Chapter 1

The Masquerade

The music drifted from the ballroom, the din of greetings and deep conversations carried along with the light melody into the cool night air. The carriages were arriving at a steady pace, greeted by liveried footmen who bowed and opened carriage doors with the precision that went into their exclusive positions serving the Kim family. Slippered feet stepped onto the meticulously groomed gravel drive, servants helping the women with their long trains as they neared the grand entrance. Torches lit the way, held by more men dressed in the unmistakable scarlet livery of the Kim family.

Silks, furs, jewels – men impeccably dressed in perfectly ironed attire – masks of feathers and hats of beaver fur topping off the evening’s costumes. It was the annual Masquerade Ball at the Kim Estate, one of the social events of the season. An invitation to the ball was sought after by matrons eager to marry off their lately-of-age sons and daughters, by up and coming social climbers, and by the old guard that needed to ensure their positions as the seen and be seen members of society remained constant year after year. It was a social crime to turn down an invitation, a worse crime to accept an invitation and not show.

While there were plenty of people hungry for an invitation to the event, Minseok wasn’t one of them. It had taken weeks of begging from his best friend Jongdae before Minseok even considered the idea.

“You are in the city- you can’t just not go! You haven’t seen Junmyeon in three years!” Jongdae had eventually worn down Minseok’s resolve until he mumbled a noncommittal “sure” one day over brandy.

Minseok hadn’t even bothered buying a new costume for the event. He was ready to wear what he had donned last time he had been to a masquerade party, but his valet Kyungsoo quickly shot that idea down. His servant it seemed had a greater preoccupation towards what was socially acceptable than he did of late. He couldn’t help but smile when Kyungsoo showed him the Egyptian inspired costume, gold accents and white and black feathers completing the ornate mask. It was just like Kyungsoo to find something so…detailed.

If there was one saving grace, Minseok thought, it was that this was in fact a masquerade ball. In that people would be wearing masks, including himself. He wouldn’t be making his grand reentrance into high society with all eyes on him – unless they could figure out who it was under the mask that is (and Minseok was not about to announce himself).

“Kim Minseok, Viscount D’Adderleigh.”

Too late. Minseok cringed as the butler announced his arrival as he neared the receiving line. He should have known that arriving in a carriage with his families coat emblazoned on the side would be the poorest way of hiding his attendance but old habits die hard.

Kim Junmyeon, otherwise styled as Viscount Collingwood (a placeholder of sorts until he received the title of Earl from his Father), immediately broke form and strode towards his old friend, a huge grin on his face. He was wearing the costume of a naval officer complete with an ornate mask -however Minseok could recognize that smile anywhere.

“Jongdae said you would be attending but I didn’t believe him. It is so good to see you.” Junmyeon swept Minseok into a tight hug, patting his back with gusto, “How long has it been? A year? More?”

Minseok laughed “More like three but who is counting. It is good to see you.”

“Good to see me? Good to see me? This should be the highlight of your life. How did you survive so long without seeing me-that is what I want to know?” Junmyeon had always been the cheeky sort, awkward in a very endearing way. Minseok knew him well – along with Jongdae the three of them were practically inseparable from childhood through early adulthood. The best of friends.

“I barely survived.” Minseok clutched his chest in mock pain, laughing. He had to admit it was good to see Junmyeon -at least. He wasn’t so sure about the rest of the people gathered.

“Minseok, what a pleasant surprise.” The Countess, otherwise known as Junmyeon’s Mother, was the first person to sneer at him. She shouldn’t have considering she approved the final guest list, though Minseok guessed his invite was at the urging of her son and had very little to do with her own desires to see him.

“A pleasure to see you after so long.” Minseok bowed, ignoring the distasteful look she gave him. He had a feeling this was just the beginning of a string of awkward greetings. High society had a very long memory.

***

Whispers followed the man as he walked across the room. He heard some of them, he could guess what the ones he did not hear entailed. He was, as decided by the ghastly gaggle of matrons that seemed to make these kind of social announcements every season, the catch of the year. Every Mother was eager for her son to catch his eye, every match maker promising a huge bounty if this in fact happened.

The fact that all signs pointed towards the reality that he was soon to be off the market and married did not deter anyone. The announcement had yet to be officially made so as far as everyone was concerned he was still fair game in the marriage mart.

Luhan’s background and qualifications were practically the stuff of legends. He was handsome, tall but not too tall. His face was often likened to a woman, so pretty and fair he had more than one painter ask him to be their muse (which he always politely declined). He didn’t think it would be a good idea for the son of a Duke to be painted by the bohemians who filled the stylish salons in the late evening.

Luhan’s personality was a counter to his baby face-he boxed in his free time and he was an excellent rider. He also excelled at hunting, billiards, and pretty much any kind of game that was played in the exclusive clubs. He had never been involved in anything that could be considered even the least bit scandalous and he was rich. Filthy rich with a spotless lineage. In other words he was as close to perfect as a man who had nothing better to do than wake up late and attend social events could be.

“Luhan, come here.” Baekhyun waved Luhan over as soon as he saw him approaching from across the room, “I see those vixens eyeing you up and down.”

Baekhyun was dressed in a white costume, an ornate Egyptian black and white feathered mask covering his handsome face. He was shorter than Luhan, thin with ash brown hair and a consistently playful expression. He attracted attention based on his looks, though his personal details were no match for Luhan’s.

“Baekhyun, you have nothing to worry about. We are practically married.” Luhan rolled his eyes. Their engagement would be announced next month during Luhan’s family’s gala- if Luhan had anything to say about it. It was only a matter of time before he could finally be free of all of the matchmakers.

“If your Father approves of it.” Baekhyun reminded him. There was that little hang up. Luhan hadn’t exactly received his father’s permission, though he hadn’t received his complete objections over the match either.

Baekhyun wouldn’t be a terrible match for Luhan, but there were certain things that his Father voiced concern over. Baekhyun’s family was nouveau riche, they had been titled a generation ago (with a respectably lowly title of Baron) which was nearly akin to a newborn in the life of the peerage. Baekhyun’s first cousin had a bit of a scandal some years back that ended with him marrying the third daughter of a notorious Baron. Baekhyun’s family wasn’t the wealthiest nor the most well connected. But they were connected enough for the marriage to not be entirely out of the question.

Of course there was the fact that neither Baekhyun nor Luhan were in love with each other. Love wasn’t usually a requirement for marriage, at least not in their social class. Marriage was based on mutual benefit achieved through the legal joining of families, not romantic notions. It was about moving money and resources not the human heart.

It wasn’t as though Baekhyun and Luhan had no feelings for each other. They liked each other, kissed each other more than once and enjoyed it. But they didn’t love each other – no, and that was okay with both of them. Their marriage would free them of their family’s control, which was more important than any kind of soulmate nonsense; both of them wanting freedom desperately. They could stand each other, give each other breathing room, and that was an ideal arrangement for both man

It was too bad, therefore, that Luhan’s Father and Mother were genuinely in love. So much so they had often urged Luhan to make a love match. It was clear to both of his parents that marriage with Baekhyun was not based on love, leading to their biggest reservation over the engagement.

“I heard that Viscount D’Adderleigh is here.” Baekhyun whispered to Luhan, deciding to change the subject from their potential engagement.

“Who?” Luhan tried to place the name. He was relatively new to the social season in the city, having taken extended time traveling the continent as was ordered by his Father.

“The one who broke the engagement with Earl Presley’s son a few years back.” Baekhyun explained.

Luhan’s mouth formed a perfect O. Of course he had heard of Viscount D’Adderleigh, who hadn’t. He was still the talk of the town for his disgraceful behavior. “And he dared to come here?”

“I guess his families long history can even make up for acting like a soulless charlatan.” Baekhyun shook his head “Hopefully he causes a ruckus or something and livens the place up.”

“You really are sadistic Baekhyun.”

“But you think I am cute.” Baekhyun pouted. Luhan laughed. It was true, Baekhyun was cute. A good kisser too. If he had the opportunity to slip out from the party he would have to be sure to tell him so, maybe even show him how much he appreciated his lip locking skills.

***

Jongdae had latched onto Minseok’s side as soon as he spotted him walking into the ballroom. He knew how hard it had been for Minseok to agree to attend the event – he also knew his begging was the only reason Minseok was in attendance. He felt some responsibility to his old friend.

“I think I have the best costume here.” Jongdae, also known as Baron Morgan, remarked after dragging Minseok out to the terrace for some fresh air. They had made the rounds past the society matriarchs, some of who realized it was Minseok under the fancy mask- immediately starting to talk amongst themselves with their poisonous tongues. Jongdae grew tired of it quickly and decided to save his friend from further gossip mongering.

“I thought I saw at least four other Turks.” Minseok teased.

“But none as handsome as myself.” Jongdae pointed at his puffed out chest, “Good thing your best friend is so good looking.”

“Right. Right.” Minseok had really missed Jongdae during his years away. After a few moments of silence Minseok sadly remarked “I missed you- I missed Junmyeon during my time away too, but I honestly would be happy if I never had to attend one of these things again.”

“I know old boy, but unfortunately your new line of work needs you to show your handsome and titled face around.”

Minseok groaned inwardly. Right- there was that little problem – or promise is more like it. Jongdae had been the one asking, again, and Minseok had said yes. He needed something to do after all. Before he had left the country three years ago Minseok had busied himself with the management of his family’s estate. But that was a shattered dream, long gone with his Father. He needed something to do now.

Jongdae had taken charge of a group at the Home Department, completely on the down low of course, and he was in need of others to gather intelligence alongside him. “It is amazing what conspiracies and crimes are afoot in our level of society.” Jongdae had explained “You can make a difference. Help to make things right.”

Minseok needed to make things right. The same high society that so hated him after the incident three years ago could use a big dose of reality and punishment for their own misdeeds. “I did agree to help, didn’t I?”

“You did. And I am forever thankful for it.” Jongdae reached out and squeezed his friend’s shoulder, “Now how about we go inside and start paying attention to who is wearing what jewels?”

Jongdae was, of late, hot on the heels of a string of jewelry thefts. He had explained to Minseok that he highly doubted the thief would strike such a well-known event, but the thefts had occurred in the past during celebrations such as this. The thought was that the thief could have already reset the stolen jewels and sold them to unsuspecting wealthy customers- some of whom may be at the Masquerade ball and able to provide some sort of description of where they purchased the jewels.

“After you, boss.” Minseok gestured towards the door, ready to reenter the lion’s den.

***

“And I said to him – I am sorry sir, but my Father would like to hear of it.” Luhan earned a round of laughter as he finished up his story.

“I must say, you have such an agreeable temperament for a young man.” Baroness Ingram playfully slapped at Luhan’s forearm with her fan. She was an ancient thing- dripping with jewels and smelling heavily of perfume. She was one of about half a dozen people now surrounding Luhan, hanging on his every word.

Luhan was used to it, so he entertained them for the time being. After all Baekhyun had been diverted by his old school friend Chanyeol and he was growing bored without him. He glanced around the room, noticing that he no longer saw the black and white feathers of Baekhyun’s mask among the dancers or those gathered around the long mirrored walls, chatting idly.

“Please excuse me for a moment.” Luhan smiled his megawatt smile – which made certain he would be forgiven no matter what. His audience parted to let him pass; Luhan deciding it was time to see what Baekhyun had gotten up to.

***

Minseok had noticed the large Ruby pendant hanging around the woman’s neck. It was hard not to notice the gem, the jewel was so large. There was a missing Ruby among the list of stolen jewels so it was worth at least understanding who the woman was that was currently wearing it. It could be a false alarm but better safe than sorry.

Minseok followed the woman as she made her way out of the ballroom and through the crowded hall. The Kim family estate was spacious however it was currently crowded, the number of those attending the annual Masquerade ball nearing a few hundred of the most socially prominent members of the city, making it less than shocking that Minseok lost the woman in the crowd.

Minseok had followed her to the entryway before he could no longer find her. In a last ditch effort to locate her whereabouts he ventured to the long gallery, a place of secluded alcoves that was well known to be favored by guests looking for a place to indulge in more private conversations and…displays of affection.

The gallery seemed to be deserted, Minseok checking the first dark alcove and then the next. He stopped, standing in the near darkness he sighed heavily. He didn’t want to go back to the party. He really didn’t want to go back.

***

Luhan was feeling…needy. He hadn’t had a chance to kiss the sense out of Baekhyun for almost a week now. It wasn’t proper to have Baekhyun at his bachelor townhouse and Baekhyun had been caught up attending social events with his best friend Chanyeol. As soon as Luhan realized Baekhyun was missing from the ballroom he knew that he must be waiting. Probably wanting a furious make out session as much as Luhan. While they didn’t love each other- physically they adored each other.

Luhan entered the deserted gallery quietly, having every intention of taking Baekhyun by surprise. He had to stifle his laughter as he noticed Baekhyun standing in the second alcove, his back facing the long hall, the black and white feathers of his mask marking his identity. Perfect, just perfect.

***

Minseok jumped as he felt arms snake around his waist. He was about to turn around and punch whoever had snuck up on him but he never had a chance. He was whirled around swiftly, his mouth captured in a passionate kiss.

Minseok struggled, resisting as the man kissed him. His hands reached towards the man’s chest, pushing as hard as he could. But the man wouldn’t budge. He had Minseok tightly in his embrace, arms around his waist as he pulled him closer. Minseok panicked, not sure who was assaulting him.

It had been a long time since he had been kissed like this, he had forgotten…oh….he suddenly started to relax. What was the matter with him? Kim Minseok, think..think-

 He wasn’t sure what came over him as he stopped resisting, stopped fighting, and let himself be kissed. He opened his mouth ever so, allowing entry. He felt the man’s warm tongue caress his own, his teeth nipping Minseok’s bottom lip. The man moaned into the kiss and damn if Minseok didn’t feel himself getting hard at the sensation combined with that deep, sensual moan that hummed through him, arousing something in him he hadn’t felt in a very long time.

Their bodies melded together, Minseok raising his hands to wrap around the man’s neck without conscious thought, pulling him closer. He responded by pushing Minseok back, letting his back softly hit the wall as he deepened the lip lock.

“I should be concerned how you are suddenly much better at this, shouldn’t I?” The man asked as he broke the kiss for a second, taking a deep breath and going in for more.

Minseok welcomed him this time, urgently responding with every fiber of his being. He felt heat rise up in his cheeks as his hand s through the man’s hair, pulling him closer. Wanting. Needing. They were both fighting for more of each other, desperately taking as much as they could get.

Minseok groaned as the mysterious man started to kiss, , and nip – practically every inch of Minseok’s skin from his mouth to his chin, administering to his neck with careful and sensuous kisses. Minseok should have broken away, pushed him off, but his body wasn’t cooperating. No, his body wanted more. Wanted a lot more from this stranger.

He was hard now, painfully so – but so was his partner. He could feel it against his thigh as he moaned at the and nips, the hurried movements of tongue against skin. Minseok threw his head back, his throaty gasps spurring his partner on.

“You are so good...so good….” The man purred, his hands moving to Minseok’s hips, squeezing. Minseok bucked up in response, grinding.

And then he was forced back to reality. A loud scream sounded from afar. A woman in hysterics. The man raised his head, attention suddenly turned towards the shrill noise. Minseok regained his senses long enough to push the man off of him and run down the length of the gallery, making sure he took his mask off and held it just so to hide his painfully evident .

***

“My jewels!” Junmyeon’s Mother was grasping her neck, her face bright red “Someone stole my necklace!”

Minseok pushed through the crowd until he found Jongdae, his mask still carefully held in his hand to hide his problem. “What happened?”

“Looks like the thief struck – he is getting bold. He took the necklace right from her neck.” Jongdae shook his head, frustrated that he hadn’t been able to catch the criminal in the act.

“Do you know who did this?” Junmyeon asked, his arm around his mother as he comforted her.

“No! I wouldn’t be screaming if I knew, I would be telling you to go find the infidel!” The Countess swooned backward, Junmyeon catching his Mother as she mimed a faint.

“Looks like we have some investigating to do.” Jongdae looked around the room, noticing only startled expressions intermixed with some slightly annoyed and indifferent people.

“Right.” Minseok wasn’t sure how they should start investigating since this was technically his first investigation.

“Where were you, by the way? Your face is red.” Jongdae reached out to touch Minseok’s cheek.

Minseok batted his friend's hand away, not wanting to explain that he was busy grinding against some stranger in an alcove in the gallery “I, um, just felt a bit lightheaded.”

“Right.” Jongdae didn’t seem to believe him but didn’t press the fact “Now let’s ask around and see if anyone saw anything.”

Minseok nodded, rubbing his warm cheeks. He glanced behind him towards the gallery but didn’t see anyone exiting, which was a shame. He wanted to know who could do that to him, without so much as an introduction. Bastard.

***

Luhan should have run out of the gallery, followed after Baekhyun. Except he was very well aware that the man he had been kissing was not Baekhyun. He had realized it when he and bit, at his neck and noticed the birthmark in the low lighting. Baekhyun didn’t have a birthmark there. It was definitely not Baekhyun, yet he hadn’t stopped. Because this felt…different…dare he say right somehow.

Luhan groaned, his tenting his pants. He shouldn’t be doing something like this here- even if he was out of sight and secluded in the alcove. But it would be quick, he knew it would be quick. He was too aroused for it to take long. His hand found his length, opening his pants it was no more than a few quick jerks with the memory of him…that man... as he kissed him and Luhan was coming on his hand, his head thrown back in an ecstasy he had never before felt. Baekhyun had never done this to him, no. But that man…he had made Luhan feel like he was on fire. A need he had never experienced before coursing through him. Who was he?

------------------------------

a/n- Welcome to my new story where Luhan jerks off in the first chapter! *sorry not sorry* I hope you liked it so far, because dayum I should have written this a long time ago.

PS- I will still be updating The Red Shifts, I just needed to put this out there. Because..well…reasons keke.