Chapter 11

Case EXOTIC

A/N If you are reading until now...thank you so much....even to ghost readers:) A long chapter for you guys :)

 

Soohyun's POV

My eyes flickered open to a dimly lit room.  A faint smell of disinfectants crawled up my nose with a continuous beeping sounding somewhere close.

“Soohyun? Soohyun you’re awake! How do you feel? Does anything hurt?” I could hear the soft, worried tone of Taeyeon unnie’s voice but I could not see her.

My head, for some reason, couldn’t or should I say, wouldn’t turn. And it wasn’t just my head, my entire body felt numb and disconnected.

“It’s the anesthetics sweetie. It seems like it hasn’t worn out yet. But when it does, it’ll hurt, so you must tell me where it hurts okay?” Taeyeon unnie moved closer to me, so she could hover over my bed and I could see her.

“Unnie…” my voice came out croaky, “why are you crying?”

Taeyeon unnie sniffed as she wiped her tears away. “Oh god Soohyun, you have no idea. You have no idea how scared I was after you left. H-Ho-How could you just leave like that? And when they found out that you were taken- do you know how worried I was. I was so scared. I don’t even want to think about what they did to you to make you look like that. I thought, I thought you were dead when they sent you to the hospital like that.” Taeyeon unnie’s voice was louder as she half cried and half spoke.

I wanted to hug her but my damn fingers wouldn’t even budge.

“I’m sorry unnie. I didn’t mean to-“                  

Unnie collapsed onto me, “I’m sorry Soohyun, I didn’t mean to scream at you. It’s not your fault. I’m sorry it came out like that. I was just really, really worried sick.” She sniffed back her tears.

I heard some foot step enter the room, “Taeyeon, you shouldn’t put too much pressure on her chest,” It was a low, gentle voice.

Taeyeon unnie lifted her weight off my body, “oh my god, I’m sorry Soohyun! Did I hurt you? D.O, you should come give her a check up.”

D.O’s sturdy footsteps made its way closer to my bed.

“How are you feeling Soohyun-shi? Do you feel any pain?” His voice was so soft and soothing.

“Hello again D.O-shi, I must be such a disappointing patient, this is my second time seeing you within 24 hrs.”

“ I’m sorry you had to go through what you did,” D.O’s sincere apology completely caught me off guard.

“No, no, no, I don’t mean to blame you. Seriously, why are you guys all apologizing when I was the one who chose to leave?”

“ We promised you protection, and we failed. This is our fault,” D.O said sternly as his head hung low.

“I’m so sorry Soohyun, I’m so sorry you had to go through this….” Taeyeon unnie’s voice threatened to cry again.

I sighed.

 “Ok then, why don’t we change the subject….How about D.O-shi resumes my check up?”

“If that is what you wish,” D.O’s avoided meeting my eyes.

The whole check-up felt awfully long since no one really spoke. And when D.O did, there was an obvious hint of guilt in there.

After I thanked D.O and he had left, I started to feel my limbs again. And along with the ability to move my head, and slightly my arms, came an arising sensation of pain. But so far, it wasn’t too bad.

I turned my head to look outside the hospital windows, through the gaps in the blinds; I could see strips of the dark blue sky. Quietly, I took the time to watch the grey moon crawl out from behind the clouds but inside. It felt like I haven't seen the sunlight for a long, long time.

“Taeyeon unnie, how long have I been asleep for?”

She came closer to me and sat down at the edge of my bed. Her hand rested on my head as she gently brushed her fingers through my hair as she spoke.

“You were sent into the hospital around one or two this morning, it’s around eleven now, so that’s around twenty hours or so that you’ve been unconscious.”

I remained silent as I focused on her fingers through my hair. I snuggled closer to her.

“ You know unnie, it’s weird that I hardly know you yet I feel like I’ve known you forever. You feel like that long lost sister that I’ve always wanted but never had.”

I heard Taeyeon unnie chuckle quietly, “well now I’m here. And I promise I will always be there for you whenever you need me.”

I smiled. I didn’t know if she meant her words. But just her words was enough for me. Having someone “be there” for me, was a privilege that disappeared along with Omma. And it felt so warm knowing that she will just "be there".

There was a knocking at the door.

“Sorry to disturb your loving reunion but I think it’s best if Soohyun-shi gets some food into her system,” it was a boyish, husky voice that spoke.

Taeyeon unnie helped me sit up in my bed so I could see who it was that spoke.

Walking into the room was a tall, lean boy dressed in a dark navy shirt tucked into some fitting black jeans. His hair was slightly messy looking which gave him a lazy, laid-back, sort-a manner. Our eyes met, and he gave me his signature grin. I returned his smile shyly.

Kai walked into the room, with two plastic bags that gave of a delicious aroma that set my stomach growling. He made his way to my bed and kneeled down to reach for the folding table tucked at the side of my bed. Swiftly, he pulled out the table and set out the delicious, hot, steaming food before me.

“So for today’s menu we have Juk. Sorry Soohyun-shi but doctors said to lay off anything that’s too pungent,” Kai lifted the lids of the containers and released the unbearably delicious aroma of the contents.

My stomach growled, a little too loudly, and my cheeks went warm. “Kamsamnida Kai-shi, you’re a life saver. And just call me Soohyun, it’s fine.”

 

Kai leaned casually on the temporary table. He playfully leaned forward towards me, “Say Soohyun, shouldn’t you call me Kai-oppa?” He smiled cheekily.

I blinked dumb-folded, not sure how to react.

“ Yah Kai, stop teasing the poor girl,” Taeyeon unnie called from the other side of the room where she busy chugging down her portion of rice porridge.

I my lips as my cheeks warmed again, “g-gomawo Kai oppa.”

He smiled at me.

I took a big spoonful of the warm rice porridge and smiled back.

 

The room was silent except for the slurping of me and Taeyeon unnie.

“Woah…you girls looked like you’ve been starved for three days or something,” Kai said in awe.

“ Well it’s worse for Soohyunnie….” Taeyeon unnie said between mouthfuls.

“ And here you are on your second bowl noona."

“ Well mental stress can be just as exhausting.”

Kai scoffed as he rolled his eyes.

“ Looks like if one day your future husband goes bankrupt, it’ll probably be because of that appetite of yours. Oh, but then again Baekhyun hyung has more than enough for you to eat. By the day he reaches bankruptcy, you’d be on the Genius World Records.“

“What did you say?” Taeyeon glared at Kai.

“Nothing ma’am.” Kai immediately shut up.

I broke out in a fit of laughter.

 

After listening to more fights between Kai and Taeyeon, Kai had to leave to a meeting.

“Soohyun we are very sorry about what happened. It might take some time for you to hear from us but when you do, It’ll be from Suho. I’ve given orders around here already, so feel free to ask for anything you want. Rest well.”

“ Gomawo Kai oppa. This is already more than enough,” I smiled at him.

“This is far from it,” he gave me an apologetic smile before leaving the room.

I turned to look at Taeyeon unnie and she immediately understood me.

“Yes, Soohyun. They own this hospital. As well as many other facilities you can possibly imagine,” she told me in a voice which sounded as if she was still just as shocked as I was.

 After a while Kai had left, I suddenly remembered something very important that I had forgotten to ask Taeyeon unnie.

“Unnie, who was it that came to save me? I know he’s from EXO.”

Taeyeon unnie looked up from a magazine she was reading.

“Oh, right, I had forgotten to tell you. It was-“suddenly her phone rings, cutting her speech.

“Mianhae Soohyun, let me take this call first okay?”

“Go for it.”

 

Not soon after unnie left. A surprising visitor came. Someone I’d least expect to come.

Oh Sehun.

“Well, it looks like you’re alive,” he said casually as he slowly made his way towards me.

He stopped a few meters away as if I had some sort of spreadable disease.

“Well I’d assume you’d be the happiest person to see my wellbeing,” I replied sarcastically.

His expression was something unreadable.

“So who would you say truly cares for your wellbeing?”

“Well I wouldn’t say anyone truly cares for me here. This is still all part of the deal isn’t it? But more than you, I’d say Taeyeon unnie, Kai oppa, or even …..”

Mr Black.

But who was Mr Black?

“Even?”

“Nope. That’s it.” I replied.

“How about the person who saved you?” Sehun asked me.

I didn’t know how to reply so I bit my lips instead and stayed silent.

Sehun scoffed. There was a sense of frustration in his voice, “You are very grateful aren’t you.”

I folded my arms and looked away. “Well, at least it’s not you.”

Sehun went silent.

The frustration had left his voice, leaving a low, monotone behind.

He carefully asked, “So, who do you think saved you?”

I shrugged, still not looking at him.

“I don’t now. Anyone in EXO except you,” I coughed the last words out. My throat was getting dry from the talking.

Sehun just remained there silently, unmoving like those Greek statues.

I continued to cough.

I slapped my chest to try and calm the cough but it just wouldn’t leave. Instead it started getting worse as my body started to shake; I could feel suddenly jabs of pain over my body.

I needed water.

“Sehun, can you pass me the water?”

He didn’t reply.

“Please?”

The pain was getting worse now that the anesthetic was wearing off.

“Get it yourself,” his cold voice replied to me.

I shot him a stare.

He was such a jerk.

 

Pissed, I flipped the blanket off of me, and for the first time I got to see my mummified body underneath the hospital garment.

“What the hell are you doi-“

Before he could finish his sentence, I already flipped myself out of my bed.

And that was a very bad choice.

To begin with, I had moved way too quickly. And my blood flow could not keep up with my movements.

So the moment I set my bare foot onto the cold marble floor, I went light headed and I fell.

My whole body just dropped like a sack, hard onto the marble floor.

I screamed as the impact awoken all my senses and I could feel the full extent of the pain.

The wounds of my back felt so fresh that I think I might have just torn then open again.

“Soohyun! What the are you doing?”

 Sehun scooped me up from the floor as if I was weightless.

I bit back a cry as Sehun’s slightest touch created the worst stinging pain you could imagine. My hands clenched tightly at his shirt as he held me in his arms and made his way carefully to the bed.

Surprisingly, he was very gentle as he placed me back onto the bed but I still ended up letting out a whine of pain.

“You are so ing stupid you know,” he muttered under his breath as he retreated away.

I shifted in my bed to get into a more comfortable position.

“ Well, I needed water and somebody wouldn’t get it for me,” I folded my arms across my chest.

Frustrated, Sehun made his way silently to the coffee table to fetch me a cup of water.

I winched as I reached for the cup.

God everything hurts so much.

“I’ll go get the doctor.”

“No don’t,” I grabbed the side of his shirt.

“Then let me get D.O,” I pulled his shirt.

“Nope. That’s definitely a no no. I don’t want him here apologizing for every five minutes.”

“Then what do you want me to do?”

I thought for a while.

“Could you stay here until Taeyeon unnie comes back? In case I need more water you know.” The second bit was a lie.

Sehun rolled his eyes.

“You can let go of my shirt now, you’re going to rip it any second now,” he said in his usual monotone.

“Ahh…minahae…” I released his shirt nicely ironed shirt that was now all messy and crumbled. I chuckled quietly.

He pulled a chair and sat right next to my bed. He folded his arms as his tiny eyes glared at me.

“That’s kinda close for our current relationship don’t you think?” I tried moving to the opposite side of the bed.

He didn’t talk. He just remained there silently and watching me.

“You’re creeping me out.”

He continued to watch me.

“ Actually, I change my mind. You can leave. Please leave.”

He crossed one leg over the other, and leaned back comfortably in his chair. “Nope, I’m going to sit here and make sure you don’t get yourself killed. Or else, I might just randomly get accused of murder.”

I was too tired to argue with him so I let out a huge sigh of annoyance as I sunk into my pillow. I turned to the side so that I didn’t have to look at Sehun’s ugly face.

Actually, it wasn’t so ugly.

My eyelids felt heavy, and I wanted to fall into slumber but I was scared to close my eyes. I was scared to face darkness because back then, darkness was always awoken by a pain.

So instead, I tried to talk to keep myself awake.

“By the way, I didn’t give you permission to call me by my name,” I told Sehun.

“But you called me by mine first,” Sehun replied in his arrogant tone.

“Tch. You’re so childish.”

“You know, you should just sleep and keep your mouth shut. When you talk, you only scream, and it ruins the image,” Sehun added.

I turned to face Sehun. “I do not scream!”

“You’re doing it right now,”

Frustrated, I pulled the blanket over my head.

“You are so annoying. You do know that right Sehun?” I said underneath the blanket.

“I am told,” he replied casually.

I heard him take a deep sigh. “You should seriously get some rest. I’m right here.”

I pulled the covers down so I could peer at Sehun.

“That is exactly why I can’t sleep.”

That was a lie.

“Then I guess you’ll be up for the whole night.”

I let out a frustrated moan as I turned my back on him once more.

Sehun remained quiet, almost silent, but for some reason it didn’t feel awkward. It felt like there wasn’t anyone here, but then, there is, so I knew that I didn’t have to worry.

It wasn’t long before my eyelids begun to feel heavy because it had wanted to close the whole time. The soft blanket sent a warmth through my body that replaced the stinging pain. And before I went into slumber, I muttered the words that I’ve kept in all along.

“Gomawo, Mr Black.” 

 

A/N Kai or Sehun? Hahahah XD Soohyun's final obstacle before she can enter EXO will be unraveled next chapter! Thank you for subscribing to this story, it really means alot to me as this is my very first proper fanfic. Leave a comment, anything you like:)

Ciao,  

PS... I have exams next week.... so possibly, I won't be able to post next weekend(because I don't have enough chapters) but I'll definetely try to!