Chapter 9

The Masquerade

Yunho’s office was particularly lacking in space when Minseok, Jongdae, and Junmyeon arrived.

“Every bill of sale, every purchase record that was found in the jeweler’s backroom.” Yunho explained, pointing towards the stacks and stacks of paper. “Are here. I have men pouring over them as we speak.”

Minseok was still shaken by what had occurred the day before. The image of the elderly man’s body swinging from the rafters ingrained in his mind. “I don’t understand what could have driven him to take his own life. What the alternative to death was.”

“I dare say this case may involve more powerful forces than we initially thought.” Yunho crossed his arms, looking from one stack of paper to the next “I have a feeling the man felt hopeless if he revealed the perpetrators, which means that the persons behind this are very likely extremely ruthless and powerful.”

“Or extremely efficient at appearing that they are.” Junmyeon commented, three pairs of surprised eyes staring at him.

“Yes, that could be the case as well.” Yunho looked appreciatively at Junmyeon, who colored under the attention “I dare say you may be a far better investigator than my nephew.”

“Uncle!” Jongdae protested.

Yunho ignored him, “Now, you three have an appointment at the Duke of Hayden’s house. I need you to scope out the rooms, understand the layout prior to the gala. If the thief tries to escape, which I am certain he will if identified, you need to know the lay of the home.”

Minseok swallowed. Visit Luhan’s parent’s house? He felt more than a little uncomfortable- but then again it wasn’t like he wouldn’t be there in a few days any way, attending the gala in search of the thief.

Yet he still felt like squirming at the thought, of visiting the home so soon, his mind tired and confused. The night prior he had found sleep elusive, the events of the day, of the jeweler’s suicide, haunted him. So did the thoughts of Luhan, his words, his suspicions…how he made Minseok feel. Visiting his family’s home was not something he had counted on doing that afternoon. Certainly not.

***

The Hayden’s mansion in the city was an impressive sight. Minseok had visited homes in the city this spacious, Junmyeon’s house was almost, if not, as large. Yet this house had a rather storied history coupled with the knowledge that it was where Luhan had grown up, where his family lived.

The three visitors were led through the winding halls to The Duke’s library, a servant clad in deep blue livery leading the way. Minseok noticed the portraits hanging on the walls, noting a bit of a reslemblance to Luhan in some of them. He wondered if Luhan was proud of his heritage, or if he was an heir that felt the burden acutely. They knew so little about each other in some ways, yet so much about each other in other ways.

The Duke greeted them warmly, offering them brandy near a crackling fireplace. The room was paneled in dark wood, with floor to ceiling bookshelves. Minseok resisted the urge to dive into the titles, his own library much smaller.

“I enlisted someone to give you the grand tour of the home.” The Duke explained after everyone was seated comfortably “Someone with intimate knowledge of the home.”

“Thank you, my lord. I am very appreciative of your help with the investigation.” Jongdae spoke for the three of them.

“It is my pleasure. Your uncle and I go way back. He is a good man.” The Duke sipped his brandy “It is the least that I can do.’

The four men chatted amicably for a few minutes, until the door to the library was opened again. Luhan walked into the room, bowing awkwardly when he noticed who was visiting with his Father.

“Our tour guide has arrived.  Luhan, you are already acquainted with our friends I believe?” The Duke smiled, clearly oblivious to the way his son and Minseok stared at each other, neither man daring to move.

***

Jongdae was having a difficult time not boring holes in Luhan’s back as he led them through the home. Minseok ignored his friend’s reaction, too busy focusing on keeping his own breathing calm, his own demeanor appropriate for the circumstance.

“I admit that I am jealous of the layout of your home.” Junmyeon, none the wiser in regards to Luhan and Minseok’s relationship, chatted cheerfully with Luhan.

“Thank you.” Luhan had escorted the three men around most of the first floor, he was carefully explaining the layout of the second floor. “This portion of the home was remodeled in the last century.”

“Beautiful craftsmanship.” Junmyeon admired the carvings that decorated the ceiling.

“Yes, they were crafted by one of the foremost artisan working in the city at the time.” Luhan kept repeating to himself that he should focus on the tour, not on Minseok. His inner monologue was only moderately helpful, every time he looked at Minseok his mind went blank.

Luhan’s Father had left a note with Luhan’s butler regarding giving the tour, sending it via a servant the day prior. Luhan had ignored it, too busy relishing in the revelation D’Adderleigh wasn’t the scoundrel he could have been. A joy that was very shortly replaced by a deep regret over how he had questioned Minseok so bluntly. How could he make it up to him? Luhan cursed his own stupidity countless times.

When Luhan walked into his father’s library and saw Minseok sitting there he was shocked. His father’s note said something about giving a small group of fellow nobles a tour of the home, for architectural appreciation purposes. Luhan didn’t know Minseok liked architecture. Luhan also didn’t know how to speak to the man after he had made such a splendid mess of things.

They walked from room to room, Luhan pointing out one interesting feature after another. When they reached an area near the servants quarters Luhan pushed at the wall “This is the most interesting part of the house. A secret passage way, built long ago for priests in hiding.”

Minseok had heard of such passage ways before. When Catholicism was persecuted in the 17th century many affluent Catholics incorporated secret passage ways in their homes, allowing for the easy entry and exit of clergy.

The wall moved slightly when Luhan hit the paneling at a certain point. Luhan pushed the portion of the wall in, revealing a dark passage. Moving to take a candle from one of the wall sconces, Luhan held it towards the passage. “It leads to the cellar, where a similar passage allows a discreet exit from the home if needed.”

“I dare say that may prove useful, if one knows of it.” Junmyeon said, referring to an escape route for the thief. Jongdae picked up on his meaning, casting him a questioning look.

“Useful?” Luhan laughed “I am not sure for what now that we no longer need to hide priests.”

“I meant-“Junmyeon stuttered.

“Is the young master giving a tour?”

The four men turned to look down the hall, where a plump and jovial looking woman was approaching. Luhan perked up at the sight, a grin breaking out. “Yes.” Luhan answered.

The woman looked the men up and down, “My, what handsome young tourists you are.”

The men bowed slightly, even if the woman was clearly a servant of some sort her good nature immediately won them over.

“This is Lisbeth, my nanny.” Luhan introduced her.

Jongdae choked on his laughter, Junmyeon patting his back hard as he coughed and sputtered. “N..anny?”

The woman Luhan called Lisbeth shot Jongdae a slightly annoyed look “Not anymore, my lord. A simple maid now that the young master has grown.”

Minseok scowled at Jongdae’s reaction. Of course Luhan didn’t have a nanny anymore, he was a grown man. Minseok personally found it endearing the woman was kept on staff.

“The young master here is not someone I could leave so easily.” Lisbeth answered as if she could read Minseok’s thoughts. She smiled at Luhan, who practically glowed under the attention. “He is a good man.”

Jongdae had recovered his composure. He wanted to ask the woman if Luhan was such a good man that he trusted those he loved but he bit his tongue. He knew when to stay silent, at least sometimes.

“The young master has even told me more than once he would give up all his riches if he could help others.” Lisbeth continued fawning over Luhan “A right, kind man he is.”

Minseok smiled. Luhan would give everything up to help others? Was that the truth?

“The young master sounds exceptionally kind.” Minseok bit his bottom lip after speaking, not meaning for the words to slip out. Yet, Luhan’s reaction somehow made his comment worthwhile.

“He is!” Lisbeth smiled “When but a lad he would sneak into the kitchen and take food for the smaller lads who worked on the estate.”

Luhan blushed “That is enough Lisbeth. I am sure they understand how kind I am.”

“What a nice young man.” Minseok couldn’t help but enjoy seeing Luhan squirm. Jongdae stared at Minseok, speechless as his friend continued “It sounds as if The Earl has no faults.”

“Oh, that is not the case, let me assure you.” Lisbeth clasped her hands together “He has a terrible fear of insects. Can’t even see one without screaming.”

Minseok chuckled, as did Junmyeon. Jongdae cracked a smile while Luhan blushed furiously.

“That is enough Lisbeth. It was pleasant to see you, please go about your day. I would hate to interrupt your routine.” Luhan felt like hiding his head after his former nanny’s description of his phobia.

Lisbeth curtsied and went on her way, having thoroughly embarrassed Luhan in a short amount of time, as she loved to do – in the most affectionate manner of course.

The rest of the tour was uneventful, Luhan not daring to look at Minseok again. He took small consolation in the fact Minseok seemed a bit softened towards him. Perhaps he was not so angry at him anymore.

When the three men neared the front door, ready to depart, Luhan dared ask the men if they would be attending the soiree at Mademoiselle Beauchamp’s that evening. When Minseok confirmed the fact Luhan held his breath, he would see him again…soon.

***

Mademoiselle Beauchamp enjoyed holding court. A court she could no longer hold in France, not after the revolution. She stocked her parties with everyone who topped the list of the peerage, a feat made possible by her calculating and methodical seduction of the said group of people.

Her childhood was rather unremarkable if the truth was told, which more often than not was hidden- if the Mademoiselle had anything to do with it. Her father belonged to the minor nobility in France, her Mother a serving girl. Mademoiselle, however, had the tact and know-how to pull herself from obscurity into one important marriage after another. When she fled to another country after the bloody revolution she started her game all over again.

She married an extremely wealthy man who had a merchant fleet that traversed half the globe. While not titled, she enjoyed everything money could buy, including important friends. Her affairs were whispered about in afternoon salons, chased after by many an unscrupulous nobleman, and touted by those who proudly “helped Mademoiselle hold court after her husband’s sad and untimely death.”

The aristocracy ate up her background, her intrigues, finding her to be a fascinating and rather fashionable person to associate with. They forgave her potentially scandalous behavior in trade for her brilliant get-togethers, social gatherings that never failed to dominate the papers for weeks to come.

Minseok was invited to the party, Mademoiselle Beauchamp having found him favorable pre-scandal, and apparently post scandal as well. When Minseok arrived alongside Jongdae the Mademoiselle embraced him warmly.

“I feared you would not attend My Lord. These vipers –“She waved her hand at the crowded room, her French accent heavy “should never keep someone like you away.”

Minseok thanked the woman, finding his way through the crowd. He knew Luhan would be there, probably Sehun as well knowing his luck. Jongdae stayed near his side, particularly overprotective of late.

“If you want to greet others, you may. I will be okay.” Minseok attempted to alleviate any fears his friend may have over his wellbeing.

“Will you?” Jongdae asked, concerned.

“Yes. Now go.” Minseok pushed Jongdae lightly, urging him to go forth and socialize. Minseok had noticed more than one person glancing at him as he walked into the party, now that he was alone the number of people whispering and looking in his direction was more obvious, no one next to him to pay attention to.

Minseok ignored the unwelcome attention the best he could, focusing instead on the hilarious greetings that the mademoiselle was dolling out. She had a way of waving her arms, bursting into affectionate embraces, and laughing loudly that he found extremely endearing.

***

“He appears to have given you a very good talking down.” Heechul remarked, reacting to Luhan’s story of how Jongdae had lashed out at him for lacking trust in Minseok, “I like it.”

“You are supposed to be my friend!” Luhan protested. They were in Heechul’s carriage, traversing the bumpy roads on the way to Mademoiselle Beauchamp’s soiree.

“I am your friend, however I appreciate a strong man when I hear of one.” Heechul winked, “Jongdae sounds like a man with…strong convictions.”

“He seemed in better spirits this afternoon..” Luhan looked out the window of the carriage, the streets calming down as the day turned into night. The street merchants were busy closing their stalls, the shops showing only a light here and there burning. Some working class people milled about, a few of them appearing intoxicated as they stumbled up the sidewalk.

“He probably discovered the reality that being angry with you would be a lifetime occurrence. Perhaps he decided to conserve his energy for now.” Heechul offered, kicking Luhan playfully “Now don’t do anything exceptionally stupid tonight.”

Luhan rolled his eyes “Have some faith in me old boy.”

“I will as soon as you give me reason to.” Heechul countered, earning a scowl from Luhan.

***

Baekhyun received a particularly tight embrace from Mademoiselle Beauchamp, accompanied by a whisper “Do as we spoke of and you shall be engaged by this evening.”

Baekhyun nodded ever so slightly, pretending of course that the woman was not giving him any kind of direction. Baekhyun was giddy, inwardly at least. Outwardly he was his same playful self, though he did try to be a tad bit more restrained. He didn’t want to ruin his plan after all. It would only be a matter of time before he would be married to Luhan.

Chanyeol stayed by his side as they grabbed glasses of wine, greeting people here and there as they mingled.

“Is it true what I heard?” One middle aged matron questioned as they approached.

“I am not sure what you heard, my lady.” Baekhyun laughed amicably.

“An engagement is in your future?” She waved her fan quickly, giving Baekhyun a questioning look.

“I dare to admit I heard that myself.” Chanyeol slapped his friend on the back, Baekhyun stepping a foot forward and scowling at Chanyeol for his strong action. Baekhyun regained his composure, smiling.

“I am not sure what you are referring to, My Lady.” Baekhyun tried to look coy, unknowing.

***

It was Junmyeon who heard the rumor first, the gossip quickly making the rounds of the party.

“A match for him indeed…” The man, a fellow member of Junmyeon’s club, laughed about it as he relayed the rumor “Imagine how livid the Duke must be to have approved that marriage!”

“Whatever are you referring to?” Junmyeon was clueless. The man filled him in on the supposed engagement, rumored to be revealed that very night.

Junmyeon had shook his head at the thought, not having considered Baekhyun a match for the future Duke of Hayden. Baekhyun’s family did have wealth, that was true, but for Junmyeon the marriage of those above his own station and title in life seemed to call for an important list of requirements. One of those not being the son of a newborn title, without notable accomplishment in the history books attributed to the said family.

When Junmyeon found Jongdae, many minutes later, he shared the news. “The rumor is that the Earl of Easton will announce his engagement to Baron Overton’s son tonight.”

Junmyeon jumped back, nearly dropping his wine glass as Jongdae grabbed his shoulders, “What?!”

Junmyeon huffed, wondering what madness had gotten into his friend to cause such a strong reaction “That is what they are saying. Why? Is there something the matter?”

Jongdae didn’t know how to explain that yes- something was the matter. Something very bad indeed. Minseok, their friend, was involved in something, yes something – with the Earl of Easton. And Jongdae knew Minseok was not expecting such news. No, his friend would be too transparent if that was the case. Only that afternoon Minseok was practically flirting with the Earl, there was no possible way that he knew of any such engagement.

Jongdae released Junmyeon’s shoulders, in a few deep breaths he choked out “No. Nothing is the matter.”

Junmyeon watched as Jongdae turned heel and walked quickly away. What a curious incident indeed.

***

“The Earl of Easton! And the forever handsome Heechul!” The Mademoiselle kissed Heechul on each cheek, reserving the show of familiarity for Heechul alone. She curtsied slightly to Luhan, smiling widely in greeting.

Luhan bowed, staying quiet as he passed by the Mademoiselle. He was eager to find D’Adderleigh. To apologize – to try to make things right. Or to just stare, either one.

As soon as Heechul was past the Mademoiselle she motioned a servant over. She leaned in, whispering to the footman “Please notify Baron Overton’s son that all is well, discreetly.”

The footman nodded, leaving to complete the task. The mademoiselle returned to greeting her guests, anticipating what was to come.

***

“Luhan!” Baekhyun approached, arms spread wide.

Luhan groaned internally, forgetting Baekhyun was in attendance. He needed to avoid having Baekhyun latch onto his arm all night, though that course of action quickly became nearly impossible. As Baekhyun greeted him warmly, he noticed more than one pair of eyes on them. They were watching, he needed to be on his best behavior.

“Are you well?” Luhan asked lamely.

“My puppy!” Heechul cooed, not caring who overheard his greeting. Baekhyun playfully grimaced at Heechul’s words.

“I missed you today, My Lord.” Baekhyun said shyly, his gaze directed at Luhan.

Luhan offered a small, polite smile “Yes. Well-“He cleared his throat “Thank you.”

“No, thank you for being such a caring…very good friend.” Baekhyun moved to grab Luhan’s arm. Luhan stepped backwards in response. The action would have likely been the focus of many a whisper if Luhan hadn’t stepped onto the dress of the woman behind him as he moved.

Luhan turned, apologizing. The woman looking both slightly annoyed and oddly appreciative of Luhan’s attention.

“If that isn’t Jongdae, who desperately is in need of receiving my attention.” Heechul directed his companion’s eyes towards the far end of the room, where Jongdae was walking towards-

Luhan smiled. It was Minseok. Beautiful Minseok with the most amazing eyes, the most amazing body, the…

Luhan watched as Jongdae began speaking to Minseok in an animated way. Whatever were they talking about?

“Congratulations on the impending news, old boy.” One of Luhan’s father’s friends interrupted his view of Minseok, his mouth full of yellow teeth causing Luhan to lean back.

“News?” Luhan was confused. “What news?”

“Your engagement old boy, of course. Congratulation to you as well-“The man patted Baekhyun on the head, “For marrying up. You social climber you.” The man winked at Baekhyun, who immediately appeared taken aback.

Marriage? Engagement? Baekhyun…

***

“His engagement is going to be announced.” Jongdae tried to reason with Minseok, tried to explain the unfortunate circumstance as quickly and accurately as possible “The rumor is everywhere.”

“Engagement?” Minseok felt numb. Yes, numb. Luhan was engaged to Baekhyun…to be announced that very night? “Why would he announce it here?”

“I don’t know, but it appears that this may be the case.” Jongdae worried for his friend “Please, if you need to, take your leave.”

Take his leave? Minseok wanted to laugh. Luhan was planning on getting engaged all along? It was nothing but a momentary occurrence – but what of his words the other morning, talking about being together? Was Minseok’s anger enough to turn him from the idea, into the arms of Baron Overton’s son? Was Luhan such a careless, foolish, heartless…

Minseok didn’t register the fact Luhan was approaching, he was too deeply thrown into his own torment at Jongdae’s words.

Jongdae, his back to Luhan, didn’t notice his approach either. He was too busy urging Minseok to leave, to go before he had to witness such a distasteful and potentially upsetting announcement.

The first moment Minseok was aware that Luhan was near was when Jongdae moved, forced to step aside as a hand found his shoulder and urged him to get out of the way.

Luhan. It was Luhan, facing him, standing in front of him, everyone in the room seemingly staring at them. If Luhan and Minseok cared to look that is, to pay attention to what those around them were doing. They didn’t. The strong, strange attraction crackling between them. A distraction, a blissful, powerful distraction that rendered all others invisible.

Luhan stared into those beautiful eyes, those eyes that made him feel as though he could give up everything in the world just to see them again.

Minseok, a hurt growing inside of him, a hurt that told him any bout of anger was but a momentary feeling, an hour, a day of discomfort given the meaning Luhan had to him…the way Luhan had broken through his hard exterior, a necessity after a social scorn so ruthless and savage he wondered how he could function in the accursed city again. Luhan…who would be engaged. The pain was so terrible he couldn’t underestimate what Luhan meant to him.

 And then time seemed to stop, the world thrown into slow motion as Minseok faced Luhan.

“I would like to announce my engagement.” Luhan stood in front of Minseok. His gaze never left Minseok’s eyes as he spoke. His voice growing loud, so all around them could and would hear “To the Viscount D’Adderleigh.”

Minseok didn’t have time to protest Luhan’s words, he didn’t have time to tell those gathered that nothing had been decided, it wasn’t anything he had agreed to. No, he had no time at all before his lips were captured by Luhan’s own, Luhan pulling him into a passionate kiss for all the world to see.

------------------------------

a/n- Because for all of Luhan acting like an idiot, hot dayum does he know how to make an announcement. I hope you liked the update!

Thank you, thank you, thank to all the recent up voters. I blush at the fact you guys are enjoying this so much. I really like writing this story and the fact so many people are enjoying it adds to my own love for this tale. Until next time -LC