Chapter 26

The Masquerade

The church was full, despite the rather hasty announcement of the wedding there was an astounding turnout. Those who wrote for the social pages were even invited, The Duchess not daring to let her only son’s marriage be overshadowed by any other event.

Titled individuals, important politicians, businessmen who had made enough money to reside on the outer spheres of high society, titled French noblemen long ago displaced from their homeland, and preening young heiresses filled the church. No one would miss it, lest they offend the Duke of Hayden with their absence.

Baekhyun was already dressed in his wedding suit. It was a handsome, very expensive outfit that had been made for him – tailors paid by Luhan’s parents to create the outfit in a few day’s time. It fit perfectly and Baekhyun grinned at how smart he looked in his outfit.

Chanyeol smiled at his friend “I dare say, you haven’t looked this happy in..well, ever.”

Chanyeol tried to bury the feelings that coursed through him. He had held onto a notion, a dream, that perhaps one day he would marry Baekhyun. Yet, it was not to be. He realized that Baekhyun’s marriage to Luhan was a much better deal, and that it had to happen. Who was he to say anything now? No, Chanyeol would take his infatuation to the grave, standing always beside his best friend until the end of their days.

“Wedded bliss, my friend, wedded bliss.” Baekhyun answered, feeling the kind of satisfaction that can only occur when one’s dreams come true.

***

Minseok had scarcely believed it, but he had to. Heechul after everything, had damn near solved the case for them. Minseok tried to ignore the fact that his reason for doing so was because he wanted to kiss, date and do god knows what else to Jongdae because quite honestly the reason didn’t matter. What mattered is he knew now. Byun Baekhyun was guilty and he could prove it.

“Yes, well, seems your noble idiot of a lover decided marriage was the only route. Until I filled him in on the details of the crime, of course.” Heechul had explained that the wedding was to take place with great haste, they would need to rush back to the city to stop it.

Luhan knew the truth, which meant he would likely not go through with the marriage. Not unless Baekhyun threatened him with something, and Minseok was desperately afraid of that. The man was a murderer after all, there was likely nothing he wouldn’t do to get what he wanted.

Minseok had the code sheet tucked into his pocket. Heechul had snagged it from Baekhyun’s house, a rather clever theft considering they were up against skilled thieves. Heechul had found it when Baekhyun was distracted, not knowing its significance right away. It was the proof he needed to connect Baekhyun to the thefts. It was the same code sheet that Heechul had also snagged from the pocket book he stole from Jaejoong at the club, a slight of hand and a very lucky find indeed. It was enough to tie Jaejoong to the crime, a code sheet he had given to Luhan, telling him to use it to prove the details of the crime, the cipher enabling the Home Office to fully decode the receipts, pointing out the guilty parties. It was the code that the jeweler’s receipts were written in, the receipts that were used to funnel the stolen jewels to Baekhyun’s half-sister.

Minseok did not doubt that any of the remaining stolen jewelry would be found at Baekhyun’s residence, likely Chanyeol’s as well. He just needed to get to the city in time, before Baekhyun ran away, before Baekhyun knew that he was found out.

He was sure Luhan hadn’t cancelled the wedding, not if he was thinking the same thing that Minseok was. Baekhyun would be suspicious if it was cancelled, would likely flee. No, now the only thing to do was get to the church before anything legally binding occurred, because Minseok was now more determined than ever that he would marry Luhan. And damn if that sniveling crook Baekhyun would do it first.

***

Luhan peeked into the church, he noticed Soo Man in the crowd. Thankfully Yunho was nowhere to be seen. Soo Man had told him that they would confront Jaejoong and Yunho at their respective residences during the time the wedding was taking place, catching them by surprise. Baekhyun and Chanyeol, along with Baekhyun’s Father, would be arrested at the church for all the world to see.

Several Home Office Agents were in attendance, discreetly mixed into the crowd, in case Baekhyun tried to flee. Luhan had suspected that his Mother would question the strange guests so he had made up a rather lame excuse of inviting some of the men from his club, people she would likely not know. She had frowned for a moment before rushing off to attend to the latest little detail.

Luhan fiddled with his sleeves. He sighed. A week ago he had thought he would find himself in a church with Minseok, not with Baekhyun. He still regretted agreeing to the marriage with Baekhyun, even if it wouldn’t happen - however at the time he thought it was his only option….

Baekhyun spoke slowly “You will do anything for D’Adderleigh’s freedom, I see. What if I could clear his name?”

“How?” Luhan asked, knowing that Baekhyun’s words were as good as a confession.

“I know the thief. If you marry me I will gladly turn them over to the authorities and clear D’Adderleigh’s name. After the wedding of course.”

Luhan stared at Baekhyun, trying with all his might to understand how he had once considered marrying the man. It sickened him, the thought of it. Yet here he was, facing a choice. Marry Baekhyun to free Minseok or see Minseok in prison. It was, unfortunately, a rather easy choice.

“I will marry you, but you best keep your word.” Luhan narrowed his eyes “And not for a moment convince yourself I love you. I don’t and I never will.”

Baekhyun had shrugged his shoulders “That, Easton, is a rather small problem all things considered. I just want a wedding, I am not asking for love.”

If it wasn’t for Heechul he would be wholly dependent on Baekhyun keeping his word. Now, thanks to Heechul, Soo Man had enough evidence to arrest Baekhyun and the others and end this madness. Luhan would have to remember to tell Heechul he could punch him anytime he felt like it, because he truly was his savior. A great friend indeed.

***

The carriage rolled into the city, slowing immediately as it hit the hustle and bustle of the crowded streets.

“What time is it?” Minseok asked. He didn’t have his pocket watch, he had left it at the cottage as he tried to disguise himself in servant’s attire, borrowing Kyungsoo’s outfit.

Jongdae pulled out his pocket watch “A quarter past one o’clock.” He snapped the watch shut, “Please hurry!” He shouted out the window, hoping the driver could hear him.

Heechul had informed them that the wedding would start at two o’clock sharp at XXX church in one of the more exclusive neighborhoods. Reaching the place quickly would be difficult given the rough roads and neighborhoods the carriage would need to traverse in order arrive at the destination.

“This is going to be the wedding of the century.” Heechul rubbed his hands together in anticipation, he loved a good dramatic wedding.

“You don’t mind if we get off before the church?” Sehun had kept suggesting as much, not caring to be a part of the intrigue any longer.

“Sehun, I will hit you if you keep talking.” Tao shook his head in disappointment, shutting Sehun up.

As the carriage lurched forward, picking up speed, the driver seemingly having heard Jongdae’s orders, Minseok stared out the window, taking in the passing sights. The adrenaline coursed through him. He would see Luhan soon and this horrible nightmare would all be over.

***

“You look very handsome, son.” The Duchess finished fixing Luhan’s suit jacket, beaming at her son. “I dare say you have made an excellent choice. Baekhyun is very fine looking in his suit.”

Luhan didn’t like not being able to tell his Mother the truth, because the more she cooed over his wedding to Baekhyun the worse her regret would be once she discovered Baekhyun was a murdering thief. Yet it couldn’t be helped.

The wedding march sounded lightly from the church, signaling that it was time for Luhan to take his place near the altar. His Mother patted his cheeks, a tear in her eye “God bless you son, please make us proud.”

Luhan smiled and nodded, not daring to say anything least he betrayed the reality of the situation.

***

Baekhyun found the Duke to be a rather laborious walker – in that it took him forever to walk down the aisle. Normally Baekhyun would have been annoyed at having to slow his pace, but this time he could accept it. The longer it took him to reach Luhan, standing at the end of the aisle, the more time he had to bask in smiles – and, he noticed glares – of the wedding guests. It was the time for Baekhyun to show to the world that he was in fact now a part of the Hayden family, with their long and proud lineage. It was time for him to stare at those who had talked down to him for his lack of a formal title, or those who had gossiped when Luhan had become engaged to D’Adderleigh instead of him.

It was the best moment of Baekhyun’s life.

When they arrived at the altar, The Duke carefully placed Baekhyun’s hand into Luhan’s grasp, smiling.

“Please live a happy life together.” The Duke said, smiling brightly before he took his seat next to the Duchess in the front row.

Luhan tried to remain calm and composed, knowing full well what was about to happen. Any moment now the trap would be sprung. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed the agents signaling to each other. He turned his attention back to Baekhyun, trying to play the part of the attentive groom.

And then the doors of the church were thrown open, a loud noise that echoed through the large church. All eyes were wrenched from the couple at the altar to the noise at the back of the church, everyone straining to see who had dared interrupt the wedding of one of the country’s most elite families. As recognition dawned on the crowd, murmurs and gasps were heard all around.

“Stop this wedding!” Minseok bellowed at the top of his lungs, attempting to stride down the aisle. Heechul was behind him, as was Jongdae, Junmyeon, Kyungsoo, Jongin, Tao, and Sehun. Luhan let Baekhyun’s hand go, forgetting that he was supposed to be pretending, forgetting everything as he took in the sight.

Minseok. His Minseok. The only man he wanted to marry, the only man he would or could ever love had arrived. Nothing else really mattered.

“It is the thief!” Several guests gasped, pointing and moving as far away from the aisle as possible, as though Minseok would hurt them.  As panic ensued Soo Man and the Home Office agents sprang into action.

Minseok was shocked to see two men approach the altar, grabbing Byun Baekhyun. Baekhyun started to struggle, shouting at the top of his lungs “What are you doing?! He is over there! The thief is over there!”

Minseok watched as an older gentleman, one he did not recognize, started to walk up the aisle towards him.

“Good to see you are still well, D’Adderleigh. Home office. We can take it from here.” Soo Man patted Minseok on the back before turning to face the guests.

“Please remain calm. Please stay seated. I am Lee Soo Man, Deputy Director of the Home Office. I apologize for startling you, however there are criminals in you midst. Byun Baekhyun, Park Chanyeol, Baron Overton, you are under arrest for the crimes of murder, theft, and assault.”

The guests were unable to heed Soo Man’s advice, panicking at the announcement. Instead of trying to distance themselves from Minseok they were now attempting to move as far away from the aforementioned criminals as possible.

Minseok watched as Baekhyun’s father was apprehended, struggling much as his son had done.

Baekhyun was kicking and struggling to free himself, shouting “No! It is not me! It is D’Adderleigh!”

Luhan watched as Baekhyun was dragged from the altar, feeling like the world had just been lifted from his shoulders. He dared a glance at his parents, who both stood motionless, too shocked to speak. And then he turned back towards Minseok, who was smiling. He was actually smiling. It was all that Luhan needed, the only thing he needed to see. Stepping down from the altar he moved past the agents and Baekhyun, intending to pull Minseok into an embrace that he would never escape from. Unfortunately that never happened. Instead, Chanyeol made a move.

“You sniveling, disgusting creature!” Chanyeol managed to wrench free from the agent’s grasp. He pushed his way through the crowed, the agents hot on his heels, as he continued to curse, all of his anger and spite directed towards Minseok. “You think you are better than us? Do you think that we can’t do anything to you? Do you think-“

Later, Minseok could swear everything happened in slow motion. He watched in shock as Chanyeol drew a pistol from his suit coat, cocking it, a glint of hatred in his eyes. He pointed it straight at Minseok, pulling the trigger. Minseok braced himself, ready for the bullet to hit, ready for the bullet to tear into him, knowing he wouldn’t be able to avoid it.

And then that blur of movement. He was pushed back, someone leaping in front of him. Time started again, the screams echoing through the church as the agents tackled Chanyeol, subduing him.

Minseok grasped at his body, feeling all over, realizing he hadn’t been hit. And then he noticed. Someone had jumped in front of him, pushing him out of the path of the bullet. Someone else had been shot. Luhan. It was Luhan, lying on the ground, the blood starting to pool around him.

“No!” Minseok screamed at the top of his lungs, crouching down, pulling Luhan close as the pool of blood grew with every passing second.