Chapter 27

The Masquerade

Minseok was covered in blood. In Luhan’s blood. It stained his shirt, his arms, his pants, he had some on his face as well. It didn’t matter. No, he didn’t care that he was covered in blood. The only thing that he cared about was Luhan. Luhan who was lying motionless, Luhan who was hovering in that precarious place between life and death.

Minseok sat by Luhan's bedside, holding his hand, gaining some reassurance from the feeling of Luhan’s pulse. It was weak, very weak, but it was still there. Luhan was still alive.

The doctor had given Luhan a rather grim prognosis. The bullet had torn through his abdomen, causing substantial blood loss. The doctor was able to remove the bullet, sewing up the wound, but could not give an optimistic outlook on Luhan’s long term condition.

“If he makes it through the night he might live. Or infection may set in.” The Doctor had stayed, was still there, talking to Luhan’s parents. They were at the Hayden estate, Minseok having argued about moving Luhan so far but having given in when the doctor started to work on Luhan as they made the short commute.

Minseok hadn’t left Luhan’s side since he was shot, not for a moment. He had carried Luhan out of the church himself, not willing to lose any contact with him. He prayed, prayed as he had never before prayed in his life. Please, he begged, let him live. Let him live.

***

Minseok didn’t sleep that night, he couldn’t. What if Luhan woke up? What if, god forbid, Luhan took a turn for the worse? No. He couldn’t sleep.

He wasn’t sure what time it was - the next morning perhaps -when Jongdae arrived. He barely registered the noise of the door opening, barely registered the people that had come and gone through the night.

“Minseok, how is he?” Jongdae asked quietly, nearing the bedside.

“He is alive.” Minseok didn’t recognize his own voice, it was hoarse, rough and low.

“Do you need anything?” Jongdae asked, putting a hand on Minseok’s shoulder as he looked on at Luhan.

“No.”

“I spoke to Lee Soo Man today. Your name is cleared.” Jongdae recounted softly “The perpetrators are all in prison.”

“Good.” Minseok didn’t dare think of what he would do if he saw Chanyeol again. He didn’t think he could stop himself from hitting the man.

“Yunho was not charged, he didn’t have enough evidence to definitely know Jaejoong was guilty, he only suspected it. He has been relieved of his post, however.” Jongdae explained. Jongdae had felt a great amount of disappointment towards his Uncle, a man he had always looked up to. When he found out his Uncle had suspected Jaejoong but covered up any indication or ignored any evidence that would implicate him, Jongdae lost all respect for the man. Yunho had let love blind him, let it color his ability to differentiate right and wrong.

Jongdae stayed for a few minutes, hoping his presence would give his best friend some strength. He slipped out of the room, bidding Minseok goodbye.

He shut the door softly, turning, he almost collided with Heechul. He jumped back in surprise.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.” Heechul looked at the door “How is he?”

“He is alive.” Jongdae didn’t know what else to say. Heechul had been there, he had seen the amount of blood that Luhan had lost. He had heard the doctor’s prognosis, having returned to the Hayden family mansion with the rest of them.

Heechul sighed “If I was a fighting man the things I would do to Park Chanyeol, that bastard.”

“You and me both.” Jongdae shook his head “To think of the depravity of some people.”

“It is truly sickening, isn’t it?” Heechul agreed. They stood outside the door for a few moments before Heechul, rather uncharacteristically bashful in his words blurted out “I know this is a terrible time, however I would like to ask you if I can officially court you.”

“You are right, this is a terrible time.” Jongdae started walking away, leaving Heechul to watch him go. He stopped suddenly, knowing full well he owed Heechul a lot. Perhaps one date wouldn’t hurt. “Yes, you can. Just please try not to be too forward or grab me a lot.”

“I can’t promise that.” Heechul was smiling suddenly, a broad grin.

“I figured as much.” Jongdae said over his shoulder as he walked away, not bothering to turn around and see how happy Heechul looked.

***

“Tao…” Sehun was not sure how to vocalize what he wanted to communicate. He had no idea how it would sound and he guessed Tao would laugh at him. “I…have been thinking. It was rather impressive, what Jongdae has done and what Minseok has done.”

Tao was lying in bed, next to Sehun. After returning to Sehun’s family home the night before, complete with a scolding from the Earl of Pressley regarding where they had run off to – quickly forgiven when Tao explained that Sehun was engaging in charity work and he had only accompanied him as a servant – they had snuck into Sehun’s bedroom. The morning dawned with the pair a mess of arms and legs, Tao holding his boyfriend close, both men thinking of what had occurred in front of their eyes. Of how precious life could be. Of how easily one could almost lose the one they love.

“Yes, which is another reason you should always treat Minseok with respect.” Tao muttered, pulling Sehun closer. He loved the way Sehun smelled, the way he felt when they pressed their bodies close like this.

“Yes, well. I was thinking that perhaps I could work at the Home Office too. Maybe help out here and there, bring some justice to criminals.” Sehun tensed, waiting for Tao to laugh or ridicule his idea, to tell him there was no way that the bratty Sehun, who had never done anything for anyone in his life, could suddenly change his life around. Tao didn’t laugh.

“My god Sehun, that may just be the best idea you have ever had in your life.” Tao planted a kiss on Sehun’s forehead “However you best believe that I won’t let you do it alone.”

“I figured as much.” Sehun smiled, burying his face into his boyfriends shoulder. He would have to talk to Jongdae when he had the chance, offer his services. Perhaps, just maybe, Oh Sehun could turn out to be a rather useful member of society after all.

***

Kyungsoo brought buckets of water, cloth to keep Luhan’s forehead cool, and food up to Minseok, urging him to eat. He had never seen his employer so distraught, though it was completely warranted. It was then that Kyungsoo realized how deeply Minseok cared for Luhan and how deeply Luhan cared for Minseok in return. Enough to sacrifice their lives for each other.

On one of his return trips down the stairs, carrying a full tub of water that had grown lukewarm, he almost tripped. Almost – because yet again – Jongin was there to catch him.

“Easy, easy.” Jongin took the tub of water from Kyungsoo’s arms, “You have a tendency to get yourself into trouble, you know.”

Kyungsoo nodded. He did, which was why it was a good reason that Jongin was usually there to catch him. They walked to the kitchen in silence, an easy silence any more. When once Kyungsoo had detested the other valet he now relied on him.

“The servants have all gone to church, to pray for the young master.” Jongin explained as they entered the empty kitchen, a place that was usually bustling with activity.

“I pray that he lives.” Kyungsoo stated, knowing full well Jongin was doing the same.

“It was amazing. He took a bullet for the person he loves.” Jongin emptied the tub of water, “It is amazing to see love like that.”

“Yes, it is.” Kyungsoo agreed.

“Kyungsoo, have you ever been in love?” Jongin asked, his attention still focused on emptying the tub.

“I don’t know.” Kyungsoo answered.

“You don’t know? How is that possible?” Jongin finally turned to look at Kyungsoo, curious as to what he had meant with his vague answer.

“It depends on how the other person feels.” Kyungsoo answered, never breaking eye contact with Jongin, not even remotely trying to disguise the meaning behind his words.

“I think the other person finds such an idea very agreeable.” Jongin answered, smiling widely as Kyungsoo’s face turned red.

***

The Duke apologized first. He was very succinct with his words.

“I am sorry we ever doubted you.” He told Minseok, “I would not fault you if you dislike us.”

It had been three days since Luhan had been shot. He was not showing any signs of infection and his pulse was growing stronger. Minseok held onto hope that he would regain consciousness soon. He had not left his bedside for a moment, finally changing his clothing and washing the blood off himself after Kyungsoo insisted on it – bringing him a fresh change of clothes. He had slept fitfully, a few minutes here and there, and only if someone else was in the room to wake him up if anything changed.

In that time he had spent hours in the company of the Duke, who visited his son’s bedside frequently, always with tears in his eyes. The Duchess visited too, though the site of her son, pale and unconscious, often proved too much for her and ended with her fleeing the room.

“I forgive you for doubting me.” Minseok responded, “I would have doubted me at the time if I were you.”

The Duke sighed, “Yet my son never did. He loves you so very much.”

“I love him too.” Minseok said softly, staring down at Luhan. Luhan, who would die for him. Luhan who would do anything for him. Luhan, his Luhan.

“I hope he pulls through this and when he does I can see you two married.” The Duke didn’t say anymore, or mention the topic again. Minseok didn’t bring it up either, because the future was too precarious to discuss at the moment.

***

Minseok. The first thing he saw was Minseok. Was he dreaming?

His eyes fluttered open, his vision hazy as he focused. Someone was holding his hand, someone was next to him. And then it became clearer.

“Luhan?” Minseok leaned over, scarcely believing his eyes. Luhan was awake. He was finally awake. Minseok couldn’t help but start crying.

“Minseok. Are you okay?” Luhan tried to reach out, to pull Minseok towards him, but the pain was too much. He winced, crying out as a burning pain radiated down his side.

“Don’t move! You are still recovering.” Minseok moved towards him instead, being careful to not jolt him and cause further pain.

“How long have I been asleep?” Luhan asked, starting to remember what happened. He had been at the church. Baekhyun was arrested, Chanyeol was there, shouting curses at Minseok. And then he had watched in horror as Chanyeol pulled a gun, pointing it at Minseok. He hadn’t even thought about it as he leapt forward, taking the bullet.

“A week”

“A week?” Luhan flinched as the pain returned.

“I should get the doctor. Please, stay still.” Minseok tried to move away, to open the door, to let the world know the young master was awake. Luhan stopped him, his grasp was weak, but one hand on Minseok’s arm and Minseok didn’t move.

“Please, not now. A minute, wait a minute.” Luhan pleaded. Minseok nodded, complying.

“I want to look at you, just for a minute.” Luhan smiled. A few seconds later he whispered “I love you so much.”

“I love you too.” Minseok let the tears flow freely, leaning forward he planted a chaste kiss on Luhan’s mouth. It wasn’t hurried, or passionate, or full of the desire of some of their kisses. Yet somehow it was the best kiss of his life.