Chapter 23

The Masquerade

“Why can’t I have a happy day, at least once?” Baekhyun was frustrated. He reclined back in his chair, folding his arms behind his head.

“You speak as though you live a life of misery.” Chanyeol smiled “When we both know that is not the case.”

“Not the case? Not the case? Have you bene paying attention to what I have been speaking about?” Baekhyun kicked at Chanyeol.

“I have been paying attention.” Chanyeol had not really been paying that close of attention. At times it was best to let Baekhyun talk and feign the action of listening. It had always been like that between them. Chanyeol wanted to give Baekhyun comfort, but even he had its limits when it came to his friend’s whining.

“Well, then what shall I do?” Baekhyun asked, not daring to figure out his predicament for himself.

Chanyeol considered his friend’s question. He could be honest, though he knew Baekhyun wouldn’t want to hear his honest answer. He could play it safe because Baekhyun would likely do whatever he pleased any way. Yes, he would be vague and let Baekhyun figure it out himself.

A knock sounded on the parlor door.

“Come in.” Baekhyun called, not bothering to look towards the door. He wasn’t very good at acknowledging the presence of his servants.

“You have a caller, Sir.” The maid announced, “The Earl of Easton.”

Baekhyun immediately perked up. He looked at Chanyeol, his eyes wide.

“Don’t you dare do something foolish.” Chanyeol warned, knowing that Luhan’s visit would likely facilitate some reckless behavior on Baekhyun’s part.

“What if –" Baekhyun started, but Chanyeol cut him off.

“Baekhyun, think. Please. Do not do something you will regret.” Chanyeol warned, standing. He would need to leave, though he desperately wanted to be present lest Baekhyun leaned towards idiocy. He would have to trust his friend, however difficult it would prove to be.

***

Heechul had a very good, very reliable friend. Well, good friend in that she asked no questions as long as he paid her well. It was the easiest money she could make given her other, more lucrative business dealings. Very reliable in that she dealt in gossip, only the best, most scandalous, most secretive of gossip.

“Rosie, my dear. “ Heechul planted a kiss on the woman’s cheek “How are you?”

“Tired.” She answered. It was a rather standard answer from her. Heechul had known her since she was the toast of the town for her bit part in the fabulous play “A Gentleman and A Wager.” Ever since her acting debut she had been sought by a string of wealthy men, all of which she turned down. I prefer to look for love, she had uttered more than once, Heechul nodding in agreement. She often complained that such unwelcome attentions drained her energy and left her in want of a nap every few hours. Heechul thought she just really liked to nap.

“Hm. Yes. Well, we can’t all be such a Cyprian –“

“Bird of Paradise. I prefer the term Bird of Paradise.” She corrected him, waving her feathered fan for effect.

“Of course.” Heechul smiled “Now, my bird of paradise, tell me everything you know about the owners of Herringwoods.”

The woman sighed as if Heechul had requested that she recite the entire history of the country in great detail. Moving her fan from side to side, feigning boredom, she began “Well what an interesting question. I suppose you have yet to meet the owner. A very interesting man, he is. They say he looks like a cat.”

Heechul listened intently, exceedingly interested in who she was referring to.

***

“Where are we going?” Sehun asked, trying with all his might to not vomit from the rocking and lurching of the carriage.

“Why did we let him on again, Sir?” Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes at Sehun. He truly disliked the man. It had been a little over an hour since they had boarded the carriage and made a run for it. Jongdae, thankfully, was a very skilled driver, able to shake off the pursuing agents. They had just made it out of the city, entering the countryside and leaving the teeming metropolis behind.

Sehun rolled his eyes at Kyungsoo, earning a jab from Tao’s elbow “Sehun, they rescued us, this is no time to be rude.” Tao lectured his boyfriend, which had Kyungsoo smirking at the scene.

“Jongdae – stop the carriage!” Minseok pounded on the roof. They were far enough out of the city that they should be safe to stop for a moment. They needed to regroup. Minseok desperately wanted to know why Jongdae had helped him escape and had not arrested him.

Jongdae complied, pulling the carriage to a stop off the dusty road. They were out of the city, though the roads north were well travelled. Jongdae had purposely taken a less travelled, rather rough path, hoping to avoid any agents that may be combing the road north. There was no one ahead or behind them within sight, allowing Jongdae to feel that it was safe enough to stop.

Minseok walked some feet from the carriage, wanting to converse in private with Jongdae. His thoughts of privacy were halted when Kyungsoo, Jongin, and Junmyeon approached the spot as well. When Sehun and Tao left the carriage and did the same, the notion of a private conversation with Jongdae was obliterated.

“Why didn’t you arrest me?” Minseok started, wanting to know the answer to that question more than anything else at the moment.

“Because I believe you are innocent and Yunho is hiding something.” Jongdae turned to Sehun “Why were you with him in that house?”

“He tricked me into playing bait for Minseok.” Sehun explained.

“You mean you weren’t really kidnapped?!” Tao’s mouth dropped open in surprise “I beat up all of those men for no reason!”

“I was really bored, that is a good reason for rescuing me, right?” Sehun tried to look cute, but Tao was not about to fall for his charms.

“So you were his plan to get Minseok to turn himself in.” Jongdae regretted not realizing that right away.

“It was a trap, Sir.” Kyungsoo remarked to Minseok, finding some vindication that his instincts were correct.

“Are you no longer working for the Home Office?” Minseok turned his attention to Jongdae. Jongdae would surely have more information on recent events than anyone else.

“No, I am afraid not. Neither is Junmyeon, we were asked to leave the case when our opinions differed with Yunho’s opinions.”

“There was a witness who saw the thief.” Junmyeon chimed in “And he most certainly was not you. She didn’t get a look at his face, however she described him as tall.”

Minseok would have protested a jab at his height if he wasn’t so wrapped up in finding out more of the situation at hand. “Tall? Any other leads since I have been away?”

It was a full fifteen minutes of discussion that followed. Jongdae filled Minseok in on the murder of the Baroness and of Baekhyun’s sister, of finding out that Yunho was withholding information from him. Minseok shared what they had learned about Baekhyun’s families financial difficulties and the person only referred to as “Vic”. Sehun interjected frequently asking what was going on, until Tao dragged him away, muttering apologies while calling Sehun an annoying brat. Kyungsoo decided Tao was his new favorite person, or one of them anyway.

“So where do we go from here?” Junmyeon asked, once all of the evidence had been shared.

“We definitely cannot go back to the city right now.” Jongdae vocalized what they all were aware of, the city was teeming with agents out for their heads. Or at least some of their heads.

“What of the estate?” Kyungsoo offered, though rather reluctantly. He could honestly not think of any other options. He knew Minseok wouldn’t be eager to return to the place, but it may be their only option.

“The estate?” Minseok considered it. The D’Adderleigh estate would likely be watched, however the expansive grounds had more than one place to hide. Minseok knew the place well, knew of all of the small cottages on the hundred plus acre sprawl, all of the places where even a Home Office Agent wouldn’t know to look.

“Sorry, old boy, I don’t think we can go anywhere near my family’s home. Not when Yunho is probably vilifying me to my parents as we speak.” Jongdae explained. Junmyeon confirmed the same, there was no way his parents would not know he paid a visit to his family’s country home.

“There is a small cottage on the grounds of the D’Adderleigh estate that is all but hidden from sight.” Minseok thought back to the secluded place, where once, in happier times, a hermit had lived. It was a fashionable move, to have a hermit dwell on the grounds of a family estate, and he had done so before moving on after Minseok’s father’s death. As far as Minseok knew the house was now empty.

“How far away is your family estate, sir?” Jongin had remained largely quiet during the ordeal. Now that they were out of the city he was feeling drastically out of his element. He had lived in the city his entire life, never before had he left the place other than to accompany Luhan on trips to the Hayden estate. A very short, rather structured trip that had him never feeling out of place. But now, with the road ahead of them and an unknown journey certain, his nerves were getting the better of him.

“We can reach the place by nightfall, if we make good time.” Minseok worried for the horses, if they were being considerate they should change them out somewhere along the road. But doing so may be their downfall, they would have to trudge ahead.

“To the north we go.” Jongdae announced, staring down the road. Now he just hoped that they would make it without any difficulties.

***

Baekhyun beamed as Luhan entered the room. He felt a happiness burst forth in him that he had thought was dead, especially after the rather tense letter from his Father that morning.

“Luhan. What a pleasant surprise. Please, sit.” Baekhyun gestured towards the red velvet chair, “You have never before visited me at my apartment.”

Luhan was having a difficult time remaining composed and he had only just arrived. It was difficult to see Baekhyun, to suspect Baekhyun was behind it all, and greet him with a smile. Yet he had to. He had known Baekhyun long enough to know how he would react to harsh words. He had to play it safe.

“Yes, well, there is a first for everything.” Luhan was relieved his voice sounded calm and composed.

“I would have thought you would be otherwise engaged in planning your wedding.” Baekhyun said rather nonchalantly.

Luhan swallowed, reminding himself to keep calm. Keep calm. “Yes, well that is indeed a very momentous task.”

“I was shocked that it was not announced at your family’s gala. I will admit,” Baekhyun flashed a sheepish smile “I held a little hope that the lack of announcement meant I still have a chance.”

Luhan could scream, hit him, tell him in a hundred different ways why he would never have a chance. Was Baekhyun a murderer? A thief? Was he that depraved? Even if he wasn’t he still behaved in a most unwelcome manner towards Minseok, Luhan couldn’t forgive him for it.

“Baekhyun, I am here for a reason.” Luhan took a deep breath and began “I know that we did not end on the happiest of notes, though I still do think of you as a very good friend. A very good friend I could always trust.” Yes, ply him with compliments, boost his ego.

“Thank you, Luhan. I have always felt the same. Albeit I wish we could be more than friends.” Baekhyun clasped his hands together, looking ever the composed young nobleman.

“Baekhyun, I need you to do me a favor. I need you to be the honest friend I so dearly cherish.” Luhan wanted to vomit in his mouth at his words, but he struggled through them “I need you to tell me if you have had anything to do with the recent thefts. Please, I won’t turn you in. I just want to know.”

Baekhyun didn’t move for a few seconds as if Luhan’s words had frozen him. When he did move it was to throw his head back and laugh loudly. “My, Luhan, you certainly have an interesting sense of humor.”

“I am being serious.” Luhan watched as Baekhyun continued to laugh, though his laughter began to fade as Luhan stared at him.

“You honestly take me for a thief? I am sorry, old boy, but the word on the street is that your future husband is wanted for such crimes. Or ex-future husband, perhaps?”

“He is innocent.” Luhan answered with far too much conviction, checking his tone he said “Or so I believe. Baekhyun, I learned some things and unfortunately you seem to be involved in these terrible acts. I know you couldn’t do such things without reason. Please, tell me, for old time’s sake?”

“You want me to confess to you so your darling Viscount can go free?” Baekhyun was no longer laughing “You thought you could waltz in here and use our past relationship to earn a confession? What do you take me for, Luhan?”

There was no way for Luhan to answer that question and not anger Baekhyun further, so he remained silent. He watched as Baekhyun stood, sighing heavily and walked towards the window. Baekhyun stood and stared out the window, not saying anything. Finally he spoke, his words barely above a whisper.

“How badly do you want Minseok free? What are you willing to do?”

Luhan felt his blood turn to ice. It was an eerily conniving question. One that he was certain would have long lasting consequences. Yet it was the truth – what he would do to see Minseok free. “Anything, I will do anything.”

“Good. Very good.” Baekhyun turned away from the window, a sadistic smile on his face.

***

The Duke and Duchess of Hayden were sitting in the Duke’s study when Luhan arrived. He had requested a conversation with the both of them, an unusual request that surely indicated a serious matter. In lieu of his recent disappearance the Duke and Duchess took his request very seriously, ready to show a united front and talk their son out of any subsequent foolishness.

Yet, he apparently wasn’t going to be foolish anymore. No, apparently not.

“I would like both of you to give your consent to a formal engagement between Byun Baekhyun and myself.” Luhan didn’t betray any despair at the request. He didn’t seem to be upset.

The Duke and Duchess nodded at each other, a code between spouses who had been together for decades, a queue that they were in agreement. Luhan’s fixation on Minseok had been their utmost worry of late, he had even run off with the man. It had been a very large sum that was paid out to cover it up, and the couple had feared their son would return without having given up on the match. Their fears were apparently for naught.

“I will approve the match if you promise that you will never try to contact the Viscount D’Adderleigh again and will completely disavow your prior engagement to him. I have made some inquiries and I can cover up your engagement to the man as a foolish prank, but only if you promise me that you will no longer pursue him.” The Duke spoke firmly, waiting for his son’s response.

“I agree to your conditions, sir.” Luhan answered. He had never felt such self-loathing as he did at that moment.