Chapter 11

The Masquerade

“Will you be returning late tonight, sir?” Kyungsoo asked quietly, still miffed over Minseok’s announcement earlier in the day.

Minseok had soothed Kyungsoo, tried to convince him that Minseok’s impending marriage would not change a single thing in terms of his friendship and his deep abiding loyalty to his trusty valet. Kyungsoo had finally stopped crying and went about his day, with a few comments here and there regarding how despicable it was Luhan couldn’t even be bothered to know the name of the man in charge of dressing him.

Minseok was resolute Luhan would have to learn his valets name and quickly – or Kyungsoo would never accept him.

“I may be a bit late in returning this evening.” Minseok responded. He wasn’t quite sure when he would return home to be honest. It was Monday evening and he had a rather suspicious, mysterious gambling game to attend at Herringwoods.

He had met with Jongdae and Junmyeon earlier in the day, after managing to nearly shove Luhan out the door that is. Luhan was sad to learn that Minseok would not be attending the soiree that evening due to a lack of invitation – announcing he would invite Minseok himself.

Minseok wasn’t about to explain to Luhan that he had plans at a gambling hell which is why he couldn’t go to the soiree, so he declined the invitation on account of the fact he needed some time to himself, to digest the news of their engagement. Luhan had pouted, acted like a child, before realizing he had to take his leave for a prearranged appointment with a man from his club. Minseok gladly watched him go, still growing accustomed to how affectionate Luhan could be when they were alone.

When Jongdae and Junmyeon had arrived Minseok was still trying to get a good grasp on what he should do during the game, especially if anything went wrong.

“We can’t go with you old boy, but if something is the matter please don’t hesitate to use this.” Jongdae held a small pistol in his hands, Minseok widening his eyes at the sight.

“Shoot someone? I can’t shoot someone!” Minseok protested.

“Hopefully you won’t have to. But better safe than sorry.” Jongdae had handed the pistol over, Junmyeon staring at it as though it was a strange and exotic site.

“I rather hate pistols myself.” Junmyeon remarked “I never saw the point.”

Minseok had tucked the small pistol into his pocket, hoping that the thing would not go off by accident and tear a hole in his side.

Minseok departed his home a little past nine thirty at night, calculating the time it would take him to walk to Herringwoods. When he reached the club he found himself feeling an overwhelming sense of anxiety. He choked down the feeling, pushing the door open. When the doorman offered to take his coat he inquired after the midnight game, just as he had been instructed to do the week prior.

The doorman smirked, apparently finding some humor in Minseok’s words. “A new participant, I see. Right this way sir.”

Minseok followed the doorman as they passed the gambling rooms that Minseok had gambled in during his prior visit. The rooms were on each side of a long hall, the lighting seemingly kept purposefully low, the dark green wallpaper only making the place seem more cavernous. At the end of the hall was a door – the doorman took out a key ring and unlocked it.

“Please enjoy the game sir.” The man bowed, leaving Minseok to stand in front of the large wooden, paneled door. Minseok took a deep breath, unsure of himself. He had to find confidence before he entered, he had to.

Finally feeling like he could face whatever was ahead of him Minseok turned the doorknob, opening the door to reveal a large gambling table, several men sitting around. They all stopped to look at the door when he entered. It must really be quite the exclusive game, Minseok thought, seeing as how everyone paused to eye up the newcomer.

Minseok bowed slightly before pulling his packet of money from his coat. He would have to buy in and he had brought five times the amount he had gambled with the week prior. There was one empty seat at the table, so he moved to claim it.

The lighting in the room was even darker than that in the hallway, only a few candles here and there illuminating the table and casting enough light for the players to read their cards. Minseok did not have a clear look at the other players until he was seated, only noting the general form of men gathered around the table.

Looking around the room he did not recognize anyone at first, stealing a glance here and there as he was dealt his chips. When he finished stacking them neatly he was given the opportunity to take more time sizing up his opponents. And that is when his composure nearly fell apart. Seated across the table from him was Sehun, who was looking away, trying to look anywhere but at Minseok, not daring to meet his eyes.

***

Luhan yawned, throwing his hand over his mouth to hide his boredom. It was a rather boring party, Heechul wasn’t there so Luhan was left to make the rounds of the room with polite greetings uttered after very obvious whispers about his engagement. He couldn’t help it, being bored that is.  He wondered what Minseok was doing, what he was thinking…if he was lying in bed. In bed. Luhan gulped, suddenly very awake.

He tried to shake the thoughts of a Minseok from his mind, which was…difficult. His attention was turned from dirty thoughts when Baekhyun’s arrival was announced. He had tried to think of the best time to apologize to Baekhyun and he had honestly been unable to discover what setting would be the most appropriate, allowing for his momentary relief that the man was attending the soiree that evening.

Luhan knew very well that apologizing to Baekhyun at his own home or at Baekhyun’s would be foolish and inappropriate. That left a social setting. True, he could ask Baekhyun to take tea with him or meet him at the park but he didn’t want the invitation to be misconstrued. Perhaps he could find a moment to speak to him alone that night.

Luhan didn’t have to wait long for the opportunity to arise. Baekhyun made the first move, very purposefully approaching Luhan.

“My lord.” Baekhyun quipped, Luhan noticing the bite to his words “I do fear we need to speak to each other.”

“Yes, I think we do.” Luhan agreed. He followed as Baekhyun led him to a sparsely populated corner of the room.

“I want to apologize, for everything.” Luhan spoke first “It was unfair -what I did- and I am sorry.”

Baekhyun feigned a smile “Yes, it was rather horrible of you.”

“I am very sorry, truly.” Luhan did feel bad about not telling Baekhyun beforehand.

“I am shocked you would chose D’Adderleigh over me- to think of having to live with so much…scandal.” Baekhyun smiled sweetly.

Luhan opened his mouth and spoke without considering, Baekhyun's words begging for a hasty response “We both know we weren’t a love match, it was only a match of convenience.” Luhan regretted his words as soon as Baekhyun let out a laugh, a mocking tone to his joy.

“Pray do tell, is your engagement to D’Adderleigh a love match?” Baekhyun held his hand over his mouth to stifle his laughter. Luhan flushed.

“Yes, I do consider it a love match.” Luhan answered firmly.

“Hm. In a week you have fallen in love?” Baekhyun questioned ,”Luhan, you know I have the utmost affection for you however I cannot help but think you have been most certainly duped.”

“What do you mean?” Luhan felt an anger growing inside of him, he worked hard to squelch it, push it down so he wouldn’t say anything he would regret.

“Do you honestly believe that D’Adderleigh loves you? That in a weeks’ time he has fallen so in love with you he will marry you?” Baekhyun had stopped laughing, though the mirth was still evident in his eyes “Have you not wondered why he would agree to an engagement so readily?”

“You don’t know what you are talking about.” Luhan was not about to let Baekhyun plant a seed of doubt in his mind. Minseok clearly liked Luhan as much as Luhan liked him. Yes, he had to. Didn’t he?

“Perhaps. I suppose time will tell. I am only advising you, as a friend, to think before you act next time. I don’t want to see you hurt. I still care for you.” Baekhyun positively radiated concern.

“Don’t try to cause me to doubt my decision due to your own agenda.” Luhan was shocked at his own strong response, letting the words slip before he unleashed anything more serious. Yet…something in him was surprised that he could show restraint yet voice his displeasure so… maturely. He hated Baekhyun playing on any fears that still lingered in his mind, twisting Luhan’s own insecurities to his advantage.

“My lord, my only agenda is to see you well. I hope you know that and in the end will realize who your friends truly are.” Baekhyun stared into Luhan’s eyes, knowing very well that he had at least given Luhan a momentary doubt over the engagement, even if it was fleeting ,”Now if you will excuse me my lord, I am back on the market.”

Luhan watched Baekhyun walk towards a group of young women, a smile on his face, his intent clear. He was back in business, literally back in the business of marriage, and had connections to make. Luhan shook Baekhyun’s words from his mind, deciding he should only focus on the fact he had met one of his father’s requirements. He had apologized to Baekhyun, no matter how difficult, or foreboding it had been.

***

Minseok had to stay conscious of where he was looking, because naturally he wanted to stare across the table at Sehun. What was Sehun doing here? Why? Sehun had never been a gambler, not in all the time that Minseok had known him – which was most of Minseok’s life. He had to admit though he knew very little about who Sehun had become, their once close relationship nonexistent for three years and counting.

The cards were dealt, the hands played. Minseok retained his composure and bet large and then larger sums of money. He won a hand, then another. Sehun kept loosing, at one point pounding his fist down on the table at his loss.

The other gamblers had mixed luck; so far none of them raised Minseok’s suspicions. There was an elderly gentleman who appeared slightly intoxicated. A thin younger man was seated next to the elderly gentleman, he spoke with a thick accent, likely coming from a less than savory part of town. Minseok wondered how he had the money to buy into the game, then considered it was probably for the best he didn’t know the details unless he needed to.

A younger man sat next to Sehun, his hair cropped unfashionably short, a small scar on his face. Minseok found his posture indicative of good breeding, perhaps some sort of nobleman fallen from grace or a very well versed servant of some kind. There was also a man who introduced himself as French nobility, though Minseok could not recall ever hearing the name before and decided it was likely a false identity.

He observed the players, noting how much they bet, how they spoke, what they did when they won and how they reacted to loosing. It was a waiting game, nothing of note occurring as hand after hand was played.

Minseok’s attendance at the exclusive and very high stakes game finally paid off as the man with the scar, a quiet man who kept his back straight and eyes sharp, having lost his large cache of chips, pulled a necklace from his pocket. Minseok attempted to feign indifference at the sight, luckily he was still able to see that it bore a very strange design – a musical note.

Minseok tensed, knowing that he had finally found some kind of tangible clue that tied everything back to Herringwoods. To this man. The man put the necklace up for ante, the dealer gladly taking the necklace and replacing it with chips. Minseok found it odd that the gambler nor the dealer haggled over its worth, the chips being given out as if the necklace was some sort of agreed upon unit of currency.

The game continued, Minseok checking his pocket watch to find that it was well past two in the morning. The tables had turned, Minseok finding himself on a solid winning streak. The drunken man went all in, loosing, soon stumbling from the room.

Sehun soon followed, meeting Minseok’s gaze for a brief second as he put everything in, pushing the chips forward. The rest of the table followed, the dwindling stacks of chips leveed by each desperate gambler, the room seemingly exhausted of the game, wishing for an end to arrive soon.

The final hand of cards were dealt, Minseok taking the win again. Groans, scowls, and curses filled the room as Minseok placed his winning hand down on the table.

“A newcomers luck.” The dealer winked, “I trust you will want your winnings tonight, sir?”

“May I retrieve the funds tomorrow?” Minseok asked. He wasn’t in need of the money now, not when he had to find out more about the man who had gambled the necklace, a man who would certainly be taking his leave any moment. Minseok wanted to talk to Sehun as well, find out what had driven him to join the game, but he couldn’t let the opportunity to question the man slip through his grasp.

The suspicious man stood, making his way to the door. Minseok quickly stood as well, stretching he thanked the dealer “You must be my lucky charm, sir.”

“I believe you must have lady luck on your side, my ability to deal cards aside.” The dealer shook Minseok’s hand before going back to cleaning up the table.

Minseok knew Sehun was staring at him, watching as he turned to leave. He should say something, or give some indication that he would speak to him later, but he couldn’t. He needed to move and fast.

Minseok left the room, finding the hallway empty. He walked down the hall quickly, not wanting to allow his best lead to escape. As he neared the entrance he caught the sight of the man exiting out the door, his long black coat a blur as he left the gambling club.

“My coat, please.” Minseok would have left without it if he didn’t think it would raise too many suspicions – his dashing from the club that is. The doorman fetched his coat fairly quickly, which was fortunate.

Minseok stepped into the cool night air, looking left than right. He saw a dark flash, a long coat, the same the man was wearing, turn down the long alley near the club. He braced himself against the nighttime chill, following the man, resolved to not lose sight of him.

The alley was dark, Minseok tried to move slowly, listening for the footsteps ahead of him to ensure he hadn’t lost his target. As he walked a dozen paces into the alley he heard the footsteps stop. He tensed – did the man sense him following?

A hand grabbed Minseok’s shoulder, Minseok panicking, his body swiveling, his fist raised.

“It is me!” Sehun yelled out, moving just in time as to avoid Minseok’s fist colliding with his face.

Minseok was breathing heavily, still surprised. “Sehun.” He should have known Sehun would follow him. Minseok wasn’t sure how to best explain to Sehun he didn’t have time to converse, he needed to follow the strange man. Looking down the dark alley and back to Sehun he knew that it was likely a lost cause, the man was likely long gone by now. Still, if he could make this short and sweet he could perhaps catch up with him.

“You are gambling now?” Sehun questioned. “You never used to gamble.”

“I could say the same for you.” Minseok challenged, “Is everything well with you? Why would you be in a place such as this?”

“Why would you?” Sehun seemed angry, upset. “Have you fallen so far in life that you have taken to gambling?”

“This is an outrageous statement coming from a man who was just sitting across the table from me!” Minseok felt the rage building inside. He had forgotten how Sehun could…act sometimes. “Are you in debt? Are you gambling away the family fortune?”

Sehun scoffed, “What fortune? The one that has most certainly done nothing but bring me pain?”

Minseok winced, turning to stare down the alley, hoping he could still find the man “Sehun, please. Take care of yourself.”

“Hm Yes, take care of myself.” Sehun laughed, lilting “Yet I should ignore the fact you are visiting such a place? After announcing your engagement to someone you barely know?”

Minseok wanted the conversation to end as soon as possible, he wanted to forget the feelings that such words caused him. Perhaps he would have been able to give Sehun a proper dressing down while still finding time to finish the task at hands. Perhaps morphed into a shattered chance as a rush of air brushed past Minseok, someone knocking him to the ground a second later.

Minseok was dazed, wincing in pain as his back collided with the ground. He managed to regain his senses fairly quickly, pulling himself to his feet in time to see Sehun struggling with someone. In the dim light he could make out the attacker. It was the man he had been tailing, long coat moving as he scuffled with Sehun.

Minseok grabbed the man from behind, whirling him around and off of Sehun he threw a punch. His fist collided with the man’s face, hard. The man staggered back, blood trickling from his mouth. Sehun stood dazed, unsure of what to do.

“Who are you?” Minseok asked, panting.

“Someone who knows a man working for the home department when he sees them.” The man spat blood before launching himself back towards Minseok. The impact of the man throwing himself full force into Minseok’s chest caused Minseok to stumble backwards a few steps, finally righting himself as he launched into a scuffle with the man.

The man’s fist found Minseok’s stomach, punching once Minseok doubled over. He threw himself forward, attempting to knock the man down. His action was unsuccessful as the man stepped aside, letting Minseok dive into thin air. Minseok whirled around, staggering, throwing a punch. This time he was successful, the man falling back towards where Sehun stood unmoving, shocked.

Minseok watched in horror as the man pulled a small knife from his pocket, taking advantage of the fact Minseok was still panting and clutching his side. With a swift movement he stuck the blade into Sehun’s side, Sehun crying out and collapsing as the man pulled the knife out, taking the moment of madness to escape.  

Minseok staggered towards where Sehun was doubled over. Feeling in his pocket he pulled out his pistol, but the man was long gone, running up the street and disappearing into the darkness.

“Sehun?! Sehun?!” Minseok bent down, “Are you okay?”

Sehun raised his head, his expression grim “Minseok.” He mumbled before passing out.

***

Luhan left the party early, deciding to return home. He had spent a few hours enjoying brandy – well, less enjoying and more brooding over his drinks. Baekhyun’s words rang in his head, Luhan picking them apart time and time again. Dismissing them as they should be, regretting he had found Baekhyun likeable at one time.

Then, with a bit of warm liquid running through him, Luhan decided it would be perfectly acceptable for him to take the short walk to Minseok’s house. They were engaged after all. It was late, very late, no one would know.

Luhan smiled, throwing his coat on he let his mind start imagining a thousand different scenarios of what he would do when Minseok let him inside the house, all of which ended in Minseok’s bedroom. D’Adderleigh had turned him into quite the ert, he realized, blushing.

***

Kyungsoo was not prepared. Not even a little. When Minseok woke him up, his voice cracking with emotion, Kyungsoo was not ready to play doctor. He hadn’t done that since back in Normandy when Minseok had managed to suffer a large gash on his arm from an accident with farming equipment.

“Are you hurt sir?!” Kyungsoo asked the most important question first, Minseok choking out a quick explanation. “It is Sehun.”

Kyungsoo was definitely not prepared to play doctor to Sehun, that little horrible no –good heartbreaker.

***

“It is merely a flesh wound.” Kyungsoo announced, his tone terse and cold.

Sehun felt his side, the place where Kyungsoo had carefully cleaned and bandaged the small wound. He was lying in Minseok’s parlor, on the couch. Minseok had brought him here, nearly carried him, supporting his weight as they traversed the quiet streets.

Sehun had asked not to be taken home, his father had no idea he was at Herringwoods and would certainly not take his son arriving home with a stab wound lightly. When Minseok realized that Sehun had fainted due to the shock of the event and not in fact collapsed from blood loss he agreed; he would bring him to Kyungsoo to be bandaged before heading home.

“Who was it?” Sehun rubbed his side, still feeling a bit lightheaded.

“I think it was the man with the scar on his face, the one at the gaming table.” Minseok responded, ignoring Kyungsoo’s shocked face at his employer’s admittance of gambling, “Do you know his name?”

“No.” Sehun thought, “I had never seen him before tonight.”

“What were you doing there Sehun?” Minseok asked again.

“Making his usual bad choices.” Kyungsoo offered under his breath, Minseok hearing his valet’s remark and hiding a smile in turn.

“I…lost some money on horse racing. I thought I might be able to win it back.” Sehun flinched as he sat up.

“Are you all right?” Minseok asked, catching himself before he placed a hand on Sehun’s arm out of concern.

“Hm. I believe I will live. Thank you Kyungsoo” Sehun knew how little the valet thought of him, so his gratitude was double edged – tinged with a bit of sarcasm at the series of events.

“The pleasure was all mine.” Kyungsoo shot Sehun a dirty look before returning to organizing the bandages and other medical equipment he kept neatly arranged in a small wooden box.

“Will you be able to get home?” Minseok asked, very much aware of how Sehun’s parents felt about their son staying out all night.

“I believe so.” Sehun sat forward, the pain seeming to lessen as he moved.

The three men jumped slightly at the sound of a knock on the front door. Kyungsoo went to answer it, Minseok hoping to god it was not who he feared it was. His fears were answered as Luhan walked into the parlor, all color draining from his face as he took note of who was currently sitting on his fiancé’s couch.

“Lord…Sehun?” Luhan looked from Sehun and then to Minseok, his face betraying how the sight affected him.

“Well, is this not a lovely evening, my lords?” Kyungsoo deadpanned from where he stood behind Luhan, very curious how his employer would diffuse the very awkward situation that they were in the midst of.

------------------------

a/n- This was a surprisingly difficult chapter to write, in that there was a lot of action that I was afraid I would not capture. I hope everything made sense. And Sehun…hmmmm.

The next chapter is . ty . I know because I wrote it a little while ago and blushed while doing so. I hope to have it edited and posted tonight (what is with me and my writing sprees – seriously this fic just makes me want to write and write some more). Thanks!- LC