Chapter 20

The Masquerade

Kibum had a certain odor about him. Minseok noticed it immediately when he sat down at the small table. He didn’t want to be rude so he ignored it. Kyungsoo, however, had much difficulty doing the same. He pinched his nose, glaring at the ruffian with a mixture of disdain and curiosity.

“I found what you asked for.” Kibum started, picking his nails with a small knife. What a quaint individual, Luhan thought, while attempting to follow Minseok’s lead and not give away his revulsion of Kibum’s body odor.

“Seems that fellow has a bit of money troubles.” Kibum continued to pick at his fingers idly “The maid of the family is rather –“ Kibum made a gesture with his hands, pushing them towards his chest he cupped them “Nice to look at. A right fair woman.”

“How…pleasant.” Kyungsoo deadpanned. Kibum eyed the small valet before continuing.

“Easy enough to get her to talk, if you know what I mean.” Kibum winked, “Seems the family had some trouble last year, didn’t even pay their people for a while.”

“Trouble?” Luhan was truly perplexed. He hadn’t heard anything about Baekhyun’s family having any sort of financial difficulties.

“Seems they are on their feet again, at least according to that nice piece of as-“Kibum paused when he caught Kyungsoo glaring at him. “She said there is a man that visits, but she ain’t know his name. Only knows what the old man calls him. Vic. Says he and the old man and the son go way back.”

“What does this Vic look like?” Minseok asked, trying to recall ever hearing the nickname before. He drew a blank.

“Don’t know. She knows her place. Says he looks like any other wealthy snotbag. Says he comes at least once a week, sits in that big old library with that old man. The son too. Seems he has some business with them.”

The remainder of what Kibum had to report consisted of his continued description of the buxom maid, the things she could probably do, and ended with Kyungsoo ready to kick him out of the house. Minseok stepped in, paying him and bidding him farewell. Once Kibum was gone Luhan and Minseok discussed the matter.

“Baekhyun’s family has money troubles, he seems a likely suspect.” Minseok remarked. The thievery was definitely born of some sort of financial motive, or at least that was the most probable of motivations behind the crimes. A wealthy family suddenly devoid of their fortune was more than a little suspicious.

“I wonder who this Vic fellow is.” Luhan could never recall Baekhyun mentioning him.

“Perhaps he is the ringleader of the thefts. If in fact Baekhyun is involved.” Minseok tried to piece everything together. Sehun was not ruled out, but Baekhyun was of greater interest now. Especially now that Minseok found he had a reason to steal.

They were deep in discussion when the door to the hovel opened, Jongin entering. He had gone out for a bit, fetching a cooking ingredient that Kyungsoo had informed him was “vital to their continued existence”.

“Sir.” Jongin approached Minseok and Luhan carefully.

“What is it?” Luhan noticed that Jongin looked a bit nervous.

“Sir, these are all around the East End.” Jongin dug in his pocket, producing a crumpled piece of paper. Luhan took the offered flier, smoothing it out, he stared at the large bold lettering.

WANTED for Murder, Theft, and Crimes against the Public. Viscount D’Adderleigh. Reward XXX pounds for his capture.

“All over the East End?” Kyungsoo asked, leaning over to look at the poster. The day before the flier had been at the edge of the area, not plastered throughout the location they were hiding in.

“I am afraid so.” Jongin sighed.

Luhan stared at the drawing, a likeness of Minseok. And then it hit him, his name was nowhere on the flier. “Jongin, Are there fliers with my likeness on them?”

“No, sir.” Jongin answered “Not that I saw.”

Luhan could guess why. He could guess, but he didn’t know for sure. He couldn’t know for sure, yet he had an inkling of what occurred. His parents would likely have done anything and everything in their power to keep his name from being connected with Minseok. But such an action had deep consequences. If they had shunned his connection with Minseok, did that mean they had shunned any possibility of his engagement? Did that mean, even if Minseok’s name was cleared – which Luhan was resolute to accomplish – that his engagement was null and void?

The thought of his engagement to Minseok being swept under the rug made him sick; cancelled from reality, ignored as though it never happened – revolted him. Yet, what else could he expect? They were fugitives. His parents had likely done everything in their power, within their substantial means, to cover up the fact Luhan was on the run. Still, it was a punch to the gut. A feeling that his future with Minseok, as uncertain as it was at the moment, was made even bleaker. It was…devastating. Luhan tried to act like it didn’t bother him, but deep down he was horribly hurt by it.

“Thank god.” Minseok breathed a sigh of relief knowing that Luhan’s likeness wasn’t plastered next to his own. His guilt over Luhan and Kyungsoo running away with him had weighed on him, continued to weigh on him and somehow this piece of news gave him a measure of relief.

“That isn’t everything.” Jongin bit his bottom lip, hating that he had to report such a thing “The papers are saying there was another theft yesterday. A murder too. Some Baroness.”

“What?!” Minseok and Luhan asked in unison, shocked.

“Which Baroness?” Minseok questioned, “What happened?”

“The papers aren’t saying her identity, but she was stabbed and her jewelry was taken.” Jongin looked sad. He had grown attached to Luhan, Minseok, and Kyungsoo and he hated being the one to break such news to them.

“God help us.” Minseok muttered. The situation had just turned from bad to worse.

***

“Whoever murdered her knew she had been found out.” Junmyeon surmised, referring to the murder or the young woman – Baekhyun’s sister. He was with Jongdae, meeting in the latter’s parlor.

“My Uncle seemed surprised.” Jongdae stared at the floor, thinking. He recalled his Uncle telling him of the murder that very morning.

“You don’t think he is involved in any way, do you?” Junmyeon questioned. After finding the body of the young woman they had promptly sent word to the authorities anonymously – before leaving. Jongdae had spent a good part of the afternoon and evening reassuring Junmyeon they had done the right thing.

“He hid things from me. Important things. I can’t help but think he knows more than he is saying. Though I doubt he is involved, not in a crime like this. No, but he knows more and that in and of itself makes me suspect he may be hiding the true culprit for whatever reason. I can’t trust him.”

“I can’t believe Minseok would do this – or your Uncle. I can’t believe either man could be so vicious.” Junmyeon would never think either man could be capable of such horrendous acts of violence. The fact remained that the case of the jewelry thief had turned into a case of a murder, with three victims so far confirmed.

“Neither can I, old boy.” Jongdae exhaled loudly.

“What do we do next?” Junmyeon was feeling very over his head with this investigation. He had thought that helping Jongdae, his dear old friend, would be more fun and less stressful and gruesome. How wrong he had been.

“We need to go see Baekhyun.” Jongdae answered firmly. He would confront that little angry man if it killed him.

***

Sehun stood in the doorway, watching as Tao went about his work. He had always appreciated how skilled Tao’s hands were – in multiple ways. Tao had started out working in the stables on the Pressley estate. As time went by, and as Sehun urged his Mother to reconsider Tao’s position, he became a personal servant to the family. Ultimately he was more of an everyman in the household, helping out with manual labor while playing the footman when they needed him to.

“I am leaving now.” Sehun spoke, knowing he would not receive a response. Tao hadn’t talked to him for the last day, not since he had all but called the other man a bully.

True to Sehun’s anticipations, Tao remained quiet. He didn’t bother to acknowledge Sehun or tell him good luck or that he would miss him. He acted like Sehun wasn’t there at all.

Sehun stood at the doorway for a few minutes more, watching. He didn’t know what else to say, so he finally left, hoping that Tao would one day understand his actions and forgive him.

***

Baekhyun’s apartment was not far from where D’Adderleigh lived, Jongdae knew the area well. He didn’t bother to bring out his calling card and present himself formally, nor did he answer when Junmyeon suggested they do so. No, he didn’t think Baekhyun – who had consistently gotten on his nerves – deserved such pleasantries.

An elderly servant answered the door. When the man asked for a calling card Jongdae knew Baekhyun was home, he unceremoniously pushed past the servant and yelled at the top of his lungs “Byun Baekhyun!”

He heard some noise coming from what he assumed was the parlor. He strode in, not waiting for an invitation. As he threw the door open he stopped, the sight stilling him.

Baekhyun was there, but he wasn’t alone. No. He was very much not alone. Heechul was there too, and to describe the scene mildly, as Jongdae thought about it later, they were very close to each other on the couch. Very close.

“Jongdae!” Heechul’s face lit up when he saw the man. He didn’t seem to think anything was odd about having Baekhyun snuggled to his side.

Jongdae - Junmyeon standing in the doorway awkwardly - strode up to Baekhyun. Staring down at the man he practically spat his words “Do you know your sister is dead?”

Baekhyun paled “My…sister?”

“Yes. Your sister. The one that was part of the thefts.” Jongdae glared, practically boring a hole into Baekhyun with his gaze “Did you kill her?”

“What?!” Baekhyun moved away from Heechul, stamping his foot in protest “No! I didn’t even know her until the other day!”

“Do you expect me to believe that?” Jongdae wanted to punch Baekhyun, maybe just let some of his anger out. Maybe just see him feel the pain that Jongdae felt at the moment. The pain of having his best friend wanted for murder, of having his Uncle blatantly lie to him.

“I swear!” Baekhyun threw his hands up in mock defense.

“I will hunt you down and make you pay if you have anything to do with that murder. Or the thefts.” Jongdae hurled his words with an intensity he rarely if ever displayed. He turned to Heechul “You as well. If you have anything to do with this I will see you hang.”

Heechul sighed “Old Boy, I have never killed anything in my life.”

“I hope for your sake that is the truth.” Jongdae was done, knowing full well Baekhyun would not be offering up any explanations. He strode out of the room, out the front door, Junmyeon trailing behind.

Jongdae in a few deep breaths as he stood on the sidewalk outside of Baekhyun’s home. He needed to clear his head. He had a feeling Baekhyun has something to do with the mayhem, he just needed proof.

“What do we do next?” Junmyeon questioned, having grown accustomed to following Jongdae’s lead. Before Jongdae could answer him Heechul emerged from the house, walking down the front steps carefully he stopped in front of Jongdae.

“Why do you think Baekhyun is involved?” Heechul asked, showing concern.

“Why don’t you figure it out for yourself?” Jongdae answered tersely. He hailed a hackney, paying Heechul no more mind.

Heechul stood, watching Jongdae and Junmyeon depart. He pondered the question. Should he figure it out? Hm. Should he?

***

Kyungsoo quickened his pace. He had braved the streets in order to fetch a newspaper. He thought it was important that Minseok know what was being said in the periodicals regarding the thefts and recent murder. He would do anything for his master, including walking on such dirty, godforsaken roads to purchase a newspaper.

The sun was setting, which seemed to queue rowdy behavior in the east end. He had to maneuver past several groups of inebriated lower class laborers, trying with all his might to avoid being noticed. He knew he didn’t have a fighting chance if anyone decided to hone in on him and antagonize him with the hopes of a random fight.

In retrospect he should have asked Jongin to go with him. Yet he didn’t want to continue the recent trend of Jongin protecting him. If they were friends now – which still made Kyungsoo blush – then shouldn’t he bear his own burden? He had left a note for Minseok, slipping out of the house before Minho and Taemin returned home.

As he neared the hovel he paused. A sight that he guessed was extremely unusual lay before him. His guess was based on the reactions of those gathered, pointing and talking loudly, a crowd gathering.

“What is a high and mighty man like that doing here?”

“In ropes no less?”

“Looks like someone is lost, rightfully so.”

“Looks like someone got caught- probably fetch a good ransom too.”

The crowd was all chatter as Kyungsoo stood on his tippy toes in an attempt to view the object of the comments. Over the crowd he could make out a man being led into a rundown building, some ruffians nearly dragging him. What gave him pause was who that man was. He recognized him. He could recognize that no good brat anywhere. It was Oh Sehun.

Kyungsoo rushed back to the house. He wasn’t sure what he had just witnessed, other than Sehun in apparent captivity being pushed into little more than a broken down excuse for a house. He didn’t have any love for the man, but he knew it likely had something to do with his master’s current circumstance.  He recognized the code of the streets, in that a crowd could see a man in ropes being taken somewhere yet remain silent on the matter. Yet he could not, especially not when it likely had some relation to the hell they were currently living in.

Throwing the door open, he was greeted with Jongin, Taemin, and Minho sitting at the table, drinking.

“Where is my master?” Kyungsoo blurted out, wanting to relay the information to Minseok immediately.

“Upstairs.” Taemin pointed towards the stairs. As Kyungsoo rushed towards the staircase Minho stood up and stopped the shorter man.

“I wouldn’t go up there if I was you.”

“Why not?” Kyungsoo asked, wondering what could be the matter with him notifying his employer of what he had witnessed.

Suddenly a loud moan escaped from the second story, all four mean inadvertently staring at the staircase.

“Because of that.” Minho answered.

There was that. Damn that. Kyungsoo would have to bide his time.

---------------------

a/n- I wonder what they are doing upstairs? Hm…yes, I will write a half chapter next. Sorry, I ran out of steam tonight. ;)

I think some things became slightly clearer in the last two chapters. There was also a double homicide! Yikes! This criminal needs to be caught!

A big shout out to ShiningRose for listening to me ramble about the plot, I needed that! Thanks again! And if you haven't read the bestest Taohun Hybrid!AU fic ever, please check it out, it was completed tonight and deserves a lot of love!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone that voted in the WHODUNIT poll! It was really interesting for me to see the results. For those who are curious, this is how the votes shook out as of today (as of the end of editing Chapter 20), in the order of most votes to least (excluding those with 0 votes- Luhan, Minseok, and Kyungsoo)-

  1. Yunho-28 votes
  2. Someone we haven’t met yet-22 votes
  3. Baekhyun-21 votes
  4. Jumyeon-12 votes
  5. Chanyeol-9 votes
  6. Heechul-8 votes
  7. Sehun- 6 votes
  8. Jongdae- 2 votes
  9. Jongin -1 vote

            Total votes = 109

Thanks as always to the subbers, upvoters, and subscribers! I would buy you all a basket full of puppies if I could! <3 LC