Chapter 14

The Masquerade

Minseok was feeling nervous. Kyungsoo had tried to assure him that “You shan’t have any reason to be nervous, sir, you look amazing.” Unfortunately his valet’s words did not help as much as Kyungsoo intended.

It was the day of the gala at the Hayden Mansion – the gala – where his engagement to Luhan would be formally announced. It also, rather unfortunately, was the night where the jewelry thief was likely to strike, so he needed to stay on alert despite the large social obligation before him.

“I will expect you home late, sir.” Kyungsoo remarked as he gathered up one of the cravats he had dismissed as “not fitting” for his employer’s outfit.

“Hm.” Minseok muttered noncommittally, his mind swimming with a thousand different things.

He was nervous that they knew nothing more about the thief going into the gala than they did just the day prior. Yunho’s men had yet to find anything incriminating with the Pressley families financial status (not to mention Sehun’s denial), Sehun’s Father had not been seen near the apartment of the kept woman since Minseok spotted him there, and Minseok had yet to find a time to return to Herringwoods and confront the dealer. Hopefully there would be a big break in the case that night, preferably ending with the thief caught red handed.

Minseok was also on edge about the magnitude of the announcement of his engagement – in social terms. Of course it had already been announced, rather informally, at Mademoiselle Beauchamp’s soiree. However this would be the first time he stood with a family – his future family- and represented a united voice in the face of the highest members of society. Based on Minseok’s past dealings with such high and mighty, socially esteemed individuals, the thought of such a formal announcement left a bad taste in his mouth.

“Kyungsoo?” Minseok turned his thoughts back to the present.

“Yes, sir?” Kyungsoo could tell Minseok was battling with his nerves, he had known him far too long to miss the signs of his anxiety.

“Thank you.” Minseok smiled slightly, it was all he could muster as he wrung his hands together, a nervous habit.

“You don’t need to thank me, sir.” Kyungsoo bowed slightly “I am only doing my job.”

Minseok nodded. He was forever grateful that he had Kyungsoo. Loyal, hardworking Kyungsoo.

***

“I don’t want to keep this from him, Uncle.” Jongdae crossed his arms, throwing his head back ever so he sighed heavily “Yet I understand your logic.”

Jongdae was seated in his Uncle Yunho’s carriage, gladly accepting the offered ride to the Hayden Gala. It would be a matter of minutes before they were at the mansion, prior to the start of the event, as was prearranged earlier. They wanted to be early so they had visibility to all the guests who entered, ready to catch their thief.

“Sorry old boy, but we can’t risk the perpetrator escaping due to personal feelings.” Yunho had explained to his nephew why D’Adderleigh should not be informed of their latest findings. Yunho’s man had found that Sehun had run up a rather large gambling debt – far larger than a simple loss on horse racing. Large enough to be suspicious when considered alongside his recent actions.

“I still can’t imagine Lord Sehun stealing.” Jongdae remarked. Sehun was foolish, could even be annoying sometimes – but Jongdae had known him for years. He had never considered Sehun may be guilty of the thefts. He did, however, understand the fear that Minseok may never be able to believe that Sehun was guilty – if indeed he was – which may lead to the investigation towards failure.

“Never underestimate man’s propensity for greed.” Yunho stared out the window, thinking back to the report delivered to him earlier in the day – detailing Sehun’s debt.

“The Pressley estate, however, is still profitable- correct?” Jongdae wanted to confirm that it was Sehun, not his Father, who was facing financial difficulties.

“Yes, it would appear that way. Sehun is most definitely keeping his debt a secret from his Father.”

“Then his Father’s visit to the apartment does not align.” Jongdae wondered how all of the clues fit together.

“Perhaps. The man watching the apartment hasn’t seen a visitor since yesterday.”

“And we have no more information on the person residing there?” Jongdae was curious what woman called the place home.

“No. Though as soon as she leaves we will have a lot more information.” Yunho smiled.

“You are going to break into her apartment?!” Jongdae shouldn’t be surprised. It was in the name of the law, after all.

“You are correct. Well, not I, but one of my people.” Yunho leaned forward, reaching out a hand he ruffled his nephew’s hair, “Now let’s solve this thing tonight so we don’t have to order any break-ins.”

Jongdae feigned annoyance at his Uncle messing up his hair, but nodded in agreement. “Yes, let’s solve this tonight.”

***

Luhan was practically hopping up and down. He had been for the last thirty minutes.

“Son, please sit.” The Duchess was starting to feel her own nerves intensify as she watched her son pace about the room, stop in front of the window, check his suitcoat for the fifteenth time, and then say something about “D’Adderleigh should be here by now”.

“I wonder where Minseok is.” Luhan didn’t sit, he just stopped moving, standing in front of the window and staring.

The Duchess smiled through her annoyance, still finding her son’s infatuation endearing.

***

Minseok felt dizzy as the carriage stopped in front of the Hayden mansion. He barely had time to register the door was open before Luhan was half inside the vehicle, grabbing his hand.

“You are here!” Luhan smiled.

“Of course I am here. Did you think I wouldn’t come?” Minseok wanted to laugh at how, well, nervous Luhan looked. He looked as nervous as Minseok felt.

“No, I knew you would come. How could you resist me?” Luhan winked, causing Minseok to roll his eyes. He helped the other man out of the carriage, squeezing his hand as they stood on the gravel drive.

“You look very handsome.” Luhan beamed, eyeing Minseok from head to toe.

“Thank you, so do you.” Minseok thought that the entire exchange was rather sickly sweet, however it made him feel….happy.

“My parents are waiting for us.” Luhan cocked his arm, gesturing for Minseok to take it.

“I draw the line at hand holding.” Minseok responded playfully, walking forward. Luhan’s jaw dropped in protest before he jogged forward to catch up with his fiancée.

***

Jongdae and Yunho arrived a minute after Junmyeon. They alighted their carriages, greeting each other before entering the mansion.

“I have several men watching the house.” Yunho gestured towards the gate, “Lest our thief attempts an escape.”

“Do you have a man stationed outside the cellar exit as well?” Junmyeon questioned, recalling the tour Luhan had given them – pointing out the secret passageway.

“Yes. Thank you for informing me of its existence. I would anticipate that may be where our thief tries to flee, assuming he knows the layout of the house.” Yunho patted Junmyeon on the shoulder, causing the younger man to blush at the fact his intelligence had been noted.

“Now let’s greet the happy couple. And remember- not a word about Sehun.” Yunho walked towards the front door, a liveried footman opening the large and ornate entryway for the visitors to pass.

***

Minseok stood next to Luhan, receiving the guests as they arrived. It was expected – those guests who he knew disdained him were coldly polite, offering quick congratulations lacking in warmth. He had anticipated as much. The guests could not very well snub him outright, not at his fiancée’s family gala, not with the Duke and Duchess so obviously supporting the union. He bowed to them politely, giving mumbled thanks, feeling Luhan’s hand on the small of his back now and then for support.

Minseok had spoken to Jongdae and Yunho briefly, as they had arrived prior to the other guests. They were carefully situated in the large ballroom, taking up spots to allow them the most visibility. Junmyeon was there too, trying to balance his own parent’s arrival with his task of looking for the thief.

“Mr. Byun Baekhyun and Mr. Park Chanyeol.” The Butler announced. Minseok tried not to cringe. He had known Baekhyun would be at the gala – the invitations had been sent long ago. Yet he dreaded another awkward meeting with the man.

Minseok watched as Baekhyun and Chanyeol greeted the Duke and Duchess warmly, politely, and without a hint of malice. “What beautiful jewels, Your grace.” Baekhyun remarked on the magnificent Hayden jewels, the large sparkling diamond necklace around Luhan’s Mother’s neck.

“Thank you, kind sir.” The Duchess smiled politely.

When Baekhyun and Chanyeol reached Luhan and Minseok, a rather curt greeting occurred.

“Good evening, my Lords.” Baekhyun’s spite was evident in his eyes, which flashed from Luhan to Minseok and back to Luhan. Minseok and Luhan bowed in turn, both feeling apprehensive as Chanyeol and Baekhyun passed.

“Please ignore him.” Luhan whispered to Minseok, offering a small smile in reassurance. Minseok nodded, knowing that trying to ignore Baekhyun and actually ignoring him were two very different things.

It was a few minutes later when Sehun arrived, alongside his parents. Minseok watched as the Earl and Countess, their son following behind them, greeted the Duke and Duchess. He hadn’t seen Sehun’s parents in years. He noted how much older they looked, how much they had changed. He tensed as they finished greeting Luhan’s parents, approaching where Minseok stood.

“D’Adderleigh.” The Earl noted rather distastefully, the Countess offering up a very curt greeting as well. They passed by quickly, Sehun lingering only a second longer.

“Tao says thank you and hello too.” Sehun whispered, Luhan hearing every word. His hand instinctually went to Minseok’s waist.

Minseok nodded and smiled, watching as Sehun walked into the ballroom. It felt like a chapter in his life had closed, so simply, so unemotionally, given how much it had meant to him at one time.

***

Kyungsoo turned the page of the book, shutting his eyes tightly before daring to open them and read the next passage. He wasn’t sure he could stand it.

“Be strong Kyungsoo, be strong.” He dared to peek at the first paragraph on the page before snapping the book shut, a blush appearing on his cheeks.

Do Kyungsoo, you see, had a rather embarrassing habit. A habit that would cause him to faint in embarrassment if it was ever found out. He was a very studious individual who liked to read up on the latest findings of science and the most remarkable inventions of man- most of the time. Though, when he was alone, his work done for the day, he often read…other books. Books that were, well, often found in women’s salons tucked under more acceptable periodicals. Dare he admit they were…romance novels?!

“I cannot believe he would dare to steal her away to Gretna Green- from her bedroom no less!” Kyungsoo groaned, shaking his head. He opened the book back up, willing himself to read more. He was engrossed in the events of the story when he heard a faint sound from upstairs. He ignored it, too wrapped up in the dashing rogue stealing away the young heiress to a life of-

Another noise, was that footsteps?

Kyungsoo closed the book, listening intently. He heard nothing more. Willing his beating heart to settle – what man or woman wouldn’t be swept away by the image of a dashing man ready to steal you away in spite of the world- he continued to read. He didn’t hear another sound, thankfully.

***

“If it isn’t the most foolish man I used to call my friend.” Heechul greeted Luhan with a pat on the back. Directing his attention to Minseok he winked “You deserve an award, quite frankly, for staying with him this long old boy.”

“Hey!” Luhan protested, but Minseok shot him a look, shutting him up.

“It is nice to see a friendly face.” Minseok remarked, knowing that Heechul, for all of his odd behavior, flamboyant ways, and snarky comments, had a good heart.

“Hm. Yes, I suppose we can be friends.” Heechul smirked “Seeing as how my friendship with this simpleton here didn’t end well I am in need of a new friend.”

Luhan stamped his foot down in protest. Minseok and Heechul laughed at his childish behavior, drawing looks from some of the other guests.

Minseok and Luhan had moved into the ballroom, alongside the Duke and Duchess. The majority of guests had already arrived, dancing and refreshments were underway as the din of gossip interspersed with music filled the room.

“Now, may I ask where that handsome friend of yours is?” Heechul leaned in close to Minseok.

“Friend?” Minseok was momentarily confused, “Are you referring to Jongdae?”

“That is the one!” Heechul elbowed Minseok playfully, earning another dirty look from Luhan “I am in desperate need to better make his acquaintance.”

Minseok wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing, though judging by Jongdae’s near hatred of Luhan he guessed playing nice with Luhan’s friend was not exactly at the top of Jongdae’s list of things to do. “I am not sure where he may be.”

“I sense a challenge.” Heechul winked yet again, looking about the room. He seemed to tense for a brief moment as he spotted Baekhyun and Chanyeol at the far end of the room. “I see that my puppy is here. Perhaps I should go play.”

Minseok and Luhan watched as Heechul made his way towards Baekhyun, neither knowing what to say. Finally Minseok tore his eyes away from where Baekhyun stood, chatting up a large group of people.

Turning towards Luhan, Minseok jerked forward as he felt something collide with his back. Luhan caught him, steadying the other man by placing his hands on Minseok’s arms. Minseok turned, a man standing with a half empty glass of wine, a smile on his face staring at him.

“My lord. I apologize. I didn’t see you there.” The man said rather venomously.

Minseok felt the cool liquid seep through his jacket. He recognized the person who had collided with him as the son of minor nobility, a few years younger than Minseok. He also recognized his apology as wholly insincere. The cause of his insincerity – or rather the cause of the “accident” – became rather clear as loud giggles were heard from across the room.

Minseok glared at Baekhyun, who was busy observing the scene, pointing it out to his hanger-ons. Thankfully Heechul was scowling, walking away as Baekhyun gloated.

“Watch where you are going.” Luhan spat, recognizing the incident for what it was. No doubt Baekhyun had put the young man up to it to embarrass Minseok.

The man bowed, leaving without another word.

“How bad is it?” Minseok turned to let Luhan see the back of his suitcoat.

Luhan brushed at the stain, “It is rather large.”

Minseok frowned “Kyungsoo is going to kill me.”

“Don’t worry. I don’t think you can see it well, especially when it dries.” Luhan shot Baekhyun an annoyed look. Minseok nodded, thankful his coat was black.

“Sorry.” Luhan whispered “He can be very immature.”

Minseok didn’t respond. He knew exactly who Luhan was referring to.

***

Jongdae sipped his drink, observing as Minseok and Luhan walked to the dancefloor. The musicians had started to play a Pas Jetté Assemblé, a rather unusual dance for a gala held during the season, but a lively bit that would have partners switched as the dance progressed.

He noted that Junmyeon had shaken off his parents and was now standing at the far end of the ballroom, watching as the dancers took their places. Yunho was there too – watching. Jongdae understood Minseok’s role in the event limited his ability to observe, he understood it. He also understood why he couldn’t tell Minseok everything – though he was feeling a bit regretful.

The notes sounded and the dancers moved, a lively dance, flutters of silk and the four step movements drawing attention from even the most easily distracted of matrons. Jongdae noticed the duchess was dancing too, smiling- almost girlishly – as she was whirled from one partner to the next.

“Enjoying the view?”

Jongdae turned, slightly startled at the unexpected words. Heechul was standing next to him – he must have sidled up when Jongdae was distracted by the dancers.

“Good evening.” Jongdae answered casually, trying not to take his eyes from the Duchess – the bait for the thief hanging delicately around her neck.

“Yes, a rather good evening. Should we make it a better one?” Heechul asked flirtatiously.

“I haven’t punched Easton yet.” Jongdae reminded him.

“Touché.” Heechul sighed “I suppose I really need to see Luhan’s pretty face a tad bit messed up if I am to get what I want.”

Jongdae gulped, not daring to ask exactly what Heechul was referring to.

***

“My necklace!” the Duchess practically screamed, clutching at her neck. The sound of her distress quickly spread, the dancers stopping, the musicians halting their tune.

Minseok felt the anxiety rush through him. One moment he was dancing, Luhan smiling at him as they chanced meeting during the change of partners, laughing in a carefree manner, not caring what anyone else though, when everything stopped. He had been hesitant to dance, but gave into Luhan’s pouting. He had been overjoyed when his future mother in law had joined in, obscuring his apprehension at Sehun, Chanyeol, and Baekhyun also joining in on the dance.

Now Minseok’s sense of freedom and happiness was replaced with dread. How could someone have stolen the necklace right in front of him without him observing the crime? It had to be one of the dancers. But who would be so blatantly obvious?

“What happened?” Luhan rushed to his Mother’s side.

“My necklace is gone! There is a thief!” She grasped at her neck, staring at the other dancers.

Minseok looked around, noting the two dozen or so other people who were occupying the dance floor. And then his eyes narrowed at Baekhyun, who appeared to be shocked, staring at the Duchess alongside the other dancers, Chanyeol peeking over his shoulder.

Yunho emerged from the crowd, “The necklace may have fallen. Please, everyone, check your own clothing and pockets.”

Minseok knew it was a very obvious way to not accuse any of the guests of stealing while still investigating the likeliest culprits. As the guests, some of them visibly annoyed, checked their clothing, Minseok approached the Duchess.

“Did you notice when you lost your necklace, Your Grace?” Minseok asked.

“I was dancing and then one moment it was gone!” The Duchess looked around, as if the jewels would appear out of thin air.

“What an alarming event!” Baekhyun approached, ignoring Luhan’s glare. Luhan noticed that Sehun was also near, having been one of the dancers as well.

“The jewelry thief!” Exclamations were heard around the room, those in attendance well aware of the recent rash of thefts.

As guests muttered, talking amongst themselves, Baekhyun suddenly shouted “There- look! In D’Adderleigh’s pocket! Could it be the necklace?!”

Minseok blanched. Staring at Baekhyun he followed his eyes to where Baekhyun was pointing. A bulge in his inner jacket pocket. He reached in carefully, feeling the jewels. He wanted to cry. Or faint. Or run away. Instead he pulled the necklace from his inner pocket, all eyes on him. The world grew hazy as he took in one shocked look after another. They began speaking, accusing, whispering. It was three years ago all over again – but worse. Worse because…

There was Luhan. Staring at him with the most dreadful, confused, and sad expression on his face.

-------------------------

a/n- How do you like them apples? Can we all appreciate Kyungsoo having a secret hobby of reading trashy romance novels?! And please don’t worry, things will work out in the end. But who stole the necklace? Was it Sehun, with his huge debt? Baek, with all his jealousy and spite? Chanyeol, who of course is mad his friend was tossed aside? Someone else- who planted it on Minseok earlier?!  Who could it be….

Thank you for being patient with waiting for an update! My shoulder is starting to get better- though today I kind of said screw it I need to write and ignored the pain. Such is the power of wanting to write fan fiction LOL.

55 up-votes and 300+ subs! Thank you- I want to buy you all a basketful of puppies!!!!! <3