Chapter 12

The Masquerade

The calling card had a drop of blood on it, a red stain which luckily did not cover the writing on the cream colored paper. 

“I picked it up outside Herringwoods.” Minseok deposited the card on Yunho’s desk, Jongdae and Junmyeon leaning over to examine the paper “I believe the man who attacked me dropped it in the scuffle.”

Yunho picked the card up, carefully reading it and turning it over before handing it to Jongdae for further inspection. “I dare say this corresponds to my own recent findings.”

“And pray tell what these findings consist of.” Jongdae handed the card off to Junmyeon. The four men were gathered in Yunho’s office. It was the day after Minseok had attended the exclusive game at Herringwoods, a day after he and Sehun had been attacked by the strange man.

As soon as Luhan had left that morning Minseok had contacted Jongdae to appraise him of the situation, including the single tangible clue he had extracted from the scene of the attack.

“We found a receipt from the jewelers- that poor sop who took his own life - marked in some sort of special code. One of our best men discovered the anomaly, realizing there were several such receipts written in a manner very different from the others.” Yunho pulled one of the yellowed papers from a stack of receipts on his desk. Passing it over to Minseok he explained “The address for all such receipts points to an apartment that is…how do I say this – in an area well known for housing kept women.”

“How does the apartment relate to Mademoiselle Beauchamp?” Minseok questioned. The calling card he had picked up outside of Herringwoods bore the unmistakable name of Mademoiselle Beauchamp, the same woman who had hosted the soiree where his engagement to Luhan was so shockingly announced.

“It appears that the Mademoiselle owns the property listed on the receipts.” Yunho explained, “Though who resides in the apartment is a mystery – which is where you boys come in.”

“You want us to visit the home of a kept woman?!” Junmyeon asked, his voice sounding a bit higher in tone as he clearly protested the order. How could he visit such a scandalous place?

“Unless your dear friend here-“ Yunho motioned towards Minseok “Would like to go.”

Minseok should be used to drawing the “investigate what no other upright and respectable man can be seen visiting” card. Yet he wasn’t. Because honestly his reputation was now intertwined with Luhan’s.

“I will visit Mademoiselle Beauchamp’s house.” Jongdae affirmed, taking the easy route “Perhaps she can shed some light on why her calling card was found at the scene of a stabbing.”

“I…” Junmyeon practically choked at the thought that he would visit the mysterious potential mistress’s apartment, Minseok not yet confirming he would do so instead of Junmyeon.

“I will investigate the apartment.” Minseok announced, patting Junmyeon on the back. He would take a chance in place of his friend.

“Thank you old boy.” Junmyeon muttered, looking a tad bit sheepish at Minseok accepting the assignment over him.

“Then it is a plan. Go find this dastardly criminal boys.” Yunho smiled briefly at the three younger men, wishing them success in their investigation.

***

“Your fiancée has accepted this evening’s invitation.” The Duchess mentioned rather casually, feigning boredom as she commented on the upcoming dinner.

“Has he?” Luhan smiled. Of course Minseok had accepted the invitation, even on such short notice. Luhan had guessed his parents would put something together soon – throwing a formal dinner with little to no warning if time would permit. It would be a test, the first time Minseok would enter the Hayden household as a potential future member of the family.

“Dear, have you considered a date for the ceremony? We need to be prepared to announce the marriage banns.” The Duchess took a sip of tea, placing her tea cup down on the small table. Luhan had arrived at his parent’s house for breakfast, taking tea with his Mother after the meal was finished.

“I am not sure. I need to discuss it with D’add-Minseok.” Luhan grinned at the fact he could call D’Adderleigh by his first name. Then he blushed at the memory of how that name had rolled off his tongue the night prior – in the most sinful of ways.

“Yes. Perhaps we should discuss the matter after dinner.” The Duchess pretended she didn’t notice how positively lovesick her only child looked. She pretended no such thing came to her notice, hiding a small smile behind her tea cup as she took another sip. Love was a marvelous thing.

***

Minseok arrived at the apartment a little after four in the afternoon. He checked the address, written on the crumpled piece of paper, a few times before he stopped in front of the house. He had tried to identify the best greeting, knowing very well there wasn’t one. There was no elegant way to knock on the door of a kept woman and ask them if they had anything do with a rash of thefts.

No – there was no elegant or proper method to make the resident of the apartment’s acquaintance, therefore Minseok decided to wait and watch. He walked across the road, taking a seat near a wide window at a teahouse, ready to observe the comings and goings of the house.

Carriages rattled by, pedestrians strolled up and down the walk in front of the apartment. Minseok finished his tea, yawning as he continued to keep an eye on the apartment across the way. It was a white stone building, fairly new in the area. The building had several apartments that were rumored to be quite fashionable for those women who depended on sustenance from a man that they were not married to. Some were former actresses, others serving girls, some noble women fallen from their status due to a family catastrophe – most of them owing all of their support to a rich sponsor.

Minseok thought that a life such as that must be…well, frankly terrifying. Many in the higher social class considered such women little more than high end es. Many of the kept women had long ago burnt bridges with the place they came from, existing in a strange purgatory between high society and the lower classes. They were dependent on the whims of men that often took women – who could very easily leave them to be evicted and starve in the gutter if they set their sights on a new woman. The most successful of such women were versed in understanding how to retain a sponsor and a backup -never failing to pay for their high end lifestyle while obtaining a sort of insurance if their original line of funds dried up.

Those who had foolishly fallen in love with their sponsors were often seen on the East End, broke, a horrible life ahead of them. It was a brutal existence, though not entirely without blame on both sides. A life that was born of both the high end and low end of society – those who wanted more and those that took advantage of those who couldn’t fall any lower. Despicable.

Minseok had always been proud that his Father had no hint of ever keeping such a woman, as many men of his class did. His Father had loved his Mother, proclaiming such even years after her death. She had died in childbirth, the moment Minseok came into this world was the moment his Mother was taken from it. Yet his Father never forgot her, his beloved.

Drumming his fingers on the table in front of him, Minseok drifted between memories and observing the apartment across the road. He braced himself when he noticed a man stop in front of the apartment. Straining his eyes he watched as the man carefully approached the door. He noticed the gait, the posture –

Walking outside, thankfully before the man entered the house, Minseok was able to obtain a clearer look at him. He froze, swallowing. It was a man he knew well. It was Sehun’s Father.

***

Jongdae had attempted to look fashionable. He was well aware of the fact that the afternoon salon of Mademoiselle Beauchamp was a seen and be seen sort of place – and a location dripping with intellectuals, misfits, and dandies. Jongdae wished he had invited Junmyeon along. Visiting Mademoiselle Beauchamp’s was not nearly as scandalous as paying a call to a kept woman’s apartment – Junmyeon would likely have been in the clear to attend such a place. Yet Jongdae went alone, Junmyeon off the hook completely.

Jongdae handed his calling card to the butler, nervous but attempting with all his might to disguise his anxiety. When he was ushered into the salon he felt a new wave of nerves. Mademoiselle Beauchamp seemed to be in the midst of hosting a plethora of famous authors. Jongdae’s eyes darted around the room furiously, hoping he recognized one person – anyone so he felt a little less like a usurper. He did, Heechul was there. When they locked eyes Heechul stood, a devilish glint passing across his brown eyes as he beckoned Jongdae to sit next to him.

“If it isn’t Lord Ellsworth.” Heechul watched as Jongdae awkwardly crossed the room, the bevy of literati gathered paying him no mind. He sat down on the scarlet colored sofa, looking more than a little relieved that Heechul was present.

“A very academic gathering.” Jongdae whispered, Heechul smiling broadly before breaking into a laugh.

“Are you intimidated?” Heechul asked, seriously curious if the younger man found such an audience over his head.

“No.” Jongdae replied firmly “I was only a little worried they may be offended by my non-prose spouting presence.”

“Ruining their stories, perhaps?” Heechul leaned a little closer to Jongdae, nearly whispering his words. Jongdae gulped.

“What brings you here?” Jongdae tried to remain composed in the face of Heechul scooting over, lessening the gap between them.

“I tend to grow bored in the afternoons, especially when my friends are too busy making silly engagements or being….exceedingly unexciting in general.” Heechul nodded towards the Mademoiselle “Yet, as much as I regret the thought, I would guess you didn’t come here to speak to me.”

“Yes. Sorry, I do have something I need to speak to the Mademoiselle in regards to.”

“You wound me, sir.” Heechul clutched at his chest, leaning back ever so in mock pain “Which means you owe me a conversation later.”

“Deal. After I knock Easton off of his feet.” Jongdae hadn’t forget Heechul’s promise and he was still very much wanting to see his fist meet Luhan’s face.

“You best me!” Heechul chuckled “Once you punch the pretty boy in the face we can sit down for a long talk.” He winked at Jongdae, the younger man squirming a bit in his seat at the blatant flirtation directed his way. “Mademoiselle, this fine young man would like a word with you.” Heechul drew her attention away from a poet, spouting his interpretation of a rose bush.

“Good day my lord.” The mademoiselle seemed to only notice Jongdae’s presence at that moment, waving her fan and smiling in greeting. Jongdae felt in his pocket, trying to assure that the calling card – stained with Sehun’s blood – was still tucked carefully in his suitcoat. It would be an interesting conversation.

***

Minseok tried to reason out Sehun’s father’s visit to the apartment – his reasoning failed miserably. The Earl of Pressley was not a man who was…unknown to have a mistress. It wasn’t out of turn for him to be visiting a kept woman. Yet one that was tied to the thefts, in a way that was yet to be determined – coupled with Sehun’s appearance at Herringwoods caused Minseok to feel acutely uncomfortable.

He had sent word by courier to Jongdae and Yunho regarding what he had witnessed at the apartment. He wished he had time to discuss the matter with them in person, however for now he was engaged. He was busy smoothing down his hair, Kyungsoo practically beaming at him in the mirror.

“Sir, You shall make them all grateful that you will be joining the family.” Kyungsoo had styled Minseok with extra care that evening, understanding that his employer needed to make a great impression.

“I would almost think you approve of the match.” Minseok teased, appreciative of how much time Kyungsoo had spent insuring his dress for the evening.

“Sir, I wouldn’t go that far.” Kyungsoo responded, causing Minseok to laugh.

“Was that a joke Kyungsoo?” Minseok’s eyes twinkled mischievously as he looked at his old friend, wondering if Kyungsoo had further perfected his use of sarcasm.

Kyungsoo shook his head “No sir, the truth.”

Minseok had laughed quietly a few times as he recalled the exchange, the carriage Luhan sent for him bouncing up and down on the uneven road. When his arrival at the Hayden mansion was announced Minseok swallowed hard. It was not as though he hadn’t met the Duke and Duchess before. In fact the Duke seemed to favor him. The difference, the source of his newfound nerves, was the fact he had never met the Duke and Duchess while being engaged to their only child. An important detail in the grand scheme of things.

The carriage door opened, to Minseok’s surprise it was not a footman waiting to help him out of the vehicle but Luhan.

“Hello.” Luhan greeted shyly, taking Minseok’s hand.

“Hello.” Minseok responded, having to jerk his hand out of Luhan’s after alighting the vehicle - the younger man seeming to want to hold hands as they walked into the mansion.

“My Parents have invited my Aunt and Uncle, Please forgive any kind of..um…questions you receive on their behalf.” Luhan explained as the butler opened the front door wide, announcing Minseok’s arrival. Minseok wished he had a chance to ask a few questions about what inquiries to expect but there was not time. It was a blur as he entered the household, bowing to the Duchess in greeting.

It was a warm, if not slightly pretentious greeting. Minseok couldn’t blame the woman however, it must have been quite a shock to her to hear of her son’s engagement after it was announced.

Minseok followed the Duchess into one of the spacious parlors of the mansion, bowing immediately as he greeted the Duke and two individuals he assumed must be the Aunt and Uncle that Luhan mentioned.

The Duke rose from where he was seated, making the introductions himself “Viscount D’Adderleigh, my son’s betrothed, please greet my dear younger brother, Seho and his wife Nana.”

“A pleasure.” Minseok greeted the two, immediately noting their strange dynamic. While Seho was a short and portly man, possessing a kind face and bright eyes his wife was tall, curvy, beauty and rather quiet.

“So this is the handsome Viscount that stole my little Lu’s heart.” Seho chuckled, winking at Luhan, who blushed furiously at the action.

“I wish you wouldn’t call me that, Uncle.” Luhan groaned.

“You are such a cute little Lu.” Nana cooed, Minseok understanding immediately that humor and a jovial attitude was what bonded Luhan’s Aunt and Uncle together.

***

“My family estate is in the north.” Minseok explained, taking a small bite of the delicious duck that was served. The six of them had sat down to dinner, politely chatting through the previous two courses. Minseok was thankful that his engagement with Luhan was so well received by the Hayden family, he was feeling more at ease every minute that passed.

“Hmmm.  The north. I like the north. That is where my wife lives.” Seho laughed making a motion to indicate that his wife towered over him.

“And I prefer the south. How odd.” Nana smiled at Seho, Minseok appreciating how much affection the two had for each other.

“Have you decided where you will live once you are married?” Seho asked, gulping his wine as he finished chewing. Minseok was initially surprised that the Duke’s younger brother had less than proper table manners, yet he found the fact rather endearing as time passed.

Luhan and Minseok looked at each other, neither answering. They hadn’t discussed that much. No, in fact they hadn’t discussed a good deal of the logistical matters they should have – they tended to spend their time in other, more immediate pursuits.

“It would be ideal if they were to become more familiar with the operations of the Hayden estate.” The Duke tactfully made his opinion known. Luhan had a large estate- almost twice the size of the D’Adderleigh lands – that he would inherit. Minseok knew this very well, yet the thought of ignoring his own ancestral home bothered him.

“I very much possess a desire to know more of the Hayden estate.” Minseok responded “However I must not forget my own family home.”

“Yes! Of course! I love his opinion on the matter.” Seho nudged his wife, who nodded in agreement.

The Duke seemed amicable enough at Minseok’s words, “I would not expect a man to forget his ancestral home.”

“What of a date?” The Duchess pressed after a few minutes of discussing rather frivolous matters “We need to announce the marriage banns.”

Minseok felt Luhan’s hand find his knee under the table, squeezing. As if to say it would be all right, no matter how many questions were thrown their way.

“Soon.” Luhan answered for the both of them, Minseok trying to hide his surprise, “I would like it if we could celebrate before the end of the month following the current month.”

Minseok felt Luhan’s hand caress further up Minseok’s leg, teasing. Minseok wanted to slap Luhan’s hand off of his knee, but refrained from drawing attention to the Earl’s affection - which was very much hidden from the other diners.

“I believe we have a lot of planning to do.” The Duchess said, “Including a rather proud, formal announcement at the gala in two days’ time.” She emphasized the word formal, her distaste for how her son’s engagement was originally announced not being lost on Minseok or Luhan.

“That would be wonderful.” Luhan agreed, his hand moving up Minseok’s thigh in a teasing manner. Minseok managed to move his foot ever so, kicking Luhan’s shin in turn. Luhan flinched for a moment then covered it up with a cough, no one any the wiser.

***

Luhan sat on his bed, admiring the sight. Minseok was walking around Luhan’s bedroom, muttering a few words here and there – a question at some times – as he surveyed the items that Luhan held dear. They had cleverly found their way to Luhan’s room after Luhan had told his parents that Minseok was interested in the portrait gallery – which of course had Luhan dragging Minseok upstairs to his room.

“A ship in a bottle?” Minseok held up the bottle, examining it closely “Do you have a desire to go to sea?”

“I have a desire to fit tiny things in places they cannot possibly escape.” Luhan joked, obviously referring to Minseok’s smaller stature and his own wish to…well.

Luhan’s bedroom door opened before Minseok could issue a proper retort. A tall, lean and tan man entered, bowing immediately and looking very embarrassed when he noticed Minseok in the room.

“Ahhh!” Luhan jumped up from the bed, “This is my valet!”

Minseok bowed, knowing full well if he didn’t Kyungsoo would somehow know of it and scold him “A pleasure to meet you. I am Viscount D’Adderleigh.”

The man stared at the floor, then bowed quickly “I was not aware that you had a visitor. Please forgive me, My Lord.”

“No need to apologize old boy. I need you to introduce yourself.” Luhan approached his valet, patting him on the back awkwardly “Now please tell the Viscount your..um….Adams?”

The valet continued looking around the room, anywhere but into Minseok’s eyes “It is a pleasure to meet you my lord. My name is Jongin, I am the Earl of Easton’s valet.”

-------------------------------

a/n- Kai is Luhan’s valet?! Waahhh! And what of Sehun’s Dad getting into the mystery?! So much unknown, so much me teasing you guys. Forgive me!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the awesome comments! I squeal at each notification ^^ And of course thank you even if you don’t comment, I appreciate it if you just casually check out the story as well! Readers, upvoters, commenters, and subbers – I want to buy you all a puppy!

PS- If you are ever bored I tend to update this tumblr more (Exo based site, I am Admin L). I do have a personal tumblr but that has also kind of fallen to the wayside like all of my other social media. Oops…

Until next time <3 LC