ϟ Short #4

Telepathetic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everyone was excited for the end of the school year come March, but I was dreading it. Exams were the worst thing ever. Even with the link. Jongin could only help so much. 

I stared at my test sheet, and wondered what on God’s green Earth made me think Greek Mythology would be an easy elective. 

Who would have been most upset to witness Narcissus’ death?

‘Himself,’ Jongin claimed. ‘He loved himself. He would have been the most upset to watch his own death.’ 

I was about to write that down until a thought struck me. Among all the other Greek gods and goddesses, this story had retreated to the background of my memory, but I recalled a nymph was involved. 

‘Echo. She was condemned to only being able to speak the last few things someone has said to her. She fell in love with Narcissus but could never tell him that because he never said it to her.’ 

That’s pretty sad. Imagine if the lightning had actually killed us before we could get to know each other like this. 

‘You think about that a lot, Jinhee.’ 

I just want to remind myself often that I almost never met you, and that I am lucky. 

‘Cute. Very cute, but your test.’ 

See? What would I do without you? 

---

He was thirsty. His mouth was so dry it felt like it was breaking apart. He didn’t want water though. That’s not what would quench this undying thirst. 

---

She felt like she hadn’t eaten in years. Like if she saw a human being, she would pounce, too impatient to even cook the poor person. Was it human flesh she craved? Or something else, something intangible? The shadows danced. 

---

Hana and I walked Thalia to her dorm. Her roommates weren’t in, so we stayed a while longer and made dinner. 

“Shouldn’t you be done packing?” Hana asked, looking at the very lived in suite before us. She reached into all the right cupboards and opened the last three packs of instant ramyun. 

“With all the studying, and last minute readings, none of us have had the time,” Thalia answered. “I’ll figure it out later. My parents are coming to pick me up in two days, so I have all of tomorrow, too.” 

I reached down and found a bunched up shirt on her floor by her bed. Upon further inspection, on the basis of its smell and appearance, I concluded that it belonged to my brother.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter