another hug. Luhan’s valet certainly had an interesting home.

“Come inside, come inside. Before whoever be chasing you finds you.” The man gestured for them to enter. Minseok stepped in first, Kyungsoo right behind him, almost like he was using Minseok as some sort of shield from the very strange environment they were walking into.

“Welcome to paradise.” The tall, friendly man held his arms wide. Minseok could make out the hovel – as that was what the structure should be classified as – a roughly constructed, old building with rundown furniture and very rough looking denizens.

Jongin turned towards the other three men. “Um, these are my brothers. Please say hello to Minho and Taemin.”

“At your service, my lords.” The two men bowed, Luhan noting an ounce of sarcasm in the gesture.

“We should be safe here.” Jongin further explained.

Kyungsoo wanted very much to ask how a man, employed in one of the finest homes in the country, came from such…a place - but he thought better of it. Especially since these people were willing to offer them refuge in their time of need.

“Thank you, Jongin, for your help.” Minseok bowed to the men, Luhan following his lead rather awkwardly.

“So what did you do? Stab someone?” Minho cocked his head to the side, eying Minseok and Luhan up and down “No. They don’t look like the stabbing sort.”

“I…am wanted for some thefts.” Minseok explained quickly.

“Ohhh. Stealing.” The man Jongin identified as Taemin smiled broadly, “I have done a bit of that in my time.”

Luhan paled. Were they safe here? As if he could read Luhan’s mind Minho blurted out “We don’t do anything like that anymore. Not since we bought our boat.”

“Speaking of that.” Jongin rubbed his neck sheepishly “I may have brought it here.”

“You undocked it from up river!” Taemin looked put out, changing his expression when Minho nudged him. “I…if that is um..what you needed to do, then…well.”

“I am afraid you may need to avoid those docks for a while.” Jongin continued “I had to dump a carriage there.”

Taemin’s eyes grew wide, but he held his tongue.

“Pray, tell, what do you use the boat for?” Kyungsoo asked, trying not to look either man in the eye.

“Oh, yes. We collect bodies from the river. Right good money in that there is!” Minho answered proudly.

Kyungsoo thought that no matter how much he could have tried, there was no possible way he could have ever imagined the situation he was currently in. Never. Ever. Not in a million years.

----------------------------------

a/n- So…Taemin and Minho as Jongin’s super shady brothers? Yes please! And yes, Minho and Taemin’s occupation is a nod to Gaffer in Dickens’ Our Mutual Friend. Because that image still haunts me to this day. And Sehun as “bait”…yelp! Of course I am being purposefully vague. Seriously, it will all make sense in the end! Thank you for reading through all of the mystery and cliffhangers!

Thank you also for the up-votes, subs, comments- and to the silent readers! I truly appreciate it!