Chapter 21

The Masquerade

Kyungsoo focused on Jongin’s snoring. It was better than listening to what he had been listening to, which was suspicious creaking and other interesting noises.

“If they are going to screw like rabbits I am out of here. Come on Minho, let’s go drink.” Taemin had left a few hours before, which Kyungsoo thought was a good move considering the colorful sounds continued.

Kyungsoo and Jongin tried to ignore the din, Jongin seeming to have more success ignoring the noise than Kyungsoo, who found himself blushing each time he heard another throaty moan. He was seriously starting to question how his employer had so much stamina, until he realized he didn’t really want to know about that. Finally Jongin had given up and fallen asleep, warning Kyungsoo to not bother talking to Minseok about the Sehun situation until the next morning.

Kyungsoo had considered knocking on the second floor door when everything quieted down - but then he thought better of it. Minseok was probably…tired. And besides, after discussing the scene he had witnessed with Minho, Taemin, and Jongin the trio had decided Minseok may try to do something foolish the minute he found out about Sehun’s apparent captivity.

Kyungsoo wondered if Sehun was being used as bait. Everyone knew about Sehun’s broken engagement with Minseok, and if anyone bothered to do any digging they could easily figure out Minseok was quite in love with the boy at one time. In addition Sehun was not someone who could easily be snatched away by kidnappers without causing a very loud, likely to be publicized scene. The facts didn’t add up the more Kyungsoo considered it. There was a possibility that perhaps he had been kidnapped due to his debts, but Kyungsoo thought it was more likely Sehun would break down and ask for money from his Father before his gambling would incur a kidnapping.

As Kyungsoo pondered what Sehun’s appearance meant, he heard a noise. This time the noise was not of the thumping variety and sounded more like footsteps. He stayed very still, listening, though hearing anything over Jongin’s snoring was difficult. The footsteps sounded like they were coming from the staircase. Looking towards the staircase he didn’t see a candle, which would be the usual indication Minseok or Luhan was leaving the room. Perhaps he was imagining things. Still listening in between snores he didn’t hear anything else. After a few more minutes Kyungsoo’s fatigue got the best of him, he drifted off to sleep.

***

Sehun had found a few glass marbles, apparently long ago discarded in the shack he was currently residing in. He had been spinning them on the floor for the last hour, bored out of his mind. Apparently playing a kidnap victim was worse than attending one of his Aunt’s Sunday dinners – and he had always thought it was impossible to find anything as boring as that witches hours long get-togethers.

The room Sehun was being kept in was windowless. It had a small wooden chair and a hay stuffed mattress which Sehun wouldn’t go near. He was pretty sure it was infested with fleas, as everything in this part of the city likely was. Sehun had never been in the East End in his entire life and he deeply regretted that record had been broken.

When Sehun had shown up to Yunho’s office to turn himself in for his role as bait, he had asked about how long the situation would last. Would he be fed well? What sort of place would he be kept at? Yunho had smiled slyly. Sehun should have turned tail and ran right then, his gambling debts be damned.

Sehun spent the first few hours wondering if Minseok would really rush to his rescue when he learned he was being held captive. From what he gathered his role as bait was supposed to fool Minseok into thinking Sehun had been kidnapped, inciting something noble and good in Minseok that would cause him to rush immediately to his ex-fiancée’s rescue. What would happen when Minseok was caught?

Sehun remembered growing up with Minseok, how determined the older man was. He was always the stronger one, emotionally and physically. He had all but proven that when he had taken the fall for their broken engagement. Sehun was truly thankful for Minseok’s sacrifice, he was. Yet something inside Sehun wasn’t sorry about Minseok being caught if he took the bait. Because, according to Yunho, Minseok was a criminal. If Minseok was guilty he should turn himself in. If Minseok wasn’t guilty he should still face the law and plead his case.

Plus Sehun wanted to be gone from this place.

The door to the small room clicked open, Sehun letting the marbles roll away as he stared at the door. Was it dinner time? He immediately frowned when the person that entered was not carrying a tray of food.

“How are you holding up, old boy?” Yunho asked, shutting and locking the door behind him.

“How do you think I am holding up? You could have at least put me somewhere a bit cleaner.” Sehun motioned towards the mattress.

“Now where would the fun be in that?” Yunho asked as he sat on the single wooden chair. “You have a roof over your head, you should be thankful.”

“Hm.” Sehun snorted, “Has Minseok been sighted?”

Yunho crossed his legs, eying Sehun “You truly only care about yourself, don’t you?”

“That is not true!” Sehun protested.

“You feel no guilt at acting as bait for your ex-fiancée?” Yunho questioned.

“If he is guilty he should go to prison.” Sehun answered matter-of-factly.

“What a sense of justice you have, old boy.” Yunho remarked. “I would wager you are trying to cover up your own involvement in the crimes.”

“I hate you.” Sehun glared.

“How adorable you are.” Yunho laughed. The Earl of Pressley’s son was certainly an entertaining young man.

***

The sun was breaking over the horizon when Taemin and Minho stumbled into the house, staggering in their inebriated state. The racket they made woke Jongin and Kyungsoo, both of whom took some time to register what was going on.

Minho stumbled towards his brother “Joooonnnngiiiinnnieeeeeeee waake up!”

“Minho?” Jongin rubbed his eyes. As Minho’s breathe, heavy with the smell of whiskey, hit him he cringed. “You are drunk.”

“Maaaayyybeee.” Minho hiccupped “But I have something ‘portant to teeeelll you.”

“There aaareee agents everywhere.” Taemin butted in, seemingly no more sober than his older brother.

“Police?!” Kyungsoo shot up from his makeshift bed. When he had been out the evening prior he had not seen a single police man or agent. The only suspicious encounter he had was when he had chanced upon Sehun being shoved into that house.

“Hm. Seems the croown seeent people here.” Taemin drawled “Probably not safe” Hiccup “Anymore.”

Not safe? Kyungsoo leapt out of bed and made his way for the stairs. He needed to talk to Minseok, right away. The door to the second floor opened before Kyungsoo could reach it, Minseok standing in the doorway. One look at his employer and Kyungsoo could tell something was wrong.

“Is Luhan downstairs?” Minseok asked.

“No…”Kyungsoo felt his chest tighten.

“He is gone.” Minseok looked like he was about to throw up.

***

Heechul hated waking up in another person’s bed. Absolutely abhorred it. If he decided to spend his night in the pursuit of pleasure he always ensured that he left and went home after the deed was done. Yet he had somehow been foolish enough to fall asleep the night prior, much to his annoyance. Even more to his annoyance when he heard his bed partner let out a few choice bursts of gas.

Pinching his nose he got out of bed. His clothing was scattered about the room. Finding his shirt and pants he dressed quickly. Heechul was starting to wonder what had gotten into him.

Aww, right, he thought, it was his latest goal. A very delectable, very angry Kim Jongdae shouting at him in front of Byun Baekhyun’s house. What were the words exactly – “Why don’t you find out for yourself”. Yes, something like that. Something to the effect that if he was so damn curious as to why Baekhyun was a suspect maybe he should investigate.

Heechul had pushed that thought from his mind afterwards, going about his usual daily routine of doing nothing of any consequence to anyone. Yet that display of anger, those words, kept popping back up. And then he had no choice really, not after he met a very drunk agent from the Home Office in a tavern. What a surprisingly convenient encounter, Heechul thought.

It really was not a difficult seduction, Heechul realized that when the agent had all but invited Heechul home with him after only ten minutes of conversation. Heechul had played hard to get, however, because he wanted to know some things. And those things were rather freely acquired, even more easily acquired when Heechul promised to sleep with the man.

Heechul had learned some very interesting facts of what the Home Office had pieced together regarding the crimes. Herringwoods, that gaming hell, had something to do with the thefts. So did Baekhyun’s sister, who was now deceased. The agent had faltered, admitting he didn’t know much more – but Heechul knew enough. Because one thing the agent didn’t know and couldn’t know is that when Kim Heechul wanted something he would throw his rare exertions of energy into it. And right now what he wanted the most was Kim Jongdae, who was currently very angry and very busy with his friend D’Adderleigh’s criminal charges. Now that Heechul had a starting place, he decided he could rather easily find the next step. Because so help him he would have Jongdae smiling at him before the month was out.

***

Minseok was in shock. Absolute shock. Luhan had left? What came next did not help the situation.

“Sir, I need to talk to you.” Kyungsoo stepped forward, indicating to Minseok that he wanted to speak to him alone. Minseok moved, letting Kyungsoo into the second floor room. He was numb.

Kyungsoo shut the door quietly. He turned to his employer, wanting very much to take away all the pain. Instead he would have to add to it. “Minho and Taemin report that there are patrols all over the East End.”

“What if Luhan was caught?!” Minseok panicked immediately.

“I don’t think so. He isn’t wanted, if you recall.” Kyungsoo tried to keep his voice calm and his tone even, “There is something else.”

“What is it?” Minseok wasn’t sure he was ready for anything else.

“I saw Sehun yesterday.”

“Sehun…” Minseok was confused. Why would Sehun be in the East End?

“He was being taken into a rundown house. It appeared that he was being held in ropes.” Kyungsoo watched as Minseok’s eyes lit up at the news “Please, listen, sir. I think he may be acting as bait, as a trap to lure you in.”

“A trap?” Minseok tried to digest everything he had just learned, but it was too much. He sat down on the bed, holding his hands up he cradled his face. Luhan was gone. Agents were everywhere. And Sehun was kidnapped.

“Sir, I don’t think it is safe here anymore. We need to relocate.” Kyungsoo remained calm, despite the fact he very much wanted to launch into a fit of hysterics “I suggest we start thinking of places where we can safely hide.”

Minseok didn’t say anything. He remained seated, hiding his face with his hands. Kyungsoo remained silent, by his side, waiting until his employer would offer an indication of what to do next. Minseok didn’t offer anything, however, other than a few silent sobs as the tears began to flow.

***

“Are you certain this is a good idea?” Junmyeon was having a hard time keeping up with Jongdae’s purposeful strides. Junmyeon found himself half jogging lest he loose Jongdae, amazed at his friends speed.

Jongdae didn’t bother answering, he didn’t even bother acknowledging Junmyeon’s words. He kept walking. They were near the building that housed the Home Office, the white building fast approaching.

Junmyeon was slightly regretting agreeing to follow Jongdae on his latest mission. They had met for tea that morning, Jongdae fuming over his Uncle’s behavior. “I should go confront him, ask him yet again why he would be so foolish as to assume Minseok is guilty when he doesn’t fit the description the maid gave us.”

Junmyeon had tried to talk Jongdae out of it, but his friend was resolute. So Junmyeon had agreed to come along. As they walked Jongdae’s anger only seemed to intensify. Every once in a while he would fume about how ridiculous Yunho was acting, practically spitting out his words.

When they reached the front door of the Home Office building Jongdae all but threw the door open. The elderly man who usually tended to the door jumped back in surprise, the loud noise of the door hitting the plaster wall unexpected.

“May I help you, sir?” The man asked, recognizing Jongdae and Junmyeon immediately. “Your Uncle is currently out.”

“Out? Where?” Jongdae asked, his words more of a command than a polite question.

“I am not certain, sir.” The man answered. Fortuitously another agent walked down the hall, overhearing Jongdae’s question as he approached.

“Jongdae! How does this fine morning greet you, old boy?” The agent asked.

“Where is my Uncle?” Jongdae asked curtly.

“Ah. Busy in the East End with Earl Pressley’s son.” The agent answered nonchalantly. Jongdae could almost hug the man. The agent must not know that Yunho wanted Jongdae off the case. Jongdae tensed, he had to be careful how he approached the situation.

“With Se-“Junmyeon started to ask, voicing his own confusion, when Jongdae elbowed him.

“Ah, yes. With Lord Sehun. Please, do you have the address? I seem to have lost the file my Uncle provided me.” Jongdae smiled, trying to disarm any suspicion the man may have possibly had. The agent looked at ease, apparently housing no sort of suspicion towards Jongdae or Junmyeon.

“Yes. Please wait a moment and I will fetch it for you.” The agent disappeared back down the hallway.

“What was that for?” Junmyeon asked, rubbing his side where Jongdae had elbowed him.

“Be quiet or the next one will be worse.” Jongdae said from under his breath, trying to keep his smile. When the agent returned, handing Jongdae a paper with an address written on it, Jongdae thanked him and left. He would have to remember to thank the man latter, because he had just done Jongdae a very big favor indeed. Now to find out what Yunho was doing with Sehun in the worst part of town.

***

“Your grace, your son has returned.” The maid bowed to the Duchess, keeping her head down as she had been taught.

“My son?” The Duchess wasn’t sure she had heard the girl correctly. Her son, as in the one that ran away with that no good murderer and thief? The one that she had paid a small fortune to keep out of the papers and off of the most wanted list.

“Yes, Your grace.” The maid answered.

“Please see him in at once.” The Duchess tried to remain composed as was expected of someone of her rank and social standing. Yet she noticed her hands were shaking, ever so. Clasping them together she willed her anxiety away. Her son was home.

***

Kyungsoo remained standing, unsure of what to say, how to ease his employer’s sorrow. Minseok had stopped crying, or at least if he still was crying Kyungsoo could no longer hear it. Kyungsoo stared around the room, observing the fact that the bed was a mess. Remembering the noises of the day prior Kyungsoo felt heat creep up his face. He tried to tell himself to think of chickens or baby animals or how horrible Jongin was at being a valet instead of those noises. While he internally lectured himself he spotted something odd jutting out from the bed.

Kyungsoo walked to the bed, and very delicately (he was not keen to touch the bedding for reasons) he pulled the object from the bed. It was a piece of paper. Holding it up Kyungsoo could quickly see that it was some sort of note. Scanning the sheet of paper he saw the signature.

“Sir, there is a note.” Kyungsoo held the paper out to Minseok, not daring to read it himself.

Minseok finally held his head up. Kyungsoo almost cringed at the sight, Minseok’s face was tear stained, his cheeks bright red. Minseok took the offered paper, reading it. After a few minutes he spoke. “He left to save me. He says he left to save me.”

“What does that mean, sir?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Luhan is going to confront Baekhyun himself. He thinks he can get him to confess if he is guilty.” Minseok whispered.

“Sir?!” Kyungsoo was alarmed that Mr. Can’t-remember-his-valet’s-name had that sort of bravery in him. He had run away with Minseok, which surprised Kyungsoo, but to return to confront the suspect? A surprise indeed.

“I can’t let him do that.” Minseok looked at Kyungsoo, his eyes wild, “Kyungsoo, I can’t let him do that.”

Kyungsoo wasn’t sure what to say. So he said nothing.

Minseok stood, waving the letter in one hand “Where is Sehun? Where did you see him?”

“What, Sir?!” Kyungsoo was shocked as Minseok grabbed Kyungsoo’s shirt, shaking him, repeating the question.

“Where is Sehun? I need to go. I need to end this! I can’t let Luhan do this. I can’t let him take this on himself.” Minseok had never before grabbed Kyungsoo like this, the valet was surprised. He got over his shock quickly, however, as Minseok’s words registered with him.

“No! You can’t go. I believe it is a trap, sir.” Kyungsoo tried to grab onto Minseok in turn, hold his employer still, and keep him from leaving. It was a fruitless effort. As Kyungsoo reached out to grab Minseok’s shirt in turn his employer let go, Kyungsoo stumbling backwards and reaching out to regain his footing. He watched in horror as Minseok strode out of the room, the letter still clutched in his hand.

***

 Luhan bowed to his Mother in greeting, as he had done hundreds maybe thousands of times before.

“You have returned.” The Duchess was holding back tears.

“I am sorry to have worried you.” Luhan sat down, taking the offered cup of tea. He tried to appear composed, though inwardly he was anything but. The image of Minseok, sleeping, oblivious, kept appearing before him. The action of kissing Minseok’s forehead, bidding him a silent goodbye, knotted his insides into an impossibly painful feeling.

“Let us never speak of this again, son.” The Duchess said calmly “We shall pretend it never happened.”

Her words let Luhan know exactly how his parents stood on the matter. His Mother’s words indicated a firm decision that Luhan could return without consequence and any association with Minseok was to be forgotten. A terrible reality indeed.

------------------

 a/n- There was a lot of action in this chapter (though not as much in the last chapter haha *forgive my lame sense of humor*). Sehun is playing bait to lure Minseok in, Luhan returned to his normal life in the hopes he can get Baek to confess (if in fact he is guilty), Heechul is doing some investigating of his own, Jongdae and Junmyeon know about Sehun as bait, and Minseok is ready to end everything and turn himself in because he doesn’t want Luhan playing the noble idiot. Yikes!

Thank you for everyone who is sticking it out through the clues and mystery! The story will wrap up in 7 or 8 chapters and all will be revealed. Thanks also to those who have shared their theories, I love reading them (and some of you have been right, or at least most of the way right keke). I promise the ending will not be sad, so please hang in there!

Thank you thank you thank you to all the subbers. Over 400! Wow! And the up-voters and commenters and the silent readers too. *hugs* - LC

PS- I joined the 21st century and created a twitter the other day. Please give me a follow and I will follow back, if you are so inclined. Though I warn you that my poor sense of humor is probably a thousand times worse on my twitter than in my fics haha.