Chapter 24

The Masquerade

Luhan. It was Luhan who was next to him, smiling.

“You won’t believe what I found.” Luhan teased, Minseok rolled his eyes.

“What did you find?”

“You thought I had lost it.” Luhan held the ring up, admiring it. “I didn’t lose it. See.”

A wedding band. A simple silver band that they had exchanged long ago. They were old now, having spent a happy lifetime together. And Luhan still lost things, all the time. Minseok was going to scold him but decided it was best to appreciate the sight of Luhan, happy he had found the missing ring after several days. It was a beautiful sight.

Minseok woke with a start. It had been a dream. It had only been a dream. Dragging his hand through his hair he sat up. The cottage was pitch dark, the other men likely sleeping. They had arrived at the estate earlier that night, managing to ditch the carriage along the road and walk the last mile.

The cottage was very secluded, built amidst the densest of woods on the estate. Minseok used to play around here as a child, he hadn’t seen it in years however. He was thankful that the cottage was still in relatively good condition. There was just enough room for the seven of them to take refuge in the place.

Minseok maneuvered out of bed, being careful to not step on Kyungsoo or Jongin, who were asleep on the floor near his bed. He felt along the wall with his hand, making his way out of the small bedroom, into the living area, to the front door. He unlatched the lock and stepped out, closing the door quietly behind him.

The air was cleaner here, fresh, a welcome difference from what it was like in the city. It made him miss his time in Normandy, his time with his Uncle. It made him miss his childhood, when the entire estate was his playground. He missed when he would ride to inspect the tenant farmer’s lands with his Dad, when he would play hide and seek in the woods with Jongdae and Sehun. When he would take naps by the small pond that called the property home. There was so much to miss.

Yet what he missed the most at the moment was Luhan. What was he doing? Had he confronted Baekhyun as he had said he would? Jongdae had been surprised to learn he had returned, apparently the word had not gotten out that the Duke of Hayden’s son had reappeared after a few days long absence.

Luhan, who had come into his life by total accident. Luhan, who had kissed him senseless at a masquerade party only because he thought Minseok was Baekhyun. Luhan, who had not been one of the foolish high society men that Minseok so detested and had originally taken him for. Luhan, who had taught Minseok that it was okay to trust people sometimes, that not everyone was out to get him. Luhan, how he wished he could see him, be next to him, hold him.

Luhan, who may very well be busy talking to the real criminal.

Minseok felt more strongly now, more than he had before, that Baekhyun was likely guilty of the crimes. He was likely guilty and he was likely helped by Park Chanyeol. A tall man, the maid had said. Chanyeol would fit that description. Yet there were still missing pieces. Who was Vic? And why was Yunho hiding things?

An owl hooted in the distance. Minseok wondered if he should try to contact his estate manager the next day but he thought against it. If he did so the agents would probably learn of it and arrest him. He was no longer in the city, no longer anywhere near the crimes, and he couldn’t even move freely here. How would he ever find the criminal this way?

Minseok remained outside for a few minutes, thinking. Finally he went back in the cottage, no more certain of what his next move should be than when he had woken up.

***

“If I didn’t love you I would have no problem punching you in the face, because you deserve it!” Tao glared at Sehun, who was presently forming his best pout in an attempt to quell his boyfriend’s anger.

“How can you say that?” Sehun whined.

“How can you act as bait for Minseok?!” Tao was fuming. It had been a very tense morning. Tao had remained quiet as they reached the cottage, and hadn’t said a lot to Sehun since. Yet after breakfast he had enough, dragging Sehun from the cottage and laying into him. “Minseok is the one that let us be together, you dolt!”

“I am not a dolt!” Sehun stamped his foot down.

Kyungsoo and Jongin watched from the doorway of the cottage. “I really like Tao.” Kyungsoo smiled as Sehun continued being lectured.

“How are you ever going to make this up to him? How?!” Tao demanded, “Because if you do not do something, Sehun, I will never speak to you again!”

“What can I do?! We are stuck out here, I don’t see how I can fix everything!” Sehun grumbled.

“Then apologize to Minseok and beg for forgiveness on your knees and do so every day until I no longer want to slap you!” Tao shouted.

“Please, please, lower your voices!” Jongdae pushed past Kyungsoo and Jongin, holding his hands up he stood in between Tao and Sehun “We are supposed to be hiding, lest you have forgotten.”

“I am not the one yelling.” Sehun crossed his arms, turning away from Tao.

“I am not the one being a consummate moron.” Tao crossed his arms and did the same.

“You are both morons and if you alert anyone to your presence I will not hesitate to shoot you both.” Jongdae glared at Sehun and Tao. They were certainly not helping matters.

***

“You are looking at the future husband of the Earl of Easton.” Baekhyun hummed, sitting down in the leather chair. He had no problem going to the club that morning, no problem at all. He had some bragging to do.

Chanyeol stared at his friend, “You must be jesting. What did you do?” Chanyeol was suddenly very afraid.

“I made a compromise that Easton was more than happy to agree to.” Baekhyun smirked “Best have your valet pick out a fine suit, Chanyeol, because I am going to be married before the week is out.”

Chanyeol desperately wanted to reach forward and slap Baekhyun, because he guessed any sort of compromise was of the foolish, likely dangerous sort.  Probably of the sort that would have the both of them in all sorts of trouble. “I desperately hope you didn’t say all the wrong things, Baekhyun.”

“Clearly not, my good friend. Otherwise I wouldn’t be engaged, now would I?” Baekhyun puffed his chest out, feeling like he had won the most exclusive lottery in the history of human kind “Can you imagine the yearly allowance I have to work with now?”

Chanyeol wasn’t sure he wanted to imagine.

***

Heechul spotted the man as soon as he entered the room. He was reclining at the far end of the large smoking room, idly chatting with another man. Another man who very clearly was Byun Baekhyun’s father, the Baron of Overton. Of all of the times for Heechul to go searching for the owner of Herringwoods, apparently he had picked the right time indeed.

Approaching the man he bowed deeply “Lord Overton, what a pleasure to see you today.”

Mr. Byun, the Baron Overton laughed, “Ah, Heechul, my boy. I haven’t seen you in ages.”

“Yes, it has been quite some time.” Heechul didn’t want to point out that they had seen each other at parties and soirees in the last week, deciding he cared little if Overton could not remember him. Though it was surprising to a degree that someone wouldn’t remember him. He was Kim Heechul for crying out loud.

“This is Kim Heechul. Heechul, I would like you to meet a dear old friend of my family’s, Kim Jaejoong.” Baron Overton smiled as he made the introductions.

“A pleasure to meet you.” Heechul bowed again “I am overjoyed to finally make your acquaintance. A friend told me that you operate one of the finest examples of a gaming club in the city, which I must admit, is one of my guilty pleasures.”

Jaejoong didn’t show any emotion one way or another as Heechul spoke, his face like a mask, not betraying if it upset him for Heechul to mention Herringwoods while they were seated in an exclusive gentlemen’s club or not. “If you are such an enthusiastic gambler, I suggest you stop in for a game.”

“I shall do just that, sir.” Heechul bowed again, then took a seat next to Jaejoong. “I do hope you do not mind me interrupting, I have just wanted to meet you for so long.”

“Not at all, no need to be sorry, old boy!” Baron Overton answered for the both of them. “We were just discussing the big news.”

“Big news?” Heechul asked, uncertain what Baron Overton was referring to.

“Yes. I suppose you haven’t seen the papers today. A rather hasty printing, I dare say, but my son’s marriage banns have been announced, with special license of course. He is to be married to the Earl of Easton before the week is out.”

Heechul caught himself before he said anything stupid, muttering some words of congratulations instead. So Baekhyun and Luhan were now engaged? Damn.

“I believe a congratulations is in order.” A voice sounded from behind where they were sitting. Heechul turned, not believing his luck when Yunho strode up.

“Sir, I don’t usually see you here!” Baron Overton, feeding off his happiness at his son’s engagement, was all smiles as he watched Yunho approach.

“Yes, true. I came to have a word with Jaejoong.” Yunho looked over to the man, Heechul noticing that Jaejoong betrayed a hint of a smile at Yunho’s words. Interesting, very interesting.

***

Luhan punched the wall. The plaster cracked, showering down in small chunks onto the floor. He thought back to earlier that morning, when Yunho had paid him a visit, questioning him on Minseok, threatening him, and then congratulating him on his upcoming marriage with a smile. It hit home once again how horrible Luhan had made things. He hit the wall again, watching as the crack in the plaster grew.

“Is the young master upset?”

Luhan turned to see Lisbeth, his once upon a time nanny, entering the room. He should have known she would appear. She often did when he took refuge in the room where she had once schooled him and watched him grow. A room that Luhan still felt some comfort in. A room that he was currently punching holes in the walls of – a bit of a complicated set of feelings, Luhan realized.

“Sorry.” Luhan apologized to the woman before she could even scold him for creating a rather unsightly hole in the wall.

Lisbeth smiled, that comforting smile that Luhan used to yearn for. When he was sent away to school he had missed that smile the most. Not his Mother’s smile, because he rarely saw her – only for an hour or so in the evening. It was Lisbeth’s smile he yearned for, the woman who raised him and saw him through his childhood “You shan’t need to be sorry, my lord. I dare say you have had rather a lot happening of late.”

Luhan didn’t bother asking what Lisbeth knew and what she didn’t know. It didn’t really matter at this point. “I feel as though I am a failure, I have messed everything up.”

“Now that is not true! Not at all, my lord!” Lisbeth knew just how to act to set Luhan’s mind at ease. She approached him and patted his back, just as she had done when he was a rambunctious toddler who had fallen down when running through the halls at full speed. “You are a good man, and you do good things. It may be hard to think that way at times, but I know, my lord.”

“Do you really believe that, Lisbeth?” Luhan asked, knowing full well she did. She was one of the only people that truly believed in him.

“Yes, I do. And you should too, because tis the truth.”

“What if…what if I hurt someone I love?” Luhan had to hold back tears as he thought of Minseok. How Minseok would react when Luhan was married to Baekhyun. He had all but betrayed him, albeit with the ultimate intent to keep him out of prison and clear his name.

“Now, tell Lisbeth why you think you hurt the person you love?”

“I am going to break his heart.” Luhan couldn’t keep the tears back now, not with the woman who raised him so near, ready to hug him as he wept “I did it because I love him.”

Lisbeth, sure enough, pulled Luhan into a hug, letting him cry it out on her shoulders, reminding him again and again “You are a good man. I am sure he will understand you only did what you had to, my lord.”

***

Sehun was on his knees, hands clasp in front of him, head bowed. He repeated his words for the umpteenth time “I am no better than cow dung and I don’t deserve your mercy and what I did was wrong.”

Minseok cocked his head to the side, continuing to observe Sehun’s pleas without answering him. Minseok would be lying if he said he didn’t find the apology at least a tad bit amusing. Of course he knew Sehun was driven to his marathon apologizing due to Tao’s wrath, yet something inside Minseok felt a bit vindicated to hear Sehun finally say it and in such dramatic form.

“I am so, so, terribly sorry Minseok. Truly.” Sehun pleaded.

Minseok finally put him out of his misery “Stand up, please. I forgive you.”

Sehun leapt to his feet quickly, reaching out to hug Minseok he was stopped by Tao. “I don’t think he said you could hug him, he just said he accepted your apology.” Tao held Sehun back.

Tao had to admit he had harbored jealous feelings towards Minseok for years. It had been a torturous length of time – between when Tao and Sehun fell in love and the moment when Sehun’s engagement to Minseok was broken. In that time Tao had felt pangs of jealousy over the legitimate status of Sehun and Minseok’s future marriage, it had taken him a long time to get over it. But he was indeed over it, and no longer felt that Minseok was any sort of threat. No, the only threat was Sehun’s stupidity.

“I forgive you, but I want you to promise me you will start acting in a more responsible manner. No more gambling and no more trying to lure people into traps.” Minseok wagged a finger at Sehun, who nodded furiously.

Minseok sighed as he watched Tao drag Sehun away, back into the house. Minseok had not fully expected to be waylaid by such vigorous pleading on Sehun’s part, he was, after all, busy thinking of what to do next. They could do nothing while they hid out at the cottage and he needed to do something quickly. He didn’t know what Luhan was up to or if he was safe. And to find out he would need to return to the city.

He found Jongdae in the cottage, “We should return to the city. Soon.”

Jongdae didn’t protest the decision. “I would argue, however I do not think there is any time in which our return will be safe, so I dare say one day is as good as the next.”

It was decided then. They would leave for the city that night.

***

Luhan had dried his tears and returned to his own apartment, finding some comfort in Lisbeth’s words. As he opened the door to his sitting room he jumped back in alarm. Heechul was sitting on his couch, looking very relaxed as he sipped a brandy, perusing a newspaper.

“Who let you in?!” Luhan remarked, “And why?”

Heechul carefully folded the newspaper, setting it down on the side table. “Well, I see that your greetings have not improved since I last saw you.”

Luhan eyed Heechul with suspicion as he took a seat in one of the side chairs.

“I am very disappointed in you, Luhan.” Heechul took a sip of his brandy, savoring the taste.

“Wh-why?” Luhan stuttered.

“You seem to go through engagements like I go through men. My, my, to think your name is in the papers declaring a marriage in a few days’ time.”

So Heechul had found out – Luhan knew he would. Once the marriage banns were announced the entire city would learn of it. Or at least those of social importance, those who read such announcements.

“After hearing of the announcement I asked myself, how could my dear, idiotic friend do such a thing? Cast off one man for another and then return to the first. How could he behave in such a shockingly scandalous manner?” Heechul leaned forward, brandy glass in hand “And then it occurred to me. My dear friend has never been a very intelligent fellow. In fact, I am surprised you haven’t announced your marriage to at least half of the city by now.”

And with that Luhan found his face wet. A flash of motion as Heechul threw the contents of his glass in Luhan’s face. Before Luhan could protest or even wipe the brandy form his face he felt Heechul’s fist collide with his cheek. He fell back in his chair, his hand immediately flying to where he had been hit.

“Ow! Why did you do that?!” Luhan was sure there would be a bruise.

“You deserve it, you moron. I cannot believe for the life of me why I ever thought you could handle your life on your own.” Heechul rubbed his hand, feeling a small amount of pain from having punched Luhan.

Luhan cried for the second time that day, his tears mixing with the brandy that was still dripping down his face. Heechul was right. He deserved it. He deserved worse for hurting Minseok.

“For Christ’s sake!” Heechul groaned “You are going to sit here and cry, aren’t you?”

“What else am I supposed to do?” Luhan sobbed “I made a mess of everything.”

“You, old boy, need to realize that you would be nothing without the likes of Kim Heechul.” Heechul pulled a packet of papers from his coat, tossing them towards Luhan. “I think you should understand what to do after reading this.”

Luhan looked at the papers, curious, trying to make out what they were through his tears. As he picked them up and began to read his head shot up. “You..you know who did it? Is this the code?”

“Yes, I do. So do something about it or I am afraid I will have to punch you again, and we both know I am far too delicate to be fighting with anyone.”

***

Heechul had paid a decent sum for one of the best overnight coaches out of the city. He wasn’t about to take one of the more economical options, which would have him locked in a small space with all sorts of people he did not want to be in close contact with.

If he was correct in his assumptions, he would be stuck in the carriage over twelve hours. At least money bought him comfort, the carriage only had a few other people riding in it and they remained quiet and unobtrusive.

Now, he just had to suffer through the journey and then he would get his reward. Because Kim Jongdae would certainly smile at him once Heechul shared what he had discovered. A worthy pursuit, indeed.