ϟ 013

Telepathetic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Okay, what equation do I use to solve this question?

 

'Jinhee, this is eleventh grade stuff... It's sinusoidal stuff... You really should know this...' Jongin sounded concerned.

 

Yeah, but what's the use of memorizing it all? I won't need to use any of it in real life.

 

He sighed and gave me the answer I was looking for, correcting me along the way when I did something wrong.

 

I got a couple wrong not only to not get caught cheating by the teacher, but also to not catch my classmates' attention. If they saw me getting good grades in math all of a sudden, they'd want in on my study techniques. The ones that didn't exist.

 

"Ten minutes left," called the teacher.

 

I wasn't worried, because I was on the second to last question.

 

I didn't even need Jongin's help for the last one, it was just like the one above it.

 

I handed in my papers soon after and left with the lot of them, as soon as we were dismissed. I met up with Hana in front of Spanish. As usual, she was on her phone. Probably talking to Chanyeol.

 

My new least favourite EXO member.

 

'Damn it, Chanyeol...'

 

"Good morning," I said. "How is he?"

 

Hana looked up, blushed, and looked back down. "I'm not talking to him now, he's taking a shower."

 

"Not questioning, not questioning, not questioning." Still, when I tried looking over her shoulder to take a peek at her phone, she turned it away from me.

 

"Privacy!" she scolded. She typed and sent something before turning off her screen. "I'm really not talking to Chanyeol."

 

"Whatever," I said, staring at my nails. "We're still on for tonight, right?" We were going to sleep at her house, watching this week's episode of The Search For Love.

 

"Of course!" Her phone buzzed, an incoming text. She tried to subtly glance at it, but she didn't do such a good job. Eventually, Hana unlocked her screen and read the message with a gasp. By habit, I peeked, and this time she didn't stop me.

 

It wasn't a text. It was a picture. Actually, it was a selca. The subject of which was none other than Park Chanyeol himself. His hair was wet and his shoulders were bare, hinting at shirtlessness. Maybe all he was wearing was a towel... Who knows..?

 

'Hey. Your thoughts. I can hear them,' Jongin whined.

 

Crap. Sorry.

 

"Isn't he so cute?" Hana squealed.

 

I wondered where she got "cute". I was thinking "hot", or "y". I mean, it was kind of undeniable.

 

'Yep... Still here...'

 

Can I not even ogle anymore? Geez.

 

"He's, umm, sure, I guess. Cute, yeah. Of course." I tried to ignore Jongin's pointed jabs at my mind.

 

Wait a second. Why do you care so much if I stare at Chanyeol?

 

'Because he's my bandmate and your thoughts, believe it or not, actually affect me.'

 

They do? What do you mean?

 

'For example, ever since you and I happened, I've been doing double takes every time I hear or see the name CoreA, or meet any of the members. Your feelings easily pass over to me, like a cold. Soon I'm going to be having awkward hand brushes and electric currents with Chanyeol because of you.'

 

Damn... Do I really have that much power over you?

 

'Unfortunately, yes.'

 

On second thought, I already knew about all that, too. It happened to me just as much. Like, I would hear a song that was right up his alley and immediately feel like dancing, or I would find a kaisoo fic and immediately be disgusted.

 

"Umm, so, about tonight... Is your sister going to be there? Because you said she likes Somin, right?" I wasn't sure I could stand watching the show with a Sominion. God, as if a trainee could have a fanclub...

 

'There's something I don't understand. I thought you loved INK Media, Mini INK and all?'

 

I do.

 

'But you hate Somin..?'

 

No. I hate the idea of Somin in 4rang. Also the concept of trainee fans. Both are ridiculous.

 

Señora Rodriguez only showed up after the entire class had gathered outside the locked door. She was smiling as she waddled over comically to to door, keys jingling on her school lanyard. "Great! No one has to be marked late!" She opened the door and the lights before adding, "Again."

 

Ever since we gave her our gift of paintings from El Salvador, her home country, she's been all that much happier. She showed us pictures of what they looked like hanging on her new living room walls. She really seemed to be taking the divorce better. Either that, or she was learning how to keep her sadness hidden from us.

 

"You guys ready to finish yesterday's movie?" asked Señora. Obviously, everyone was ready for a free period.

 

Out of nowhere, I yawned. I took my seat next to Hana and took out my phone. I was planning on watching some Gag Concert on YouTube, but I remembered how yesterday I had burst out laughing at the saddest part of the movie everyone else was watching. Instead I just stuck to watching old episodes of CoreA Hour, marvelling at how much the members had changed since 2013.

 

I was so enthralled by everything that I had already seen, it was kind of weird. For some reason, it felt like I was watching for the first time. Then I realized it: Jongin was watching for the first time.

 

It was getting really concerning, how I couldn't differentiate between my feelings and his feelings anymore. Do you think there's a way to cure this? I asked him.

 

'Talk to me after the episode,' he replied, scaring me with how much he sounded like me.

 

I shut off my phone. No, Jongin, this is important. We are becoming each other. Doesn't that worry you at all?

 

'Why should it? I've always wanted to be a popular tumblr blogger.' He wasn't taking it seriously.

 

Why wasn't he taking this seriously?

 

'You want serious? I'll give you serious. I am not worried because I am confident that I know myself and you enough to differentiate between us. If you're that scared of this, I'd actually just suggest doing some research on me. Because, hey, we have no idea how this link happened in the first place. How the hell do we even begin searching for a cure?'

 

I bit my lip. He was right. Dammit.

 

'Of course I'm right.'

 

Could you at least try to stop sounding like me?

 

'Oh, that? I'm doing that on purpose to freak you out,' he laughed.

 

I hate you.

 

'Of course you do.'

 

And suddenly I had an amazing idea.

 

'Oh no. Jinhee, don't you dare. Jinhee. No. Stop.'

 

But as much as he wanted to, Jongin couldn't control my fingers as I typed the letters on the address bar. When the blue heading loaded, followed by the actual content of the site, all I had to do was search up that one magic word...

 

Kaisoo.

 

'Don't cross that line, Jinhee. I'm warning you.'

 

What will you do? Read LowKey?

 

'That would be stooping to your level. I'm thinking higher. I'll befriend your precious J-Key and get him to fall in love with you... And then tell him we're dating.'

 

You wouldn't.

 

'Click that link and find out.'

 

After some pause and reflection I closed the tab, to Jongin's satisfaction.

 

But could you do the first part of that scenario anyway?

 

'Not without incentive. What's in it for me besides being forced to third-wheel like an invisible conjoined twin?'

 

I sighed. I had nothing to offer him. Yet another J-Key plan flopped. I wondered why I even dreamed anymore, but then I pictured his handsome face and it all came back to me.

 

I could feel Jongin snickering. 'You're so smitten.'

 

As the credits rolled on the projector, Señora got up to flip on the lights. "Technically, Señor Torres' class has to write a worksheet on the movie, but I am really not in the mood to grade. We'll do it collectively tomorrow, alright? Class dismissed."

 

We had two extra minutes before the bell rang and gave us our five minutes of travel time.

 

"Who do you think will come first tonight?" Hana asked.

 

I had to be honest. "Probably Gayeon. She has background in dance. This week and next week will most likely be hers."

 

"Unless she gets cocky. My bet's on Dalbit. If anything, she'll practice hard enough to be the Kai of 4rang."

 

At the mention of Jongin's stage name, I subconsciously smiled. Thankfully, Hana wasn't looking. "Well, if we're including practice, I still believe Woori is capable of anything."

 

"I feel like Woori's going to disappoint us. I don't know, it's a hunch." My friend started walking towards our lockers as the regular dismissal bell rang.

 

It was hard to concentrate in Photography, what with my phone buzzing with tumblr notifications. Sure, the website was blocked by my school WiFi, but I had my own data plan. Probably shouldn’t have used it to quickly post "sometimes i think corea is unrelatable being idols and super hot and all but then i remember one time falcon threw an entire watermelon at vesta when he was doing too much aegyo", but what's done is done.

 

Dr. Gregory had assigned us an "Artificial Nature" project, which turned out to be as pretentious as it sounded. Basically, "Artificial Nature" was a term up to us to define, and once we did, photograph. For fear of paving a path for us instead of letting us find our own way, she wouldn't show us any old examples. "There is no wrong answer," she said.

 

We were allowed to roam the school grounds, armed with a camera. I thought about the display of plastic flowers the Drama department had used as a set piece in last year's production of the Little Shop of Horrors, but I saw a few kids going in that direction as well

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter